Camera for wife - Gift

My wife has wanted a SLR (or whatever the current thing is these days) for a few years now. She is graduating from a pretty serious program (not art, science) soon and this seems like a good graduation gift. She mostly wanted it for taking pictures of the kids, maybe some hobby photography. She has a background in art, so could see her doing that sort of thing.

I don't think a big camera will get used because a big camera won't get carried around. She also recently got an iPhone (10?) that she seems to really like taking photos with. She also wouldn't ever carry around a cheap point and shoot I don't think because of the iPhone.

So looking for opinions on a couple of things:

- Should I get her a SLR or mirrorless with interchangeable lenses? If so, which one? (My budget is probably $600 to start)

- Should I buy her some Moment or similar lenses for the iPhone?

Thanks in advance. (PS - I know just about nothing about cameras and current technology.)

I would not buy anything for the iphone. More lenses stacked on the built in iphone, even though the effects are kinda cool, also gimmicky imho. So easy to drop them. A dedicated camera is great if you are prepared to drop the cash. Honestly craigslist is a great place to buy lenses & save then buy a new body in store to sum up most of this reply. You want e-mount sony. One or two lenses maximum

Mirrorless 100%. So much lighter. Sony has the most intuitive system by far, you might even learn a thing or two. Now you have two options for sony mirrorless, the bigger sensor ‘Full Frame’ route or the smaller sensor ‘APS-C.’ Bigger budget or smaller budget. The camera body is cheap part, lenses are costly if you pay full retail. Many stores have dealz out there. They are both fantastic & I think you are leaning towards the smaller sensor cameras. Anything from the store is good, I’m not super up-to-date but they are all great along the lines of models nex6300, nex 6100, nex6000, etc.. Or you can try used from reputable camera companies that resell, such as adorama, KEH, and I think B&H Photo does used also. They have rating process stating how ‘like new’ the camera is it’s always better than stated. It’s referred to as the e-mount series. The lenses are also significantly cheaper than the a-mount (full frame, bigger sensor) series.

The 35mm sony lens &16mm pancake lens are two great lenses for her. 16mm does the wide angle shots your iphone does for group photos. The 35 is nice for general use and the odd portrait. Those two lenses would scratch the ‘photography’ itch just fine. More lenses =/= good. Lenses are the expensive part, luckily the camera may come with a 16-50mm zoom lens which covers all those focal lengths. Or buy the body and a 35mm or 16mm on it’s own. Sony has some crazy zoom lenses if you think she will be shooting birds or doing lotsa portrait head shots of the family. Tbh probs not necessary to get her started. She can get used to the camera & lenses for a few months then do her research.

The 16mm and any sony e mount body can fit in my man pant pockets. Lady pockets probs not, but easily any coat pocket. Incredibly compact which is awesome. Also the wifi/bluetooth technology where you can send the photos from camera to iphone, is game changer & must have, get the camera with that she will love it.

Camera
    One zoom lens or
    One/two prime lens(fixed focal length no zoom)
    2X 16or32gb or bigger memory cards(always buy the fastest ones) then the camera wont be as laggy between shots. Huge storage cards means-never unload pics off camera, memory card gets lost, busted, stolen, lose ever picture ever. Smaller card promotes transferring them to computer/external storage somewhere else. This is also where being able to transfer them to phone practically immediately is slick for. Kids will appreciate the pro like shots for tinder, instagram, linkedin

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I agree with GrantN above- mirrorless camera all the way. And I'd recommend one do-it-all lens for her, if she really digs it and wants to expand later, then she could get a good prime lens for kid portraits.

If you don't mind buying used, then I think your budget will work. But new, it'll be tight. I would look at cameras like the Canon M50, Sony a6000 or 6300, and the Fuji X-T20.

Agreed. Mirrorless.

You'll get 100 opinions on this as far a brand goes. But for $600 for new camera in APS-C with interchangeable lens you'll discover you're really limited to a few brands and IMO you're better off with the iPhone until you get into the $1000 territory, even though you don't learn anything about photography with a cameraphone.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

So I should buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8BICB2...osi&th=1&psc=1

Or the Olympus OM-D-M10 Mark iii kit with 14-42mm for $599?

Love my XE1.... cheaper - if you can find one - than the XE2/2s/3, but older model.

https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Mirr...tronics&sr=1-4
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    So I should buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I8BICB2...osi&th=1&psc=1

Or the Olympus OM-D-M10 Mark iii kit with 14-42mm for $599?
    The Sony sensors/cameras are significantly better than Olympus, which is micro 4/3'rds. That loosely translates to "really shitty in sub-optimal light".

I used the M50 a couple of years ago and it produces some really great photos. It also has the touch-screen AF, which is super cool to use. This is a pretty solid deal:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...?skuId=6204310

Also a decent two-lens Sony A6000 deal here: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-al...?skuId=4750000

Probably out of range, but how about a ricoh gr iii?

Bought a used Sony 6000 off craigslist.

It sits in the bag more than it’s used by the fam.

Most pics are iPhone pics.
    Convenience.

Don’t go crazy. It’s nice to have a real camera, but don’t expect it to always be used
    . . .

^That's my point. I don't find the $500-600 put everything on "Auto" cameras much more capable than a high end smartphone camera. And transferring the pictures can be a PITA.

Photography gets interesting when you start playing around with focal lengths, aperature widths, shutter speed, etc. and for that you'll want something a bit better. But before you plunk down that dough you have to want to experiment with that stuff.

but does it have a ceiling fan mount?

I've been using a Canon m100 for work. Really nice and small so it is easy to have with you at all times. The 15-45 lens that comes with it is passable but if you put the 22 pancake lens on there it really shines. I believe there is an updated version of the camera so maybe can find the old version for cheaper.

I agree the Sony A6XXX is a great option...was amazed at the quality I got out of my old A6000 and it was pretty damn good at capturing cars doing over 130 heading up Pikes Peak.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have an Canon M50 for when I'm trying to pack light, and it's a great little camera.

Maybe I'm the only one... but I still have love for dslrs... Buy whatevers cheap body you can and a nifty fifty?

My guess if she's into photography and relatively artistic, she'll find the shallow depth of field more fun to play with vs caring about the 'quality' of the image (DR, whatever else).

... and sure you can get comparable 'quality' on a phone compared to some cameras on auto, but if you have a relatively large aperture, no amount of 'portrait mode' or some shit will make up for that.

I did end up picking up the a6000 kit. It seems like a decent camera that she will enjoy playing around with.

And if she doesn't, I will.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and advice!

Enjoy!

So, any idea on what case would fit this camera? We have the Sony a6000 16-50mm lense mentioned above. I can't see us buying a new lens for it for a few years.

Looking for something that can be stuffed in a bigger bag and maybe has a shoulder strap.

Ideas:

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/toploa...w-lp37345-pww/

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/dashpo...p36442-config/

I really like my https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/turnstyle

For bigger hauls, I also use https://www.hazard4.com/bags/photo-bags/freelance.html

But that is way overkill for you.

As you can tell, I prefer sling packs. I also have an insert that I can shove in any pack:

https://www.tenba.com/en/products/ac...camera-inserts

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    So, any idea on what case would fit this camera? We have the Sony a6000 16-50mm lense mentioned above. I can't see us buying a new lens for it for a few years.

Looking for something that can be stuffed in a bigger bag and maybe has a shoulder strap.

Ideas:

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/toploa...w-lp37345-pww/

https://www.lowepro.com/us-en/dashpo...p36442-config/
    If you're going to just put the camera into a bigger pack, then why even bother with anything at all? When I take mine MTB'ing, I just put it in the top of my backpack; never had any issues, and it doesn't get scuffed up or anything. I usually make sure I've got a rain jacket or something soft in there to keep it buffered from my pump/tools/etc, but that's about all I do.

For a strap, check out the Peak Design leash systems.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    If you're going to just put the camera into a bigger pack, then why even bother with anything at all? When I take mine MTB'ing, I just put it in the top of my backpack; never had any issues, and it doesn't get scuffed up or anything. I usually make sure I've got a rain jacket or something soft in there to keep it buffered from my pump/tools/etc, but that's about all I do.

For a strap, check out the Peak Design leash systems.
    Need somewhere safe to store it at home as well.