Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    since the OP said he was stopping in Denver. I would go SLV. Was riding gravel to 11000 in early March. Single track is all dry except for the alpine stuff. Pronghorn is open.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm fairly confident that our second wave is going to be far, far worse than our first wave.
    Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think (and hope) that you're very wrong.

We definitely have a big tourism industry, but tourism brings new Covid cases, which means everything goes back on lockdown. Back in late March, our cases were doubling on a 3-4 day timeline. Then they shut down the hotels and short term rentals and we haven't had a new case since. So all of those hotels, restaurants and guides can either be nominally open and limp along with local business, or the tourists can show up and all businesses (both tourist and non-tourist oriented) have to shut down again. Don't get me wrong - both options suck. But that's the world we live in, and it's not going to change until there's a broader solution / vaccine / herd immunity.

And sure, a few guys off in the woods with their campers aren't going to hurt anything. But it doesn't really work like that. The people that are legitimately staying low key and keeping to themselves aren't talking about it on internet forums. If the mood in this forum shifts towards "it's ok to travel," that's representative of the mindset of the broader population. Everyone thinks they're capable of "traveling, but safely," which is largely bullshit. Once people start moving around the country, mountain towns and touristy areas are going to get completely fucked by the virus. I'm fairly confident that our second wave is going to be far, far worse than our first wave.
    I honestly think we can have tourists staying in hotels and recreating outside without the same level of spread we saw in resort towns in March. we're still not going back to business as usual in my neck of the woods. you act like it was just the hotels and STRs spreading the disease. but the bars/restaurants were packed shoulder to shoulder, and those aren't going to reopen any time soon where I live. concerts/festivals/etc cancelled. yeah, there will probably be an uptick in cases, most of which will be asymptomatic, but if we all wear our masks, if businesses take sanitizing more seriously, and if we don't have 300 people packed into the local bar breathing on each other every night, I think any uptick in cases will be much more manageable.

our govt's response to the virus has been abysmal and we seem to have wasted much of the shutdown by failing to come up with any coordinated mass rapid testing plan, but we have to reopen to some degree, and the point of flattening the curve was never to stop all cases. there will be an increase. hopefully no one we love dies, and hopefully the second wave isn't more deadly, but we can't stop all deaths. sucks but that's where we're at.

remote tech workers, homebuilders, and independently wealthy people will bitch about tourists and act like it's an option to keep everyone out, but it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Agree with hoping and thinking 'the second wave will be worse' is very wrong. The majority of the damage has been done. That's not to say we won't feel the repercussions for a long time, but I can't imagine seeing this get much worse.... Different? Certainly, but I don't want to imagine this getting much worse. And unfortunately, forcing things "back to normal" isn't going to make things normal. A "new" normal, indeed for the remainder of 2020, beyond, and potentially the rest of our lives. No going back to how things were pre covid 19. It has been far too disruptive to the status quo.

If anything we are better prepared to handle a second wave now. Most people have stocked panties, ventilators and PPE are more available than at the start of this in February, the Army Corps have practiced building field hospitals in major American Cities, schools have adapted to on line learning, some smaller local businesses have embraced e commerce. I'm really just looking for silver linings here, but I can't really stomach entertaining mass-dystopian or apocalyptic futures. And I don't think we need to either.

*I have no idea what I'm talking about and just need to vent. Thanks for reading.

Nothing better than stocked panties!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Nothing better than stocked panties!
    Yum!

Definitely hoping I'm wrong too.

So far, we've had a total of 37 confirmed Covid cases in the valley. But our valley of 100k usually sees around 2.5 million tourists each summer. Even if tourist traffic comes in at 40% of normal, that's still a million people coming from all over the country. There's no way that scenario doesn't lead to a huge spike in cases around here (and reinstatement of a lockdown)

Quote Originally Posted by LesterSmoove View Post
    I honestly think we can have tourists staying in hotels and recreating outside without the same level of spread we saw in resort towns in March. we're still not going back to business as usual in my neck of the woods. you act like it was just the hotels and STRs spreading the disease. but the bars/restaurants were packed shoulder to shoulder...
    At least around here, it wasn't like that. The ski hill was closed, bars were closed, restaurants were closed / on take out only, and pretty much any "social" venue was closed. But hotel and STR's were still open, and it seemed like roughly half of Seattle flocked to our town to "escape" the virus. And, as expected, cases around here skyrocketed. And then the hotels and STR's were shut down, and we haven't had any new cases since maybe the second week of April (local order shutting down short term rentals came out on April 5).

There obviously isn't a good solution to the whole mess. Businesses that rely on tourism are hurting, and they're going to continue to hurt, regardless of what happens. But allowing / encouraging tourism to start flowing again is almost certainly going to result in everything being shut down again, which is bad for everyone. And that's just the economic reality of the situation - that doesn't even account for the fact that more tourism = more spread of the virus = more deaths.

But yes, 100% agree that the federal response has been roughly non-existent, and this whole lock down has been kind of wasted in terms of formulating a coherent response out of this.

Also, X2 on silver linings in stocked panties.

Damn. Looking pretty hot. Surprised to see it says its gonna be hotter in Moab than St. George. Still don't know where I'm gonna go. Thinking San Rafael Area possibly? Other than cool scenery how is the riding over that way?

Could push over to Fruita/GJ. Haven't looked into what's going on with camping and whatnot over there though.

Past 4 weeks we’ve been to the San Rafael swell, bears ears, verbal and Kodachrome basin area. Riding and slot canyoning w the kids. Self contained. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Damn. Looking pretty hot. Surprised to see it says its gonna be hotter in Moab than St. George. Still don't know where I'm gonna go. Thinking San Rafael Area possibly? Other than cool scenery how is the riding over that way?.
    for a gravel bike the XC loop around goodwater rim is great. Ride it both ways for 45 miles, or out on the single track/back on road for 30?miles.

also linking up the other roads in the area would be great too.

Could push over to Fruita/GJ. Haven't looked into what's going on with camping and whatnot over there though.
    Here's a summary, courtesy BikeMag https://www.bikemag.com/news/front-r...bc3783fcf824fb

You could check out some stuff that's a bit higher up in elevation. Thunder Mtn trail near Bryce Canyon, Rainbow Rim on north rim Grand Canyon. There are some nice sections of Arizona Trail on the N Rim. Then skip over to Hurricane.

If the mood in this forum shifts towards "it's ok to travel," that's representative of the mindset of the broader population.
    I would just like to say that this is absolutely not the case, though people on this forum seem to widely believe that it is. The loudest voices here are upper middle class to straight up upper class middle aged to senior white land-owning males in mountain towns or large cities proximal to mountain towns who prioritize outdoor recreation. There is a vast chasm between public sentiment on TGR and public sentiment writ large in the US, if there even is such a thing. "Minority" on TGR is a white male skier/boarder under 40 who still rents.

That's not to say public sentiment here won't shift the behavior of people who spend a lot of time reading these forums, of course. But it is wildly misguided to view TGR as a "Peoria IL" kind of small-but-representative slice of US public sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I would just like to say that this is absolutely not the case, though people on this forum seem to widely believe that it is. The loudest voices here are upper middle class to straight up upper class middle aged to senior white land-owning males in mountain towns or large cities proximal to mountain towns who prioritize outdoor recreation.
    The loudest voices here are a bunch of guys in their 50's and 60's that live in and around Connecticut and travel frequently. It's no Peoria, IL, but when the Connecticut folks on here decide it's time to go on their summer vacation, I can guarantee that a good portion of the country is thinking the same.

I can already see it in our town - after ~6 weeks of people staying away, the percentage of out of state plates is starting to ramp back up.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    That article is nothing but click bait, and is total horseshit. I've got multiple friends that live in Fruita/GJ and they said that other than lots of dispersed campers at Rabbit Valley and 18 Road camping being a shitshow (which is the case all spring/fall anyways), things are pretty quiet in town and on the trails. Just another piece of bullshit "journalism" by Bike Magazine.

The loudest voices here are a bunch of guys in their 50's and 60's that live in and around Connecticut and travel frequently. It's no Peoria, IL, but when the Connecticut folks on here decide it's time to go on their summer vacation, I can guarantee that a good portion of the country is thinking the same.

I can already see it in our town - after ~6 weeks of people staying away, the percentage of out of state plates is starting to ramp back up.
    Gotta agree. Same story here lately. I expect the less impacted places will be thinking it can't happen here until it is halfway ramped up. Hopefully not before fall, but we're already rolling the dice on the weekends.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I would just like to say that this is absolutely not the case, though people on this forum seem to widely believe that it is. The loudest voices here are upper middle class to straight up upper class middle aged to senior white land-owning males in mountain towns or large cities proximal to mountain towns who prioritize outdoor recreation. There is a vast chasm between public sentiment on TGR and public sentiment writ large in the US, if there even is such a thing. "Minority" on TGR is a white male skier/boarder under 40 who still rents.

That's not to say public sentiment here won't shift the behavior of people who spend a lot of time reading these forums, of course. But it is wildly misguided to view TGR as a "Peoria IL" kind of small-but-representative slice of US public sentiment.
    ya know I roofed a bit in Peoria and surrounding for a lemont union company I got hooked up with and supported the par a dice more than I should of
    aurora and elgins boats were better
    a few of the work crew went to the swell last weekend not to bad or crowded windy
    a few went and camped blm moab supped/yaked the green said same
    I rarely type in caps so I don't think im loud do make payments of ownership and prioritize outdoor rec
    upper middle class because 1/2 gits paid closer to upper and the bum pays his auto weed and fishing bills which are closer too lower middle
    wife says projected peaks icu admins been pushed to aug
    what that peak will be or if that changes under yellow tommarrow next week
    I don't think anyone knows
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

a buddy of mine was in GJ/Fruita last weekend, and he said the lots and trails were at least 2x as crowded as any bike festival at the same locations he's been to (he goes to all of them).

Today, D headed down to Peekaboo Gulch and the staircase for a few days. Next week, we want camp either in Lees Ferry, or Calf Creek.
    It's time to visit southern UT in an isolated sort of way.
    I never really care much about being around people, but right now I do feel the need to being out in the great wide open.

Mushrooms and Joshua Tree sound good right about now
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Today, D headed down to Peekaboo Gulch and the staircase for a few days. Next week, we want camp either in Lees Ferry, or Calf Creek.
    It's time to visit southern UT in an isolated sort of way.
    I never really care much about being around people, but right now I do feel the need to being out in the great wide open.

Mushrooms and Joshua Tree sound good right about now
    I would have second thought on Joshua Tree. I do not know what is open. My friend lives right outside the gate. He is a pretty chill person. He is definitely pissed about people trying to camp illegally next to his house. Tired of picking up trash from said campers. Tired of asking people not to park in his driveway and having people shit in his yard.
    off your knees Louie

Goblin Valley was nice yesterday. Tried a gravel ride and it was somehow 40mph wind both directions. Totally switched on me when I had enough 7 miles in road 1013. Good blm camping though.

Slickrock today. 3 cars in the parking lot. 60+ mph gusts. Fucking crazy. Wind hopefully dies tonight. Porcupine tomorrow? But I'm not gonna shuttle cause I'm not getting in some van or bus with strangers. Brutal to pedal up the road?

Gotta find camping in San Juan County tonight.

Riding GJ Thursday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Goblin Valley was nice yesterday. Tried a gravel ride and it was somehow 40mph wind both directions. Totally switched on me when I had enough 7 miles in road 1013. Good blm camping though.

Slickrock today. 3 cars in the parking lot. 60+ mph gusts. Fucking crazy. Wind hopefully dies tonight. Porcupine tomorrow? But I'm not gonna shuttle cause I'm not getting in some van or bus with strangers. Brutal to pedal up the road?

Gotta find camping in San Juan County tonight.

Riding GJ Thursday.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    No need to shuttle Porc imho, just think of it as a nice gravel grind warm up Only sucks If it’s dusty and lots of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    No need to shuttle Porc imho, just think of it as a nice gravel grind warm up Only sucks If it’s dusty and lots of traffic.

Yes, and of course everyone used to do the climb in the olden days, it’s not as bad as everyone thinks. Hardest part of the entire ride was actually a pavement section: from Moab to Sand Flats camping after eating a massive burrito and drinking a couple beers in town. Motivation at that point was loooowwwwwww.

But I'm not gonna shuttle cause I'm not getting in some van or bus with strangers. Brutal to pedal up the road?
    Are they even allowed to run shuttles yet?

Are they even allowed to run shuttles yet?
    I think Porcupine Rim Shuttles are running.

Santa Clara Friday afternoon - didn't see anyone
    Little Creek Saturday - two groups
    Thunder Mtn Sunday - Lots of people finishing up when we got there around 11. Saw two groups of hikers and two groups of riders on the trail.

Gonna brave Fruita this weekend. Methinks it'll be busy.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Gonna brave Fruita this weekend. Methinks it'll be busy.
    Memorial Day Weekend in Fruita? It's busy AF during a normal, non-pandemic year. I wouldn't go near that place this weekend.