Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Restomod futures? (car nerd talk)

Thinking about the continuing trend of restomods in today's high end car market after daily driving a carbureted 300 inline 6 powered old ford truck and realizing I have absolutely no desire for this car to be "fast".

Resto mods are boring, and appeal to the same type of people that thought 57 bel airs with 3" thick paint jobs were cool in the late 90s. To be clear, I am not talking about LS swapping an FJ60, I am talking about builds solidly in the 6 and 7 figures.

Take an old mustang body and basically drop it onto a bespoke chassis with all the benefits of a new mustang. Or a bronco body on a new f150. And then double the stock horsepower because my vintage SUV needs 600 at the wheels.

If you want a comfortable reliable car that is quiet, fast and wont spill your cortado that is served in a cup too small for a lid, buy a new car. If you want something old and cool, buy something old and cool.

In regards to price, builders have to charge 200k+ to even consider being profitable. The builds are usually centered around an LS, tesla, or coyote swap. Which means new chassis to avoid flex, new driveline to handle power, big brakes, suspension, sound deadening, etc. It all adds up. Then you don't want to use it for a dump run because it would break your heart to scratch your 25,000 paint job. So you have this beautiful thing sitting in your climate controlled garage going unused indefinitely.

It seems people don't realize that old slow crap is just as fun to drive, costs nothing (10s rather than 100s of K) to restore to killer condition and gets all of the attention people are hoping for out of the much more expensive car.

I think that modern electric cars are going to so thoroughly outperform anything resto mod, that trying to keep up will be silly. There is definitely a market for curated vintage things restored to "original condition" with modern updates like disc brakes, EFI (like holley's new stuff) and assisted steering. I think you could sell a vintage cars and trucks in the 70-120k range all day that was just a slightly modernized (though still generally period correct and slow) to people that would actually drive them.

The one exception to the rule in my mind would be things like the icon derelicts. Those go beyond any logical bounds and turn into one off art projects that can be truly appreciated.

Curious to see the maggot hive minds thoughts.

I think as the last of the boomers die off, decrease discretionary spending and in general "car culture" just fades away, there will a smaller and smaller market regardless. Couple it with job uncertainty and Gen X lack of saving and especially prevalent in Millenials. I am fortunate to have some "fun" money and before I drop 70-120 on a bronco with power steering, I'd actually look at the Rivian R1S if I wanted to spend that much money. Plus i'm much more likely to find a person to work on my Rivian whether it be via wifi or in person, than a competent mechanic to work on my frankentruck in most areas of the country.

I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

When I want blue tooth and climate control, I get in my new Tundra. When I want a sun burn and sore kidneys, I hop in my '72 40.

I was never a big fan of the perfectly resto'd resto mod, ala Chip Foose. But, I gotta say, I really dig the Derelicts that Icon is doing. I'll never have the money for something that extensive, and I'm not a fan of frame swaps and cross-brand engine swaps, but I like the idea of improving the interior, suspension, brakes, safety, etc. of an old car while keeping the engine and exterior original.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Once you graduate past taking public transportation and get a Kia Sorrento for $289/mo for 60 months, let's be honest, anything more than that is to get some pussy. To each his own, and if you'd like to buy a hot car to get some pussy, that's cool with me.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Where does the Sonata with an AMG shift knob sit on that spectrum?
    I still call it The Jake.

I'm sure that has pussy hitting it like bugs on a windshield during a VT summer evening drive.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

“Restomod” cars are the automotive equivalent of taking a craftsman home, ripping out the interior except for a few choice pieces of woodwork, and putting in a white paint Pinterest friendly interior. Aside for a narrow niche, I see zero interest in “authenticity” anymore across pretty much everything, because most people are lazy and want comfort and reliability. I also see half the “joy” in checkbook car projects as being bragging about th3 project, most of them don’t make economic sense. Surely electric conversions fall into this restomod category too?

Other than a few anecdotes Ive no idea how many people buy restomod jobs, who they are, or how much they have to spend, or where the next place they’d find to spend it would be.

I guess 120k is 12 10s of thousands.

I don't see much of a future there. I have a 75 Blazer with a cammed LS, 4L80, and Atlas. Stock axles were plenty (front D44, rear 12 bolt), stock brakes work great (once I replaced everything with a gasket...), and my only permanent mod was two holes in the frame to relocate the trans crossmember. It's boringly reliable, way faster than it has any right to be, and it's a hoot in the summer with the top off. I spent last night sitting on the tailgate drinking beer.

But it's still a 70s truck - it's a death trap and a half (lap belts; metal pointy things; unpadded roll bar; fiberglass roof; no energy-absorbing crash structures, seatbelt pre-tensioners, collapsing steering column, or airbags - Kevin Hart's Cuda, anyone?), climate control sucks, and if i'm going further than just into town, I wear earplugs. And this is coming from a guy who also has a Gen 1 Viper with side pipes. It's shockingly unfriendly, but downright tame compared to what you'd buy in the 70s.

I think the intersection of car nuts who enjoy that and people with enough money to spend that much on a toy is pretty narrow. It has to be approaching saturation.

Quote Originally Posted by mangle View Post
    I don't see much of a future there. I have a 75 Blazer with a cammed LS, 4L80, and Atlas. Stock axles were plenty (front D44, rear 12 bolt), stock brakes work great (once I replaced everything with a gasket...), and my only permanent mod was two holes in the frame to relocate the trans crossmember. It's boringly reliable, way faster than it has any right to be, and it's a hoot in the summer with the top off. I spent last night sitting on the tailgate drinking beer.

But it's still a 70s truck - it's a death trap and a half (lap belts; metal pointy things; unpadded roll bar; fiberglass roof; no energy-absorbing crash structures, seatbelt pre-tensioners, collapsing steering column, or airbags - Kevin Hart's Cuda, anyone?), climate control sucks, and if i'm going further than just into town, I wear earplugs. And this is coming from a guy who also has a Gen 1 Viper with side pipes. It's shockingly unfriendly, but downright tame compared to what you'd buy in the 70s.

I think the intersection of car nuts who enjoy that and people with enough money to spend that much on a toy is pretty narrow. It has to be approaching saturation.
    I think its dead along with the same folks who got a hard on from watching american graffiti.

I think most are pretty ridiculous but hey if you have money to burn. However much I'd like a bronco with a coyote in it, my 71 bronco cost me $600(in 2002ish) and the mildly built 302 still has plenty of juice for drum brakes and 38s when running....

The all modern everything just adds up to too much cost for a profit like you said. Also not a fan of pavement princesses for 4x4s. Thing is, at least for old Broncos that a half nice rebuild is going for north of 50k. Hell I've seen "project" Broncos with hardly any drivetrain asking 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Thinking about the continuing trend of restomods in today's high end car market after daily driving a carbureted 300 inline 6 powered old ford truck and realizing I have absolutely no desire for this car to be "fast".

Resto mods are boring, and appeal to the same type of people that thought 57 bel airs with 3" thick paint jobs were cool in the late 90s. To be clear, I am not talking about LS swapping an FJ60, I am talking about builds solidly in the 6 and 7 figures.

Curious to see the maggot hive minds thoughts.
    The collective wants to know how you spend seven figures on a resto mod.
    . . .

I get old cars less and less as time goes on. Today you can order a new Vette at around 60 grand that is a technological and engineering marvel compared to cars just ten years ago, including Ferraris. And it's warrantied for a long time. Too much? The hot Camaros and Mustangs are pretty amazing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I get old cars less and less as time goes on. Today you can order a new Vette at around 60 grand that is a technological and engineering marvel compared to cars just ten years ago, including Ferraris. And it's warrantied for a long time. Too much? The hot Camaros and Mustangs are pretty amazing, too.
    Is why
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When was the last time you saw a new Vette on the road. The latest, I mean.

Right before stay at home. A buddy has one. The '65s look cooler.

I live in Truckee. The only "performance" cars I see are slammed Subarus with fart cans driven by kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    The collective wants to know how you spend seven figures on a resto mod.
    Singer Porsche
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ale-in-canada/
    I think some of the threat to restomod convenience comes from the OEMs; last week Porsche announced a new incar system backwards compatible with all air cooled 911s

As for Corvette? Last week. They aren’t coastal cars.

I saw a few last summer here in town. I think the owners go to FL for the winter.

I live in a really rich place and haven't seen one. Last generation, yeah, but no mid engined.

Leno did a great episode in the late fall with the chief engineer.

Sucky color. It looks better in a dark color.
    Still not a fan of the sharp lined design that borders on F-16, but, whatever.

I think improving an old car is good, full on create something new with an old skin??? Not my cup of tea but if the builder can get the $$$ so be it. Alot of talent in those garages.

_________Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190104_135818.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	327555Name:  20190104_135837.jpeg
Views: 841
Size:  26.2 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190104_135858.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	327557

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Shaun Palmer, is that you???