Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Thinking I might be bumping my budget up to around $3k, looking more at buying new now. Ibis Ripmo AF looks great, YT Jefsy Base or Comp 29, Commencal Meta TR, maybe the Santa Cruz Bronson if I can find one on sale, Devinci Troy NX 12s

Anyone know of any good Canadian shops that would ship to US? Might be nice to take advantage of conversion rate. Or US shops that might have a coupon that’ll work for a new bike?

Or a CO shop that might give a good deal right now haha. Would prefer that for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Maybe look at EVO. They have some decent sales and a location in Denver. And can prolly ship from one of their other stores to Denver store, if necessary (but I don't know that to be a fact).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Maybe look at EVO. They have some decent sales and a location in Denver. And can prolly ship from one of their other stores to Denver store, if necessary (but I don't know that to be a fact).
    I bought a bike from Evo last summer, had it delivered to their partner store in Bend, OR, where I was going to be anyway for a trip. No shipping costs if they send it to a partner store, and because it was Oregon, no sales tax. That saved me a good chunk. IIRC there was cashback too from one of the CB places.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Based on how many bikes you have listed, and how different some are from others, it sounds like you don't really know what bike is going to be a good fit for you. Not meant as a slight, but I think you sound like the kind of guy who needs to throw his leg over the saddle and, "try it before you buy it."

Or, don't listen to any of us, because we are just providing bias, and go buy a bike based on what's cheap and looks cool, and convince yourself you love it because it's the best you've had and we don't know shit.
    Yeah, I agree that it's probably a good idea to demo a few bikes. Just not sure how easy that will be right now.

Not sure why you think those bikes are that different - Ripmo = 150/60mm Travel 29er, Commencal = 130/150mm 29er, Devinci Troy = 140/150mm 29er (or 27.5" Depending), YT Jeffsy 140/150mm 29er, Bronson = 150/160mm 27.5 (Hightower would be more in line with these other bikes)

All generally speaking seem to be longer traveled bikes geared towards do-it-all trail to enduro type riding, which generally seems like a good route for me to go - I'd rather have a more capable bike on the down for some penalty on the up. 27.5 vs 29 is still a question though. I would bet whatever I end up buying I'd probably really enjoy. To be honest at this stage, I don't even know if I could get enough time in getting myself up to speed on more challenging trails before trying to demo these bikes to get a really good idea of their differences.

I have seen a couple pretty good deals on used 2016-2017 Yeti SB5Cs and SB6c in the $3k range, which do seem like they have excellent components are handle well - but consensus still bikes like the ones above will perform better?

All good bikes. Santa cruz and yeti are overpriced in my opinion. Commencal numbers are a touch dated, not by much. There long seat tubes took them out of the picture for me. Jeffsy is a good deal and probably more fun than efficient(good or bad?) And id pick the one with the least e13 parts. Troy is well priced and well built but id factor in $ and geo for making the fork 160 and cross border atm is sketchy at best(sold in the US though). Ripmo af has more travel as any of them and with the dw link climbs as well as any of the other options. For that reason id opt for the dvo coil for the extra $100. The fork is 160 and its free to make it 150 or 170(depending on use). For my local id put it in 170 with no ill effects as the bb is decent height and the seat tube angle is steep. Probably the most modern geo of the bunch. Good cs and great price. They dont recommend them being run as a mullet and it doesnt have a higher bb setting option to make me want to try. If i was taller or had a long leg itd be my clear choice. A bit more than half our trails are rough and steep so im looking at a capra 27 and making it a mullet with a 170 fork

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Evo has a pretty nice deal right now through the end of May. 0% financing for 6mths and free shipping on bikes +$2,500. Plus a free tune and fender!

Yeah, I agree that it's probably a good idea to demo a few bikes. Just not sure how easy that will be right now.

Not sure why you think those bikes are that different - Ripmo = 150/60mm Travel 29er, Commencal = 130/150mm 29er, Devinci Troy = 140/150mm 29er (or 27.5" Depending), YT Jeffsy 140/150mm 29er, Bronson = 150/160mm 27.5 (Hightower would be more in line with these other bikes)

All generally speaking seem to be longer traveled bikes geared towards do-it-all trail to enduro type riding, which generally seems like a good route for me to go - I'd rather have a more capable bike on the down for some penalty on the up. 27.5 vs 29 is still a question though. I would bet whatever I end up buying I'd probably really enjoy. To be honest at this stage, I don't even know if I could get enough time in getting myself up to speed on more challenging trails before trying to demo these bikes to get a really good idea of their differences.

I have seen a couple pretty good deals on used 2016-2017 Yeti SB5Cs and SB6c in the $3k range, which do seem like they have excellent components are handle well - but consensus still bikes like the ones above will perform better?
    Not saying they arent same class at all. What I was trying to allude to is that different manufacturers make different feeling bikes, even if the geo is close to each other, they will ride unique to the brand to some extent. So by listing 5 different brands just because they have the same travel numbers, you aren't necessarily getting very similar bikes because of the geo differences. If you already know what geo numbers you like, it makes shopping easier without riding them, but it isn't a foolproof method.

Odds are you'll like whatever you buy because you really want a bike. Thats my .02 I'll see myself out now.

While demoing would be ideal, any of those bikes will be better up and down than anything you have ridden before. $3000 will definitely get you a solid ride. Keep in mind, direct to consumer brands like YT, Commencal, Canyon, will get you better parts for the money than a comparably priced bike from most other brands (barring a sale on last years bikes), but there is value in getting a bike from a shop, especially if you don't know how to work on the bike (and get it properly set up) yourself.
    That said, there are some sweet deals on Commencals right now, could be worth picking it up (their NA headquarters is in Golden) and forking over a little extra to have a shop get it dialed in (suspension, tubeless, cockpit setup).
    ďI really lack the words to compliment myself today.Ē - Alberto Tomba

I know thereís mixed feelings on Yetis - but found an ex pro racer selling a basically new 2016 SB5C lunch ride thatís fully built out with XX1, Carbon cranks, pike fork, etc. He also has a 2017 SB6C Turq built similarly. Offering me great deal - either a little over $3K. Going to go check them out and do a little demo ride tomorrow.

I know SB5 is more of an all-around er, but from looking at reviews seems like SB6C gives up only a little climbing but gains a good bit going down - and I could probably grow more into it.

Any thoughts on going that route? I kinda figure I can ride them this year as I get into the sport, if I donít love the geometry I can always demo new bikes next season to see what I might like more, and then try and sell the yeti frame only and pick up a new more modern frame next season to swap all the components over for not too much extra net cost

And then you will learn all about ‘new standards’!

I don’t think you would go wrong with either of them.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Yetis are nice. If i had a pocket full of paper id put their new bikes sb130/140/150/165 on my list(are they still called sb?) but theyre waaay beyond my pay grade and id never buy a used one no matter how much use it had. Id consider a used carbon devinci/ibis/pivot and probably some others because i dont hear to many issues. Im wary of dropping $ on any used carbon though and some aluminium. It has to pass all the smell tests. Parts are expendable, i dont focus on those. Priority is fit/geo and durability for use so those mostly come down to the right frame. New or next to new suspension can be bought used on pinkbike for a fraction and rebuilt cheap if needed, wheels too. Cheap slx 12 spd groupo kills most anything by comparison and its not a big deal to replace a rear der if you rip one off. A shitty fitting frame would drive me nuts where a few grams on the drivetain is barely noticeable

Jumping in to the MTB Scene - Qs

I love SI and how Yetis ride. Normally, I'd be leery of a used Yeti, but that’s a pretty decent price....
    ...But I stopped reading at “Ex pro.” I mean it might be in great condition or: pros ride HARD.

Last edited by smartyiak; 05-14-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

I was in the same boat last year, settled on a YT Jeffsy Base 27.5 after demo/renting some comparable Santa Cruz and Transition bikes based mainly on price. I'm a bit shorter than you, and felt that 29ers felt big for my tastes. I'm a newer rider, but have sampled most of the areas in OR and haven't found the bike to be the limiting factor.

I'd say there's something to be said for having a new bike, depending on how into bike maintenance you are. My bike has already taken a beating in one season, unless someone isn't riding their bike very much I'd imagine that it's going to get beat to hell in a few years. Also, I don't know about CO, but the PNW used MTB scene is kinda insane. Seems like lots of people selling bikes that were 3k in 2015 for 2.5k in 2020.

There's definitely something to be said for having a new bike... but if my budget was around $2,500 I'd probably get something used with nicer components. You can absolutely find some decent new bikes in that range (Kona and Giant most likely) but the build isn't going to be nearly as nice. Everyone always focuses on the frame - and when it comes to geometry it certainly matters - but so much of how a bike rides has to do with everything else attached to it. You really can feel the difference of higher end brakes, shocks and drivetrains.

On the other hand, starting out with a decent build and getting used to those components will make you appreciate the higher end stuff later on with more experience, so there's that. There's a pretty good chance that after a couple of seasons you'll be looking for something different than what you buy now, much like figuring out what type of skis best suit your style.

The privateer enduro is insanely good value https://www.pinkbike.com/news/privat...duro-bike.html and they’re coming out with a trail bike too.

I got my bike online from Competitive Cyclist. It was a year prior model Tallboy. Saved about $1500.00. Love the bike. Went from 26 to 29. Took a few rides, but once you adjust, it's awesome. Looks like they have a couple of bikes near your range now.

Bought my SO's bike from Canyon. It's a nice bike and they're a great value. She really likes it.

I really don't think you can go wrong with the new bikes. Like everyone has said, they've come so far, you're going to like whatever you get. I did go ride a couple of different bikes to get a feel for size. I think that's really important. Doesn't matter how great the geo is if it's sized wrong.

Yeah, my understanding was these were backup bikes and only had been used a few times. Iíll try see how Ďnewí they really seem when I visit in person. Iíll also ride them around some mellow trails so hopefully can figure out if they fit me well

Still not ruling out going new if this doesnít work out. Ibis Ripmo AF is at the top of my list. Jefsy too, although seems like most of their stuff is out of stock til later in the year cause of the shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    You really can feel the difference of higher end brakes, shocks and drivetrains.
    True but if you are coming from old entry level the bargain top end will feel great and if you never ride the absolute top end, ignorance can be bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    True but if you are coming from old entry level the bargain top end will feel great and if you never ride the absolute top end, ignorance can be bliss.
    Absolutely! And then when the upgrades happen you really appreciate them. That was my experience.

Well, for better or worse I bought the yeti. Pretty great shape, low mileage, $3.4k all in.

-2017 Yeti SB6C Turq
    -Rock Shox Vivid R2C Coil
    -Rock Shox Lyrik RCT3 Solo Fork
    -SRAM Guide Ultimate Brakes
    -Truvativ T30 Noir Handlebar
    -Rock Shox Reverb Stealth Dropper Post
    -Yeti WTB Saddle
    -SRAM XX1 Eagle Crankset/Groupset
    -Magic Crossmax XL Pro Ltd Wheelset
    -WTB Vigilante 2.3 Tubeless Tires

Pretty stoked to say the least. Did a mini demo, so much better than my old bike (obviously). Frame fit seems good though. Gonna take it out as soon as I can get some pedals haha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5549.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	328584

Love that blue!! Whatís weight on that bad boi roughly?

Scale says 29lbs on the dot. Medium frame

Anyone have pedal suggestions? Haha

Scale says 29lbs on the dot. Medium frame

Anyone have pedal suggestions? Haha
    Spank oozys ftw

Purchased these as they were the fastest to ship to my house, so far so good! Paired with a bike shoe itís like being clipped in!

MZYRH Mountain Bike Pedals, Ultra Strong Colorful CNC Machined 9/16" Cycling Sealed 3 Bearing Pedals https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNLNYHC..._L2GVEbTXAPHYX

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Spank oozys ftw
    Troof

Picked the right one between the 2 and if its in as good of shape as it looks should be fun af. Thing is dialed. Coil rear shock and 29lbs is great.
    Pedals id put in a vote for canfield crampons. My fave so far by a mile