Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery

Shit I wouldn't be a hero for my own property.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My wife likes to check out buildings that are under construction. She can't help it, she's fascinated by them. I can understand the curiosity. She's also white as rice. I've never felt comfortable poking around uninvited which overrides my curiosity. Buildings are pretty fascinating. I'm also white as rice. So we have our white privilege. Nobody should have to die for taking a look see.
    Mine does that too. Does yours go to real estate open houses? I had a real estate agent in my office and she looks at the picture of my wife on the bookcase and says "I know her! She's at every open house I do."

I'm glad the assholes were convicted but as far as this being a sign that the end of racism is near--like some commentators are trying to say--well, it's a very low bar. Floyd and Arbury convictions are aberrations. The shit will keep going on.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm glad the assholes were convicted but as far as this being a sign that the end of racism is near--like some commentators are trying to say--well, it's a very low bar. Floyd and Arbury convictions are aberrations. The shit will keep going on.
    Without the video both of these cases result in everyone walking..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn
    He also has no idea what it’s like to be black in America and be confronted by angry gun toting rednecks. It’s pure hubris. It seems out of character for him but maybe not.
    Is it like being white and confronted by angry gun-toting Native Americans for giving a guy a ride home in the wrong part of Taos Pueblo after dark?

How about being white and confronted by gun-toting Native Americans for driving off the main highway looking for a place to surf in Quinault Washington?

How about having the hispanic sheriff of Mora county NM laugh in my face and refuse to take a report after my motorcycle was stolen there?

How about my hispanic supervisor in a federal job saying he’ll never promote a white guy so I can stay entry level or move along?

How about a pair of Native cops, one tribal and one sheriffs deputy, lying and cheating to try and convict me of an “assault” where I did nothing but stand there getting hit?

Gotta be at least similar. Everybody’s life is unique, but it’s not like I have no idea, I have some idea.

It’s been long enough now that it should be pretty clear whether or not stuff kept getting stolen in that neighborhood after this killing.
    I bet it stopped. I bet no more car break-ins or tools getting stolen from the construction site or missing fed exes… Or not, maybe it kept going.
    I bet no reporter does that story, though.

And for the people here pointing out that he wasn’t carrying anything away…yeah, all these people saying he’s “jogging”… he was running away because a neighbor saw him looking around for shit to steal. It’s typical for burglars to get recon done during the day, then come back at night. Many years ago I had neighbors who were burglars, their thing was learning fancy gringo vacation houses doing paint and drywall, then returning for valuables later…but the gist is you check things out in good light in as much of a non-criminal way as you can, then you do the theft efficiently at night.

I get the feel that a bunch of you would be totally cool if I just showed up in my sweat pants looking in your windows, looking around in your garage, in your car. What’s in the back yard here…just workin’ out! I’m hoping to be an architect, so all this prowling…just checking the architecture on my workout run. How would you feel about that lame story after you and the neighbors had your stuff stolen a few times? Still down with that aspiring architect working out by looking around at your house? I mean, me…that would make me suspicious but not you guys right? You guys are totally cool about that kind of thing.

what the fuck is wrong with you?

This was an unfinished house in the middle of construction so completely different than your example. Whatever point you are trying to make is based on your own misguided ignorance it appears. Your take is wrong in this case, best to just shut up and put the tail between the legs.

A demonstration that you really don't know what it's like being black in America.

You're being a racist fuckwad and losing or lost many mags' respect with posts like that. I'm sure you'll say you don't care, but with 13k posts it's clear you care about this community.

Just walk away. Your life experience hasn't taught you everything yet. Apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Mine does that too. Does yours go to real estate open houses? I had a real estate agent in my office and she looks at the picture of my wife on the bookcase and says "I know her! She's at every open house I do."

Yes, my wife also likes open houses. Did we marry the same person?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    It’s been long enough now that it should be pretty clear whether or not stuff kept getting stolen in that neighborhood after this killing.
    I bet it stopped. I bet no more car break-ins or tools getting stolen from the construction site or missing fed exes… Or not, maybe it kept going.

And for the people here pointing out that he wasn’t carrying anything away…yeah, all these people saying he’s “jogging”… he was running away because a neighbor saw him looking around for shit to steal. It’s typical for burglars to get recon done during the day, then come back at night. Many years ago I had neighbors who were burglars, their thing was learning fancy gringo vacation houses doing paint and drywall, then returning for valuables later…but the gist is you check things out in good light in as much of a non-criminal way as you can, then you do the theft efficiently at night.

I get the feel that a bunch of you would be totally cool if I just showed up in my sweat pants looking in your windows, looking around in your garage, in your car. What’s in the back yard here…just workin’ out! I’m hoping to be an architect, so all this prowling…just checking the architecture on my workout run. How would you feel about that lame story after you and the neighbors had your stuff stolen a few times? Still down with that aspiring architect working out by looking around at your house? I mean, me…that would make me suspicious but not you guys right? You guys are totally cool about that kind of thing.
    Really reaching there with the hyperbole, guy.

This is a bigoted take because it's based on a bias you're looking to confirm. I don't care what that bias is based on, could be racism or maybe you've just dug in on this specific guy being The Burglar based on early allegations.

But now you've formulated an ineffective proof of that and implied that someone would follow up on it if they weren't biased themselves. This is false. In this neighborhood a man was murdered for looking suspicious by a person who had reported thefts. There have probably been less reports of thefts ever since at least one vigilant observer was locked up. Most likely, any burglar targeting that neighborhood is avoiding it for a little while on the assumption that at least a few people there sympathize with the vigilantes. So if you "do that story" it wouldn't prove anything and no one would read it unless you attached a false, sensationalist headline.

I don't know why you're so dug in on this. That's personal and I'm sure you'll look at it. My faith stems from the assumption that you seem like a thoughtful guy who tries to improve your thinking. And I imagine that most people who try actually do improve, despite our personal challenges. So that's my bias and I'm looking to confirm it. Actually, I'm probably more dug in than that: I expect it to be confirmed so much that I'm not really testing the theory at all. Nobody's perfect.

Is it like being white and confronted by angry gun-toting Native Americans for giving a guy a ride home in the wrong part of Taos Pueblo after dark?

How about being white and confronted by gun-toting Native Americans for driving off the main highway looking for a place to surf in Quinault Washington?

How about having the hispanic sheriff of Mora county NM laugh in my face and refuse to take a report after my motorcycle was stolen there?

How about my hispanic supervisor in a federal job saying he’ll never promote a white guy so I can stay entry level or move along?

How about a pair of Native cops, one tribal and one sheriffs deputy, lying and cheating to try and convict me of an “assault” where I did nothing but stand there getting hit?

Gotta be at least similar. Everybody’s life is unique, but it’s not like I have no idea, I have some idea.
    Boo fucking hoo. Natives and Hispanics giving a white guy shit in New Mexico? Unheard of. Maybe if you tried to understand the social dynamic instead of using the bullshit tripe of “I don’t see race in my dealings with other people, therefore everyone should accept ME and let ME do what I WANT TO”. “I’m an outsider here? Fuck that. I wouldn’t consider you an outsider if you moved to my neighborhood. Let me be overly familiar with you and get in the middle of your bullshit because I feel like I should right every wrong according to the gospel of Yetiman.” Keep yourself humble and read the fucking room so to speak.

There was one car break in, no burglaries and the only people known to have taken something from a construction site were white. How do facts fit into your narrative?

Your previous post lamenting your interactions with natives and Hispanics in NM is relevant. Your role in those interactions is like Arbery’s in this case, an outsider being hassled by locals. If you can’t see this then you can’t recognize your own inherent bias.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

*after a dose of walking the dog*
    I’ve come to realize the great irony of me (white guy) throwing out fuck yous on this forum (New Mexico). P

I can’t possibly know what it’s like to be identified by race and held at gunpoint for being the wrong race, even though that’s literally happened to me multiple times?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Your previous post lamenting your interactions with natives and Hispanics in NM is relevant. Your role in those interactions is like Arbery’s in this case, an outsider being hassled by locals. If you can’t see this then you can’t recognize your own inherent bias. ]
    In any of those situations if I had charged at the gunmen and tried to wrestle the gun away I would probably have been at least shot, if not killed. Definitely with the one pointed at my head, although I don’t know if they were loaded or would have fumbled around…who knows. The point is, you said (or one of you, I don’t know) that I can’t know what that’s like, so I explained how I know what it’s like.

I also know what this is, this is an angry indignant impulsive social media social justice mob….meaning I’m now just a piñata for your spaz party.

I’ve been talking to you like friends, with a 17 year track record of posts here, and lots of shared time in the real world. But you’re talking to me like a twitter swarm. So…you know…I get it. There’s literally nothing I can say to a swarming social media mob. Swarm on spastics.

I’ve been talking to you like friends, with a 17 year track record of posts here, and lots of shared time in the real world. But you’re talking to me like a twitter swarm. So…you know…I get it. There’s literally nothing I can say to a swarming social media mob. Swarm on spastics.
    Yeah, no

You’ve been given a lot of rope here, exactly for your track record here

So, while you seem insistent on ignoring that, I’m gonna write it down for clarity

Maybe you’ll reflect on it later

Ahmaud Arbery

In any of those situations if I had charged at the gunmen and tried to wrestle the gun away I would probably have been at least shot, if not killed. Definitely with the one pointed at my head, although I don’t know if they were loaded or would have fumbled around…who knows. The point is, you said (or one of you, I don’t know) that I can’t know what that’s like, so I explained how I know what it’s like.

I also know what this is, this is an angry indignant impulsive social media social justice mob….meaning I’m now just a piñata for your spaz party.

You know what it’s like to be you. Does your ethnic group have a long history of slavery, servitude, discrimination and lynching?

If your beef is that he should have waited for the cops to arrive, I get that but claiming that all the crime in the neighborhood stopped after his murder is bullshit. There is no evidence that Arbery committed any crime in relation to this murder. I think that’s what is alarming to people here because it comes across as victim blaming and racist. Can you understand that? I think you’re a pretty decent guy by all accounts and your thoughtful posting here on different topics but this isn’t a good look for you.

Edit, I don’t use any social media other than this forum. I don’t look at this as a dog pile in yeti but concerned friends and acquaintances worried about what you are posting.

Yes, you likely would have died, but those people pointing guns at you would have been morally and legally culpable for your death. Same as with Arbery. Any self defense argument on their part is moot because they instigated the violent actions.

Ya'll need to go outside and blow of a bit of steam. Legality and morality ain't the same thing. Make sure you get your resumes up to date for when Judge Judy retires. As Willie Nelson says, best to make your words sweet 'cause you might have to eat 'em.

Ahmaud Arbery

So….saying out loud that all black people can burgle with impunity because of woke culture is….ok?

This isn’t an indignant social media woke mob out to get him because we’re all not like “oh wow IAS, your prose….is amazing. You should write for a living. I disagree with you, but you sure made me think”. Fuck that ball cupping and fart sniffing he’s so clearly enjoyed through some god awful takes.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    So….saying out loud that all black people can burgle with impunity because of woke culture is….ok?

If that's the fight you wanna fight, I'm not sure anyone can stop you. I'd chose to do something a little more productive with my time however. Maybe go volunteer somewhere...or do your laundry...or clean the bathrooms.

Yeti--so some Black and Latino people and Indians are racists. That's no surprise to anyone. So what's your point?

Since the pandemic, when I'm walking down the sidewalk people cross to the other side of the street. So now I know how it feels to be Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    . Legality and morality ain't the same thing.
    More often than not, they overlap. Plenty of times they are concurrent to each other too.

Ahmaud Arbery

Sure thing, dad. Sorry to ruin your TRG for calling a shit take, a shit take.