Thread: Hovenweep

Hovenweep

Heading to Hovenweep from park city... any thoughts on canyoneering near there? Looks like riding sand canyon might be fun as well. Open to ideas from the collective. Ridiculously fit 9 and 20 year olds in tow. Have all the gear including dry suits for cold wet canyons.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Looks like riding sand canyon might be fun as well.
    Rode there once. Neat area, some cool rock formations, trails go very close to some ruins in places, but the riding is a solid "meh" overall. Worth it if you're in the area, have bikes and are itching to ride, but not worth going way out of your way for.

I just checked BLM site said is closed. they redid the campground a couple of years ago it is pretty nice. I use it regularly in the winter. running water heated bathroom. the bike trails at sand canyon are hiking trails that you can ride so not buffed out. I am sure you already are up on Phil's World. I would recommend going down Montezuma Creek one way over Dove Creek both ways. Nice drive but does become impassable when wet. . My limited knowledge is the canyons are just starting here. The are not as deeply cut. Some geologist here can probably explain better. My experience is the canyons don't really start till west of 191. If you want to ride Phil's World, I usually disperse camp off rd 316 sponsel reservoir east of mancos. It is amazing how interesting it gets when you just start hiking up some canyon but I have not found anything like Escalante Slots in this area. Horseshoe ruins are worth seeing. There is a hiking trail no bikes but I think there is a road in there you can ride. There were vehicles there. Probably could go here during the closure.
    off your knees Louie

Yeah closed. Went to bears ears instead. Pretty much hate that that tiny handed freak shrank it so much...could have actually bothered to get both sides of the story but....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3747.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	327943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3718.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	327944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3696.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	327945

Great first day...2 to go!

What time of day on the "house on fire" shot? The timing looks perfect.

It was way later than you’d think, like 11:15 am. We waited around and explored/scrambled until the light was great.

Great! Thank you