Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    If you’re looking for a lifetime, handmade in America, good looking, heritage boot that you can order custom and have rebuilt, White’s out of Spokane. I’ve had the Smokejumpers for work and now I have the Hathorn Travelers. If I’m wearing something where they need to not be slip ons (other than athletic shoes), I wear these.

RW and others are good from my understanding. I grew up close to Spokane. I have spent plenty of money at STP. But, for a lifetime boot that doesn’t give a fuck and will last longer than me and look good doing it, I wasn’t going to use a coupon code at a TJ Maxx store.

I bought mine before Whites sold out but my understanding is they kept their crew in Washington and still make the boots like they always have.

https://bakershoe.com/products/custo...y-whites-boots

https://whitesboots.com/town/main-street/

nick’s in spokane is also legit

Everytime I have been down this road I have reminded myself that I spent a decade and a half wearing whites and there is no way I want to wear a heel around anymore.

I went from daily driver whites wearer to whatever wide toe box minimal drop shoe I can find.

I realize this is a certain style choice, but wearing that style of boot just screws with my joints and back unless it is in terrain they are built for.

(Still have my smokejumpers in the closet, still comfy.)

The toned down version I have is the same fore foot and Instep with a small heel that’s maybe just a little more than a dress shoe. Basically the shank of of a SJ but much shorter heel and upper. If I don’t need laces or to walk a ton, I’m usually in Blundstones or Birkenstocks.

You guys are all posting done serious boots but I’ve always been a fan of blundstones for lighter duty boots. Use on my moto or around town. Super comfy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You definitely wouldn't throw the Wolverine 1000 miles (or similar) out if they needed soles, you'd get them resoled. If you like the style then they're an "end of life" purchase, you won't need a next pair. They're actually pretty inexpensive per year when you use them that way
    This is my exact reasoning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

In their natural element...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200512_094458-01.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	328244
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I've got two pairs of boots along these lines. Both are about 6 years old, and on their second set of soles. One pair of Oak Street Bootmakers and one Red Wing Heritage.

Overall -- worth the investment. Conform well to the feet. Last a long time. Feel good wearing solid boots.

None of the boots you're considering here though are suitable with suits or even dress slacks. The lasts are just too bulky to look right once you get to anything more formal than some wide-wale cords. They look right with jeans and informal chinos. They are work boots after all.

If you want something for wearing in a biz casual and up environment, buy a pair of nice boots. Here's an example from AE: http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=100 .

If you want something to wear in a more informal, workwear setting, and use as a work boot (not steel toe) -- get a set of Red Wings / Wolverines / Chippewas / etc. Personally on these boots -- I really like how chromoexcel leathers age on this type of boot.

You guys should get some knickers to go with your boots. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51cgRY9LbbL._UL1500_.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	328245
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I've got two pairs of boots along these lines. Both are about 6 years old, and on their second set of soles. One pair of Oak Street Bootmakers and one Red Wing Heritage.

Overall -- worth the investment. Conform well to the feet. Last a long time. Feel good wearing solid boots.

None of the boots you're considering here though are suitable with suits or even dress slacks. The lasts are just too bulky to look right once you get to anything more formal than some wide-wale cords. They look right with jeans and informal chinos. They are work boots after all.

If you want something for wearing in a biz casual and up environment, buy a pair of nice boots. Here's an example from AE: http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInv...DIM=D&SIZE=100 .

If you want something to wear in a more informal, workwear setting, and use as a work boot (not steel toe) -- get a set of Red Wings / Wolverines / Chippewas / etc. Personally on these boots -- I really like how chromoexcel leathers age on this type of boot.
    would love to know why you think anything on this page wouldnt go with a suit. I know you're thinking they are only workboots, but wolverine and red wing have expanded their line greatly.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/mens...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    would love to know why you think anything on this page wouldnt go with a suit. I know you're thinking they are only workboots, but wolverine and red wing have expanded their line greatly.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/mens...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Mayyyybe the chelseas. But I've seen the 1000mile last a lot and it is simply too bulbous to look good with the cut of most suits. Maybe if you were wearing a heavy-tweed type dealio. Likewise, I've seen a lot of Red Wing lasts and none of them has a silhouette that looks good with a suit.

If you want lots of versatility -- I'd say something like the Alden Indy. It can be dressed down easily and looks okay with a not too formal suit.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Mayyyybe the chelseas. But I've seen the 1000mile last a lot and it is simply too bulbous to look good with the cut of most suits. Maybe if you were wearing a heavy-tweed type dealio. Likewise, I've seen a lot of Red Wing lasts and none of them has a silhouette that looks good with a suit.

If you want lots of versatility -- I'd say something like the Alden Indy. It can be dressed down easily and looks okay with a not too formal suit.
    They would very rarely be worn with a suit. Likely more casual "IT" use. Button down, khakis, jeans, etc. I have shoes for the suit but would be nice to get away with 1 pair of nicer boots. I get they will look "clunky". I'm far from GQ.

IT and one shoe to do it all? Why didn't you say so. A black, square, bicycle-toe is what you want.

These are my boots I was talking about. 6-7 years old, semi-annual boot grease, wear 3-4 days per week. I wouldn't wear them with a suit as I try not to wear suits more than once every couple years when people die. I do throw on a more casual sport coat 3-4 times per year and the boots get by. For work days I don't wear these, Blundstones or Luccheses.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    These are my boots I was talking about. 6-7 years old, semi-annual boot grease, wear 3-4 days per week. I wouldn't wear them with a suit as I try not to wear suits more than once every couple years when people die. I do throw on a more casual sport coat 3-4 times per year and the boots get by. For work days I don't wear these, Blundstones or Luccheses.
    yeah those are 100% workboots for sure. I would not wear with a suit or to the office at all likely.

So now IT guys are clomping around the data center in factory-distressed 10" log rollers? lol

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    So now IT guys are clomping around the data center in factory-distressed 10" log rollers? lol
    Pretty much sums it up. This thread is moronic.

I also wear them to construction sites and manufacturing floors. Nice to buy a lifetime pair of shoes I can wear to the office and everywhere else that I don't worry about getting scuffed.. I do keep a pair of cheap steel toed boots in the pickup in case I get get called out for PPE. I've never liked the look or utility of "dress" shoes even in the business world. The professional office I work in is a mix of cowboy boots or like what I pictured. I begrudgingly keep one pair in the back of the closet next to a couple suits that never get worn.

But yeah, not sure why the OP is looking at 1000 miles or others if he doesn't want "work" boots.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Naaa I'm a "technical account manager" now so much more direct client interaction when things go back to "normal"

I also wear them to construction sites and manufacturing floors. Nice to buy a lifetime pair of shoes I can wear to the office and everywhere else that I don't worry about getting scuffed.. I do keep a pair of cheap steel toed boots in the pickup in case I get get called out for PPE. I've never liked the look or utility of "dress" shoes even in the business world. The professional office I work in is a mix of cowboy boots or like what I pictured. I begrudgingly keep one pair in the back of the closet next to a couple suits that never get worn.

But yeah, not sure why the OP is looking at 1000 miles or others if he doesn't want "work" boots.
    Did you look at the link? 1000 mile has many styles. You wearing any of those in my link to "chop wood" or "around the job site". They aren't all "work boots" anymore.

I just prefer the boot look and want something I can resole later.

Love to see you in these around the job site in these. You'd be the talk of the water cooler.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/orig...0-mile&start=1

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Pretty much sums it up. This thread is moronic.
    Paying very little attention and then commenting as if the sole authority. Pretty much sums up glademaster.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Paying very little attention and then commenting as if the sole authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Did you look at the link? 1000 mile has many styles. You wearing any of those in my link to "chop wood" or "around the job site". They aren't all "work boots" anymore.

I just prefer the boot look and want something I can resole later.

I did-that's why I put "work" in parenthesis. Whites and Wolverines and many others made their name in blue collar work boots. Now they're taking style dollars too.

In my second link above, you'll see plenty of style options you wouldn't chop wood in. Unless you're you're a model selling overpriced flannels. Good company, lots of handmade styles. Only reason I posted a pic of mine was to show that Whites, and I'm assuming 1000 miles, can be worn a ton and still look good after a lot of years. The style you choose is up to you. My style is a little less coffee shop and a little more 2-stroke oil. To each their own. Here's a White you might be interested in based on what you've said. Not poking fun with that statement.

I did-that's why I put "work" in parenthesis. Whites and Wolverines and many others made their name in blue collar work boots. Now they're taking style dollars too.

In my second link above, you'll see plenty of style options you wouldn't chop wood in. Unless you're you're a model selling overpriced flannels. Good company, lots of handmade styles. Only reason I posted a pic of mine was to show that Whites, and I'm assuming 1000 miles, can be worn a ton and still look good after a lot of years. The style you choose is up to you. My style is a little less coffee shop and a little more 2-stroke oil. To each their own. Here's a White you might be interested in based on what you've said. Not poking fun with that statement.

Yeah. I was more looking for info on durability, comfort, etc. I think I got that so much thanks.

And yeah for sure the og 1000 and rw heritage series started at true work boots, but I'm sure the craftsmanship is the same. Longevity is the large factor for sure. I'm cheap.

Again thanks all for the input.