Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    i have 2 ten year olds. in the same class. their class is typically hybrid learning. now it's all distance hybrid learning. they have minimal zoom class meetings. their teacher rocks.

one 10 year old melts down frequently and rarely attends the zoom classes due, mostly, to anxiety. he's meeting with the school psychologist. it's going well enough. everything that he does in school, he does very well. his sister continues to love school and proactively engage. he loves his assignments, too, when he calms down enough to do it. my 15 year old is trying to do as little as possible and still ace his classes. i thought he was better at math, but he clearly missed the mark last semester by not completing enough assignments in any of his classes to do extremely well. his saving grace was this english class because he's a naturally gifted writer (/jealous). his sophomore class size is 42 kids. lately, between 5 and 15 of them have a discord call every night, usually until 1-2am.

The WaPo op-ed last week about smart but flunking HS kids was good, IMO... relationships first. most of this other shit can be made up later.

My wife and I definitely have some privilege going on. We have college degrees, currently jobs, and can mostly work from home, though we live in an overbearing world of debt. In some areas, the lack of services currently available for children is a major environmental justice problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My 10 year old just cut virtual school the last 2 days because she was on youtube. Fuck.

Pretty much all my kids' close friends have had covid by now, and a lot of their families. We have somehow managed to escape so far. Vibes to those whose kids are having a tough time with online school..

My 10 year old just cut virtual school the last 2 days because she was on youtube. Fuck.
    That’s both funny and terrible. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Pretty much all my kids' close friends have had covid by now, and a lot of their families. We have somehow managed to escape so far. Vibes to those whose kids are having a tough time with online school..
    So you guys are sort of at a micro covid climate herd immunity?

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    So you guys are sort of at a micro covid climate herd immunity?
    Maybe. Oddly the kids' friends have all got it through fairly benign interactions as opposed to foolish behavior. Although there have been a couple of those too. But in any case it seems like the vaccine is so far in the future for us that it's quite possible we'll get the virus first.

NYT article today examining the recent drop in cases hypothesizes that the US may be approaching the beginning of herd immunity, with 100 million cases (estimated) plus those already vaccinated.

Maybe. Oddly the kids' friends have all got it through fairly benign interactions as opposed to foolish behavior. Although there have been a couple of those too. But in any case it seems like the vaccine is so far in the future for us that it's quite possible we'll get the virus first.

NYT article today examining the recent drop in cases hypothesizes that the US may be approaching the beginning of herd immunity, with 100 million cases (estimated) plus those already vaccinated.
    LA County public health officer has stated similar about the decrease in rate due to the number of those infected.

We had a “dip” in cases in my area. The new public health officer in my county just announced that it was because of the lack of available tests over a few weeks and the lack of ability to get an appt for a test.

I also read reports today that Novovax found participants in their South African trial were reinfected with the new variant after already having the original version so where this is all going is anyone's best guess.

Watch what they're doing on the internet.

https://www.india.com/viral/shocking...ather-4363050/

YouTube is a crazy drug. My kid has been in virtual learning all year.

We’ve worked out a system where he can earn marbles for rec screen time. Full focused getting all his work done knocking it our of the park is a 5 marble day. Needs to complete all work to earn any marbles. Every time he gets e-distracted he loses a marble AND he needs to pay for that screen time with marbles at a 2X cost. He helped come up with the program.

He is learning to manage himself and his time. Take screen breaks as needed. Read. Get outside and then return to work.

Because he’d much rather use his marbles for Minecraft with friends or for something more worthwhile than just being distracted.

He gets his work done and does it well. But feel like he is missing out on the warm fuzzy type of elementary teacher stuff that works really well for him.

OTOH, we are going skiing in a few weeks and he plans to go to his first zoom class at 8:30, go ski at 10 and finish his work in the evening. Hope that works. Cause it would be great. And I get to ski solo for 1.5 hours while mom works and kid schools.

First day of in person school (ever) for my Kindergartener. It’s exciting to see the growth. He was anxious and excited- even early out the door. Here we are headed down the trail that opens to the school’s field. We plan to bike from now on after acing the opening day procedures.
    It was enjoyable to see a community again and little ones having jitters. This boy has been very tolerant and mostly handled the last year well but cracks are forming. Pouring on the love. I’m excited to see him later! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7170.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	363591

Congrats...in school is working....best of luck for the rest of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    First day of in person school (ever) for my Kindergartener. It’s exciting to see the growth. He was anxious and excited- even early out the door. Here we are headed down the trail that opens to the school’s field. We plan to bike from now on after acing the opening day procedures.
    It was enjoyable to see a community again and little ones having jitters. This boy has been very tolerant and mostly handled the last year well but cracks are forming. Pouring on the love. I’m excited to see him later! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7170.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	363591
    Are you full time in person or is it a hybrid model?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Are you full time in person or is it a hybrid model?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Hybrid of sorts. 4 days a week, shorter days, afternoon log in/lesson

What is the collective thought about how to handle unvaccinated kids with vaccinated parents getting together with other unvaccinated kids and vaccinated parents. Kids wear masks still when outside? Or just inside?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What is the collective thought about how to handle unvaccinated kids with vaccinated parents getting together with other unvaccinated kids and vaccinated parents. Kids wear masks still when outside? Or just inside?
    At this point. I think it's up to personal responsibility. Only you can make that risk assessment. There is enough information out there that people need to figure out can what will work for their unique situation.

With kid gloves.

My wife and I just started this conversation, one of my kid's ski racing buddies wants to have a sleepover. We're not interested until we're fully vaccinated, but when we're there, what then?

Definitely trying to figure out what makes sense moving forward. So curious to hear what others think and what the data says.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Fucking full floridiasweden here.

Let er rip. It’s over.

Unless you geezers are over sixty and riding the fatty wagon at Walmart.

Fuck. Stop stifling your children’s lives.
    It’s bad enough for them. Don’t make it psychologically worse.
    . . .

My wife and I just started this conversation, one of my kid's ski racing buddies wants to have a sleepover. We're not interested until we're fully vaccinated, but when we're there, what then?

Definitely trying to figure out what makes sense moving forward. So curious to hear what others think and what the data says.
    Me too. I keep reading about these variants, including the Brazilian one that also took down Whistler Blackcomb.

My kids are back in school four days a week, doing sports, and socializing, which includes the occasional sleepover, study dates, etc. We've got our first shot scheduled for April 20 (had to wait till Big Sky closes because I didn't want to feel like shit during any of my ski days), and we've made it this far unscathed, albeit with a little luck. We haven't kept them away from their friends during the pandemic, as long as it was one-on-one or very small groups. We knew it was a risk but we weighed it against the alternative and decided we were willing to take it. But to each his own. If you've been isolating your kids this long, they are probably used to it by now. But IMO, once the parents are jabbed, let the kids be kids and hang out with their friends.

Our kid has been in full time in-person school since August so I’m not worried about the social aspect. I do worry about what we don’t know in regards to their lifelong safety. I don’t want to let her just go loose this summer only to get her sick with a variant that effects her breathing the rest of her life.
    She and the kids at her school have been unbelievable in dealing with the strict restrictions that have allowed for a full year of learning in person. Barely any complaining from her about masks, etc, even when we do meetups at the park or outside people’s homes. But I’m not sure we’ll be ready this summer to allow for “normal” in house sleepovers and stuff like that. She’ll survive.

4 yo is pretty much maskless most of the time because preschooler. 7 yo is maskless outside but masked inside. She's pretty good about it and thinks that wearing a mask is no big deal. If you find a good mask they like, buy 5 of them. My kid likes Blackstap.

Really. Unless your kids are kissing Grammy and grandpa. Wtf?
    Name:  AB8A2438-B709-422E-B432-D51EACEF9527.jpeg
Views: 2288
Size:  87.9 KB

Stop scaring and scarring your kids.
    . . .

Here’s the recent info (updated last week) from Harvard public health about children and Covid.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/disea...break-and-kids

IMO, children as vectors is the biggest concern. I have yet to see a large study of surveillance testing involving children other than that one UC Berkeley study from India that was conducted the summer.

Here’s what the linked Harvard doc states:
    “Most children who become infected with the COVID-19 virus have no symptoms, or they have milder symptoms such as low-grade fever, fatigue, and cough. Early studies suggested that children do not contribute much to the spread of coronavirus. But more recent studies raise concerns that children could be capable of spreading the infection.

Though the recent studies varied in their methods, their findings were similar: infected children had as much, or more, coronavirus in their upper respiratory tracts as infected adults.

The amount of virus found in children — their viral load — was not correlated with the severity of their symptoms. In other words, more virus did not mean more severe symptoms.

Finding high amounts of viral genetic material — these studies measured viral RNA, not live virus — in kids does not prove that children are infectious. However, the presence of high viral loads in infected children does increase the concern that children, even those without symptoms, could readily spread the infection to others.”