Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    bunch of positive in our small town schools. At least one in each school. Last week it was only 2 schools and those would be closed for a few days for "deep cleaning", and return back this week. Got a text last night from school. Nope...not until at least Nov 16th now. Claim is that there is a staffing shortage?? Hmmm they were all there last week just fine?? Are you not telling us about teacher who are sick? Are the teachers refusing to come to work? Is it because it was a weekend and counts always go down on weekends and the DOH is going to make some sort of announcement today? Its all up in the air...

we have had some potential contact with a family or 2 that have had a positive. Been at least a week since contact and no odd symptoms around my house yet. We were never really in super close proximity to the infected, but were in the same circle. gotta go with the flow i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    bunch of positive in our small town schools. At least one in each school. Last week it was only 2 schools and those would be closed for a few days for "deep cleaning", and return back this week. Got a text last night from school. Nope...not until at least Nov 16th now. Claim is that there is a staffing shortage?? Hmmm they were all there last week just fine?? Are you not telling us about teacher who are sick? Are the teachers refusing to come to work? Is it because it was a weekend and counts always go down on weekends and the DOH is going to make some sort of announcement today? Its all up in the air...

we have had some potential contact with a family or 2 that have had a positive. Been at least a week since contact and no odd symptoms around my house yet. We were never really in super close proximity to the infected, but were in the same circle. gotta go with the flow i guess.
    Just as likely some of their subs have opted out of being available. Teacher staffing is dire right now in a lot of places.

A lot of the subs no longer had jobs in the spring and decided to looks for work elsewhere, so that's a contributor.

And a lot of teachers have kids that need to be quarantined so they can't go in to work.

Teacher shortages are an issue everywhere.

Also - who would willingly go into schools that have outbreaks for 10-20 bucks an hour?

I think may people don't understand the breadth of quarantine orders. For example, in my small county, our 2 week rolling case count is 48 and the number of people on Q&I orders is 424. Think about that for an institution like school, it is a tough situation. https://datastudio.google.com/report...?s=lisByzmoj0k If public health deams you to meet the requirements for quaranteen, your employer is gonna send you home. The science dictates the policy but the sociology dictates the personal actions. Lotta people bitching but nobody thinks they are the problem.

Then on the other side of things, the government is ruining small businesses everywhere by restricting the number of customers so they can't survive. What a fucking shit show.
    Would another way of saying it be that people's selfish actions are forcing the government to place restrictions on small businesses? We can't even agree on what the goal is. For me, I think the medium term answer is to keep it on simmer so kids can go do school (I don't have any) and we can have some semblance of an economy. I wish people would spent their "covid credits" more wisely but what can you do? It's not like the rest of the world is exactly crushing it. Its a nasty bitch.

Stop the superspreader events. Get the symptomatic people to stay home...lets start with that.

Its like health...do the easy stuff first. Quit eating fastfood, drinking pop and crushing reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Would another way of saying it be that people's selfish actions are forcing the government to place restrictions on small businesses? We can't even agree on what the goal is. For me, I think the medium term answer is to keep it on simmer so kids can go do school (I don't have any) and we can have some semblance of an economy. I wish people would spent their "covid credits" more wisely but what can you do? It's not like the rest of the world is exactly crushing it. Its a nasty bitch.
    why only small businesses though? Sure, mom and pop’s pizza can fit 40 people in it on a good night so we need to close that entirely, but let’s keep Walmart open at 25% capacity so that they can only have 80 people inside it... oh, you want to have a huge peaceful protest or a funeral for someone shot by police? Sure, have all those thousands of people gather in one spot. Oh, your grandma died? Sorry bud, we can’t let your 10 immediate family members have a funeral for her...

this isn’t on the “stupid people” - that only divides the country more. Big business is, and always has, been the driving factor. The government has always been for big business (look at all the bailouts for major corporations but jack shit for the average American).

Stop the superspreader events. Get the symptomatic people to stay home...lets start with that.

Its like health...do the easy stuff first. Quit eating fastfood, drinking pop and crushing reds.
    Yes.

Pinning it using TGR Forums mobile app
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Yeah?

Well what about my FREEDUMB?

Quote Originally Posted by mtuhockey33 View Post
    why only small businesses though? Sure, mom and pop’s pizza can fit 40 people in it on a good night so we need to close that entirely, but let’s keep Walmart open at 25% capacity so that they can only have 80 people inside it... oh, you want to have a huge peaceful protest or a funeral for someone shot by police? Sure, have all those thousands of people gather in one spot. Oh, your grandma died? Sorry bud, we can’t let your 10 immediate family members have a funeral for her...

this isn’t on the “stupid people” - that only divides the country more. Big business is, and always has, been the driving factor. The government has always been for big business (look at all the bailouts for major corporations but jack shit for the average American).
    Weird that you left out anti-mask rallies here.

It's true that governments are being forced into placing restrictions by foolish people spreading the virus, but I also think after all we've learned about this virus and how it spreads, governments could be more targeted about the restrictions. There was a pretty good op-ed in the New York Post today (of all places) about the new lockdowns in the U.K. and France and some of the nonsensical restrictions being placed on certain businesses that really don't represent a significant risk of spread. Also, they gave everybody a week "warning" that the restrictions were coming, so everybody went out and partied at the pubs to get in one last hooray, and spread a ton of virus. Just stupid shit like that, and you'd think they'd know better by now. Like you say, keep whatever parts of the economy going that you can, and target the problem areas (bars, obviously, are a big one). And try to keep the schools open to some degree. Our school system has been great about distancing and masking, and although there have been cases among students and staff, so far no outbreaks where the virus was spread at school. Fingers crossed.

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/east-...sgiving-break/

I think another thing that is getting lost in the mix is the difference between the public health response and the personal health response. What matters most in a public health response is everybody's actions on balance. If you live in a multi family housing situation and work in a grocery store, your base line level of risk is higher than someone that lives and works alone. That's OK, we both have to adjust our activity with the current COVID level. Currently, people want to say either say "fuck it" because of some of their quasi-mandated situations (teachers out partying...I'm looking at you). Or point the fingers at others and feel entitled to ratchet up their level of risk because of there social distant daily routine.

The other is the "do as I say not as I do" crowd. This is a fake out. There is a socio-economic demographic that is the most guilty. The same people that will give the stick eye if you don't stay 6 feel away from them at Whole Foods may be getting all huggy kissy behind closed door at the wine and cheese party.

So yeah, do what you can. Don't baseline your actions of others around you. Think of skiing as a maybe for the winter. Let's try to keep the kids in school. Want to talk about the economy? Having parents be able to go to work instead of homeschooling and child care is a start.

Our large school district just requested a 14 day virtual for all students starting Thursday. We'll see how Governor Covid Kim's Trumpster possie answers. She refused early this week to do a anyrhing at all to slow down this disaster. Several of our schools have been completely virtual all year because they were hammered by the Derecho.

Covid has exploded here exponentially. Hospitals are running full and the U of Iowa still have some beds but is running out of staff. Outlying hospitals are sendibg people away. Des Moines mostly full. Most people still not masking, weddings are in full swing.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Covid Kim on the way forward.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tbreak-us.html
    Last edited by uglymoney; 11-10-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Our daycares here still haven’t mandated masks for the kids. They haven’t done so because they think it’s too difficult for 3-5 year olds to do. Meanwhile we have friends back east that send kids to daycares that have mandated masks inside AND outside since early summer. They say the kids are great and that the masks are almost always being worn. We’ve recently been pushing for it at our daycare and our daughter now wears a mask all day even though most other kids don’t. Just because it sounds difficult doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Push your daycares on masks if they aren’t required already.
    My kid is 9 so no daycare but he and his circle of friends have been wearing masks since March when they get together. Rarely inside. Mostly outside. Maybe over cautious but they now have a culture of wearing a mask and trying to stay six feet apart.

I’d be happy to send them to school if that was the culture of all this kids. Unfortunately there are plenty who continue to have indoor unmasked play dates and those kids can’t wear a mask for two minutes without adjusting or removing it. Twitchy ass fuckers.

One of my kids bests friends he rarely sees anymore cause the kids mom refuses to train her kid to keep his mask on. She claims that just fall off as I watch him use his chin to slowly pull it down, ignore it and then sneeze. Fuck that shit.

It is for sure work and an adjustment. OTOH, I really like the group of mask wearing social distance playing friends and families.

My first grader had to get tested yesterday as one of her "close contact" classmates was diagnosed. We should find out today how effective her handwashing/ maskwearing/ plexiglass dividers have been.

Whole class is now fully remote while teacher (and students) quarantine. Also get to keep my younger one home from pre-school while this gets figured out. YAY COVID!

Schools shutting down right and left around here. Mostly staffing issues with so many quarantines. So far Helena schools have been spared, but if we make it to Thanksgiving break it seems likely they'll go remote till after Christmas. Not sure about HS basketball this winter. My kids think it will be canceled or pushed to spring.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Our large school district just requested a 14 day virtual for all students starting Thursday. We'll see how Governor Covid Kim's Trumpster possie answers. She refused early this week to do a anyrhing at all to slow down this disaster. Several of our schools have been completely virtual all year because they were hammered by the Derecho.

Covid has exploded here exponentially. Hospitals are running full and the U of Iowa still have some beds but is running out of staff. Outlying hospitals are sendibg people away. Des Moines mostly full. Most people still not masking, weddings are in full swing.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Covid Kim on the way forward.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...tbreak-us.html
    This fucking "response" is infuriating. No federal response, leave it to the states. A bunch of states run by fucking morans: "Taking the tack from the federal government. We're gonna do jack squat. Leaving it up to the local health officials and school boards."

Local school boards: "We're just regular schmoes, trying our best to help our schools. We're not fucking qualified for this shit."

In the school boards' defense - they're right. And it's really shitty to not provide them direction.

I am so frustrated. I drive by a bunch of restaurants every day at 5 and they all have tons of people without masks. That seems so crazy to me. I haven't been under a roof with unmasked non-family members since like June, except for a single family that we share a teacher with and that teacher. In other parts of the state, I understand that there is almost zero mask compliance at some businesses. What the fuck are we doing? If the schools close (as is, kids are only going 2x a week for short days) but the bars stay open and I am going to lose my fucking shit.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I am so frustrated. I drive by a bunch of restaurants every day at 5 and they all have tons of people without masks. That seems so crazy to me. I haven't been under a roof with unmasked non-family members since like June, except for a single family that we share a teacher with and that teacher. In other parts of the state, I understand that there is almost zero mask compliance at some businesses. What the fuck are we doing? If the schools close (as is, kids are only going 2x a week for short days) but the bars stay open and I am going to lose my fucking shit.
    The bars generate tax revenue and Mitch McConnell won't pass legislation to keep state and local governments afloat.

So local governments have to keep the bars open and let society's worst assholes get everyone sick or the mass layoffs of teachers/firefighters/cops start in earnest.

A lot of deaths and the wretched conditions in schools can readily be chalked up to the Senate.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Agreed 100%. The reason I know god doesn't exist is that Bitch McConnell hasn't died in agony while dropping a deuce.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by mask compliance around here.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Schools shutting down right and left around here. Mostly staffing issues with so many quarantines. So far Helena schools have been spared, but if we make it to Thanksgiving break it seems likely they'll go remote till after Christmas. Not sure about HS basketball this winter. My kids think it will be canceled or pushed to spring.
    Basketball is what thing#3 lives for. Last year's season finished just under the wire for him. They didn't have AAU, camps, or Jr NBA and he's going to be super bummed without a HS season and no AAU again. He gets the reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised by mask compliance around here.
    Duh Boulder. Iowa City vs Cedar Rapids is like entering a totally different country.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This fucking "response" is infuriating. No federal response, leave it to the states. A bunch of states run by fucking morans: "Taking the tack from the federal government. We're gonna do jack squat. Leaving it up to the local health officials and school boards."

Local school boards: "We're just regular schmoes, trying our best to help our schools. We're not fucking qualified for this shit."

In the school boards' defense - they're right. And it's really shitty to not provide them direction.

She is both a Trumpster and really not a very sharp person to be kind. Bad combo.

Our local school board has done a good job. This is a blue city. Many districts have no mask mandates. It is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk