Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Covid and your kids

Day 2 went better with the server......but most of kids/families who were “live” online at home changed their mind...they will be back “in school” starting tomorrow....lol.

*I was in a class that was live streaming to a mom/kid at home and their IPad/Schoology wasn’t cooperating....and she announces over the live system to a classroom of 15 3rd graders....”We’re done, this is bullshit, Bella will be back in school tomorrow”......

Good times.

We’re on our third week of virtual, it’s fairly smooth for us. So far the teacher has stuff pretty well organized. My wife works from home so she sits with him during schooling periods. The teacher does have a few kids that act out, it’s third graders so it’s to be expected. Being virtual it’s easy for kids with no supervision to stress the system with little consequences for kids with bad parents.

Haven’t had many server issues, occasional no sound from the teacher but usually quickly fixed. It does seem to have a few problems switching between platforms, they use zoom for most classroom interactions and use canvas for homework and tests, spellingcity is used for games and interactions. Seems every time they switch platforms a few kids have problems getting in and stalls up the class.

So far with our circumstances I’m happy with the quality of education. This isn’t going to last forever and I don’t think it’ll effect my kid much. I can see how working parents would have trouble with on-line schooling even with day care.

Look on the bright side--once the tech glitches get worked out, just think how well prepared we'll be for the next pandemic.

5 days a week in person

Loving it
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    5 days a week in person

Loving it
    Me too. Praying this continues.

Vote Blue.

We're going to have two of our grandkids do their remote from our house next week. Dad works from home, mom has a commute. The other two are being home schooled. At the beach.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Me too. Praying this continues.
    Sounds like all the north metro Denver/Boulder districts will be going back in person full-time starting in 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Vote Blue.

We're going to have two of our grandkids do their remote from our house next week. Dad works from home, mom has a commute. The other two are being home schooled. At the beach.
    Huh "vote blue"?

What plan for opening schools do the dems have? I guess they're just waiting til Nov to tell us? They wont if they lose?

Cmon now...they ain't got a plan either.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Huh "vote blue"?

What plan for opening schools do the dems have? I guess they're just waiting til Nov to tell us? They wont if they lose?

Cmon now...they ain't got a plan either.
    Yeah, it could be "vote out Trump" because literally any other administration would've done more on the COVID-19 front from the beginning and where we're at now would be much different (I like to think better). So, vote red or blue, but don't vote for Trump at the top of the ticket.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Sounds like all the north metro Denver/Boulder districts will be going back in person full-time starting in 2-3 weeks.
    uh, not for most of BVSD. They are going back to "phase 2" for K-2 on 9/29, for up to 4 days/wk. 3-12 remain fully virtual for now, with the exception of some special needs kids. Some of the mountain communities are going back full time because they lack good internet.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We're fully remote but thankfully the local Y is running a school hours pod program that is affordable. Soccer starts this weekend, so at least some kind of normalcy coming in for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    uh, not for most of BVSD. They are going back to "phase 2" for K-2 on 9/29, for up to 4 days/wk. 3-12 remain fully virtual for now, with the exception of some special needs kids. Some of the mountain communities are going back full time because they lack good internet.
    my sister's in evergreen and the school her kids go to told them you have to commit to 100% in person now or 100% at home. No other options. She didn't feel comfortable sending them in so they're 100% at home.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrefaith View Post
    We're fully remote but thankfully the local Y is running a school hours pod program that is affordable. Soccer starts this weekend, so at least some kind of normalcy coming in for them.
    So.

Kids can congregate at the Y
    And play soccer

But school is scaaarrryyy?
    . . .

We've let both our kids play fall club soccer as a way of keeping our sanity. Our coaches and club have been excellent at enforcing distancing...unlike a lot of the other teams and some parents.

I digress. My stepson who was supposed to be playing college soccer this fall but is back on the club instead had a positive on his team last week so his team is in quarantine and games were canceled this weekend. Then we got 7 to 10 inches of rain this week due to climate change asshattery so the tourney he was supposed to be at was canceled anyway my daughter's games were canceled as well. Can't catch a break.

Iowa Soccer is working closely with experts at the U of I hospitals and clinics. It reports no player to player transmission as of yet but they sent out a stern warning letter to everybody about teams and parents that have been lax with distancing and masks.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    my sister's in evergreen and the school her kids go to told them you have to commit to 100% in person now or 100% at home. No other options. She didn't feel comfortable sending them in so they're 100% at home.
    That's an issue now in Great Falls--they've had 4 positives among students so some parents are trying to pull their kids out of school and put them in the digital learning, and the school district is saying uh uh, you had to commit at the end of July and we told you no changing your decision once you commit. So...some pissed off parents, and I guess I sympathize, but seriously, what did they expect when they chose in-person learning, that there weren't going to be ANY positive cases? But the issue with the school district is that they have separate teachers doing the online vs. the in-person, and because of accreditation standards they can't just pile more kids on the online teachers, there's a limit to the kid/teacher ratio.

In Helena where I live it seems like they kind of set things up to accommodate for some switching back and forth, even though it's discouraged. The teachers are doing both in-person and online, so the ratio numbers don't really change regardless. And we're on a hybrid model, two days a week in-person and three online, unlike Great Falls, which went all in with five days a week in-person. Our superintendent has been great through all this. Unfortunately he just announced he's resigning at the end of the school year. Sounds like the whole thing has just been too much stress and too all-consuming. Sucks.

Bozeman School District needs to get their shit together. My kid doesn't have a Chromebook (hopefully next week) and the take home assignments she's been given aren't exactly school work. I emailed her teacher about what Chromebook we should buy if we just go ahead and buy her one and she hasn't responded in three school days.

If this is the bull shit they're going to roll out I'd just as soon send my kid back five days a week. My ex and I are a big believer in public schools and I have had no reason to complain up until now but there doesn't seem to have been a lot of planning going on over the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Bozeman School District needs to get their shit together. My kid doesn't have a Chromebook (hopefully next week) and the take home assignments she's been given aren't exactly school work. I emailed her teacher about what Chromebook we should buy if we just go ahead and buy her one and she hasn't responded in three school days.

If this is the bull shit they're going to roll out I'd just as soon send my kid back five days a week. My ex and I are a big believer in public schools and I have had no reason to complain up until now but there doesn't seem to have been a lot of planning going on over the summer.
    NONE.....the lessons ive seen here at my house are just junk compared to what they would get in school. Then you add all the "distractions" the at home environment provides and its just a pain for smaller kids (my 8 yr old). 12 year old just goes to her room and does her thing, so I havent heard how much "teaching" is actually going on there.

8 yr old goes back 1 day next week (primer) and then after that 2 days a week in and 2 home. I think its different teachers for the in school and virtual learners adding another level of complexity to the mix IMHO. Different teaching styles and all.

Sucks all around.

You think the teacher has a clue to what Chromebook?

You clowns realize the teachers are just pawns in this whole situation.

Blame your dumbass town first, meaning you and your neighbors for probably voting against the budget...again. Then next go to your school board with their personal agendas. Then try the superintendent who directs the principal's.

Mine have been back in school for weeks now. No issues.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    You think the teacher has a clue to what Chromebook?

You clowns realize the teachers are just pawns in this whole situation.

Blame your dumbass town first, meaning you and your neighbors for probably voting against the budget...again. Then next go to your school board with their personal agendas. Then try the superintendent who directs the principal's.
    I dont blame the teacher at ALL personally. They are dealing with what their admins have given them, which IMHO, is a pile of steaming shit around here. All summer and they thought POOF it'll all be gone. CONTINGENCY PLANS MAN.... I know budgets are tight and whatnot, but this was last minute prep. I hope the return to in person goes smoother.

Man I got to listen to an earful from friends about this last weekend. I dont have kids so my opinion doesn't mean jack shit. I find it telling that the majority of parents wanted more in school days and that the board voted the way they did. School board members who didnt have kids voted for current situation and board members with kids wanted more in school. Honest question because I'm pretty ignorant about how things work but why in the hell are you a school board member if you have no kids?

Vibes to y'all who are trying to get through this messed up situation and I feel especially bad for special needs children(and their parents).

Also aren't chromebooks severely backordered right now due to this rapid demand?

School boards and Superintendents are not qualified to deal with this shit. They generally received little to no useful guidance from the State or national level. They were slow to make plans. And then they had to change their plans because the plans where no good. Then the principals and teachers had almost no time to prepare. This is where we are.

That sucks. When I read in the paper how short of Chromebooks the Bozeman district is I couldn't believe it. Definitely seems like poor planning. Maybe enrollment numbers increased with all the noobs moving to town? I read that enrollment in Big Sky school district is up 20%.

So far so good in Helena. They worked round the clock this summer on planning and it seems to be going smoothly.

I heard the Cherry Creek SD in Denver, which is in-person, has a large outbreak with hundreds now quarantining, because 12th graders were attending parties each of the last two weekends, and some tested positive.
    This shit doesn’t help the schools that are in a tough place.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    School boards and Superintendents are not qualified to deal with this shit. They generally received little to no useful guidance from the State or national level. They were slow to make plans. And then they had to change their plans because the plans where no good. Then the principals and teachers had almost no time to prepare. This is where we are.
    This.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy