Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Everyone is looking at ways to open up, relax their approach, etc, but if the cases spike significantly and shit gets much worse (as I expect) it will be that much harder to go back to full lock down. Which is why we're staying the course.
    Our family is pretty fuckin' locked down. Our kids hang out with the next door neighbors but they are the same age, we have essentially a shared driveway, and it would be impossible to keep them apart. The neighbors aren't seeing anybody socially but the mom is a nurse (who does not see COVID patients), so there is obviously some risk.

That said, there have been no new cases in our county for awhile, and we never had many to begin with. I was under the impression that the gist of the shutdown was to flatten the curve, so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. Ours never got close...in fact I think we had 2 hospitalizations in the whole county, at most. So now what? There are no new cases in town, things are starting to open up, and we stay in for how long? Until there is a vaccine? That was not what I understood the lockdown to be about when it started.

It seems obvious to me that we are going to have to drastically reduce restrictions and start to live "new normal" lives at some point because this is not sustainable for another 18 months or more...and that's assuming we get an effective vaccine, which is FAR from guaranteed.

Edit to clarify that I fully believe we will have second wave here and it will be worse than the first.

Second edit to add that MT has supposedly met all the requirements for testing and tracing and we have excess testing for anyone who wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    So schools aren’t open because of the risk of massive transmission. Why are daycares and camps going to open? How are they different?
    Camps for the most part have announced in our area they are not going to have summer programs. Some of the Day Care in the area just opened up as we moved into Yellow phase as our state is calling it with under 25 allowed to get together. Many Day Cares are going with smaller class or group rules, and probably some families are not sending their kids back this soon. At least a few Day Cares got an essentials exemption when in the Red- no travel except essential and only essential businesses allowed. The exemption was specifically because the kids were children o Essential Workers and they of course did not have alternative options. So it was either Essential Workers stay home to take care of the kids, or they had to have some of the Day Care open for health care employees, and other essential business employees to work and all.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    There is absolutely no question that you introduce more risk doing this.
    Yes agreed, but HOW MUCH more than I am already doing by interacting with family that does not live in same house? I suspect not much more since we are already "breaking the rules".

I don’t get the “under 25 allowed to get together”. Aren’t they able to spread this just as fast as anyone else? I don’t see how you can avoid having outbreaks from camps or daycares that extend to lots of families, without testing everyday.

So schools aren’t open because of the risk of massive transmission. Why are daycares and camps going to open? How are they different?
    Probably I would guess a lot won't end up being, but some camp programs may be able to go depending on how things are in the area. My kid does a bunch of different day camps throughout the summer, some of them are quite small programs or are run in groups that are quite small (<20 kids to a group) and 90-100% outside so I could potentially see those possibly going.
    A couple of the summer camps have sent out email surveys about interest in "online" camp and "what would you pay for online camp".

All my kids camps are cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yes agreed, but HOW MUCH more
    Can't help you there...

Most camps I know of are either canceled or cautiously planning on a program while enforcing some kind of distancing; my gut is most of them will end up canceling. An acquaintance of mine is a director of a day care center, and they just re-opened, and she's fucking stressed. She cares about the safety of the kids, their families, and her employees, but staying closed wasn't possible either.

Yes agreed, but HOW MUCH more than I am already doing by interacting with family that does not live in same house? I suspect not much more since we are already "breaking the rules".
    Nobody can really answer this for you. Not only is the science still vague, but part of the problem in increasing contact is just that the vectors are unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Our family is pretty fuckin' locked down. Our kids hang out with the next door neighbors but they are the same age, we have essentially a shared driveway, and it would be impossible to keep them apart. The neighbors aren't seeing anybody socially but the mom is a nurse (who does not see COVID patients), so there is obviously some risk.

That said, there have been no new cases in our county for awhile, and we never had many to begin with. I was under the impression that the gist of the shutdown was to flatten the curve, so hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. Ours never got close...in fact I think we had 2 hospitalizations in the whole county, at most. So now what? There are no new cases in town, things are starting to open up, and we stay in for how long? Until there is a vaccine? That was not what I understood the lockdown to be about when it started.

It seems obvious to me that we are going to have to drastically reduce restrictions and start to live "new normal" lives at some point because this is not sustainable for another 18 months or more...and that's assuming we get an effective vaccine, which is FAR from guaranteed.

Edit to clarify that I fully believe we will have second wave here and it will be worse than the first.

Second edit to add that MT has supposedly met all the requirements for testing and tracing and we have excess testing for anyone who wants it.
    Well, Colorado is in a different spot, and I am able to work from home for the moment and the wife is in school, so it's a bit (or a lot) easier on us than some. And yes, one goal was to flatten the curve and we've done that, and increased our treatment capacity. BUT, that doesn't mean a massive spike couldn't still overload our treatment capacity. And while a vaccine may be way off and a pipe dream to hope for, with every passing day our knowledge and treatment capability gets better, and so getting sick 3 months from now may be better than getting sick now.

I think in many places like yours, we have reached a point where massive societal/govt enforced lockdown may no longer be feasible or warranted. But that doesn't mean we don't have a new normal. How much you want the new normal to look like the old normal will influence how you conduct your life and what risk you are willing to take on for you, your family, and anyone you might love that you come into contact with. I'm obviously not making that decision for you, go to the brewpub with your buddies and skip wearing a mask everywhere, knock yourself out. But I am not going back to anything remotely like the old normal until I am forced to or things have improved dramatically.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don’t get the “under 25 allowed to get together”. Aren’t they able to spread this just as fast as anyone else? I don’t see how you can avoid having outbreaks from camps or daycares that extend to lots of families, without testing everyday.
    Was that meant groups numbered under 25 bodies and not 25 years of age?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Most camps I know of are either canceled or cautiously planning on a program while enforcing some kind of distancing; my gut is most of them will end up canceling. An acquaintance of mine is a director of a day care center, and they just re-opened, and she's fucking stressed. She cares about the safety of the kids, their families, and her employees, but staying closed wasn't possible either.

Nobody can really answer this for you. Not only is the science still vague, but part of the problem in increasing contact is just that the vectors are unknown.

Well, Colorado is in a different spot, and I am able to work from home for the moment and the wife is in school, so it's a bit (or a lot) easier on us than some. And yes, one goal was to flatten the curve and we've done that, and increased our treatment capacity. BUT, that doesn't mean a massive spike couldn't still overload our treatment capacity. And while a vaccine may be way off and a pipe dream to hope for, with every passing day our knowledge and treatment capability gets better, and so getting sick 3 months from now may be better than getting sick now.

I think in many places like yours, we have reached a point where massive societal/govt enforced lockdown may no longer be feasible or warranted. But that doesn't mean we don't have a new normal. How much you want the new normal to look like the old normal will influence how you conduct your life and what risk you are willing to take on for you, your family, and anyone you might love that you come into contact with. I'm obviously not making that decision for you, go to the brewpub with your buddies and skip wearing a mask everywhere, knock yourself out. But I am not going back to anything remotely like the old normal until I am forced to or things have improved dramatically.
    Agree. And of course I’d love to send my kid off to camp (both overnight and day camp) but as CO reopens, we’ll have to see where this goes.

The question is: do you really trust some high school kid counselor to make sure your kid and ten others are keeping apart? Also, it’s the whole asymptomatic thing that gets me. If we only needed to test via thermometers or symptoms, I’d feel better. But the fact that dozens of counsellors and kids could be sick and not know it...that’s what my fear comes from.

Agree. And of course I’d love to send my kid off to camp (both overnight and day camp) but as CO reopens, we’ll have to see where this goes.

The question is: do you really trust some high school kid counselor to make sure your kid and ten others are keeping apart? Also, it’s the whole asymptomatic thing that gets me. If we only needed to test via thermometers or symptoms, I’d feel better. But the fact that dozens of counsellors and kids could be sick and not know it...that’s what my fear comes from.
    absolutely. It's not just a vaccine I am waiting on, or better treatment options, it's widespread accurate and rapid testing (for both the virus and antibodies).

Just because the firefighters have gotten more containment of the fire doesn't mean I'm going to walk into the burning building.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Covid and your kids

Well, just heard our overnight camp cancelled the June session and the two day camps we had our daughter in cancelled through June.

So I didnt really see a thread specifically for this covid phenomenon.

My kids are very friendly. Have many friends. My daughters best friend, pre covid, was literally at my house every week basically Friday - Sunday. Then the faucet shut off. Understandable.

How are you all dealing with this as restrictions start to ease? My daughter best friend is asking for a sleepover. Im not overly concerned. We know the family, basically know where they go.

I think getting kids back to even a semi normal has to happen soon. Being social is important.

so maybe use a multiplier of 5 so my county may have 35 active cases for 36,000 - again works out to approx one percent

Flame away.
    where I live the ratio of confirmed covid cases to county population is aprox 1:500

what is it where you are?

there are 927 total cases in vt with 53 deaths and 777 recoveries - meaning maybe 97 active cases

so lets go with a one in ten ratio for active cases to total cases. so for my county there are maybe around seven active confirmed cases out of 36,000 people - that seems low risk to me and my oldest interacts with two friends and the little guy went to a birthday party of a total of seven people

the multiplier for confirmed to actual covid cases is tough - so 35 active cases calc'ed to 36,000 is .1 percent

in the north country in NY (directly across the lake from me) the testing for those with antibodies is at about one percent
    Last edited by DBdude; 05-14-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Moving, wife working out of the house full time in June, can keep my job, but need to find childcare, which is proving difficult. Yeah.

We are in a bit of a conundrum right now with regards to returning our daughter to school. A brief memo was emailed and my wife spoke to the teacher yesterday as parents were being canvased on which families wanted to return their kids to school (K-6 only so far). Small classes and staggered so only a couple days a week for each student. No school bus service yet. But she had no answer to what happens at the school during recess and lunch. The breaks are a big deal to the union it seems and the school is always looking for parents to monitor the halls and outdoors while the teachers take their lunch break. No adults are allowed in the school without sort of special privilege until further notice. So the social distancing they are trying to achieve with small and staggered classes is sort of fucked as soon as the kids are set free at lunch and recess. Makes no sense to me or the wife, but the question was at least asked, so we will see what transpires.

The return is voluntary and the statement was made our decision is permitted to change should we feel more comfortable with the local situation at some future time. So far there are no reported COVID cases in our community of <3000 people the local school serves.

Talking to the teacher, our daughter is in the small minority of kids actually participating in the online learning being provided, and we have little worry about her scholastic ability to move into a new grade in the fall, so at this time we are going to proceed with isolation, continue with the home learning, and see what happens in the community over the next 3weeks or so. Continuing our social segregation into the summer months will put a bit of a strain on everyone though.

Just saw news of reported outbreaks today at 2 childcare facilities in CO. Ugh.

Link?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Fuck. Daycare here is currently supposed to reopen end of June but I’m not optimistic

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My kids school in MA is done for the year. I am overseas for at least another 2 months. Wife is still working full time, luckily now from home. The boyz are 7 and 10. My wife has been amazing, even more so than usual when I am away. They have a daily routine for school/educational items, 3 periods where they go outside in the yard to do kid stuff. They will get out in the harbor to paddle 2 kayaks and SUP as work and weather permits. Have all sorts of time for the arts, yesterday I think they started a band with flute, trombone and piano.

They walk the dog twice a day and are all masked up and have little or no interaction with other people or kids in person. They are both able to get together with friends though various online programs and or course video games. Mostly they just go outside and play football in the yard, only 1 tooth down so far to go along with plenty of fighting and a couple bloody noses. MIL has showed up twice unannounced. My wife is beside herself when this happens as Pammy just doesn't get it. My parents who usually see the kids each week for a sleepover come by once and a while to say hello through the gate or door and areal good about social distancing and have made masks for everyone. . They are lucky to have each other and do enjoy being together. The 7 year old really admires his big brother an loves being around him(although he will never admit it) The big bro is starting to understand the responsibility of being looked up to and he really has responded well.....pretty much...kinda. I am sure he still gets his shots in though. Little bro doesn't always complain about shots that are not to the face or nuts.
    I am more worried about my wife's mental health than the kids social interaction. I think the warmer weather will help as they will get out for hikes and paddle time. I talk or video chat to them all at least every other day.
    Last edited by 2nd mate; 05-14-2020 at 06:20 PM.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Link?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    https://www.cpr.org/2020/05/14/covid...-care-centers/

My situation is about as complex as I'm able to deal with. My ex and I have a kid and her and her husband have a 3 year old. My partner has four kids (one has severe asthma). My ex's kid has been going to a locked down daycare at a local business that is deemed essential and can operate at a reduced capacity. My ex is friends with the other daycare parents and they follow the same protocols as we do. I'm comfortable with their protocols and although not 100% ok with it it has been working. My kid is starting to get a bit stir crazy but she started going back to climbing team practices so that should help (their supervised and pretty well contained). With all the moving parts my kid has't seen or hung out with friends other than online. They go back and forth from all four of our houses. My partner and I have returned to work and the other three parents all wfh. We're getting closer to letting our kid hang out with friends (they know the rules and have been damn good at following them). I'm not sure of her friends' parents lockdown procedure so I guess I'll get to have those conversations and decide what I/we are ok with. My partners kids are pretty introverted and don't have "friends" that they'd see outside of school anyway so they're fine. The 15 year old has been hanging out with a couple friends and I'm not sure my partner was ok with that (her ex had the kids then), it was unbenounced to us and was a bit of a shock but it's probably opened the door to allow my kid a bit more of a leash.

No idea about school next year or summer camps (my daughter would attend the one at the local business' daycare). Fucked if I know what to do going forward but all we can do is roll with it and try to keep us and them as safe as possible.

There is a new CDC advisory that was sent out about the Covid 19 version for kids that is showing up. A list of symptoms like Kawasaki disease - They have a name for it now- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) Coronavirus-Related Inflammatory Syndrome- affects the heart and other major organs with inflammation (and not the lungs and respiratory breathing like adults with Covid 19) - so parents need to stay vigilant for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    There is a new CDC advisory that was sent out about the Covid 19 version for kids that is showing up. A list of symptoms like Kawasaki disease - They have a name for it now- Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) Coronavirus-Related Inflammatory Syndrome- affects the heart and other major organs with inflammation (and not the lungs and respiratory breathing like adults with Covid 19) - so parents need to stay vigilant for sure.
    I mentioned this to someone who’s republican and a smart person...she just goes “FAKE NEWS!”

I mentioned this to someone who’s republican and a smart person...she just goes “FAKE NEWS!”
    There are plenty of Democrats who think this whole thing is bullshit.

Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    There are plenty of Democrats who think this whole thing is bullshit.

I hope it is. If it’s not and it gets worse, that’s a game changer.