Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1080

Covid and your kids

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Having lost our first kid at birth, I can say with certainty I would hot have risked sending a pre k or K kid to public school unvaxed in this environment. If I could be sure they'd be in at least a KN95 mask 100% of the time around other people all good. 8 years old is probably mature enough. No way in hell that 4 or 5 is..
    You live in the south right?

If so I don’t blame you.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The district my 3 kids are in is featured in this article. Our county does not have enough substitute teachers anymore, especially with Covid quarantines. Last week none of my kids went to school because all three had headaches or runny noses when they woke up which is on the symptom check list, but typical for them. It took 2 days to get a pcr test and we didn’t receive results ( - ) until Friday.

https://calmatters.org/education/k-1...C_qZ9Xt9S0awzw

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    kids have still proven pretty resilient no? I mean I have seen an uptick with Delta, but still low compared to adults.
    There was a chart in the rat flu thread that I can't find, but as I recall, in Israel, roughly 40% of new cases were kids.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Having lost our first kid at birth, I can say with certainty I would hot have risked sending a pre k or K kid to public school unvaxed in this environment. If I could be sure they'd be in at least a KN95 mask 100% of the time around other people all good. 8 years old is probably mature enough. No way in hell that 4 or 5 is..
    Had a stillbirth. It sucks. Sorry man.

And yet I’m ok with no vax and no mask for my boys.

They both got Rona anyways. Barely any symptoms.
    And now they have natural immunity

But even if they didn’t get Rona I would be ok with them not masking

But I also respect the right for each of us to evaluate risk
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    There was a chart in the rat flu thread that I can't find, but as I recall, in Israel, roughly 40% of new cases were kids.
    Yes but what didn't those cases equate to? Mild? Hospital? Vents??death? That's what I can't really figure

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But I also respect the right for each of us to evaluate risk
    WHAAA??!!! TGR be like:

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    WHAAA??!!! TGR be like:

When your choices impact other people - yeah, don't be an asshole.

Per CS's post above - he's ok with no mask and unvaxed kids - I'm not. I don't want my kid to be next to his plague-carriers because he believes in freedumb and not in public health, because you know he'll send them to school in whatever condition with that attitude.

I kinda get your take. Libertarian is fine when your in your own home doing god knows what. Or hucking a giant cliff with no one below you on an avalanche slopes

Rona is more like poaching a closed area above a populated groomer. It’s not just about you.

Even so. I know the rona risks for children are overrated. And the effectiveness of masks is overrated.

Ymmv
    . . .

Yes but what didn't those cases equate to? Mild? Hospital? Vents??death? That's what I can't really figure

Fauci today said 25% of new cases in U.S. are among kids. Still pretty mild cases for the most part, though Delta is worse than Alpha. He didn't have any stats on serious cases among kids. Regardless, I feel for parents having to send unvaccinated kids to school.

My teens are starting second week of high school this week. High school kids aren't wearing masks for the most part. It's "recommended," but when you say that to HS kids you are basically putting them in a no-win situation. My oldest would happily wear a mask, and she does in certain situations at school, but she's a teenager and doesn't want to be one of the only ones wearing a mask. The younger one absolutely does not want to wear a mask again this year, and won't unless forced. I don't push them one way or the other. So far it seems to be going okay, a few cases. Meanwhile our local ICU is packed with unvaxxed covidiots, dying for their foolish cause, so there's definitely a lot of community spread going on.

At least they get to go to football games and stuff like that this year. Not being able to attend sports games really crushed them last year. Seems like a small thing but to them it's not.

I kinda get your take. Libertarian is fine when your in your own home doing god knows what. Or hucking a giant cliff with no one below you on an avalanche slopes

Rona is more like poaching a closed area above a populated groomer. It’s not just about you.

Even so. I know the rona risks for children are overrated. And the effectiveness of masks is overrated.

Ymmv
    What if a bunch of S&R people die rescuing you after you miss judge that huck? Because you primed some adjoining instability with your crash and burn and they were the trigger? That'd be pretty fucking selfish. Maybe you should have a DNR (Do Not Rescue) beacon made up. Like a reverse SPOT. They can mark the location for spring retrieval. Of course you'll put your family through some shit in the process.

Here 25% of the COVID hospitalizations are now kids.. Is there still some point you are trying to make there?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Here 25% of the COVID hospitalizations are now kids.. Is there still some point you are trying to make there?
    Not really. Pretty much what I saw too. Still seems kids are rather resilient in general.

Still not a lot of good info about long Covid and kids.

Personally, I’ve known a few kids that have caught covid that are still dealing with symptoms after one month. Lingering cough. Fit/athletic kids that and middle schooled aged. Too young to be vaxed.

Ymmv
    Yep, that's the thing with public health - you can't separate the individual from the populace in terms of risk management very well, and things like vaccines only shine when you get that wide adoption to stamp out the sinks of the virus.
    As far as kids - are you going to sign up for your kid to be the 1 out of 100k that will die? No? Masking is very easy and when it's universal it's all kids on even footing. Once every kid is vaccinated in the school and this surge dies down, you can relax things.

I have to imagine I am like most parents with kids who can’t get a COVID vaccine, just hoping the daycare protocols limit the risk of contracting the disease and that the vaccine comes soon.

I’m intensely frustrated that there is little data available about hospitalization rates with the new variants and the incidence of long term side effects in kids so I can make a better risk decision. IE - is it more or less likely to cause death or injury than driving to daycare, etc.

I’m not feeling good on the daycare protocol front as we have had a number of coughs/colds come through that weren’t COVID and had a classroom isolate last month. Our daycare has been pretty kickass at cleaning, classroom segregation, etc too. Kids have been there since last summer and there hasn’t been a documented COVID case except for last month the entire time.

It’s entirely possible that’s because the the families and staff follow recommended protocols beyond the daycare, as opposed to just relying on the daycare’s safety measures

Yesterday, the county reported 71 new cases in kids 17 and under. County population is about 100k. No additional details available. These are likely from tests administered on Friday and maybe Saturday.

Whomper, Where are you located ?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Whomper, Where are you located ?
    Western Nevada County

Thx for clarifying. I thought it was something like that but your comments about local demographics confused me

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Thx for clarifying. I thought it was something like that but your comments about local demographics confused me
    I’ve been too lazy to figure out home many residents live in east versus west county. Most cases are in west county.

Our HS district just announced roll-out of a short-term (State) and long-term (contractor rapid testing program. The long-term program is not a surveillance program. They also have contracted a contact tracing company with 5 contact tracers on campuses dealing.

This should help a lot at the high schools.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Our HS district just announced roll-out of a short-term (State) and long-term (contractor rapid testing program. The long-term program is not a surveillance program. They also have contracted a contact tracing company with 5 contact tracers on campuses dealing.

This should help a lot at the high schools.
    Sorry, but this is surveillance 100%. Not trying to be a dick, just reality. Without detailed records (read as on a computer), the program is useless.

Covid and your kids

Sorry, but this is surveillance 100%. Not trying to be a dick, just reality. Without detailed records (read as on a computer), the program is useless.

Long term program:
    “These testing services will support the modified quarantine and shortened quarantine process for students, allowing them to remain on campus when they have had "close contact on-campus" exposure.”

Surveillance program is compulsory on a frequent basis, no?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Long term program:
    “These testing services will support the modified quarantine and shortened quarantine process for students, allowing them to remain on campus when they have had "close contact on-campus" exposure.”

Surveillance program is compulsory on a frequent basis, no?
    It's of "record", likely on a computer, with verification access of some sort..

Personally, this goes to far. You make your own choices and save the "you have a cell phone" shit for someone else.