Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Approach Shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Elite Hockey Socks or Fox River sock liners are even thinner than the whisper pro, they’re cheaper too
    Not sure I’d really need any thinner! Can often find them being cleared out too. And they last a few hundred ski days.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    . . . Fox River sock liners are even thinner. . . .
    my go-to mountain boot liner sox, but they are too short for my ski touring boots

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    At the end of the day, a GTX+non-GTX pair of the same shoe seems to be a good solution. It's worked great for my wife, and is the same cost to the consumer in the long run.
    This assumes the GTX membrane does not fail within a few months after purchase, an assumption contrary to my experience and that of many others.

You can add me to the non GTX camp.
    I think that there are probably benefits to GTX in some circumstances, but I think for most circumstances you are better off without.

In simple terms, GTX is only breathable when it is dry because it will only let water through as a gas, not as a liquid (when liquid is simply blocks the pores in the membrane). So, while it may do a good job of keeping water out, it unfortunately keeps your sweat in when wet. If you sweat at all from your feet this is going to give you wet feet and they won't dry quickly because the shoe has to dry out completely (so that the membrane surface is dry) before the shoe will start to breath again. But it doesn't stop there - if your sweat has wetted the backside of the membrane then you have basically stopped any chance of breathability as your sweat can only escape by wicking up your sock to where is can evaporate around your ankle.

A non GTX shoe (combined with good socks) can wick liquid water away from your skin and start to breath much faster.

Bottom line: the wetter it is and the harder you are working (more you are sweating) the less appropriate GTX is, but the irony is then that GTX is only at it's best in the dry! To put it another way, Goretex may stop you getting wet as quickly if you step in a puddle, but if you are excercising at all then over the course of a day your feet will probably be wetter because it can't breathe when it's wet!

I have found similar for clothing as well - for standing around GTX is fine, but for higher output excercise I am far more comfortable (drier or drier quicker) with a water resistant/ windproof layer that sheds the worst of the rain and then wicking layers to remove the sweat. I'll wear GTX for mellow days at the resort but if touring I'll wear some pertex/pile combo shirt or paramo style clothing so that I don't have to keep taking layers on / off all the time.

I got some TX4’s, so far I’m really impressed- perfect width, stiffness, build quality etc. it’s pretty awesome to look down and see a shoe that’s the same shape as my foot. Finally.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Another vote for TX4s. Bought them a couple weeks ago based on this thread for use as i had been using some beat to shit trail runners for most things and they had gotten holey. My other option was some redwing construction boots that i have used backpacking and for trailwork, but are far from ideal.

I have used the TX4 Mid goretex for some trail work on a steep muddy hillside, and also for a 4mile RT approach before putting skis on. They arent the best for the steep clay mud hillside, but faired about as well as could be expected. Havent found anything that works well in sticky peanut butter mud. But they were a delight on the approach to the ski day. Sneaker comfortable and light, but thicker soles to cushion the sharp rock edges i was stepping on. Good traction in all types of spring snow. Decent toe/lower foot protection wrap and good ankle support, or more than i am typically used to which was nice for the down so i cold kindof step surf down loose rock and soft dirt confidently. If given a choice i would pick a shoe that is light and feels "athletic" every damn time over a beefier heavy boot.

I have fairly wide feet and a super high instep and these fit great. Only possible issue i see is that the nubuck leather outer is great for protection from rocks and forms to my foot great, but it does soak up water and dew which makes them marginally heavier. They have a goretex liner, and i dont really understand what people are talking about when they say their feet get hot (its hiking, of course your damn feet will sweat, teeny tiny issue, get over it snowflake) so i think im gonna throw some nubuck water treatment on the outside.

Very happy with the fit and function of these so far. An ideal balance of light, athletic feeling shoe that also feels protective and fairly supportive.