Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Just thought about something future generations will probably miss out on: snow days. May have happened anyway but covid accelerated it. Those poor bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Just thought about something future generations will probably miss out on: snow days. May have happened anyway but covid accelerated it. Those poor bastards.
    Oddly enough, my kid had a snow day on Monday...

It may not be this year or next but it's coming. Cherish those snow days, kids!

My daughter's best friend's elementary school just went on 2 weeks of virtual because of a staffing shortage (I assume because of covid cases and quarantines). This is the reason we opted to just stay remote when the schools opened up. I think the yo-yoing would be harder than a full remote routine.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Snow days rocked because getting up at 6am to freeze at the bus stop and spend all day at school sucked. Now kids can roll out of bed and attend class in pajamas while eating breakfast.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Snow days still rock....it’s the only way I can ski mid week......or get personal days back when I’m on my trips....

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My daughter's best friend's elementary school just went on 2 weeks of virtual because of a staffing shortage (I assume because of covid cases and quarantines). This is the reason we opted to just stay remote when the schools opened up. I think the yo-yoing would be harder than a full remote routine.
    Staffing shortages are really the crux of the whole thing, not only at schools but hospitals too. When you have close contacts quarantining for 14 days, it creates an almost impossible situation as it starts to snowball. Same issue is going to punch ski areas in the face a few weeks after opening. Unless they try to sweep positive cases under the rug and fuck the quarantining protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    And school is supremely fucked. Such a reverse knee jerk to the initial shut down. Its a slow motion trainwreck thats picking up speed. 3 weeks in person, 2 weeks online, get yer asses back in class for maybe a hybrid schedule nawww fuckit fulltime. My wifes science classroom is so fucking small you'd say to properly social distance youd maybe get 10 kids in there. Nope 36 to 42 students, more asses than seats. Canyons school board can fucking suckit!
    same district. so last week, the elementary school my wife works at called and was told a kid tested + in her class. he was in her class for 3 days before they told her and still won’t tell her who the student is? she teaches STEM/IT and comes in contact with pretty much every kid in the school so there's that.

tonight was better. got a call from the high school. apparently, my daughter has been quarantined since oct. 28 but they forgot to tell her or us. that was days ago? guess where she was when they called? her first debate since february with her team at the high school (zoom comp) but people wonder why were at 2,987 cases today. jfc.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    same district. so last week, the elementary school my wife works at called and was told a kid tested + in her class. he was in her class for 3 days before they told her and still won’t tell her who the student is? she teaches STEM/IT and comes in contact with pretty much every kid in the school so there's that.

tonight was better. got a call from the high school. apparently, my daughter has been quarantined since oct. 28 but they forgot to tell her or us. that was days ago? guess where she was when they called? her first debate since february with her team at the high school (zoom comp) but people wonder why were at 2,987 cases today. jfc.
    Wow. That's pathetic.

Covid and your kids

This one’s good. High school opens up for hybrid learning. That lasts 3 days, then they have to shut it down cause some kids test positive and too many teachers have to quarantine due to exposure. You might wonder how this happened?

Turns out, according to people close to the situation, a parent threw a party involving alcohol for 15-20 freshman, and the next day a mostly the same group of 15-20 freshman went to a local restaurant together for a meal. Covid ended up running through the group and they brought it to school, shutting it down for everyone.

Privilege for the win!

Too bad people can't be charged with criminal stupidity.

Our elementary schools went back full time this week. The high school in the next town over just went full remote due to staffing issues. They had been full time since the beginning of the school year. No one socially distances or even limits their social interactions anymore. We're fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    This one’s good. High school opens up for hybrid learning. That lasts 3 days, then they have to shut it down cause some kids test positive and too many teachers have to quarantine due to exposure. You might wonder how this happened?

Turns out, according to people close to the situation, a parent threw a party involving alcohol for 15-20 freshman, and the next day a mostly the same group of 15-20 freshman went to a local restaurant together for a meal. Covid ended up running through the group and they brought it to school, shutting it down for everyone.

Privilege for the win!
    unbelievable

It's just human nature. So better believe it. People can't be trusted to do the right thing. A friend of my SIL got on a plane from Florida after testing positive with symptoms. Happy Flying.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Our elementary schools went back full time this week. The high school in the next town over just went full remote due to staffing issues. They had been full time since the beginning of the school year. No one socially distances or even limits their social interactions anymore. We're fucked.
    One of those elementary schools (Irving) had to shut down on day 1 due to 2 teachers testing positive. The entire 8th grade at one middle school (CJ) is entirely remote for two weeks.

My high school kids are not stoked at the prospect of going back full time in January. Our rates are some of the highest in the nation. IMHO massive failure by Federal, state and local leadership to properly address this Pandemic.

Covid and your kids

Virtual vs in-person is a decision point for us. My kids are doing virtual to start the year.

Trying to decide if in-person instruction makes sense for kids this winter/spring. My ex contends that since the kids are doing sleepovers and having friends over when at her house (no masks or distancing) they might as well just go to school, which is a line of logic I’m having a hard time following. The schools are generally a shit show.... and so is virtual learning.

WWMD?
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Virtual vs in-person is a decision point for us. My kids are doing virtual to start the year.

Trying to decide if in-person instruction makes sense for kids this winter/spring. My ex contends that since the kids are doing sleepovers and having friends over when at her house (no masks or distancing) they might as well just go to school, which is a line of logic I’m having a hard time following. The schools are generally a shit show.... and so is virtual learning.

WWMD?
    IMO it depends on how the school district is addressing social distancing, masks, etc. Are they serious about it or is it a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    IMO it depends on how the school district is addressing social distancing, masks, etc. Are they serious about it or is it a joke?
    Somewhere in between. Local schools are all trading two week quarantines. Seems to be 6-8 weeks on, 2 weeks off.
    focus.

A friend of my SIL got on a plane from Florida after testing positive with symptoms. Happy Flying.
    This, along with the fact that it would be to visit elderly relatives, is my I won't fly. How many people get up on the day of their flight home, no sense of smell and a fever and just say fuck it versus quarantining in a hotel for two weeks? I'm guessing just about all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Somewhere in between. Local schools are all trading two week quarantines. Seems to be 6-8 weeks on, 2 weeks off.
    If they can't be distanced in the classroom (like on an A/B schedule with only half the kids there), and if the staff is not committed to enforcing masks, I would say not worth the risk.

So my girls are both virtual. My wife has a masters in edu and I always work from home so it’s been alright.
    Given the social disruption though we’ve let them play sports and see friends, (trying to push SD and masks).
    It ain’t enough tho. That shit is all over our valley. Damn near every family we know is testing. Fuck. My older kid had 3 viable exposures last week! Thankfully two positive tests. Sucks but we are moving to isolation measures til things lighten up.
    Very tall order to ask 12-14yr olds to not be close. Get it!
    Resort season up next!

Yeah. It's almost impossible with teenagers to tell them they can't socialize or play sports. Plus my oldest works at a day care and is exposed to multiple kids at her job. I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just a matter of time before we get it. Too many cases to contact trace effectively or control in our community. And Trump is going to take as many people down with him as he can before he's gone. I hope he is some day held accountable for modeling and promoting unsafe behavior among his followers and causing so many unnecessary deaths. Sorry, /rat flu rant.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah. It's almost impossible with teenagers to tell them they can't socialize or play sports.
    It's not impossible, it's just difficult. And that's why Americans aren't doing it, because if it's not easy, no one wants to sacrifice.

Fuck, look at Notre Dame last night... 11,000 college kids rush the field during a college football game, and no one gives a shit. Then on the other side of things, the government is ruining small businesses everywhere by restricting the number of customers so they can't survive. What a fucking shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's not impossible, it's just difficult. And that's why Americans aren't doing it, because if it's not easy, no one wants to sacrifice.

Fuck, look at Notre Dame last night... 11,000 college kids rush the field during a college football game, and no one gives a shit. Then on the other side of things, the government is ruining small businesses everywhere by restricting the number of customers so they can't survive. What a fucking shit show.
    My kids have sacrificed a lot, actually. And they are careful and smart about it, and I give them a lot of credit for that. My 16 yo skipped a Halloween party that kids from two high schools were going to, and she is staying away from those who went for a couple weeks, just as one small example from many months of being careful. But my point is just that the virus is so pervasive at this point that it is closing in, even on people who are being careful.

And I agree small businesses are bearing the brunt of restrictions, some of which don't make much sense, while foolish people socialize and gather and spread the virus recklessly. It sucks, and I do everything I can to support local businesses with my dollars.

Covid and your kids

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    It's not impossible, it's just difficult.
    Our daycares here still haven’t mandated masks for the kids. They haven’t done so because they think it’s too difficult for 3-5 year olds to do. Meanwhile we have friends back east that send kids to daycares that have mandated masks inside AND outside since early summer. They say the kids are great and that the masks are almost always being worn. We’ve recently been pushing for it at our daycare and our daughter now wears a mask all day even though most other kids don’t. Just because it sounds difficult doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Push your daycares on masks if they aren’t required already.