View Poll Results: What size Kusala do you want/ will 189 work for you?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll

12 40.00%

10 33.33%
  • Want or will substitute 189 to make it happen

16 53.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    "pre drilled for pivots"

That's some real tgr maggot shit right there. This thread makes me feel good inside. Thanks for all your continued efforts Pat. Hopefully I can sway the CFO and get in.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Talked to Keith today and we're going forward with the 189 Kusala. I'll be sending him pics and engineering so he can put up a buy page and adjust the dimensions and start making the pieces. All this will start and the buy page will be up on the Praxis site in about ~10 days.

So the 189 Kusala is going to become a reality.
    Guaranteed rare status given there will only be 20-25 pair made and they might never be made again.

Im stoked!

I need another pair of skis like I need another dick... so obviously I am IN.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    I need another pair of skis like I need another dick... so obviously I am IN.
    Right, but if I have to have two, I wanted a bigger one than what I got I better learn to rip on the Lhasa Pows.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Talked to Keith today and we're going forward with the 189 Kusala. I'll be sending him pics and engineering so he can put up a buy page and adjust the dimensions and start making the pieces. All this will start and the buy page will be up on the Praxis site in about ~10 days.

Guaranteed rare status given there will only be 20-25 pair made and they might never be made again.
    fkna

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    My $0.02 is that, if there will only be one run, keep the proven 186 length. Also makes it a more versatile touring option than a longer ski.
    Shafty85 - As we move forward I've, of course, been thinking about the new Kusala in 189. Earlier someone mentioned how low the tip is and I agree with that. I often thought that low tip was going to auger in and I'd go over the bars. But it never happened. The length of the reverse camber is 110 cm. I've been thinking about how much tip we could/should add and how much length we could/should add to the contact surface while keeping the width and sidecut the same or only 1-1.5 cm longer. powdork probably has skied the Kusala more than anyone. I think he burned through 2 or 3 pair skiing every day for a couple years or more on them. Maybe he could chime in on these thoughts. Believe me, the additional length is going to happen without creating any difference in the way it performs. Every millimeter of length will be accounted for in ways I know will deliver the same experience on snow because I'm all in for skiing them myself.

Shafty85 - As we move forward I've, of course, been thinking about the new Kusala in 189. Earlier someone mentioned how low the tip is and I agree with that. I often thought that low tip was going to auger in and I'd go over the bars. But it never happened. The length of the reverse camber is 110 cm. I've been thinking about how much tip we could/should add and how much length we could/should add to the contact surface while keeping the width and sidecut the same or only 1-1.5 cm longer. powdork probably has skied the Kusala more than anyone. I think he burned through 2 or 3 pair skiing every day for a couple years or more on them. Maybe he could chime in on these thoughts. Believe me, the additional length is going to happen without creating any difference in the way it performs. Every millimeter of length will be accounted for in ways I know will deliver the same experience on snow because I'm all in for skiing them myself.
    Zbo skied Kusalas a lot, too. Might be worth asking for his thoughts

Gawd, I think I sent Z one of the very first protos built without a mold and they were horrible.
    Hope I'm wrong about that. And I'm sure he ripped the shit out of them.

Did y’all decide on whether there will be options beyond what is arrived at as the standard build for this one?

wondering the same.

My recommend for a Kusala is a hybrid glass/carbon layup, which was our standard layup other than the pure carbons we did. He can also do a just glass layup. Beyond that, Keith has different cores he offers. There, I'd say go light, but that's just me. Hopefully, he'll have some of those trick fucking wood veneers he did on the Lhasas.

I have had to tear through thumb drives and hard drives galore to find the engineering for the Kusala and just sent the files to Keith this am. Almost thought we'd have to reverse engineer it and did not want to have to do that. Neither did Keith. But I finally found them in a nondescript file folder and we're good to go. Keith will get that page up asap. He's actually stoked to do these, as am I. I'll no longer have to nurse the 40 holes per ski pair of powdork's throwaways with less than paper-thin bases I've been clinging to for four years.

The only file I failed to locate so far is the topsheet art file. If I can't find it, I'll be asking someone with a pair in excellent shape to get me a hi-res photo of the Kusala font that we can blend into the standard topsheet art the Kusala shares with Lhasas.

The only file I failed to locate so far is the topsheet art file. If I can't find it, I'll be asking someone with a pair in excellent shape to get me a hi-res photo of the Kusala font that we can blend into the standard topsheet art the Kusala shares with Lhasas.
    Here's a fairly high res photo that someone took a while back. Pretty good framing, too.
    https://photos.imageevent.com/banos/...noramaXnpt.jpg

If that's not good enough, let me know and I can snap a shot of the black & white version with my wife's DSLR.

edit:
    I obsess. So here's a vectorized PDF of the text.

https://bit.ly/3fdoTUk

Made with Inkscape (file also at this link). Can be converted to a bunch of different formats if you need it in another form or want to modify it.
    Last edited by lucknau; 07-07-2020 at 01:18 PM.

OMG, lucknau. That is beyond awesome! Thank you so much!!!!

Right on. Any time.

So, we're good to go now. Keith's been busy so we're getting together next week to go over the CAD, make the adjustments, talk layups, and details. He said he'll prolly have an order page up by the end of next week.

What length?

189. It will tolerate the change without changing the tolerances.

It will get a higher tip, which will be nice, can keep the dims, reverse camber profile and length, as well as the sidecut all very, very close to the 186, preserving the performance aspects of the 186 in a 189. The 186 Kusala is a special dreamboat. My focus is making the change so subtle it will only be better. A higher tip will make it feel more stable at speed, less thinking about if it will submarine, and better allow it to plane anything, while that positive sidecut will grip hard stuff. I think we're looking an additional 2cm in the tip and 2cm in the body. (Remember the length discrepancy?)

2 cm is a perfect addition in the tip. Really needs it. But rather than just throwing in 2 cm at some location along the base profile, I want to chop it up and spread it out in increments along the length of the base to better preserve that radius. I love visualizing ski designs in my head. The opportunity to fine-tune an already special design is something that has to be approached with a mindset of perfectionism. It's a rare opportunity. I hope Keith doesn't shudder when I explain this to him.

Intolerance will not be toleratedName:  south-park-s06e14c08-devitzens-tolerance-camp-16x9.jpeg
Views: 822
Size:  90.9 KB

189. It will tolerate the change without changing the tolerances.

It will get a higher tip, which will be nice, can keep the dims, reverse camber profile and length, as well as the sidecut all very, very close to the 186, preserving the performance aspects of the 186 in a 189. The 186 Kusala is a special dreamboat. My focus is making the change so subtle it will only be better. A higher tip will make it feel more stable at speed, less thinking about if it will submarine, and better allow it to plane anything, while that positive sidecut will grip hard stuff. I think we're looking an additional 2cm in the tip and 2cm in the body. (Remember the length discrepancy?)

2 cm is a perfect addition in the tip. Really needs it. But rather than just throwing in 2 cm at some location along the base profile, I want to chop it up and spread it out in increments along the length of the base to better preserve that radius. I love visualizing ski designs in my head. The opportunity to fine-tune an already special design is something that has to be approached with a mindset of perfectionism. It's a rare opportunity. I hope Keith doesn't shudder when I explain this to him.
    Sounds killer. This ski has always intrigued me. Just need to decide if I need a 4th pow ski in the quiver....

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Sounds killer. This ski has always intrigued me. Just need to decide if I need a 4th pow ski in the quiver....
    .Name:  75d5fd7ae329aaf5ef52f36f48fcde79.jpeg
Views: 854
Size:  55.1 KB

Just ask Keith to put a Protest topsheet on yours

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Rather than allowing overboard changes such as those that occurred on the 191 Lhasa's last pressing (just my honest opinion), this ski will function like the original. I won't take the magic and clusterfuck it with any radical change. Preservation is my goal. I'd love to blow your mind with this one.

Rather than allowing overboard changes such as those that occurred on the 191 Lhasa's last pressing (just my honest opinion), this ski will function like the original. I won't take the magic and clusterfuck it with any radical change. Preservation is my goal. I'd love to blow your mind with this one.
    While your opinion stands firm as the designer of the original, I'd respectfully propose an alternate take: that the tail tweak of the 191 Praxis Lhasa Fat was an attempt at bringing a cult classic design into relevance amongst very high-performing newer shapes, and I think it was mostly successful. While you may have placed great importance on the ski's ability to rail an edge on hardpack, the consensus here before pressing was to loosen it up in order to improve pow duty per its width class... and it still rails on firm, so I'd chalk that up as a win overall.

Changing gears a little... I'm hopeful that Keith will be able to offer a UL build for the Kusala, as my main interest in this shape is for pow touring. As with my prior point, I already have a few skis that are nearly ideal for aggressive inbounds pow/chop but may give up a tad of outright pow performance to achieve it.

The slight changes you propose are sounding about right.

Fun to see this moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    .Name:  75d5fd7ae329aaf5ef52f36f48fcde79.jpeg
Views: 854
Size:  55.1 KB
    Heh
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Just ask Keith to put a Protest topsheet on yours
    Loo
    That change was much needed and made that ski what it longed to be with zero ill effects. Jmho as well as others I’ve talked to who have skied both. But whatever.
    Praxiskusala sounds killer man. Not sure if I’m going to add it or wait. All my purchases are on hold right now to see how my recovery progresses. Peeps need to jump on this tho..