Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    ...the rate is only 500 cases per 100,000 children
    Not exactly what's being said in the linked information...but you know that, I think.

What's being said is that we know fuckall about what the actual risk is for kids going back to school. Huge variance in percentage of cases identified in the number of tests completed. some states not reporting stats by age (NY, TX, for example). Point is, we don't know if the 501 in 100K number is precise or wildly inaccurate due to shitball testing.

That stat also doesn't do anything to quell concerns many have over lasting health issues from the virus.

I don't think you've put much thought into this.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

@Montucky - it is about the data. Kids can be carriers so you'd have to look at the adult death rate as well. Also, there is no reason schools can't go remote for a semester with special options available for special Ed etc.
    That's what some districts near me have done.
    Also, when you're messing with something that can't be replaced, stats go out the window to an extent as nothing will fill the gap if I pull the wrong ticket.
    Additionally, there is no way you can ask for people to self sacrifice when federal response has been so shit and even most of the Republicans are keeping their kids home.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    @Montucky - it is about the data. Kids can be carriers so you'd have to look at the adult death rate as well.
    Yup. That's really what the whole worry of kids is about. It's not THEM getting sick or dying that people are really. It's the fear of them transmitting to adults. I just wish people were being more honest about that. Don't say we should keep schools shut down for the children when it's really about the adults.

Also, there is no reason schools can't go remote for a semester with special options available for special Ed etc.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Perhaps this is true in your neck of the woods. No idea how yours stacks socioeconomically, but by and large people on these forums are doing alright for themselves, so I'll go with that. On the flip side, you have gigantic swathes of America where distance learning means that those kids are going to be utterly left behind.
    LA County is a good example: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...tudents-absent
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/u...ce-absent.html
    Perhaps YOU guys (and many, many other good parents here on TGR) are going to ensure your kids log on, do their school work, etc., but what about the massive percentage of children whose parents themselves can't work remotely (ie or blue collar jobs, essential workers), kids in single parent households, or parents who honestly just don't care about their kids' education as many here?

The disparities in education due to home environments were already bad enough as it was pre-COVID, but now those same households are REALLY boned. My wife's an educator in a school district with nearly 70,000 students. Many of the schools in her area of responsibility are in overwhelmingly Hispanic (English as a second language at that) and African-American communities. Most of those are in poorer neighborhoods. Back in April/May, she was telling me about how atrocious the online participation was in those schools. The overwhelming majority of those kids simply not logging in, despite all kids being issued laptops. Could be internet issues at home. Libraries are done for, so there goes that option. Most likely though, it's simply parents not being involved enough. Due to a variety of reasons, having to work outside the home long hours being chief among them. Or simply not caring as much. Definitely a factor. These kid NEED school.

Many here on these boards love to talk about income disparities in America. That is often linked with education. Kids from poor families of this generation are SCREWED if they fall behind much further. Whereas all of YOUR kids are going to be just fine since they had parents who made sure their educations continued. Everyone here should take a moment to reflect on that if they truly want to tighten those wealth gaps for the next generation. Already this year with the continued lockdowns, all that's done is widen said wealth gaps even further while America's poor spirals further down, which now includes myself.

Yup. That's really what the whole worry of kids is about. It's not THEM getting sick or dying that people are really. It's the fear of them transmitting to adults. I just wish people were being more honest about that. Don't say we should keep schools shut down for the children when it's really about the adults.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Perhaps this is true in your neck of the woods. No idea how yours stacks socioeconomically, but by and large people on these forums are doing alright for themselves, so I'll go with that. On the flip side, you have gigantic swathes of America where distance learning means that those kids are going to be utterly left behind.
    LA County is a good example: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...tudents-absent
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/u...ce-absent.html
    Perhaps YOU guys (and many, many other good parents here on TGR) are going to ensure your kids log on, do their school work, etc., but what about the massive percentage of children whose parents themselves can't work remotely (ie or blue collar jobs, essential workers), kids in single parent households, or parents who honestly just don't care about their kids' education as many here?

The disparities in education due to home environments were already bad enough as it was pre-COVID, but now those same households are REALLY boned. My wife's an educator in a school district with nearly 70,000 students. Many of the schools in her area of responsibility are in overwhelmingly Hispanic (English as a second language at that) and African-American communities. Most of those are in poorer neighborhoods. Back in April/May, she was telling me about how atrocious the online participation was in those schools. The overwhelming majority of those kids simply not logging in, despite all kids being issued laptops. Could be internet issues at home. Libraries are done for, so there goes that option. Most likely though, it's simply parents not being involved enough. Due to a variety of reasons, having to work outside the home long hours being chief among them. Or simply not caring as much. Definitely a factor. These kid NEED school.

Many here on these boards love to talk about income disparities in America. That is often linked with education. Kids from poor families of this generation are SCREWED if they fall behind much further. Whereas all of YOUR kids are going to be just fine since they had parents who made sure their educations continued. Everyone here should take a moment to reflect on that if they truly want to tighten those wealth gaps for the next generation. Already this year with the continued lockdowns, all that's done is widen said wealth gaps even further while America's poor spirals further down, which now includes myself.
    jfc. No fucking shit. State the obvious much? Every school district has its share of kids in need and teachers are stressed over the entire situation.

Kids that need child care or death of teacher...hmmm.

And fuck off with your words in caps.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    jfc. No fucking shit. State the obvious much? Every school district has its share of kids in need and teachers are stressed over the entire situation.

Kids that need child care or death of teacher...hmmm.

And fuck off with your words in caps.
    Like I said, doesn't seem like Austin has thought this through very much.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

It’s really painful to read

Hey Montucky, while I agree that some groups while be disproportionally impacted by schools being closed to in-person classes, much of your post comes across as a racist screed. The idea that Black and Latinx families don't value education as much their White counterparts has been thoroughly debunked by multiple research approaches. The same can be said for just about every cultural deprivation theory invented to explain the so-called "achievement gap" while ignoring underlying social and racial inequalities and the proven bias in assessments. Blaming families is some straight up White-supremacist bullshit. It's up there with spouting off on the cabal of Jewish bankers who secretly rule the world.

The real reason kids don't show up for school? They don't like being treated like idiots and having their time wasted. And neither do their parents. If your wife and other adults at her school believe the same kind of crap you posted, I don't blame those kids one bit for finding something better to do with their time.

He is an admitted racist, why the surprise?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Like I said, doesn't seem like Austin has thought this through very much.
    Quite the contrary, my dear Allerbush. When running the cost/benefit analysis on infinite lockdowns and school shut downs, the cost to society far outweighs the benefits. Both in terms of socially and economically.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Hey Montucky, while I agree that some groups while be disproportionally impacted by schools being closed to in-person classes, much of your post comes across as a racist screed. The idea that Black and Latinx families don't value education as much their White counterparts has been thoroughly debunked by multiple research approaches. The same can be said for just about every cultural deprivation theory invented to explain the so-called "achievement gap" while ignoring underlying social and racial inequalities and the proven bias in assessments. Blaming families is some straight up White-supremacist bullshit. It's up there with spouting off on the cabal of Jewish bankers who secretly rule the world.

The real reason kids don't show up for school? They don't like being treated like idiots and having their time wasted. And neither do their parents. If your wife and other adults at her school believe the same kind of crap you posted, I don't blame those kids one bit for finding something better to do with their time.
    Lol. First off, the fact that you say "Latinx" shows you have no clue. Also, I didn't say simply black or Latino families. I specified that these were in poorer neighborhoods. I also specified that "Due to a variety of reasons, having to work outside the home long hours being chief among them."

Funny how like 2 seconds ago, pre-COVID, many Liberals (especially among the education world) were literally making my exact same arguments about the many reasons that public schools were so necessary. SPECIFICALLY in poor minority neighborhoods. Or have you all forgotten that already?

Wife and I both work in extremely impoverished areas and the people who live there and work with us are also our closest circle of peers these days, but sure. Go ahead and feel free to tell us what's up from up yonder on thine golden towers.

Your reasons about kids not coming to school has nothing to do with not showing up for their online Zoom classes. Try again. Look at the data, read the articles that outline what I'm talking about, perhaps talk to people who work in those districts, and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    He is an admitted racist, why the surprise?
    When did you stop beating your wife and diddling kids, huh?

Lol. First off, the fact that you say "Latinx" shows you have no clue. Also, I didn't say simply black or Latino families. I specified that these were in poorer neighborhoods. I also specified that "Due to a variety of reasons, having to work outside the home long hours being chief among them."

Funny how like 2 seconds ago, pre-COVID, many Liberals (especially among the education world) were literally making my exact same arguments about the many reasons that public schools were so necessary. SPECIFICALLY in poor minority neighborhoods. Or have you all forgotten that already?

Wife and I both work in extremely impoverished areas and the people who live there and work with us are also our closest circle of peers these days, but sure. Go ahead and feel free to tell us what's up from up yonder on thine golden towers.

Your reasons about kids not coming to school has nothing to do with not showing up for their online Zoom classes. Try again. Look at the data, read the articles that outline what I'm talking about, perhaps talk to people who work in those districts, and try again.
    You have many black friends so you aren't racist, amirite?

And saying ISBD should look at the data because you know better than him is pretty funny.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    And saying ISBD should look at the data because you know better than him is pretty funny.
    Pretty sure one of them is working on a doctorate in education focused on equity issues, and the other isn't. I'll let you guess which is which.

Let me be more clear:
    Your malinformed ass doesn't get to decide on shit related to my kids health. Also, if you actually gave half a shit about kids you wouldn't be spouting the talking points of the fucking douche nozzles that cut SNAP funding and put kids in cages. It's just convenient for the current Trumpy bootlicking.
    Also, roughly ~20% (last I checked) of COVID cases see extended complications that aren't fully understood.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Pretty sure one of them is working on a doctorate in education focused on equity issues, and the other isn't. I'll let you guess which is which.
    Ah. So no bias there then, hm? Seems to be viewing it through the lens of academia with a particular target in mind. My wife's no slouch either if you want to play the street cred card. Got her Masters in her field. Interestingly enough, the research for her thesis paper turned everything upside down in colleges everywhere about the topic. She went into it with one theory, but the research proved the opposite. Her professor hated it, then loved it for being so bold and honest, and got ran up the flagpole so to speak. Needless to say, she knows her shit in regard to education and also has sights set on a doctorate in order to become a professor, which many of her Superintendents and Principles have begged her to be since she's actually pretty influential in her field with other districts and education consulting firms always trying to poach her. Real world experience and all that. She's kind of a badass.

And you aren't, got it.

Ah. So no bias there then, hm? Seems to be viewing it through the lens of academia with a particular target in mind. My wife's no slouch either if you want to play the street cred card. Got her Masters in her field. Interestingly enough, the research for her thesis paper turned everything upside down in colleges everywhere about the topic. She went into it with one theory, but the research proved the opposite. Her professor hated it, then loved it for being so bold and honest, and got ran up the flagpole so to speak. Needless to say, she knows her shit in regard to education and also has sights set on a doctorate in order to become a professor, which many of her Superintendents and Principles have begged her to be since she's actually pretty influential in her field with other districts and education consulting firms always trying to poach her. Real world experience and all that. She's kind of a badass.
    so he's biased, with his real life experience and now academia, but your wife's real life experience and academia makes her a badass who is not biased and her badassery trumps him? God, you're dumb and a tool.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

So if your wife is so influential, has she made any headway in changing the history textbooks in Texas to actually teach the truth instead of covering it up?

Covid and your kids

https://www.hcn.org/articles/indigen...ans-can-expect

It sounds like
    These students are better off at home than going to the schools the state sees fit to give them. Maybe the Texan’s wife’s revolutionary ideas could help.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

As long as they aren't evolutionary ideas. Texas still trying to figure that one out.

One town has two days on three days at home. Wednesday everyone at home for disinfection. What a stupid idea.

The next town over is one week on one week off.
    That makes more sense. For learning.
    But also for working parents.

Daycares could be setup to take kids alternate weeks. How do they do three days a week when no one is in school on Wednesday? Not enough daycare capacity.
    . . .

And you aren't, got it.
    Oh, I'm biased. Never hidden that. I'm just part of the tiny, miniscule percentage of dissenting opinions here from the TGR groupthink, which seems strictly verboten. Would be so much easier to just go with the flow, but alas. I prefer to think critically as well as expose myself to views that oppose mine. Heck, it's why I even hang out with all you turds. I hate echo chambers of my own thinking. Why I've never exactly hung in conservative circles, online or otherwise.

Interesting how conservatively slanted ideology has become basically the counter-culture of the modern era.

However this is about Kids and COVID, so I digress. Apologies. Carry on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Not trolling. It's obviously waaaaay too early to say if kids will have any long term effects, but sure. Act like you know. The kids will be alright but that's my guess. You have yours. We'll see who's right 20 years from now. Btw, it's too late to stop this thing in case you haven't noticed. We're all gonna get it. They're all gonna get it. Meh. What can ya do besides suck it up and deal. Not locking up my kids for the next two decades while we wait for a "cure" that will likely never come. See: another coronavirus, the common cold.
    It's not too late. New York, New Jersey, Italy, Spain, Wuhan, Arizona - many examples of drastically reducing or eliminating Covid.

Chinese kids are going to school. And not having a lockdown. And no one is getting infected. And no worry about longterm effects or killing grandma.

It took 76 days to eliminate Covid in Wuhan. We know much more now. Let's start winning instead of whining. Kids could start school in November. We could have a regular ski season.

Oh, I'm biased. Never hidden that. I'm just part of the tiny, miniscule percentage of dissenting opinions here from the TGR groupthink, which seems strictly verboten. Would be so much easier to just go with the flow, but alas. I prefer to think critically as well as expose myself to views that oppose mine. Heck, it's why I even hang out with all you turds. I hate echo chambers of my own thinking. Why I've never exactly hung in conservative circles, online or otherwise.

Interesting how conservatively slanted ideology has become basically the counter-culture of the modern era.

However this is about Kids and COVID, so I digress. Apologies. Carry on.

So brave standing up to the "I don't want kids or teachers to die" groupthink.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    It's not too late. New York, New Jersey, Italy, Spain, Wuhan, Arizona - many examples of drastically reducing or eliminating Covid.

Chinese kids are going to school. And not having a lockdown. And no one is getting infected. And no worry about longterm effects or killing grandma.

It took 76 days to eliminate Covid in Wuhan. We know much more now. Let's start winning instead of whining. Kids could start school in November. We could have a regular ski season.
    Oh, New York and New Jersey. Because THEY'RE shining examples at numbers 1 and 2 states respectively in deaths per 100,000. Per today's CDC report. Not the best examples to make your case, LSL.
    https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

So brave standing up to the "I don't want kids or teachers to die" groupthink.
    Again. Look at the data. Kids have such an infinitesimally small chance of dying from COVID-19 that it's barely worth mentioning. No need to buy into all the hype. Teachers are a different story, but I say let THEM make that choice for themselves. If they feel uncomfortable getting back to the classroom then allow them to be the distance learning teachers. If they're young, healthy, and not really all that concerned, then let them get back to the classroom.

If you're really worried about your kids, then fine. That's totally your prerogative, but did you know there's this new fangled thing called homeschooling? Go for it! Never been more resources to support that option than now. The choice is yours.