Thread: Shimano brakes

Shimano brakes

Are the new ones really that prone to leaking? My old 785s are on their last legs and I need another set anyway for the fatty. When I got the xt brakes there was nothing that could touch them for power and reliability and not fucking squealing. I love the one finger lever and the power, I weigh 250 pounds so what has no modulation for an average rider has perfect modulation for me. I have an ispec-2 shifter in a box I was thinking about using but I’m not set on it, more concerned about them just working and being easy to maintain.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Im just ok with my codes atm and thats mainly because i put 220 rotors on. Id switch back to shimano in a flash. I had one of my saint levers leak 3 yrs ago but i replaced it and that new one along with the other one have been issue free. New bike came with the codes but my saints are just sitting and im this close to swapping them. One rear code caliper has the pistons on one side doing all the movement. Sram quality control sucks. Overpriced fisher price toys. Id say get some 4piston slx or even the new deore 4 piston brakes. Not much difference between brakes apart from the zee and deore(i think) dont have the no tool lever adjust. If you have big hands just get the deore 4pots and some big rotors. Mega power

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

no
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’ve used 8000 - multiple sets , 8020 multiple sets
    And now 9120.

They don’t leak, still feel great, occasional wondering bite point.

Having said that- and I haven’t tried the 8120 (the gen2 xt 4piston)

The best of the bunch in terms of consistency and lever feel for me have been the first gen of Xt 4 piston the 8020. The 9120 XTR are really solid, beautiful pieces, but just not quite as consistent.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Love, love the new 9120’s, have them on two bikes. No wandering bite point or leaking for me. I am sure the XT four pots are the same.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Glad to hear it. I fell in love with the shimano brakes and didn’t want to change.

I have some 8120's and I think they're pretty great. They have a better feel than my old m8000's and my 8020's but they still suffer from the wandering bite point on occasion.

Magura ftw

Get some mt5's and don't look back

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Magura ftw

Get some mt5's and don't look back
    As much as I am a shimano fanboy, and I am, I’m going to try some mt something’s on my next build. Just to see what’s up.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    As much as I am a shimano fanboy, and I am, I’m going to try some mt something’s on my next build. Just to see what’s up.
    I am hooked. They feel so much better than my m8000s, and those are great brakes.

Those mt5s are pretty cheap too.

Picked up my new bike last week and it has mt7s. Always had shimano and always loved shimano. These mt7s are shaping up to be the ticket. Awesome. Seem to be just as easy to bleed as the shimanos too

Just ordered a pair of mt5s for $220 brand new. That’s the price of one xt brake. Plus It looks like I can use my ispecii shifter with them.

Might be time to try some mt's. More and more they sound great. Need to find a deal. Price always dissuaded me from change

Dirt merchant bikes in Colorado is doing $110 per brake free shipping in US

Thats a good deal. Im off cross border shipping for the forseeable future though. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Love, love the new 9120’s, have them on two bikes. No wandering bite point or leaking for me. I am sure the XT four pots are the same.
    What he said
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

my erratic bite point only happens towards the end of pad life, but it is annoying.