Thread: DIY SUP Sail

DIY SUP Sail

One of my toss up ideas for MDW is an 80-90 mile paddle on Lake Powell from Halls Crossing down to roughly Reflection Canyon and back. I'll have 3 and a half days to complete the trip which is absolutely not a problem mileage wise assuming low wind. However, if the wind is cooking in the wrong direction on the return journey that could present an issue for making it back to work on Tuesday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lake Powell HC-RC.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	328365

I have some very rudimentary knowledge of sailing. So, this idea boils down to using the wind whenever possible when it's at my back and having the option open to tack into the wind if, say, I'm facing a 15-20mph headwind.

The whole design I've schemed up revolves around using scotty mount pattern to anchor in the mast (just talking about utilizing the holes and custom making a base plate). I've got one that's centered at the nose, and another a bit front and left of board center.

The main question I have right now is this: does the mast need to be able to rotate, swivel, etc? Or can it be 100% fixed/pinned. If the latter, I could pick up an additional side deck mount and make this fairly easily.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0241L_BLK_02.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	328363

This system could be really freakin simple with probably 2 forestays for the mast and the sail controlled by one jib/main sheet.

Please let me know if you see any perceived shortcomings here.

i would look at the windpaddle, I've used it seakayaking, I got the smaller model, probably get the bigger one
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^That looks cool, if the wind is at your back that would be all you need.

Into a headwind though you'd need to manipulate your sail of choice into a shape that will generate lift which I don't think would be possible with one of those.

If you intend to sail any direction other than downwind, you'll need a keel/centerboard/outriggers etc. Without something in the water to balance the pressure of the sail, you'll tump or make so much windage that setting the sail will work against you and you'll have to paddle anyway. Forget tacking into a headwind in a canyon unless you have a deep long keel - you won't be able to point close enough to the wind. You'll sag off and be paddling like crazy trying to keep your board within 45degrees of where you intend to go

You may be better off smuggling a trolling motor or have your girl call you in sick on Tuesday.

kite?
    watch out for snakes

these are your two best options (there are multiple brands making similar):

https://ozonekites.com/products/wings/wasp-v1/

https://shop.duotonesports.com/en-gb/home_irig

In the seakayak you need a pretty good tail wind and then you can sail it about as fast as you could paddle but with no work just hold up the string in one hand and the paddle in the other, if its not windy it easily folds up and goes in the boat or on the deck but like highangle is suggesting do you wana sail or do you wana paddle ?

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    If you intend to sail any direction other than downwind, you'll need a keel/centerboard/outriggers etc. Without something in the water to balance the pressure of the sail, you'll tump or make so much windage that setting the sail will work against you and you'll have to paddle anyway. Forget tacking into a headwind in a canyon unless you have a deep long keel - you won't be able to point close enough to the wind. You'll sag off and be paddling like crazy trying to keep your board within 45degrees of where you intend to go

You may be better off smuggling a trolling motor or have your girl call you in sick on Tuesday.
    Excellent point, I have a crude idea for a keel. More for course keeping than tipping.

A daggerboard on an outrigger might help. Esp with a Hawaiian sail. I suspect someone has engineered a Hobie Cat-style daggerboard you can swing down aft. Hobie makes a larger "Sailing" rudder for their Mirage-drive kayaks, but you'd prob need something a bit larger to point close enough to the wind to avoid constant tacks [aka "making short boards"]

What is the prevailing wind? Are certain stretches known for bad headwinds? What about winds aft of the beam? How fast does the river flow @expected water levels?
    If you can quantify this shit, it may help you make better decisions.

Another thing to think about is getting taken aback by unpredictable gusts in a canyon...You don't need a 'crash jibed and broke shit' or 'got unhorsed and lost gear carrying sail like a Tasmanian' story.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    kite?
    My first thought, seems like you could take advantage of more favorable winds aloft. Probably want some hooks to hold your feet on the board too.

Lake Powell is about the last place on earth I'd want to be on a SUP in storm. Good luck with that.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    havin gotton my ,stayed out to long, ass whooped and lost gear in a blown to the other shore ,sail wouldnt have done shit but gotton in the way or lost too manner
    id stick to a river with current or find a friend with a fuckton more stabile and bearable in possible inclimate weather
    boat for backup and help
    i know this guy
    his boat could use a motor
    if he where to
    partake in such sillyness
    cause even that boat has been rendered unable to make progress in an intended direction by wind fuckages
    unsinkablematters
    though
    im workin on a bear river multi dayer on the sup first
    that sounds way less risky
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sounds like you are inventing a windsurfer.

Lol

Starboard actually makes sup windsurfers
    https://sup.star-board.com/products/sup-windsurfing/

But the mast and boom, etc. would be a pain to store if you are mostly paddling. In that case, i think a Kite is the no brainer.

As for a centerboard or center fin, you can actually sail upwind by angling the board (side to side) to windward ,and the rail digs in and the scooped nose (assuming its more of a wave sup than a race sup) will actually track upwind.
    . . .

yup this^^

Fuck this, I always over complicate shit.

I'm going back to XXXer's original idea - use the wind when you can. The good thing about this trip is I can turn around at any time, not like I'm dropping into the GC and floating it to Mead ferchristsakes. Yea famous last words I know.

I'm not going to jinx the weather with any speculation yet.

Also FTR I wasn't planning a sail anywhere near as large as one of those star-board sups. That could easily fuck your shit up if you're not dialed. Was initially thinking something in the 345 triangle proportion with the short side being 3-4 ft. Not purposed to milk speed out of a light wind, more as a fail safe 'faster than paddling' option if things were really cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Also FTR I wasn't planning a sail anywhere near as large as one of those star-board sups. That could easily fuck your shit up if you're not dialed. Was initially thinking something in the 345 triangle proportion with the short side being 3-4 ft. Not purposed to milk speed out of a light wind, more as a fail safe 'faster than paddling' option if things were really cooking.
    If your mainly going downwind ish. It would be easy to rig a small sail using your sup paddle.
    Actually a cool idea.

If going to windward you’ll want a better sail shape and dagger boards etc.

Edit. Wow. The inter webs haz the shizz already
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Fuck this, I always over complicate shit.

I'm going back to XXXer's original idea - use the wind when you can. The good thing about this trip is I can turn around at any time, not like I'm dropping into the GC and floating it to Mead ferchristsakes. Yea famous last words I know.

I'm not going to jinx the weather with any speculation yet.
    I suggest you watch those vids on the windpaddle site

i bet you already got a couple of deck hooks to clip on to, the sail is on a big springy Carbon fiber circle that self deploys when you let it go, you hang on to the string and it pulls you along

when you don't want the sail it just folds up 3 times into a round shape (think folding a bike tire) that for my purposes fit in a 10" kayak hatch or inside my cockpit and it is super light weight