Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    It is what it is though. Someone has to fill the vacuum. Small potatoes in the big picture.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    agreed but still, i'd at least send the bill to the district as kind of an in your face thing...parents shouldnt have to do that to protect their children in school. Thats what taxes are for. Plenty of people pay them that dont even have kids...

Youngest still hybrid - 2 days in-person, 3 days remote. Numbers in schools and county remain pretty low. Mask usage is pretty solid in my area, from what little "out" time I've had over the last month or so.

Oldest 2 kids are up in Montana, and the trend is a bit concerning. They are only in class for a bit more than a month this semester, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that they will at *least* complete classes this year.

Our Gov just cancelled all HS fall sports as our 7 day rolling avg is the highest its been since this started....Starting to take its toll on my kiddos, for sure.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

My 15yo was injured himself in the first soccer game, hasn't been able to play. He's sweating basketball season. If there is one, he hopes that he's healthy. His hedge is snowboarding on the Smuggs season pass he convinced me to buy him before he got hurt. Solid plan. Of course the Rotary Club ski bus has been cancelled for this season.

My two daughters, 7 and 9yo, have been on a hybrid schedule so far and the middle and HS kids have been all virtual but that is about to change. The older kids are coming back on a week-on/week-off hybrid schedule and the younger kids are supposed to go back full-time, or possible 4 days with Wednesdays off. No outbreaks or cases from any of the in-person kids, and the two kids in my 9yo's class who have gotten sick (no COVID) got COVID tests and results fast enough that they didn't need to quarantine the whole class or anything while waiting. We'll see what happens with more kids back at school and more time actually inside when the weather starts to get too cold.

In spite of the masks and distancing and a recess system that sounds a lot like a prison camp, my daughters look forward to their days in school each week. When I'm easy and let them work at their own pace and only pick stuff that looks interesting, or we ditch and do something fun, they love homeschooling with Dad. But the days where I try and get them to buckle down and do closer to a full day of school work they start wishing they were back at school with a real teacher. The school has done a good job of providing work but since I'm working from home and work is busier than usual thanks to COVID I don't have the time everyday for the type of hands-on help and instruction that a 7yo and 9yo need, especially when it comes to introducing new concepts.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Our Gov just cancelled all HS fall sports as our 7 day rolling avg is the highest its been since this started....Starting to take its toll on my kiddos, for sure.......
    That sucks. Where is this?

Montana Governor is running for senate so he's reluctant to impose more lockdown restrictions beyond his mask mandate, despite our surging numbers. He says people know what to do, and if they refuse to do it, there's not much more that restrictions can accomplish except to put businesses out of business. I suppose he's got a point. Billings (Yellowstone County) is rolling back restaurant and bar capacity to 50% because they have the worst numbers in the state. Hospitals are stressed and almost maxed. And yet I know guys over there who are still posting shit on FB about the fake virus, etc. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    That sucks. Where is this?
    New Mexico I believe

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    New Mexico I believe
    Correct.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Covid and your kids

We’re starting our 8th week of full time in-person in Denver, with only 1 case during the first week where a cohort of 18 had to quarantine (not us). It’s been a godsend for everyone’s mental health but feel like this is going to end soon, with local cases going up. The school is trying so hard but it will be the parents who screw it up.

Covid and your kids

School just announced they’re partnering with CovidCheckColorado for fast, regular testing, starting with teachers and staff. Not sure if they’ll end up testing students too, since there’s 700+ but I’m hoping this will help keep school open safely.

https://covidcheckcolorado.org

My 9 year old is on a hybrid schedule where he is in person 8-11:30 and online in the afternoons. So far it’s going alright. My wife and I both work so the online learning happens in the evenings and we pretty much only focus on reading and math. He goes to a local charter school and so far they’ve had no cases. He’s also made it through a baseball season and halfway through soccer with no sick kids. Fingers crossed it keeps up. Utah is looking real shitty right now though so I’m a little worried about ski team this winter if we don’t stop dropping.

Ski team is what I am worried about. Our district is about to go back (hybrid schedule) but we're staying online for now.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I am so tired. And the outlook is fucking grim.

Good thing the fucking bars are still open.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I am so tired. And the outlook is fucking grim.

Good thing the fucking bars are still open.
    We just hit an all time record of 678 new daily cases, it's been going nowhere but up since mid-September.....And here in the Q, the fucking bars are closed.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

I think we (CO) hit another record today with 1141. Bars with food service are open. Those need to be shut down ASAP.

I've said from the start of all this, what i worry about is all the dumb parents who don't take things seriously when I'm deciding if my kids should go to school in person.

From a NYT article reporting on a SLC valley school outbreak, which they claim as possibly one of the worst in the country:

"Mr. Walker said he had heard from some Corner Canyon parents that there was an agreement among mothers at the school — he called it a “mom code” — not to get their children tested for the virus even if they became ill, to avoid adding to the school’s case count and contributing to it being shut down. "

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I think we (CO) hit another record today with 1141. Bars with food service are open. Those need to be shut down ASAP.
    Home office, home gym, home bar. I'm losing my mind. I think my kid starts in person this week. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    agreed but still, i'd at least send the bill to the district as kind of an in your face thing...parents shouldnt have to do that to protect their children in school. Thats what taxes are for. Plenty of people pay them that dont even have kids...
    Yet teachers have had to buy their own supplies for a long time. Weird what happens when conservative state leadership starves budgets.

RANT:

Wife and I are newborn parents. Brother in law came into town last weekend and stayed with us. He used to live in SLC and has plenty of friends in the valley, but I'm happy he chooses to stay with us. Prior to him arriving, I call him and say look we're still taking this pandemic very seriously and I hope you are going to be/have been taking similar precautions since you are staying with us. He assures me that he is. He arrives and spends most of the weekend at our mutual friend's house who happens to like cocaine and all of my BIL's friends that also seem to really like cocaine also seem to be hanging out with my BIL over the weekend. I don't necessary frown upon cocaine use but think its particularly risky to puting a drug in your nose with a highly contagious disease floating around and I felt that him using inadvertently put my family at greater risk. So i point blank asked our mutual friend, who was like oh yea, we were partying. I then proceed to confront my brother in law who said he didn't feel welcomed at our house and it started with our pre-arrival conversation and that there is "no perfect risk free way to spend time with others" during the pandemic. He then told me he no longer wants to have a personal relationship with me and has since blocked me on all social media accounts/ways of communicating. He also owes me money for skis and told me to have his sister/my wife to contact him for the money he owes me, who I'd rather not get her involved. am I in the wrong? How should I proceed? Also, my wife's family is close. Like we spent 6 weeks living at her parents house this summer and see them almost on a monthly basis....

and ya, I'm mainly like fuck my BIL. he's sort of a nice guy but super self centered and narcissic which has grown old on me over the years so I'm not really too bent on the "break up" I do think its a little childish of a way to proceed but overall, I'm cool with it and don't see it as much of a lost in terms of friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    RANT:

Wife and I are newborn parents. Brother in law came into town last weekend and stayed with us. He used to live in SLC and has plenty of friends in the valley, but I'm happy he chooses to stay with us. Prior to him arriving, I call him and say look we're still taking this pandemic very seriously and I hope you are going to be/have been taking similar precautions since you are staying with us. He assures me that he is. He arrives and spends most of the weekend at our mutual friend's house who happens to like cocaine and all of my BIL's friends that also seem to really like cocaine also seem to be hanging out with my BIL over the weekend. I don't necessary frown upon cocaine use but think its particularly risky to puting a drug in your nose with a highly contagious disease floating around and I felt that him using inadvertently put my family at greater risk. So i point blank asked our mutual friend, who was like oh yea, we were partying. I then proceed to confront my brother in law who said he didn't feel welcomed at our house and it started with our pre-arrival conversation and that there is "no perfect risk free way to spend time with others" during the pandemic. He then told me he no longer wants to have a personal relationship with me and has since blocked me on all social media accounts/ways of communicating. He also owes me money for skis and told me to have his sister/my wife to contact him for the money he owes me, who I'd rather not get her involved. am I in the wrong? How should I proceed? Also, my wife's family is close. Like we spent 6 weeks living at her parents house this summer and see them almost on a monthly basis....

and ya, I'm mainly like fuck my BIL. he's sort of a nice guy but super self centered and narcissic which has grown old on me over the years so I'm not really too bent on the "break up" I do think its a little childish of a way to proceed but overall, I'm cool with it and don't see it as much of a lost in terms of friendship.
    Um, no offense, but your BIL deserves a dick punch. Fuck that guy.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

That's what I was thinking.

Tell your wife what went down so she understands and walk away from him unless she can smooth things out. I still would walk away from him but she can at least save face with her family.

He's pissed because he knows you're right. That's how functioning addicts flip the blame for their behavior. Too bad you didn't nix his visit before it ever happened, but at this point just cut him out of your life as much as possible. Nod and say hi at family gatherings, that's it. Shitty situation. Can't even imagine how many family relationships have been wrecked by covid.

Tell him to grow some balls and leave your wife out of his problem. Pay up and mail a check. After that, he doesn't exist.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    RANT:

Wife and I are newborn parents. Brother in law...
    Fuck that guy. His behavior is completely out of line based on your initial discussions with him. Don't want to quarantine and be responsible? Find a hotel to party at.

Everyone should respect the risk tolerance of the most restrictive person in the group. Full disclosure, that's usually me in my group, so I have some bias, but it's not a big deal to respect other's risk tolerance.

the whole point of having that convo with him to begin with was to give him the opportunity to decide he wasn't comfortable staying with you, not to say "yeah, yeah, I get it" and then to act in a fashion contrary to what you discussed while still staying with you.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy