Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I passed a guy fixing his ear buds on a local trail that really only sees downhill traffic. I pass him and I dont think he even noticed me. We are only a couple hundred yards from the bottom of the trail head so I stop to try and let him know to keep his head up and ears open going up because most people bike down and it is a pretty fast trail. He gives me an exaggerated your telling me I cant ride up. I say no you can just be careful and he gets snarky and tells me I must be a local something or other as he continues to put on his earbuds and I assume ride up the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Everyone pulling up their mask when within 6 feet of another person?

I have really hard time believing my mask does anything in the 1-3 seconds I pass by another rider/hiker, but who knows.
    That doesn't really bother me. No sweat off my back if they want to take that precaution, just so long as they don't give me shit for riding without a mask on.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I think so too but throw enough seeds and you're going to get some to sprout right?
    If it's the kids I'm all for it. The generation of kids that stopped going outside (I don't know when that was) was the beginning of the end.

I now wear a buff around my neck and pull it up in yielding situations. I doubt it does anything for virus transfer but it seems to have a mental effect for people to get further back than the 1' they were giving me. And I've been a lot more patient with people as there are a lot of new folks out these days.

If someone is clearly on a work call and not paying attention as they block the trail, I yell "he's touching himself right now" as a I pass. I don't try to ride my bike in your office, don't block the trail where I'm trying to ride while you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I've seen a lot of brand new e-bikes with wobbly riders. People spending those Donald Dollars.
    lol @ donald dollars. I have seen an uptick of rad bikes in my hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    If it's the kids I'm all for it. The generation of kids that stopped going outside (I don't know when that was) was the beginning of the end.
    Shoddy (and some decent) jumps are sprouting on our local trails like weeds right now. Idle teenage hands, some of which are good, others not-so-much. Heard a story about a local rider having to be carted off via gator on some of our off-grid trails, hopefully those don't get shut down as I've been riding that section much more frequently to avoid the mobs of people in the adjacent legal trail system. My backyard trails have now become ~6am rides and still bumping into runners and riders, most of which are regulars doing the same as me.

I fear when the good biking opens up near me that there will be a lot of medical attention/resources wasted for people that go way out of their element...

On today's trail ride, a Karen started yelling at some mom with a toddler playing in the creek (and holding an infant) to move out of the way. I said to my riding buddy - hopefully loud enough for her to hear - "Karen wants to speak to her manager."
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    If someone is clearly on a work call and not paying attention as they block the trail, I yell "he's touching himself right now" as a I pass. I don't try to ride my bike in your office, don't block the trail where I'm trying to ride while you're working.
    I will try and remember this one next time I run into a Zoom addict. Usually this type of interaction only happens at work with IT people taking calls in the restroom and I'll go out of my way to fart as loudly as I can without shitting myself.

Last Saturday I rode up to the archetypal UT MoMILF hiking the Shoreline trail. Head to toe LuluLemon, brand new sneakers that have never seen a speck of dirt, full makeup and hair, the works, pretending to be on a run while videochatting a friend.
    I had gone by dozens of hikers and bikers that day with no issues, everyone was giving space, being considerate and polite, quite the improvement from the usual rat race. MoMILF was having none of it and wasn't gonna cede the high ground. I gave her 3 "can I sneak by you whenever you're at a good spot" and she ignored me each time but started running for 30' before going back to walking. Eventually I saw an opening and right as I was about to make a move I hear her friend tell her "will you please let this asshole get by you, he's complained three times already".
    I almost shed a tear of joy at the thought of having pissed off these 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Eventually I saw an opening and right as I was about to make a move I hear her friend tell her "will you please let this asshole get by you, he's complained three times already".
    This would be the moment for a well-timed fart.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I will try and remember this one next time I run into a Zoom addict. Usually this type of interaction only happens at work with IT people taking calls in the restroom and I'll go out of my way to fart as loudly as I can without shitting myself.

Last Saturday I rode up to the archetypal UT MoMILF hiking the Shoreline trail. Head to toe LuluLemon, brand new sneakers that have never seen a speck of dirt, full makeup and hair, the works, pretending to be on a run while videochatting a friend.
    I had gone by dozens of hikers and bikers that day with no issues, everyone was giving space, being considerate and polite, quite the improvement from the usual rat race. MoMILF was having none of it and wasn't gonna cede the high ground. I gave her 3 "can I sneak by you whenever you're at a good spot" and she ignored me each time but started running for 30' before going back to walking. Eventually I saw an opening and right as I was about to make a move I hear her friend tell her "will you please let this asshole get by you, he's complained three times already".
    Maybe next time start singing some French folk tune really loudly?

three repeated requests should have provided ample time to prime and engage the ol crop duster. masked of course

I have really hard time believing my mask does anything in the 1-3 seconds I pass by another rider/hiker, but who knows.
    Nope, I'm not wearing one when I ride my bike or take the dogs for a walk. My thinking is similar to yours. If wearing a mask while "social distancing" actually did anything, then my thought is that the different government agencies would require it (like here in Boulder County). I get it while in stores and other enclosed public spaces.

There has been some general cluelessness from people who appear new to this whole outdoor recreation thing but overall the vibe on our local trails has been positive and friendly. Hikers fucking love my Timberbell https://www.mtbbell.com/ and almost every ride a hiker will want to talk about how great it was to hear me coming etc etc.

Generally the social norm, in situations where I stop to chat since I’m waiting for my friends to catch up, is to stand on opposite sides of the trail 8 ft apart or so. Masks generally viewed as optional it appears. In the past 30 or so rides only two examples of people insisting on standing right next to me.

I've always found mtb here to be super social. Meet folks on the trail, stop, chat, ride on, good times. This new paradigm is super hard- I find I'm being polite, but cold, and it feels so wrong. That said, it's such a freakin' blessing to be out riding trail, and 97% of people, on and off bikes, seem to appreciate it too, and though awkwardly, try to be cool.

It's all weird, such is the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Hikers fucking love my Timberbell https://www.mtbbell.com/ and almost every ride a hiker will want to talk about how great it was to hear me coming etc etc.
    I'm still on the fence. The only people that speak up are the ones that appreciate it. The look on the faces of some of the folks that don't say anything...says everything. I find the thing highly irritating, so it wouldn't surprise me if others felt the same way. I still use it cause it really does help, but it feels a little self centered. I put some tape squares on mine to kill some of the ring.

I'm with you, though. Almost always a good vibe, and no actual conflict. I did come up on a guy with some 80s headphones, apparently cranked cause he couldn't hear me asking him if I could get by. I yelled "hey, man" and "sir" a couple times, then found an opening and passed him. It was exhilarating. Like passing in a DH race.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I'm still on the fence. The only people that speak up are the ones that appreciate it. The look on the faces of some of the folks that don't say anything...says everything. I find the thing highly irritating, so it wouldn't surprise me if others felt the same way. I still use it cause it really does help, but it feels a little self centered. I put some tape squares on mine to kill some of the ring.

I'm with you, though. Almost always a good vibe, and no actual conflict. I did come up on a guy with some 80s headphones, apparently cranked cause he couldn't hear me asking him if I could get by. I yelled "hey, man" and "sir" a couple times, then found an opening and passed him. It was exhilarating. Like passing in a DH race.
    I'm convinced the bells are a lot more appreciated than not. I'm amazed by how many positive comments I get. the only people who seem annoyed are other riders who I come up on from behind on a climb and sometimes forget to flip the bell off, I think it takes them awhile to realize I'm not repeatedly dinging a bell for them to get the f over. I of course apologize, turn it off, then yell "STRAVA ON YOUR LEFT!!!!"

hate to see the mom jeans ladies get startled. on my bike that doesn't have i9s

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    . I put some tape squares on mine to kill some of the ring. .
    The timber is designed such that the trigger position can be set to various levels of Mute. Sometimes I keep it on a soft ring setting. But I guess crafting tape squares is a fun way to kill time under Covid lockdown.

Even on full Open, it doesn’t make much noise on a smooth uphill section. Maybe we need an app that senses geo proximity and triggers a vibrate alert on both cell phones.

See, I was wondering about that. Mine sounds the same in all settings. I got it on Amazon and thought maybe it was a fake.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Slick rock and saw two riders. Ahab, saw one. Klondike, didn’t see anyone. It’s weird where people are and aren’t. Local down hill only trail and three grandmas were really struggling walking down it. I let them know it was a down hill biking trail and to keep their eyes open. Hope some fast kid didn’t get them.

The buff has had more upside than I expected. I am chronically dehydrated due to reduced capacity to drink and I've found that breathing through a buff helps reduce the effects--by a lot some days. And it's pollen season, but not for me. No idea how much good it's doing against the corona, but it's not hurting on any front.

Yesterday on my lunch trails I was riding a brand new roughed-in trail that my friend is building and I hear someone yell, "thank you!" I look over across the stream and a women and a guy with their dog are talking to another biker that I know and they're waving to me. I guess he told them I built the trails out there. So that was nice. I really enjoy seeing people out walking on the trails and obviously riding them. What is somewhat humorous to me is some of the riders that ride my trails want to keep them on the down-low like it's some secret spot. I've built and maintained every trail (except 2 and now this brand new one which I'm headed out to help on) and would rather have more people out there enjoying them. I don't really get it. If it was a pow stash or surf spot, sure, but a dirt trail?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yesterday on my lunch trails I was riding a brand new roughed-in trail that my friend is building and I hear someone yell, "thank you!" I look over across the stream and a women and a guy with their dog are talking to another biker that I know and they're waving to me. I guess he told them I built the trails out there. So that was nice. I really enjoy seeing people out walking on the trails and obviously riding them. What is somewhat humorous to me is some of the riders that ride my trails want to keep them on the down-low like it's some secret spot. I've built and maintained every trail (except 2 and now this brand new one which I'm headed out to help on) and would rather have more people out there enjoying them. I don't really get it. If it was a pow stash or surf spot, sure, but a dirt trail?
    IDK how it is with your trails, but people want "unsanctioned" trails out here kept on the DL so 1) the authorities don't come out and shut the trails down for not being permitted, or 2) you dont want someone getting hurt on a trail that has been officially designed, permitted, IMBA approved etc. A lot of folks would rather have SAR come get them for a broken collarbone than just walk out... and then there is a paper trail the insurance company wants to follow.

Others just like being in the club that knows about the secret trails, and that club gets less cool the larger it grows.

Climbing a local hill and come around a switch back, uphill and a lady is standing on the edge of the trail behind some aspens. Yells at me to "slow down", and grabs my arm causing me to turn toward her. Spent the next hour and a half revisiting what I could have done differently. I let it ruin my ride. People are just wound really tight right now. Glad I'm not a cop. I bet they are really seeing it.