Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Expensive (to me) leather boots. Like wolverine 1000 mile

Anyone have experience with the red wing heritage collection, or wolverine 1000 mile? I guess $200-300 for something likely to last the rest of my life isnt bad.

What say the collective? I know o know loafers....not my gig.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I have some Iron Rangers as well as Blacksmiths. They fit the same. Blacksmiths can be dressed up a bit more.
    Size down one whole size from normal dress shoes or sneakers.
    Check nordstromrack and sierra for sales.

What are you going to use them for?

I think Thorogood boots are better than the Redwings I’ve seen lately. Made in the USA and less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've picked up a few pairs of red wing heritage and wolverine 1000m from Sierra. They both run like 1/2 to 1 size large as compared to my brooks running shoes. I love the 1000m boots cuz the last fits my foot really well and the horween leather is glorious. The red wings are great too. Sturdy and well made but I find that they just don't fit my foot quite as comfortably right out of the box.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    What are you going to use them for?

I think Thorogood boots are better than the Redwings I’ve seen lately. Made in the USA and less expensive.

Casual work environment that might be dressed up in a suit from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I've picked up a few pairs of red wing heritage and wolverine 1000m from Sierra. They both run like 1/2 to 1 size large as compared to my brooks running shoes. I love the 1000m boots cuz the last fits my foot really well and the horween leather is glorious. The red wings are great too. Sturdy and well made but I find that they just don't fit my foot quite as comfortably right out of the box.
    I've read break-in can be a bear, but once done they are like slippers. Also read the size down.

Thanks so far. Keep em coming.

Thorogood has a “heritage” line as well, really nice. My 6” moc toe work boots might be my favorite boots ever. A little tough on the break in but like slippers now.

Have owned Red Wing Iron Rangers. Made in the USA, quality leather, but you’ll maybe get a single resole out of them. The interior lining shits out, midsole dies. Not sure if that is unique to RW, or a problem with similar boots in category

edit: they aren’t the greatest if you spend the day on your feet. I paid $100-120 for them, they were well worth that. But I don’t know about spending $300
    Last edited by dunfree ; 05-10-2020 at 07:19 PM.

I have a couple of pairs of redwing heritage, got both off of STP sales coupled with codes, less than half of retail both times. I run one half size smaller than tennis shoes.

I’ve heard some people get their normal size so that they can add insoles. I think that would help as they don’t have much arch support or padding. That being said, I’ve been able to walk all day in mine without too much trouble.

I just don't think you get much for your 2 or 300 with the old school builds like the heritage, from most of the brands.

Not waterproof, not insulated, etc. etc.

Have narrow hard to fit feet, so most of what i can get is the old school stuff. So i gave it more than fair chance.

Yes leather breaths, but when it a 107 outside with the sun blasting that old school leather, you might as well put feet in an oven.

Goretex, thinsulate, cushioned soles are being used now for a reason.

I mostly wear Ariat slip ons, or Lowa hiking boots. Winter the Klim snowmo boots see duty.

My 2 cents is spend the 150 to 200 for more modern build, and throw them away when the soles are shot.

I have a pair of the Woverine 1000 mile that I use basically as an in-town/kinda-dressy shoe and they're good-looking and nice enough for that. Had them for years and they're good as new (except the leather has softened) but they see pretty light use. While they'd probably stand up to fairly hard use, they're not optimal for that imo, particularly because of the soles. More than $300 though. Made in the USA, so there's that.

I have a pair of Alico Tahoes that I find quite comfortable and you can get them for around $125 on Sierra with a coupon. Made in Italy. Not quite as classy looking as some you've mentioned but I think they look really good for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    I just don't think you get much for your 2 or 300 with the old school builds like the heritage, from most of the brands.

Not waterproof, not insulated, etc. etc.

Have narrow hard to fit feet, so most of what i can get is the old school stuff. So i gave it more than fair chance.

Yes leather breaths, but when it a 107 outside with the sun blasting that old school leather, you might as well put feet in an oven.

Goretex, thinsulate, cushioned soles are being used now for a reason.

I mostly wear Ariat slip ons, or Lowa hiking boots. Winter the Klim snowmo boots see duty.

My 2 cents is spend the 150 to 200 for more modern build, and throw them away when the soles are shot.
    Yeah, they aren’t hikers or hunting boots, that’s not the intent.

You definitely wouldn't throw the Wolverine 1000 miles (or similar) out if they needed soles, you'd get them resoled. If you like the style then they're an "end of life" purchase, you won't need a next pair. They're actually pretty inexpensive per year when you use them that way

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Yeah, they aren’t hikers or hunting boots, that’s not the intent.

But they look like shit, so might as well wear something functional.

Boots don't all look like shit my man.

Larry, where are you on this?

He'd say go Italian but if you're gonna go American get the Aldens, I bet.

I don’t think welted boots look like shit and they’re very functional. They can be a pain to break in but once broken in no molded shoe or boot will be as comfortable. I don’t really think they’re too hot either. I wore a Danner made desert boot during Desert Storm when it was 110-120F and it didn’t bother me.

Red wing <-----> Wolverine

Name:  20200510_150632-01.jpeg
Views: 1283
Size:  44.4 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

The black ones are funky.

^office bowling league.

They're hot!

"STYLE NO. 8825: 1920s Outing Boot

8825 "1920s Outing Boot" is a reproduction of one of Red Wing's early 20th-century leather boot called "Outing Boot". It was created to be lighter, flexible and sporty. 8825 ”1920s Outing Boot" features the new Black "Prairie" leather, without toe box and Goodyear Welt construction . Built on Gro Cord King-B soles , these soles have deeper lugs designed to give good traction mainly for outdoor sports such baseball, football, golf or hiking for leisure."

The uppers kind of look like old boxing shoes from above at least.

i had to distance myself from the leather boot game, but check out r/goodyearwelt for some ideas. i’m not a fan of the soles on the 1000 mile as it’s wet where i am so have been in redwings, chippewa (bit lower quality but can be found stupid cheap), and rancourt (they do side work for a few brands) for the last few years. i run in a size 12 but tend to go 10.5 for boots of this flavor.

edit4 quiver pick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E3EA4645-0EF1-45CA-B1A9-1FC0747CB96F.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	328104