Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Hey man, if you want to tolerate shitty customer service, you can vote with your dollars. I'll vote with mine for companies that understand the unprecedented nature of this situation.
    I'm legitimately curious how other lodges are handling it. Are you seeing other outfits where you can book for this coming winter, and if the border doesn't happen to be open at the time of your trip, or there's a long quarantine, you get your money back?

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeMeUp View Post
    I'm legitimately curious how other lodges are handling it. Are you seeing other outfits where you can book for this coming winter, and if the border doesn't happen to be open at the time of your trip, or there's a long quarantine, you get your money back?
    So the hut company takes all the risk, then when you can't come they lose a booking and eventually can't afford the bills and go bankrupt?...that makes no sense. Best you buy insurance because you are a dreaming...

Waxman- is right about the Quebecers. A good population of the ones that flock west tend to care less about basic hygene and rules...Im sure they think covid doe's not apply to them....

What I have heard 2nd hand is that for next year not taking any American reservations. Fewer people in lodge 16 max down to 10-8. Same number of guides. Still back to back heli so no down day. Cost increase is about $400 but this season is not about making money but losing less or just breaking even. Still going on work week so will see what the details are.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeMeUp View Post
    Some are taking US clients only if the US clients get COVID cancellation insurance (due to border closure strong possibility). Some are refunding all US client bookings for next year minus admin fee (admin fee ranges) and not taking any US clients. Some are telling US clients to take their chances and offering rebooking if necessary for admin fee but with rebooking going to be in the shoulder season. It's a wide range.

TBH I think GAH is being quite realistic with you (refund less admin fee). There is almost a certainty industry wide that (i) US guests won't be able to get over the border ; or (ii) US guests won't be able to get over the border without significant hassle; or (iii) Canadian and European and other nationality clients won't want to be in a hut with US guests.

There are vaccinations available now.

Splat u always welcome in Can!! We will just need to hide u in a shipment of Bro’s to get u up here!

Vaccination or not the news in Canada is the border will not open to tourism until mid-late 2021. That puts us into next summer and beyond....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Splat u always welcome in Can!! We will just need to hide u in a shipment of Bro’s to get u up here!

Vaccination or not the news in Canada is the border will not open to tourism until mid-late 2021. That puts us into next summer and beyond....
    Good

I had two trips to BC booked. One cancelled all US bookings, the other I cancelled just because it made the most sense to me what with the likelihood of disease transmission, border crossing difficulty, and the US generally not being able to get its shit together. I wouldn't let me in, either.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Good
    Seconded

.... and I take no glee in saying that. I have no idea when we will ever see the California arm of our family again. We sure as sh*t aren't going down there any time soon, if ever again.

What's that going to do to the Backcountry Lodge industry?

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    What's that going to do to the Backcountry Lodge industry?
    It will probably mean price and margin compression as the BC lodges will have to rely more on locals

Good
    no it isn't! all we want to do is visit a few parts of bc & yukon where there isn't anyone around (haines pass anyone).
    we've cancelled 4 trips since spring, living 55 km from the border and not being able to cross sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    no it isn't! all we want to do is visit a few parts of bc & yukon where there isn't anyone around (haines pass anyone).
    we've cancelled 4 trips since spring, living 55 km from the border and not being able to cross sucks.
    From my personal perspective it sucks mightily that a minority of douchetards Americans abusing the system means that the border needs to be sealed tight. Well as tight as it practically can be. But I literally don't see any other way around it. It sucks for my friends who come up north to ski; it sucks for the tourism/travel businesses. For the guides.

totally agree, just being a whiner

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    totally agree, just being a whiner
    been a rainy sumer?
    off your knees Louie

Speaking of locals word is last frontier heli is offering a very sweet deal for Canadians this winter should the border be closed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Basically 1/2 price at Bell 2....IF the border remains closed!

https://www.lastfrontierheli.com/new...for-canadians/

So maybe that is why Lee, X'r and AP are so adamant that the borders remain closed- they just want those cheap ($1,000 + a day) heli thrills to themselves!!! Greedy pow pigs the lot of em (love you guys)

... although with the way BC has been trending lately - we may be the ones being quarantined

That deal was eaten up the day they put it out...I tried a day later and the spots were filled...

That deal was eaten up the day they put it out...I tried a day later and the spots were filled...
    Yup. No Brainer no strings deposit. I have a line on early morning one way heli drops in the alpine then make your way back down to Ningunsaw but requires good conditions

It will probably mean price and margin compression as the BC lodges will have to rely more on locals
    It’ll be like the couple of years after 2008 when the Americans stopped coming because their investments has plunged and their houses were worth less than the Mortgage. IE you could actually make a booking less than a year in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    It’ll be like the couple of years after 2008 when the Americans stopped coming because their investments has plunged and their houses were worth less than the Mortgage. IE you could actually make a booking less than a year in advance.
    Actually, I’ve checked every dream trip i’ve ever wanted to do in Canada and there is very limited availability at most operations right now. A couple random spots here and there that are available if your single or a few random spots for u and a partner, but as of right now, no discounts on anything... Everybody is booked or not taking new bookings at this point. Thats real world research from a diehard skier trying to capitalize on some discount trips....

It might change once they realize those foreign bookings r not coming this year but who knows. Everybody needs to make decisions to succeed and some of these ops best decision might be to wait till next season. We all need to appreciate whatever it takes to survive in these times as a business, for some ops might make more sense to not operate this season....yet to be determined...
    Last edited by teamdirt; 08-13-2020 at 10:39 PM.

I agree with TD

CMH is planning for 2-4 lodges only, but even that is a bit of a crap shoot.

I'm guessing that a few last min deals will come thru as people get sick or have to isolate or panic. But as of now you can't book a cheap seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I had two trips to BC booked. One cancelled all US bookings, the other I cancelled just because it made the most sense to me what with the likelihood of disease transmission, border crossing difficulty, and the US generally not being able to get its shit together. I wouldn't let me in, either.
    Sorry bro. Though things are screwed now, my hope is that it's just one lost season. My heart goes out to the small lodge owner, it's a tough go at the best of times. These seem to be the worst of times.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

are the Calgary rednecks going to Burnie ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    are the Calgary rednecks going to Burnie ?
    I would assume so Al, I think Robbie's booked his week in perpituity.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!