Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,223

    Car seats for kids

    Got a kid on the way and need a car seat, figured I'd ask the collective what I should be looking for. Ideally I'd love something that had multiple car-attachment base units (if this is a thing), so I could swap the same kid-holding-bucket between 2 cars with minimal hassle, take the bucket piece out to bring into the supermarket/pub/whorehouse/whatever, and so on. Extra bonus points if it can attach to some other stuff, like a swing/stand thing you can use while your hands are busy at home. But I really don't know anything about this stuff. Got a line of relatives waiting to buy us this kinda shit, so price is not the main concern.

    What do I want here?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,221
    You'll want to seats.

    One they can be carried around in and then a convertible that goes rear facing to forward facing.

    For the convertible one we had Britax for both and liked them.

    Cheap car seats are a pain in the ass for the most part, spend the extra money.

    I'm not sure most of your wishes actually exist.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    10,611
    When they’re little, get the removable bucket.
    Some buckets also clip into strollers, but that’s more of a city thing.

    Don’t bother with the forward rear facing dilemma until they’re older. Also the same reason not to buy used. They go out of safety faster than the indemnified bindings list.

    If you get one free from a buddy, just check the list.

    Congrats mag.
    It’s the best and the most annoying thing you will ever do.
    ďLife has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.Ē
    Hunter S. Thompson

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SoOre
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    You'll want to seats.

    One they can be carried around in and then a convertible that goes rear facing to forward facing.

    For the convertible one we had Britax for both and liked them.

    Cheap car seats are a pain in the ass for the most part, spend the extra money.

    I'm not sure most of your wishes actually exist.
    Second the Britax. It was perfect for both of our kids. However, once they were able to sit in a fwd facing one we bought them new seats.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,912
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Got a kid on the way and need a car seat, figured I'd ask the collective what I should be looking for. Ideally I'd love something that had multiple car-attachment base units (if this is a thing), so I could swap the same kid-holding-bucket between 2 cars with minimal hassle, take the bucket piece out to bring into the supermarket/pub/whorehouse/whatever, and so on. Extra bonus points if it can attach to some other stuff, like a swing/stand thing you can use while your hands are busy at home. But I really don't know anything about this stuff. Got a line of relatives waiting to buy us this kinda shit, so price is not the main concern.

    What do I want here?
    I had the Britax removable bucket seat. It clipped into the adapter in our BOB jogging stroller, so that was a plus. We liked the Britax car seat and had a base in each car. I definitely used it in the jogging stroller fairly often once the kids were big enough not to jiggle all over the place in an alarming way.

    We made the mistake of leaving our first strapped into the bucket a bit too much while she slept and it contributed to a flat spot on her head. It wasn't too bad, so we didn't get a head-reshaping helmet. But watch out for the flat head from the car seat bucket.

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I had the Britax removable bucket seat. It clipped into the adapter in our BOB jogging stroller, so that was a plus. We liked the Britax car seat and had a base in each car. I definitely used it in the jogging stroller fairly often once the kids were big enough not to jiggle all over the place in an alarming way.

    We made the mistake of leaving our first strapped into the bucket a bit too much while she slept and it contributed to a flat spot on her head. It wasn't too bad, so we didn't get a head-reshaping helmet. But watch out for the flat head from the car seat bucket.
    Yeah... having multiple bases and clipping into a stroller sound like awesome features that I definitely want. I didn't know about this "leave it too long head deformation" though, guess I have a whole new world of exciting things to discover

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Agrestic
    Posts
    5,041
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Baby-Tech-Talk

    Here you go for future reference. Also, whatever Costco sells is usually fine and get the install checked at the FD (is that still a thing?).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,096
    Graco for me and mine over the years. You can buy extra bases and i highly . The way in which the base is attached is an important detail. Seatbelt doubled up for older cars. Newer cars have metal brackets just for this which is great. Ime they are great for baby retention but not so much for swapping in an out. If you have leather sets put a towel or something in between it and the base otherwise your seat will be fucked. Baby Trend is another ok brand.
    Sleep when the baby sleeps. Huggies not pampers. If you do go formula i would avoid the blue similac as its known for intense painful stomach gas. Your baby will be screaming and you'll have no idea why. Gerber good start worked for my daughters. Good luck and congratulations on a lil' Mall Walker.



    Sent from my I3123 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    392
    Iíll echo the Britax system with a base in each vehicle. We also bought bases for grandma and grandpas cars to make it seamless no matter which vehicle our little guy was riding in. The seat is awesome paired with the Bob stroller.

    When you get to the point where you need a convertible seat - I highly recommend the Diono Ranier(or similar Diono) for the combination of safety and compact design. Itís the only seat that would work in our Allroad and still allow an adult to fit in the front passenger seat.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Wallstrasse 28, Hessen, 35321, Laubach, Germany
    Posts
    32
    I will recommend you,
    Bugaboo Turtle by Nuna Car Seat + Base - Compatible with Bugaboo Fox, Fox 2 and Lynx Strollers Only - Fits Infants 4 to 32 Pounds - 5-Point Safety Harness - Lightweight Car Seat - Black

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,616
    Name:  img_7862.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  52.4 KB
    watch out for snakes

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    5,862
    Those multi connect baby carrier things suck. Pick your baby up and hold him when you get out of the car. Carry him in your arms for fucks sake. It's not that burdensome. They're pretty small.

    That said, the best car seat going is the Diono Radian. Hands down.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,223

    Car seats for kids

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Those multi connect baby carrier things suck. Pick your baby up and hold him when you get out of the car. Carry him in your arms for fucks sake. It's not that burdensome. They're pretty small.
    relax dr phil. I canít carry the kid and all the booze and my gun and my bong at the same time. this is tech talk, so help me solve my problem with money or go post on reddit.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fraggle Rock, CO
    Posts
    5,862
    I did, I said you should buy the Diono Radian. You should. When you fondle a few car seats it is obviously superior in terms of materials and construction. Plus you can realistically plan to use it from birth to no longer needs a car seat.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    123
    Cue awful brand names...We had a Nuna Pipa to start with stroller attachments. Base was super easy to install and the bucket clipped in and out just as easy. Now onto a Clek Fllo, front/rear facing, harder to install but looks like it could survive a trip to the moon.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    123
    Good to make sure the first one has a removable, cleanable fabric for the inevitable hose down it will need at some point.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Encinitas CA
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I did, I said you should buy the Diono Radian. You should. When you fondle a few car seats it is obviously superior in terms of materials and construction. Plus you can realistically plan to use it from birth to no longer needs a car seat.
    +1. We had two with are two kids. If you and your partner decide to go crazy and have more than two, it is the one car seat that you can fit three across a back seat. The construction lasted for 7 years of use and the kids never complained about riding in them and that included 12 hour driving.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,434
    We have kids 5 years apart and as a result have tried a couple brands.

    Chicco car seats > Britax carseats. Adjustment is just smoother and easier to get installation right quickly in different cars. I think the Chicco had a smaller footprint too.

    Britax stroller > Chicco stroller. Britax just requires a bit less thought to maneuver. Britax was 3 wheel. Chicco 4 wheel. I think the Chico was a higher end model, yet not as good. But they're both fine.

    The difference in strollers is smaller than the difference in car seats. If I had to buy another set I'd go Chicco for sure.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    22,777
    Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    If you have leather sets put a towel or something in between it and the base otherwise your seat will be fucked.
    IME, just having a kid in your back seat means your seat will be fucked.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Posts
    1,258
    ^^^This.

    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    guess I have a whole new world of exciting things to discover
    Another thing you're about to discover is how much of your life revolves around someone else's literal shit. Don't kid yourself in to thinking it goes away when they get potty trained, either.

    If you're letting grammy and gramps drive little MW around, make sure you get a seat that they can adjust properly and secure easily. Not all are created equal. My mom has RA and there were a lot of instances with our first where she couldn't help because she couldn't get my daughter in and out of the seat.

    Cruiser does have a point: it will happen sooner than you think that it's more of a pain in the ass to keep the kid in the car seat and lug it around than just carry the kid.

    Congrats, it's the most rewarding job with the worst schedule and pay that you'll ever have.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    355
    We used a Graco system for our kids and agree with click in and out and move w/o waking up the infant - you'll go to Mission Impossible extents to keep the thing asleep. Multiple bases with one bucket.

    Arpopos the click-into-strollers function, this is actually pretty useful because those buckets get awkward to carry for any real distance and when you go somewhere you can cover the kiddo with the sunshield, etc. The BOB stroller which works great on uneven ground but also for cities because of curbs (and esp. when you move into double strollers) has a detachable bar that is compatible with the Graco bucket but I'm sure other brands have standardized as well. I wouldn't necessarily get a dedicated bucket-only stroller because their use is short lived and the BOB can then be their regular stroller for years.

    Other thing to consider is getting a seat cover. You lash those bases under quite significant force which leaves dents in the seat, esp. leather (but we had cloth at the time and same thing), and once they start snacking your back seat will look like it got infested with Goldfish termites. We got the Munchkin Brica Elite that has a harder base to prevent indentations as well (it's on Amazon for $34.95 but well worth it - still use it under the forward facing seats as well).

    Congratulations, and welcome to Car Seat 101. The more advanced and graduate level courses cover how the heck to fit three seats in a row in the back seat (not all seats are the same width), rental cars, the third row, and which ones are easiest to assemble and disassemble because they are covered in vomit half way to the ski mountain.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    589
    We went the Uppababy route. Expensive for sure, but we've been very happy with it. The ease of collapsing the stroller and ability to put the carseat into the stroller are pretty great. The wheels on the stroller are great too, I've hauled a bunch of groceries in the bottom and it rolls fine. We have a base in each car to make it easy to swap.

    Also, customer service is top notch...we had a minor issue with the tightening strap on the carseat and had a brand new carseat delivered 2 days later.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Posts
    11,539
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    relax dr phil. I canít carry the kid and all the booze and my gun and my bong at the same time. this is tech talk, so help me solve my problem with money or go post on reddit.
    I gots no imput other than youd be a way better parent if you gave me all your booze, guns, bongs, and drugs in exchange for mini mallwalker ski gear
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    Yo poliassfuckers
    theres a special basement for your lame shit

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,223
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I gots no imput other than youd be a way better parent if you gave me all your booze, guns, bongs, and drugs in exchange for mini mallwalker ski gear
    haha. my dad is already annoyed he canít find AT boots in small enough sizes

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    5,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    IME, just having a kid in your back seat means your seat will be fucked.
    We got a pair of these by the time the second kid came around. It helps a lot.

    https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/pro...hoC5MgQAvD_BwE

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •