Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Oh, New York and New Jersey. Because THEY'RE shining examples at numbers 1 and 2 states respectively in deaths per 100,000. Per today's CDC report. Not the best examples to make your case, LSL.
    https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Look a little harder. How many dying per 100,000 in the last two weeks? Versus the peak?
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Again. Look at the data. Kids have such an infinitesimally small chance of dying from COVID-19 that it's barely worth mentioning. No need to buy into all the hype. Teachers are a different story, but I say let THEM make that choice for themselves. If they feel uncomfortable getting back to the classroom then allow them to be the distance learning teachers. If they're young, healthy, and not really all that concerned, then let them get back to the classroom.

If you're really worried about your kids, then fine. That's totally your prerogative, but did you know there's this new fangled thing called homeschooling? Go for it! Never been more resources to support that option than now. The choice is yours.

Why is the forced choice to homeschool rather than keep the larger group safe? We don't know enough about long term infection trends, teachers are at risk, families are at risk and you'll end up remote anyway if you're forcing infected and exposed to quarantine.
    Look at the schools that have opened - a significant number have already closed or quarantined significant populations since you can't control this shit. Pretending that a school will meaningfully stay open is wishful thinking, so burning goodwill and killing some of your staff and students to end up in the same place is asinine.
    Teachers currently cannot make choices for themselves unless they want to get fired.
    Also, the data is crap since you have so much suppression and so little testing of kids.

Tell us which if your Kids that you want to see suffer or die so you can ski this year. Fist name only works. So you can see the face.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Tell us which if your Kids that you want to see suffer or die so you can ski this year. Fist name only works. So you can see the face.
    Whatever, geezer. They're statistically not at much risk at all. You, however....

Anyway, did all you scaredy cats realize that school age children are statistically more likely to get struck by lightning than die of COVID-19? So, are we going to keep kids locked down indefinitely because of thunderstorms too?
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coron...9GP?li=BBoPWjQ

I feel like everyone who has posted in the past two pages are the same people if you told them the Sky was blue on a sunny day they’d argue for hours about it. Can’t you fucking people appreciate there’s a differing POV out there and instead of lighting someone up about it you respect it and move on...Christ it wears me out. Sorry, get back to arguing with one another about something none of you control.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Montuky, give me the name. Or you're just hot air. Worthless opinions.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Whatever, geezer. They're statistically not at much risk at all. You, however....

Anyway, did all you scaredy cats realize that school age children are statistically more likely to get struck by lightning than die of COVID-19? So, are we going to keep kids locked down indefinitely because of thunderstorms too?
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coron...9GP?li=BBoPWjQ

I expect Cambridge will retract that (or perhaps British kids attract more lightning than Americans). The authors appear to be using the number of covid-killed British kids compared to the total number of British kids. They should be comparing to the number of British kids infected. Regardless, the point stands that kids don't die often from Covid. CDC shows 56 dead to last week (5-18 year olds). I don't know how many cases in this age group, but can guess it's less than one million. (Given 5 million cases among all ages). So roughly 1 in 20,000 kids infected die from Covid.

I would guess many would say killing 1 in 20,000 school kids is too many. 340M population * 18% aged 5-18 (guess) * 60% Covid attack rate * 1/20,000 = roughly 2,000 dead school kids. Pragmatically, we won't miss them. Though everyone loses their minds when 1% of that number get shot. Also, Covid prefers the weaker ones, though it's still a bad way to die. But there's also the long lasting injuries that aren't well quantified, including to the strong ones.

In any case, the prime issue here is a Virology 101 concept - to stop an epidemic, close the schools. Kids are extraordinarily efficient disease spreaders.

Emotionally, it's about the kids. Practically, it's about the adults those kids will infect.
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 08-13-2020 at 09:06 PM. Reason: school is virtual here
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Anyway, did all you scaredy cats realize that school age children are statistically more likely to get struck by lightning than die of COVID-19? So, are we going to keep kids locked down indefinitely because of thunderstorms too? ]
    I might point out that if there is an imminent threat of being struck by lightning, for example if there is an active lightning storm at that moment, I tell my kids they have to stay inside and not hang out under flag poles or trees or other places one could expect to get hit by lightning. It seems like the least I can do for them, given my infinite wisdom and life experience. One might draw a parallel here, or one might not, depending on whether one is a fucking idiot.

As I've watched the college kids return I'm beginning to think that any in person schooling is irresponsible. College kids especially have no ability to social distance. They travel in packs.

Covid and your kids

Theoretically....As long as the pack is tested/negative....and they only stay with that pack....that “could” work. That’s what the “bubble” is. Most colleges are trying to create that on their campuses.....bubbles/pods....”stay with your own kind/pod”...lol..oh boy.

The problem is the lone wolf who goes outside the pack....screws it up for everyone else. (ie. those 2 Cleveland Indian pitchers that are now ostracized by their team/MLB).....lol

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    In any case, the prime issue here is a Virology 101 concept - to stop an epidemic, close the schools. Kids are extraordinarily efficient disease spreaders.
    Not trying to argue with MontuckyAustin, but it's not clear to me if he understands this basic point.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    I feel like everyone who has posted in the past two pages are the same people if you told them the Sky was blue on a sunny day they’d argue for hours about it. Can’t you fucking people appreciate there’s a differing POV out there and instead of lighting someone up about it you respect it and move on...Christ it wears me out. Sorry, get back to arguing with one another about something none of you control.

Fuck that. This whole argument over Covid and schools is now a surrogate for the argument between Trump Trash and normal people. As I have absolutely no respect for Trump Trash (and in fact don't even see them as fully human - which is something I'm not particularly proud of) I will continue to "light them up" until this national nightmare is over - and beyond.

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender," Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Montuky, give me the name. Or you're just hot air. Worthless opinions.
    I believe the names are Karen and Chad. Losing service shortly but hope to see you on Slate

This good essay (written, oddly, by a Texan) addresses most of the issues squabbled about here, and raises great critiques of the educational system and shows how this is a great time to reimagine it, including a scheme for manufacturing more roofers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/o...e=articleShare

The world needs ditch diggers too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9388.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	337178

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The world needs ditch diggers too.
    I heard this literally a million times as a kid. One of dads favorite sayings.

For the record I am not a ditch digger.

I don't know about ditch diggers, but heavy equipment operators make good money and seem in high demand.

Our district is now leaning toward an A/B start, with kids in school two days and online three days. This is due to rising case numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post

lol

going on and on that this pandemic could be handled responsibly and that the economy will get better, we will be safer once everyone practices social distancing, stays home as much as possible, and wears a mask is not pedantic. It's advocating for us all getting back to work and our kids to school. Advocating for treating this as a health crisis is not pedantic. Pointing out that things have gone much better in other countries is not pendatic.

It's being a responsible adult trying to make this situation better. Ignorance is a blight

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I don't know about ditch diggers, but heavy equipment operators make good money and seem in high demand.

Our district is now leaning toward an A/B start, with kids in school two days and online three days. This is due to rising case numbers.
    This is one of the best approaches I have been seeing with our client school districts (at least the ones competent enough to plan shit out ahead of time). When you throw on the option of having your kid go fully virtual, it more than halves the total number of students at-school any one day. It's still a serious risk, and I doubt any of these plans will last more than a month before going back to all-virtual, but it's at least something worth trying out. Better than some of these other districts that have done fuck-all.

I will say though that a majority of districts keep on pushing out their school start-up dates, and some are also electing to have the first week of classes as virtual-only.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    This is one of the best approaches I have been seeing with our client school districts (at least the ones competent enough to plan shit out ahead of time). When you throw on the option of having your kid go fully virtual, it more than halves the total number of students at-school any one day. It's still a serious risk, and I doubt any of these plans will last more than a month before going back to all-virtual, but it's at least something worth trying out. Better than some of these other districts that have done fuck-all.

I will say though that a majority of districts keep on pushing out their school start-up dates, and some are also electing to have the first week of classes as virtual-only.
    From what I gather, as of yesterday 600 out of 4,000 students in the HSD have elected to go fully virtual. The deadline is today to sign up for that, so I'm curious to see what the final tally is. Hard to say how it will end up. I agree they keep pushing out the decisions. But then again the kids had 6 am workouts all summer at the high school, and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never did. One of my daughters worked at the YMCA all summer with groups of camp kids--same deal, kept waiting for a case or something to shut it all down but it never did. Right now the news has a field day with any school that has to shut down, but how many is that out of all the ones that have restarted? In a lot of ways kids seem to be smarter and more careful about this pandemic than a lot of adults (and emails from the principal spell it out very clearly: all masks, no exceptions, no bullshit). My kids have no issues at all with masks and distancing. They just want to go to school. Like, REALLY want to go. I hope it somehow works out okay and they get to keep going, even if it's only a couple days a week, even if they need to endure a shutdown at some point. I know it's a risk but I think it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

Our district was going to do the A/B thing, with A at school M/W and B at school Tu/Th, then each take an alternating Fri. One case and the whole school shuts down for 2 weeks. There are 750 kids at my kids primary school and I think around 50 staff. So, 800ish people coming and going in a relatively small area. yeah, worth a try I guess, but seems futile. Hence why we chose the alternative they provided which was a home school program purchased by the district and administered by parents with support via teachers reassigned to the home-school program. We can't go back in Oregon until our numbers are lower, and they're already relatively low compared to other areas of the Country. That said, I hope the combination of some of us taking one for the team and staying home 100% with they hybrid learning program alleviates enough space in the schools here to make it possible for working parents to send their kids to school when needed to accommodate work. It's a really shitty situation out there for some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

The guy in the picture is. All day, every day. He never has to pick up a shovel or anything heavier than an aluminum pipe section. He probably makes as much as the heavy equipment operators and the younger engineers. When he's not hydrocutting dirt, he's driving the fancy truck and dumping it out somewhere. Notice he isn't wearing anything in his ears: he will lose his hearing at many ranges pretty quickly, but perhaps more importantly, he doesn't seem interested in listening to music or podcasts or audio books, just the drone of the hydrocutting machine. So perhaps he is content listingin to endless droning while vacuuming dirt, and maybe that's a good thing . . or would it be a better thing to know enough to have an existential crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Like, REALLY want to go. I hope it somehow works out okay and they get to keep going, even if it's only a couple days a week, even if they need to endure a shutdown at some point. I know it's a risk but I think it's worth it.
    My kids really want to go too...but I explained to them that they would be in a classroom 6 feet (at least) from their nearest classmate, they would not leave that classroom all day (there are bathrooms for each classroom), they would eat lunch there, they would have no recess (not applicable to you obviously). Is it anything like that for you crew? If so, I see kids ending up hating school more than staying home.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    The guy in the picture is. All day, every day. He never has to pick up a shovel or anything heavier than an aluminum pipe section. He probably makes as much as the heavy equipment operators and the younger engineers. When he's not hydrocutting dirt, he's driving the fancy truck and dumping it out somewhere. Notice he isn't wearing anything in his ears: he will lose his hearing at many ranges pretty quickly, but perhaps more importantly, he doesn't seem interested in listening to music or podcasts or audio books, just the drone of the hydrocutting machine. So perhaps he is content listingin to endless droning while vacuuming dirt, and maybe that's a good thing . . or would it be a better thing to know enough to have an existential crisis?
    I thought guys who operate that sort of equipment aren't allowed to listen to pods/music while they do that? Need to be able to hear what's going on...but through PPE...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

I see hydraulic turtles.