Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 404
  1. #126
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,411
    My main concern is classmates with dumbfuck parents who don't believe in masks or are just sloppy with them, so their kids become infected and then bring it to school, with zero symptoms. I can trust the school, I can trust my 6-year old kid to wash hands and wear a mask, I can't trust random people,or their kids who are 6-7 years old.

    My three year old can not be trusted though, ha. Everything goes in her mouth.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    11,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    lol...no tears baby soap....safe and simple.. we also bought about 50 "bumpers" 5ft water bags, typically used for under pool covers or to hold pool covers down. That should keep them on track. ordered 15 bales of hay to be delivered Wednesday. Heavy duty tarp at bottom to create "pool" with surrounding hay bales. Since we are on a well we are going to use a re-circulating pump to bring water from pool back up to sprinkler/hose. If should be pretty bad ass if my vision comes through.
    Coolest dad ever!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    12,111
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    well, it's unfortunately not about whether any of us like it or not...

    per the article: "It really shouldn't be a debate of getting kids back to school, but getting kids back to school safely," said Dr. Jennifer Lighter, a pediatric infectious disease specialist at NYU Langone Health in New York.



    nothing i've seen yet gives me any confidence we know how to congregate safely yet & schools seem like they will be the grand unifying spread mechanism, even if the kids prove to be durable

    the best thing we did when this started was shut down schools

    we will be consciously creating outbreaks w/ all levels of school; it seems just crazy imho

    it will play out just like the state re-openings & we will all pretend we had no way of knowing...when we know for a fact that we don't yet have any control of the situation


    distancing is basically all we have that actually works at the moment & we've grown tired of it; we haven't conquered anything
    All I'm saying is that when six different experts in the field are all saying unequivocally that they'd send their kids to school, well, I'm inclined to send my kid to school if it's open. If it's not open, well, he (and we) will have to suck it up and deal with it.

    As far as consciously creating outbreaks--the preponderance of evidence currently seems to be that kids have difficulty contracting the virus in the first place and are not very effective spreaders when they do get infected (especially when they're asymptomatic). My kid has been walking to school alone with a neighbor friend since they were seven. We decided that the benefits of doing so outweighed the possibility that they might get abducted and murdered. In-person school and COVID is going to require a similar calculated risk and I'll happily abide by whatever decision his school chooses to make.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    12,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Coolest dad ever!
    Thanks. I dont know about coolest. ive seen some pretty cool shit, but with covid there arent many options and this sounded fun..hell i'd probably have preferred a location type (water park etc), and so far im into this deal for like $400 and thats just the slide. 10mil plastic aint cheap at 20x100'.

    Will post pics and maybe video next week.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    7,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    All I'm saying is that when six different experts in the field are all saying unequivocally that they'd send their kids to school, well, I'm inclined to send my kid to school if it's open. If it's not open, well, he (and we) will have to suck it up and deal with it.

    As far as consciously creating outbreaks--the preponderance of evidence currently seems to be that kids have difficulty contracting the virus in the first place and are not very effective spreaders when they do get infected (especially when they're asymptomatic). My kid has been walking to school alone with a neighbor friend since they were seven. We decided that the benefits of doing so outweighed the possibility that they might get abducted and murdered. In-person school and COVID is going to require a similar calculated risk and I'll happily abide by whatever decision his school chooses to make.
    What evidence?

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,411
    Citing surging cases, the Los Angeles and San Diego school districts will be remote-only in the fall.
    California’s two largest public school districts said Monday that instruction will be remote-only in the fall, citing concerns that surging coronavirus infections in their areas pose too dire a risk for students and teachers.

    The Los Angeles and San Diego unified school districts, which together enroll some 825,000 students, are the largest in the country so far to abandon plans for even a partial physical return to classrooms when they reopen in August.

    More than a third of California’s coronavirus cases are in Los Angeles County and San Diego County has had 18 community outbreaks over the past week, more than double the state’s acceptable threshold.

    “There’s a public health imperative to keep schools from becoming a petri dish,” said Austin Beutner, the school superintendent in Los Angeles.

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    All I'm saying is that when six different experts in the field are all saying unequivocally that they'd send their kids to school, well, I'm inclined to send my kid to school if it's open. If it's not open, well, he (and we) will have to suck it up and deal with it.

    As far as consciously creating outbreaks--the preponderance of evidence currently seems to be that kids have difficulty contracting the virus in the first place and are not very effective spreaders when they do get infected (especially when they're asymptomatic). My kid has been walking to school alone with a neighbor friend since they were seven. We decided that the benefits of doing so outweighed the possibility that they might get abducted and murdered. In-person school and COVID is going to require a similar calculated risk and I'll happily abide by whatever decision his school chooses to make.
    This illustrates the problem. Even smart guys like DTM will feel pressure to do the wrong thing and end up sending their kids to school this fall if they fully open. Might be good for the kid, might be bad for the country. Take your pick. Nobody else cares for the country. Do you choose to save your kid or yourself and the teachers. Stupid choices.

    Same thing has happened here with baseball this summer. Everyone is all in. Social distancing goes away after the first pitch is thrown. Our gymnastics has called us several times...all of your girls friends are back! Why isn't she? What pandemic?

    Same thing happened in Iowa City with the bars reopening and college kids getting hammered and spreading the Rona. Smart kids, but their ball sacks run the show. Now we all take two steps back. They get laid. Good for their dicks. Bad for America.

    We need an adult running this junkshow.

    Right now we're all just spinning our wheels and achieving no progress on containing the virus so we can get drunk and shop maskless or shake our head at the spectacle.

    July marches toward September and we get to enjoy our anxiety ramp up as we prepare to be forced to choose from a menu of bad choices as we're sucked into the stupid vacuum created by all the inaction and confusion of Trump and his tribe of impotent sophists.

    The cherry on top is the money that juiced the economy is running out as (some) people are pulling back on rising covid #'s.

    What a disaster.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,334
    Also my daughters 4th grade teacher who is 60ish with diabetes has Covid as of a couple days ago. Picked up from her kid who went back to college to move her stuff from one apt to another, socialized, came home.

    Same teacher had her house burn down last fall. Killed her dogs.

    Great lady. She has been on zoom with her class all summer, long after she had any obligation.

    But DeVos would have you believe these teachers are evil takers.

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,202
    We’ve all known about plenty of avalanche experts (top in their field) that have died in avalanches...

    Here’s a media report on a kaiser report about vulnerability of teachers:

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/polit...rus/index.html

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,202

    Covid and your kids

    The pediatrician story from nbc sure feels like a heuristic trap. We’ve all known about plenty of avalanche experts (top in their field) that have died in avalanches...

    Here’s a media report on a kaiser report about vulnerability of teachers:

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/polit...rus/index.html

    The district my mom worked at lost 3 teachers this spring. The HS district one of my kids is at lost one of their BB head coaches in the spring.

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,411
    Another fun thought....if all the kids my kids play with go to other random schools this fall, unless we decide to be hermits this is going to complicate things greatly. Maybe we need to pool our resources if they stay home too?

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,202
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Another fun thought....if all the kids my kids play with go to other random schools this fall, unless we decide to be hermits this is going to complicate things greatly. Maybe we need to pool our resources if they stay home too?
    Bubble enforcement between families is difficult.

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,411
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Bubble enforcement between families is difficult.
    New plan: Multi-family bubble currently being formed here by friends who are not keen on their kids going to school. It's funny, the parents need structure as much as the kids when it comes to this shit is what I'm learning. We are thinking about plans/structures and how to do this, but I think it's gonna be fine. Weekday skiing is on the to-do list, thankfully.

    Another idea I had today, and I'm sure many people are taking this idea to the moon right now and I'm clueless: hire a tutor for the 6-year old. 3-4 hours a day, working remotely and teaching her the daily lessons plus much more. And using software where the tutor can share her screen and see our kids screen, with combined video zooming of course for the personal connection. Someone will make millions of this idea. I know this won't work for a lot of kids, but my 6 year old will absolutely love it. And probably many more like her.

    Bubble up, boys.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    just outside the bubble
    Posts
    1,174
    Our 5yo has been at a full time montessori for 2 years, supposed to start kindergarten at local public elementary in Aug. plan is full time in person, broken into 3 smaller classes. Masks required apparently but that parts been unclear. Not sure how well kindergarteners are gonna handle that. We’re hesitant based on how things are looking. We also are really looking forward to him starting at this school for a variety of reasons.

    We’d told the current school he wouldn’t be returning in Aug way back in the beginning of the year, so they start filling those spots. This week, with all that’s going on, we ask if they happen to have any spots open, and they do have a 3 day/week opening. So we’re weighing the options. The Montessori handled things great starting in March. We trust they clean extremely well, they have regular meetings with county public health officials, take temps every morning, check symptoms, hand sanitizer everywhere, and a nurse on staff. Generally diligent all around. Feels ‘safer’ than public school, but still a risk nevertheless. The decision is more of a hedge against shit hitting the fan and the public option going remote, which just seems impossible for grade K almost. He’ll still go to public elementary for 1st grade next fall assuming shits ‘normal’. Neither decision will makes us feel good, pros/cons to both for sure.

    I’m wfh full time currently w/ some flexibility in schedule, thankfully. Wife runs biz out of house but it’s slowed almost to a stop, for better or worse, as she pretty much has full responsibility for our 1.5 yo daughter.

    Good luck to everyone with kids out there. Crazy times.
    It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. –Ernest Hemingway

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,202
    We never bubbled up. Now too many families threw in the towel. Bubbles have all popped that would potentially work for us. Maybe we’ll give it a few weeks for families to hunker down again and give it another go. WAY harder with one of our kids as a teen. He’s and friends are trying to be careful, but I can’t say the same for their parents.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Masshole
    Posts
    1,899
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    This illustrates the problem. Even smart guys like DTM will feel pressure to do the wrong thing and end up sending their kids to school this fall if they fully open. Might be good for the kid, might be bad for the country. Take your pick. Nobody else cares for the country. Do you choose to save your kid or yourself and the teachers. Stupid choices.

    Same thing has happened here with baseball this summer. Everyone is all in. Social distancing goes away after the first pitch is thrown. Our gymnastics has called us several times...all of your girls friends are back! Why isn't she? What pandemic?

    Same thing happened in Iowa City with the bars reopening and college kids getting hammered and spreading the Rona. Smart kids, but their ball sacks run the show. Now we all take two steps back. They get laid. Good for their dicks. Bad for America.

    We need an adult running this junkshow.

    Right now we're all just spinning our wheels and achieving no progress on containing the virus so we can get drunk and shop maskless or shake our head at the spectacle.

    July marches toward September and we get to enjoy our anxiety ramp up as we prepare to be forced to choose from a menu of bad choices as we're sucked into the stupid vacuum created by all the inaction and confusion of Trump and his tribe of impotent sophists.

    The cherry on top is the money that juiced the economy is running out as (some) people are pulling back on rising covid #'s.

    What a disaster.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Very well written UM.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    12,111
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What evidence?
    The six medical professionals NBC interviewed didn't provide a reference list, but this seems to be a good summary: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/art-20484405

    There are far fewer cases of the virus reported in children, and reported rates of severe symptoms, hospitalizations and deaths for kids are far lower than the overall average. I am really not concerned about my son's personal safety going to back to school. The risk to his teachers and other school staff is potentially a different story. If they decide they can't bring kids back and keep themselves safe, I'll happily abide by that decision.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    8,058
    I haven't seen much discussion about what happens when other illnesses start popping up - colds, flu, strep throat, etc. Is my kid out of school for 3 weeks every time she gets a cold with a lingering cough? No way they're going to be Covid testing all these kids.

  19. #144
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Flavor Country
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The six medical professionals NBC interviewed didn't provide a reference list, but this seems to be a good summary: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/art-20484405

    There are far fewer cases of the virus reported in children, and reported rates of severe symptoms, hospitalizations and deaths for kids are far lower than the overall average. I am really not concerned about my son's personal safety going to back to school. The risk to his teachers and other school staff is potentially a different story. If they decide they can't bring kids back and keep themselves safe, I'll happily abide by that decision.
    The studies referenced in the first article below are small, and there are only 4 of them, so drawing wide-reaching conclusions from them is a risk. The study from Chile is a bit larger and points to parents and teachers as the drivers of that particular school outbreak, although the study does acknowledge some unique factors that may not apply to future school outbreaks.

    And like you, if school is open we will be sending our two, but if the district decides not to we will be fine with that as well.

    https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...ds.2020-004879

    https://academic.oup.com/cid/article...iaa955/5869860
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    7,463
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I haven't seen much discussion about what happens when other illnesses start popping up - colds, flu, strep throat, etc. Is my kid out of school for 3 weeks every time she gets a cold with a lingering cough? No way they're going to be Covid testing all these kids.
    Wouldn’t it be nice if the federal government had used the time we bought from lockdown to get a system in place for proper testing and tracing, to help schools reopen safer?

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    7,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The six medical professionals NBC interviewed didn't provide a reference list, but this seems to be a good summary: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/art-20484405

    There are far fewer cases of the virus reported in children, and reported rates of severe symptoms, hospitalizations and deaths for kids are far lower than the overall average. I am really not concerned about my son's personal safety going to back to school. The risk to his teachers and other school staff is potentially a different story. If they decide they can't bring kids back and keep themselves safe, I'll happily abide by that decision.
    Yeah, it’s not the children I worry about. It’s the risk to teachers, staff, parents, grandparents....

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,202
    The long article in science is also informative.

    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...pite-outbreaks

    Now that some of the larger metro school districts are standing firm, mostly for the safety of the staff, I believe we know where the trend is going.

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    14,268
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I haven't seen much discussion about what happens when other illnesses start popping up - colds, flu, strep throat, etc. Is my kid out of school for 3 weeks every time she gets a cold with a lingering cough? No way they're going to be Covid testing all these kids.
    It's not just your child that would theoretically have to leave for 2-3 weeks, it's her entire class. My understanding based on some of the local district guidelines is that if one kid gets sick, the whole class- including the teacher- goes home. My wife teaches 2nd grade and she said it's virtually every day that a kid shows some of these symptoms and/or asks to go to the school nurse. Without any kind of testing available, they would have to automatically assume the kid has CV and the whole class goes home.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Moose, Iowa
    Posts
    6,334
    On Point is having a well rounded conversation on this school restarting topic now.

    https://www.wbur.org/onpoint

    https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2020/07...kids-education

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,411
    So I mentioned not trusting dumb-ass parents of other kids around my kids earlier, and then this happens south of me:

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46777290...ealth-concerns

    Buncha parents were protesting about the mask-mandate for schools.


    "Denna Robertson, one of the rally organizers, said she’s “absolutely” comfortable sending children back to school without masks. She said wearing masks is not a public health issue because she believes COVID-19 was manufactured in a lab.

    “Coronavirus is man-made. It’s a weaponized virus,” Robertson said.

    She accused Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, and business magnate and philanthropist Bill Gates of being part of creating the virus to usher in “a new world order” by reducing the world population to 5 million people.

    Robertson, who’s also a mother and grandmother, said she isn’t concerned about contracting the virus from one of her grandchildren.

    “If I’m infected with COVID, it’s because I’ve not been taking care of my immune system. You know how your immune system gets strong? It’s by being in the dirt and getting exposed to bacteria and viruses,” Robertson said."

    They are much dumber than I expected. possibly inbred?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •