Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Lots of good advice in this thread, I will join the group suggesting a car seat system with multiple bases and compatible stroller. We used the Chicco KeyFit 30 car seat and have a base for each car. There is also a Chicco 4-wheel stroller caddy that the car seat drops right into. Probably the most useful feature to look for IMO is the ability to swap the baby from the car seat base to the stroller, and vice versa, without unstrapping the baby from the actual car seat. (Think hands full, pouring rain in a store parking lot with screaming, kicking baby or just trying to make sure the baby stays asleep during the transfer)

We had children enough years apart that the old car seats and bases "expired", whatever that means, but we liked the Chicco so much that we bought the same thing a second time. Both times I went the Amazon Warehouse route for Open Box / Like New or Very Good --- never had an issue.

Also have a 3-wheel jogger that is not part of the Chicco system for longer adventures when we're not quickly swapping between car and stroller, and general outdoor use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    We went the Uppababy route. Expensive for sure, but we've been very happy with it. The ease of collapsing the stroller and ability to put the carseat into the stroller are pretty great. The wheels on the stroller are great too, I've hauled a bunch of groceries in the bottom and it rolls fine. We have a base in each car to make it easy to swap.

Also, customer service is top notch...we had a minor issue with the tightening strap on the carseat and had a brand new carseat delivered 2 days later.
    Same here. We’ve got 8mo old twins and the Uppababy stroller and setup has been amazing. Worth the money for years of use and versatility.

We went with Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant car seats. We have two sets of car seat bases in our cars so it’s no hassle taking the boys. It fits the stroller with adapters. We used a Grace seat and while noticeably lighter, it felt a bit chintzy.

We use Honest Company diapers on delivery (best price for the quality) and 20 cloth diapers we wash here at home. And Holle or Hipp organic euro formula on order from Germany. Momma has high standards

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Another vote for the uppababy system. Going from car to stroller when your baby is sleeping and you don't have to take them out of their seat is a huge plus, and the quality of the thing, as others have said, is top notch. The grandparents got a cheaper carseat and stroller for use at their house, and the difference in quality is much higher than the difference in price would suggest. Plus, the uppababy stroller can carry a case of beer, too.

Car seats for kids

Massive thread drift, but: Toyota Sienna AWD (used).

I know you didn’t ask, but eventually you will.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post

Haha this came up for us the other day....so practical but so ugly!

Chicco Keyfit, also they have a stroller frame (MRR11's post) which is awesome...relatively cheap, light, durable and collapsible. The Keyfit carseat just clicks right in. They also make a canvas bassinet that again is inexpensive and stable. Everything Chicco we've bought has been money well spent.

He's not wrong.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Uppababy user here with not much complaints. Some of my likes/dislikes below:
    - Car seat fabric is removable for easy washing (which someone else here said, is inevitable)
    - Seat base is pretty easy to remove and install once you figure it out. Still went and bought an extra seat base for the grandparents as they are driving our baby around themselves frequently enough.
    - Flew with the seat and base a few times (check with airlines, but was always free for us to check wo counting towards checked bag count) and tho it's large and heavy af together, there's a carrier backpack amazon that worked out about as well as I could've imagined. Plus you can pack a bunch of baby shit in there as well. PS, if you every fly with your baby and need a rental, unless you know for certain what you're getting, don't ever go with the rental company's car seats. We did that once and they were absolute trash.
    - Stroller quality feels burly and well built. Also like the space below to double as a grocery cart.

Some dislikes:
    - Feel like they could've made opening a collapsed stroller less cumbersome.
    - Once stroller's open, it's a PITA to get the attachment points of the stroller & seat to line up if you're not on a flat even surface.

Edit: Most importantly, congrats.

My wife wants one soooo bad. I told her she has to earn it with more than 3 kids....

We went with whatever the super light Nuna seat is. We’ve been really happy with it. We are expecting another late fall so hopefully we will have our first in a forward facing seat by then.

Rear facing seats eat up a ton of room for the seat in front if you have long legs.

Until you get a flat tire. There ain’t no spare.
    And run flats are $250. And if your in the boondocks, it may take a few days to get one.

FWD is good enough for most.

But yeah, it’s a fugly but awesome vehicle. Even with no kids.
    . . .

yeah I'm not going minivan... we're in our mid 30s this may well be the only kid. if I can't strap the carseat in the back of a tacoma, well, that's what the dog crate is for...

This thread is relevant to me (twins, due August-ish). Thanks for the good advice everyone.

Related question: any brands of car seats / strollers that we should avoid? Anyone had horrendous luck with any brands in particular?

Avoid strollers at all costs, except jogging strollers that live at home. Bringing a stroller anywhere sucks.

For walking and hiking, wear baby in a Tula or similar. You can keep better track of their needs... warmth, hunger, pressure points, diaper status. Mom can nurse on the move.

There are zip-in softshell panels for jackets which accommodate the extra circumference of worn baby. Zipper adapters for common sizes, etc.

Lastly, baby will get programmed to the rhythm of walking. Some might downplay this but I think it's super important to hook em young.

I fucking hate strollers.

Edit: twins is another level and I don't know how to deal with that. Good luck toast.

Oh yeah, congrats mall walker!

we were anti-stroller in spirit, but did find an umbrella stroller to be quite useful during a particular phase of babyhood

the behemoths are appaling

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    we were anti-stroller in spirit, but did find an umbrella stroller to be quite useful during a particular phase of babyhood

the behemoths are appaling
    Same, we had a BOB for walking around the neighborhood but NFW am I using a stroller everywhere we went.

The cool thing about the stroller is you can bring everything you might need with you. The awful thing about the stroller is you can bring everything you might need with you.

And no doubt, at a certain age, an umbrella stroller is indispensable.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah I'm not going minivan... we're in our mid 30s this may well be the only kid. if I can't strap the carseat in the back of a tacoma, well, that's what the dog crate is for...
    Amen. When we needed a third row, everyone said minivan - made perfect sense. Said #$#@ it and got a Sequoia instead. Can't fit it in half the garages in the city and actually has less storage than the Sienna, but when you're driving up to the mountains with that 5.7L V8, well worth it. Sure the minivan is the most logical, but so are skis shorter than 190cm and few on this forum admit using those. Fight it!!!
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    Amen. When we needed a third row, everyone said minivan - made perfect sense. Said #$#@ it and got a Sequoia instead. Can't fit it in half the garages in the city and actually has less storage than the Sienna, but when you're driving up to the mountains with that 5.7L V8, well worth it. Sure the minivan is the most logical, but so are skis shorter than 190cm and few on this forum admit using those. Fight it!!!
    I'll defer to Danno (I think he has a Sequoia) but as the ex has one and damn near every soccer mom in Bozeman has one as well the Sienna is way less cool.

I do have a Sequoia. Third row removed the day I bought it (only have 1 kid). Perfect balance between kid hauler, utilitarian (can fit a sheet of plywood inside), and road trip warrior (numerous White Rim trips).

But the gas mileage is obscenely abysmal.
    Last edited by Danno; 05-12-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Car seats for kids

For something that drives like a wounded buffalo, a minivan is pretty seductive once you sit in it.

We were looking at the new Highlander and it was parked next to the used Sienna. Sigh. FTR, I wanted the Highlander.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

Lastly, baby will get programmed to the rhythm of walking. Some might downplay this but I think it's super important to hook em young.
    Totally agree with this. Our kiddo absolutely loves exploring outside with us in her pack. Maybe it's because my wife kept running all the way until the delivery (and went touring 2 days before!!), but I think it was key that we had her in a front carrier early on and then put down some serious hiking miles with her in the backpack. She became very used to the motion and frequently naps in the carrier and is just a happy baby in there.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    This thread is relevant to me (twins, due August-ish). Thanks for the good advice everyone.
    Congrats! Twins are awesome and a trip: I am one and we have them.

A good stroller is key, as that’s the only way one of you can go anywhere with the two of them. As others have said, strollers are a lot to manage, but when it’s your inherent reality, its not that bad. We have baby Bjorn chest packs that we carry them around in when there’s the two of us, but with bearing the 20lb mark, the front pack setup is a chore for my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Totally agree with this. Our kiddo absolutely loves exploring outside with us in her pack. Maybe it's because my wife kept running all the way until the delivery (and went touring 2 days before!!), but I think it was key that we had her in a front carrier early on and then put down some serious hiking miles with her in the backpack. She became very used to the motion and frequently naps in the carrier and is just a happy baby in there.
    yeah my wife is a seriously addicted runner, she's on the treadmill now. I can't imagine she'll stop until it's physically impossible / the dr tells her to. we already have a front-carrier thing, and she will be earning turns on the backpack as soon as that's reasonable too...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah my wife is a seriously addicted runner, she's on the treadmill now. I can't imagine she'll stop until it's physically impossible / the dr tells her to. we already have a front-carrier thing, and she will be earning turns on the backpack as soon as that's reasonable too...
    Congrats, man. I gave up on touring with the backpack after one or two attempts. Kiddo got too cold back there.

It wasn't long before we rigged this setup, though. Kiddo is 3 in the picture.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk