Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Life in your Hood

Here at Casa Bunion I am still a little bit rural. There is a lot of open space to the east and plenty of wildlife. The neighborhood itself also has a lot of animals including the usual chickens etc. One neighbor has a gig raising layers as well as some goats and 3 dwarf cattle, kind of hairy with longhorns. Sort of cute.

And then there are the ducks. There is a creek (small) that runs through the hood and it attracts waterfowl. Another neighbor lady has taken to feeding the ducks and there are a lot of them now and they are a PITA. Mostly Mallards, they hang out in the yard and shit all over the place. My cat runs them off from my lot so I don't mind them too much.

Next door neighbor has several bird feeders and we see all kinds of songbirds that frequent the feeders. So do the ducks. Lately, 1 threesome has been eating all the feed and trashing the grass around the feeder and neighbor has made several comments that he has tried everything except the shotgun to get them to leave.

Today he was mowing his lawn (he likes to mow the lawn) and took down the wire around the feeder that is meant to keep the ducks away. I looked out the window to see the ducks chowing down and noticed that his wife and son are not home and that he has shut down the mower. Then he walks out on the back porch and frontier justice style he blasts both ducks. There were no survivors.

I love my neighborhood.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

whats for dinner?

It was most assuredly Duck season.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Rabbit season!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I cut down a neighbor’s tree and they gave me some frozen ground elk and elk sausages.

Winning

My ‘hood is a subdivision on an urban wildland boundary. One side is USFS, another is a 300 acre working ranch that borders wilderness.

Deer come up on the front porch to peer in the window. They will stand on hind legs to eat flowers in hanging baskets. One stomped down a Rottweiler out for a walk with its human.

Coyotes lope thru on their way to/from the ranch and elk calving grounds beyond that. Some great sings the last few nights with the full moon

The neighborhood FB page has a steady supply of “Have you seen Fluffy?” Notices. I imagine the coyote dens have cat collars hanging above their mantles...

I try to keep a low profile around some of my neighbors and give them some space, but they can act like they own the place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bandit Bear.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	712.0 KB 
ID:	328070Name:  Black Bears.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  310.8 KBName:  Bruce Munching.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  128.4 KB

^^Why those filthy animals.

My neighbors spent about 10 years working on their place to make it a horse property. Built a huge barn, stables, riding ring, fencing, the works--and they did it all themselves. Then they split up. The guy moved out, the mom left with their daughter to Arizona, and now my daughter has been taking care of their last remaining horse for almost two months.

The past two months, I have been staying in my hood like a clitoris.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Wabbit season!
    Fixed

Couple of streets over from me. Tow truck / police pursuit and brutal take down. More video in the comments.

https://twitter.com/ACollinsPhoto/st...66322868588545

It's not a tow truck though. Was he a repo man or something?

Some days I have deer and coyotes in the back yard, this week it was a body found by a jogger. 200ft out my window just over the property line laying min plain view.

Narcan revived the body apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    It's not a tow truck though. Was he a repo man or something?
    K it's a truck operated by a towing company, maybe battery calls or something. One of the videos shows it has Supreme Towing branding along the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Some days I have deer and coyotes in the back yard, this week it was a body found by a jogger. 200ft out my window just over the property line laying min plain view.

Narcan revived the body apparently.
    Oh. You've got me beat, last body (in a snow bank no less) was about 600 - 700 feet from here.

We don't get a lot of bodies in my hood. We have an ongoing turf war between the crows and the sea gulls, though. It's kind of like the situation in Kashmir, lots of squabbles and noise but no lasting gains by either side.

A couple days ago we did have the freaky bunny. I'm in the house and I hear one of our dogs yipping over and over so finally I go out there and about 50 yards away, just over the invisible fence line, is this rabbit just sitting there completely immobile. He was so still that after a couple minutes I started not to trust my eyes. Was it a stuffed animal? Maybe a rock that just looks like a rabbit?

Clearly it's freaking the dog out a little, he's yipping and growling at it. So I go put some shoes on and go over there. It's a bunny but it's like he's dead or something, he's not moving a muscle as I approach. I'm maybe 15 feet away and I'm like, "Get out of here, you freaky bunny!!!", I mean I'm basically yelling at a bunny at this point, but he's not impressed, he just keeps sitting there like a statue.

I take a couple more, admittedly somewhat tentative, steps toward it. Thoughts of the Cave of Caerbannog crossed my mind...

....but when I was like 5 feet away he just turned and hopped away.

THE END

We have some of that same species here as well. I think that they think that as long as they remain still they are invisible.

Occasionally Marbles, AKA: the Cat that lives in my Garage will bring one to the door and leave it on the stoop, they are alive but mentally traumatized.

I gotta say, I expected a ittle more reaction out of the freaky bunny story. Not even a "where's your maul??"? pfft. wtf.

My 15 yo ran over a bunny nest in the tall grass last spring. It was gruesome but there were a few physically unharmed survivors. We had to keep the dog and cat inside for a while.

We've got moose, deer, elk, bunnies, hawks, partridge, grouse and really cool owls. Only thing I dispatch are the coyotes because they try to fuck with my dogs. It's now a 6 year old war with those little fuckers.

Weird part about all of this is that I have a rifle range in the backyard that sees decent use later summer and as hunting season nears and none of the aforementioned critters could give a fuck.

We have no people immediately nearby. Probably the rifle range.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B61D0F46-A29E-4484-B6F2-49DD68015188.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	365333
    Taken from my kitchen window. We are full of elk, coyote, jack rabbits, deer. During the summer, the above view would be occupied by 20 cows. Also, we have resident sand hill cranes and red tailed hawks.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

A month or so back there were bunch of bald eagles snacking on a deer 50 yards off a little-bit-rural side road I often take. Carcass was there for a while, I think 7 eagles was the max I saw at one time.
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

the deer are nearing closer to my back porch by the day. the dogs still lose their fucking minds every time they see them.

there were some dead hookers a few miles down the road some years back too.
    swing your fucking sword.

I remember pullin into the hood from a day at Wolf 2009 and seein a deer for the first time, whippin out the Iphone (well digital camera). 11 years later, they's like deer gangs , wearin chains and shit. Walkin down the middle of the street "yeah fuck you. let's see how tough you are without the car" haven't seen a hosta in at least 5 years. Seriously have to spray the flowers weekly or they're et.

Fuckin things are like rats here.
    "Can't you see..."