Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Jumping in to the MTB Scene - Qs

Wow, that’s a lot of money for a used MTB, woof. You could have purchased a 2020, full XT build Fuel EX for $3200.
    crab in my shoe mouth

if the bike has any creaking sounds like from the seat post a dab of carbon paste makes a big difference
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Wow, that’s a lot of money for a used MTB, woof. You could have purchased a 2020, full XT build Fuel EX for $3200.
    *For a used, 3 year old bike from a racer. Lol. lightly ridden, never crashed, mechanic owned.

It'll be a rad bike for sure though... especially for someone coming from old outdated bike.

That's a nice bike. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    thats probably market for an SB6, new those were like 6-7K

Used yes, but I inspected the frame and everything else, no slop, no dents, no cracks, not much wear. Few scratches but that's about it. I spec'd out components for this build and it was $8400 new. Been watching the Denver used market the past couple weeks, this was honestly one of the least expensive I'd seen for similar yetis 2015-2018 that are usually built out with slightly lower end components. I'm confident I could sell this next year for no loss after riding it a season with almost zero effort. Coloradans like their yetis...

That being said, I certainly don't plan on doing that. Going to ride it as much as I can this year, hopefully learn a lot and progress as a rider. Next year maybe I'll demo a bunch of new geo bikes and decide if I want to trade in if I figure out I like a different type of bike a lot better, but I feel like I’ll probably just keep this and ride it as much as I can the next few years
    Last edited by Muggydude; 05-15-2020 at 12:33 PM.

A dent would be bad. Changed my vote on pedals

https://www.instagram.com/p/CALEXdYj...d=avuu47gp5g3t

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

you can get a real kit for 100+ but I wrapped mine with 4" wide clear 3m vinal

I just bought a Trek X Caliber 8 (hardtail 29) for $1000 cash new. Full warranty and free tune ups as long as I own it. Figure it will pay itself off. Climbs great, as good as a hardtail gets on the down.

I was going to fix up my old bike, but priced that out at spending about half as much and still having a 18 year old bike.

Thought about going suspension, but don’t really have the money. And my buddy has an extra e-bike I can borrow that is a ton of fun to ride when I want to put in some real vert and hit the DH.

Should pony out I prefer XC runs with short techs sections and long flow sections and lots of ups and downs.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    The privateer enduro is insanely good value https://www.pinkbike.com/news/privat...duro-bike.html and they’re coming out with a trail bike too.
    Oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Oh my.
    Hell of a build for that kind of money.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Privateer ticks pretty much every box. My bikes usually end up a little portly but im not sure i could tolerate 36 or 37lbs? Would i end up making it even heavier?

I didn't see weight discussed anywhere in the article, but if true that is a bit heavy.

On a quick note I took the Yeti out this weekend. Super happy with it. Climbs well, but it really shines downhill. Faster I go the better it feels, definitely going to start taking it to harder trails this week. Still waiting on my shock pump to get here, fork is currently pretty under-pressurized for my weight. I had a 3" handlebar stem extension on my Giant - makes a huge difference on long rides for my back - the normal more bent-over mountain biking position kills my L5-S1 disc that I herniated a while ago. Not ideal, but going to put the extension on the yeti, ordered some new brake line and bleed kit because the front line is too short currently. Might throw in some new brake pads while I'm at it. Already ordered a good $300 worth of tools, stand, odds and ends - might as well dive in. Got some OneUp Composite Pedals on the way too, using the old Giant ones currently. In my Master's program I have access to a carbon-fiber 3D printer, decided I'm going to design my own pedals too for a project. Carbon fiber composite with either Nylon or PEEK infill.

Anyone have any recommendations for essential bike tools/things to bring on rides?
    Last edited by Muggydude; 05-18-2020 at 03:21 PM.

There is a thread for that if you search but here's a start.
    * Spare tube
    * Pump/CO2 cartridge
    * Snacks/food/Gu
    *Spare hanger
    * Zip ties
    * Cleat screws (if riding SPD)
    * Multi tool
    * Spare chain links

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I didn't see weight discussed anywhere in the article, but if true that is a bit heavy.
    I think Kazimer said it in the pb vid. 35-37 but i think hes on a large and a modest build, still worth considering

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    * Snacks/food/Gu
    I just leave a clif bar in my bag. Ill eat half eaten opened bars that have been in there for a year+ because they apparently don't go bad, ever, and if i actually need an emergency snack out on the trail its because i have bonked and literally don't care if there is a little dirt mixed in.

I usually bring:
    2-3' length of paracord with loops on either end so i can throw a stick through and have an emergency tourniquet.
    dog poop bag (cause you never know when itll come in handy)
    ziplock bag (for phone on wet rides)
    tire levers
    tube
    piece of wire coat hanger to hold chain together when using a chaintool (makes life 100x easier)
    minipump
    multitool
    couple zip ties
    My ID/Insurance card/credit card
    car and house key

I don't really need anything else for an under 2 hour ride. For longer rides ill throw in a bigger first aid kit, a sawyer mini filter, rain jacket, real food, and a couple voile straps.

In a similar boat as OP, anyway piggybacking on the thread. I haven't ridden any bike much in forever, never really did the MTB thing. But I hate running in the heat and I live in salt lake city, so once the snow melts I usually just get fat until ~October when I start trying to burn off the beer gut for ski season. My budget is a lot less though, with a kid on the way. I have no appetite for falling off a bike (every single MTB evangel I've talked to is like "well yeah I mean I've broken some bones riding" and fuck that lol) and will not be doing anything serious for a while if ever... I basically want to bike from my house around the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, or other stuff I can get to from my house. So, half road, half mellow trails. Mostly I want a way to keep getting 10k'+ vertical feet a week all summer without running, because that kinda vert just wrecks my knees/ankles/etc coming down even trail running. Thinking a cheap hardtail 29er, and upgrade the parts if I feel like it.

Is there something less MTB-ish I should look at? Wtf is a gravel bike? Any pricerange expectations I can have? Giant makes stuff for ~$550-750; is this about the basement, or is it even worth buying something this cheap?

My current bike was $40 at the SLC bike collective. I just took it up the paved portion of City Creek Canyon, that was fun. If that helps let you know where I'm coming from. Riding a bike makes my ass hurt still, I'm wearing my (technically bike certified) touring helmet, ratty ski gloves, and so on. I'd much rather buy a cheap bike and upgrade the parts slowly over time, even if this ends up being more expensive in the long run. Because I might just not click with the sport, and the sticker shock, and so on (I could also realistically get my vert in just biking on the road, which is cheaper, but seems suckier with cars etc). But if I love it, I can upgrade stuff and justify a fancier bike down the road, blah blah.

Any advice? I am currently looking at selling some skis and bindings and eating the difference on the Giant Talon 2 29er... but if there were a cheaper option that I could not die on the BST on, I'm all ears. I know it's the wrong sport for cheap, but...

Id say a priority of:
    A dropper
    EZ on the front brake in the corners
    Fit is key
    Have fun and walk some sections first

Aside from those id want some full sus travel for comfort and to save my butt when i screw up. Also disc brakes for consistency

Older 29ers that are efficient and still quite modern in geo and just all around fun would be the kona process 111 or the newer kona satori can be had quite reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    In a similar boat as OP, anyway piggybacking on the thread. I haven't ridden any bike much in forever, never really did the MTB thing. But I hate running in the heat and I live in salt lake city, so once the snow melts I usually just get fat until ~October when I start trying to burn off the beer gut for ski season. My budget is a lot less though, with a kid on the way. I have no appetite for falling off a bike (every single MTB evangel I've talked to is like "well yeah I mean I've broken some bones riding" and fuck that lol) and will not be doing anything serious for a while if ever... I basically want to bike from my house around the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, or other stuff I can get to from my house. So, half road, half mellow trails. Mostly I want a way to keep getting 10k'+ vertical feet a week all summer without running, because that kinda vert just wrecks my knees/ankles/etc coming down even trail running. Thinking a cheap hardtail 29er, and upgrade the parts if I feel like it.

Is there something less MTB-ish I should look at? Wtf is a gravel bike? Any pricerange expectations I can have? Giant makes stuff for ~$550-750; is this about the basement, or is it even worth buying something this cheap?

My current bike was $40 at the SLC bike collective. I just took it up the paved portion of City Creek Canyon, that was fun. If that helps let you know where I'm coming from. Riding a bike makes my ass hurt still, I'm wearing my (technically bike certified) touring helmet, ratty ski gloves, and so on. I'd much rather buy a cheap bike and upgrade the parts slowly over time, even if this ends up being more expensive in the long run. Because I might just not click with the sport, and the sticker shock, and so on (I could also realistically get my vert in just biking on the road, which is cheaper, but seems suckier with cars etc). But if I love it, I can upgrade stuff and justify a fancier bike down the road, blah blah.

Any advice? I am currently looking at selling some skis and bindings and eating the difference on the Giant Talon 2 29er... but if there were a cheaper option that I could not die on the BST on, I'm all ears. I know it's the wrong sport for cheap, but...
    A quick search. This ones local to you , new and probably warrantee, and doesn’t sfb work there? It’s a large listed but maybe they have other sizes and a mag deal?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2750781/

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    On a quick note I took the Yeti out this weekend. Super happy with it. Climbs well, but it really shines downhill. Faster I go the better it feels, definitely going to start taking it to harder trails this week. Still waiting on my shock pump to get here, fork is currently pretty under-pressurized for my weight. I had a 3" handlebar stem extension on my Giant - makes a huge difference on long rides for my back - the normal more bent-over mountain biking position kills my L5-S1 disc that I herniated a while ago. Not ideal, but going to put the extension on the yeti, ordered some new brake line and bleed kit because the front line is too short currently. Might throw in some new brake pads while I'm at it. Already ordered a good $300 worth of tools, stand, odds and ends - might as well dive in. Got some OneUp Composite Pedals on the way too, using the old Giant ones currently. In my Master's program I have access to a carbon-fiber 3D printer, decided I'm going to design my own pedals too for a project. Carbon fiber composite with either Nylon or PEEK infill.

Anyone have any recommendations for essential bike tools/things to bring on rides?
    I don't know how old yer giant was or quite where you are going with your stem thing but the best way to aim the new enduro type bikes and the SB 6 is one ... is elbows out/ lean over the wide bars/ weight on front wheel

Sick bike! Won’t have an issue selling a Yeti when it comes time as well....

I need to have a pretty upright stance (higher handlebars) to keep my lower back straight. Otherwise leaning over puts too much pressure on my herniated disc. Sucks but nothing I can do about it. Not ‘proper’ riding position, but stem extension helps

Id like to see this stem extension. Do you have a link.
    I like being higher in the front then most. You can always bend your elbows when climbing but you cant find that height when youre flying downhill and youre going over the front end. Im trying to find some height. Mm's even. I think ive found a 180 airshaft for my fork to give me 10mm and 2mm higher bar and a stem for another 5mm. Bad mistakes, like last weeks, happen when you go out the front end. My bike has a bit shorter headtube than most and thdy shipped the bike without much extra on the steerer tube. Bit of difficulty finding a 180 airshaft in canada. I think a shop has found one/fingers crossed but i wouldnt mind seeing what you have as a "stem extension"

My 3rd season on an SB5.5 which is almost the same bike, look at the picts of any pro, modern bars are so wide the rider has a 90 degree bend at the elbows & they are over the front end charging but whatever

IME you sit pretty upright on that bike, reminds a bit of riding a a dirt bike