Thread: I was JRA...

I was JRA...

on my damn commuter, not even doing a road ride, and I got a goddamn bee in between my eye and my sunglass lens. I screamed like a little girl, locked up the front brake, and went ass over teakettle.

On the plus side, no broken bones, I kept my teeth, and a guy that had just finished a course in backcountry first aid stopped to check my vitals (sometimes Portland is great). On the down side, I have a pretty good egg on my knee, torn up palms, and am probably off the bike for at least a week.

It had been a good long time since I had a significant wreck, so I guess my number was up. Could have been a lot worse, but still...fuck that bee.

Ouch
    Hope you heal up quick

At least it wasn't a murder hornet

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    At least it wasn't a murder hornet
    Yea, he'd be carrying that eyeball on a kabob skewer right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Ouch
    Hope you heal up quick
    Thanks! I iced/elevated the knee for about an hour last night - that's what I was most worried about -- and it actually feels pretty good today. So I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be ready to ride pretty soon after my road bike gets back from the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Yea, he'd be carrying that eyeball on a kabob skewer right now.
    Ha! Thanks, laughter is the best medicine. If it had been a thumb-size murder hornet, I'd probably have seen the little fucker coming.

BITD riding with a buddy in the hills between Sherwood and Wilsonville he starts to yell “aghh stop there’s something in my eye”.

It was a horsefly stuck by its wings to his eyeball, little body a flailing.

They are surprisingly difficult to remove even when they are huge. Even though we flushed the eye with a water bottle after the bugectomy it ended up Infected.

Did it sting you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Did it sting you?
    On more reflection, I think it actually wasn't a bee, but something else. It bit me below my eyebrow, which is when I locked up the front brake, but it wasn't a sting -- no sting left behind, and no swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    On more reflection, I think it actually wasn't a bee, but something else. It bit me below my eyebrow, which is when I locked up the front brake, but it wasn't a sting -- no sting left behind, and no swelling.
    The last digger I took in So Ut was because of something I though was a bee but didn't leave a sting mark either, more like a mini bite mark when I looked carefully. Horse fly? Didn't have time to study it while I was arcing over the handlebars and rolling down the dirt into a bunch of scraggly junipers...

Way back long ago when I lived on the east coast, it was June bugs in the springtime. JRA, and even if you were looking, the damn things could knock you right off your bike. Their flight path was so spastic they were impossible to avoid if you saw them coming, but more often than not the creatures would knock you in the head like a flying coconut.