Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Crazy Covid stories

A place to share the craziness we are encountering. I am convinced people are just super stressed out, and acting crazy as a result.

Yesterday: I ride a loop for the first time and the ascent is all clear. I come around the ridge into my neighborhood and there is some snow banks resulting in some hike a bike. I come up on a lady with two off leash dogs where they are required to be on leash and she yells at me “ This is too wet for you to ride”.

Sunday: come up on two dog walkers and they both go to opposite sides of the trail. One dog is startled by me and jumps across the trail. Petite young girl screams at the dog owner “control your f’n dog. The guy says “Calm Down”. And she just goes ballistic. I kept going because that girl scarred me more than a grizzly.

Saturday: come up behind a guy on a local flow trail and say “wherever is convenient”. He attempts to accelerate and blast through two more berms and multiple features. I think he must have head phones on, and say again loudly “wherever you’re ready.” He screams I heard you the first time, goes another 50 yards and then pulls off, and calls me a dickhead as I pass. I of course can’t let this go and come back with “thank you for being courteous on our trails”.
    He tried to catch me but his 10 k carbon couldn’t keep up with my 2011 aluminum.

I’ve had as many weird things happen this week as I do in a typical year. I’m convinced it’s covid. Of course it could just be the entitled people my town attracts or creates.

I’ve seen lots of craziness as well. I attribute it to people being in places they are not comfortable with. I’m fortunate enough to live 3 good football throws from a massive provincial park that is usually really quiet but over the last month or so it’s been insanely busy. Contrary to popular belief you can judge a book by its cover and I’ve seen a ton of people who would usually be at the mall or somewhere else then in nature. Just general principals of trail etiquette, low impact behaviours and such are totally out the window. I’m actually worried there will be some lasting damage as the park is still pretty wet/snow covered and people trouncing all over it might have lasting effects.

trails where you would see 2-4 people you now see 20-40....massive groups (15-20) at picnic tables, not socially distancing. This is why we can’t have nice things....

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I’ve seen lots of craziness as well. I attribute it to people being in places they are not comfortable with. I’m fortunate enough to live 3 good football throws from a massive provincial park that is usually really quiet but over the last month or so it’s been insanely busy. Contrary to popular belief you can judge a book by its cover and I’ve seen a ton of people who would usually be at the mall or somewhere else then in nature. Just general principals of trail etiquette, low impact behaviours and such are totally out the window. I’m actually worried there will be some lasting damage as the park is still pretty wet/snow covered and people trouncing all over it might have lasting effects.

trails where you would see 2-4 people you now see 20-40....massive groups (15-20) at picnic tables, not socially distancing. This is why we can’t have nice things....
    This. This. This.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

People are definitely cracking.

The whole mask/no-mask thing seems to be adding a lot of unnecessary tension.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    People are definitely cracking.

The whole mask/no-mask thing seems to be adding a lot of unnecessary tension.
    were you wearing a mask when you wrote that?

i mean I understand...people have kids out of school, no job, weather is getting nicer, can’t go to the movies/mall/water park or whatever the hell else they know so they go to something free to let the kids run out some energy but damn.... teach them about nature, sustainability, treating the park with respect as opposed to just flipping through your iPhone as your kids destroy the park.

Also I’ve noticed a lot of really old bicycles out there and a lot of brand new ones....

Is it not the most fucked thing ever that it takes a crisis like this to finally get people to the parks? So they go to parks and act like they are at Wal Mart. We shouldn't be surprised. In the short term, when they all end up wading in a stream without socially distancing, their behavior threatens all of us. In the big picture, if these morons survive and we do as well, we could have a whole new generation of people with an appreciation for parks, and the need to fund them.

I've seen a lot of brand new walmart bikes with wobbly riders.

@ugly, my wife was saying something similar today, but I'm convinced that when this is all over they will return to their car/mall/fast food lifestyles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    @ugly, my wife was saying something similar today, but I'm convinced that when this is all over they will return to their car/mall/fast food lifestyles.
    I think so too but throw enough seeds and you're going to get some to sprout right? At least I am trying to look at the bright side of the carnage. Some of our parks had Yellowstone style traffic this past couple weekends. Definitely a go early or late thing, which is absolutely not normal for this time of year.

well, you are American ... just sayin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Saturday: come up behind a guy on a local flow trail and say “wherever is convenient”. He attempts to accelerate and blast through two more berms and multiple features. I think he must have head phones on, and say again loudly “wherever you’re ready.” He screams I heard you the first time, goes another 50 yards and then pulls off, and calls me a dickhead as I pass. I of course can’t let this go and come back with “thank you for being courteous on our trails”.
    He tried to catch me but his 10 k carbon couldn’t keep up with my 2011 aluminum.
    could have left this one off the list.
    bumps are for poor people

I go back and forth on what it will look like after. I do agree most go back to their “ natural habitats’ but I do think that maybe some will return and as was said maybe it will spark some young people to embrace the outdoors and not their video games?

all I know is that I’m pissed that my trails are a zoo and I can’t imagine what the good mountain biking about 45 min away will look like... I’m betting no parking, lots of morons...

There's definitely been a lot of people out on the trails on their 20 year old bike that they just dug out of the garage for the first time in an eternity. That aside, haven't experienced too much weird fuckery on the trails.

The roads are another story though. Apparently people forgeting how to drive is one of the seven seals of the apocalypse. Tons of people pulling bafflingly dumb moves in cars. "I'm going to disregard oncoming traffic and pull a 5 point u-turn in the middle of the road in a 45mph zone."

Cross post from the rat flu thread, seems more appropriate here:

Saturday I went for a ride on a formerly quiet, litter-free, quasi-urban local trail. Bouncing along with a jingling bare bell, I came around a corner to see a young lady squatting not 4 feet from the side of the trail, unable to move. Must have been urgent because she had to have heard me. As I came into view she threw both hands over her face. Bet she wished she'd worn a mask.

My wife was behind me and had a word or two with the squatter and then her friends, who were one switchback further down. I kinda pinned it--with the giant dose of WTF in my head I couldn't bring myself to embarrass her any further at the time. But a GoPro would have been fitting.

Same route in early afternoon today saw one runner and one other bike. Weekends need some one-way signage all of a sudden.

Nothing too crazy, the general change has been bizarre, though.

- Nobody talks anymore. It's a good thing, but really strange as it seemed to happen overnight. Sometimes a mumbled "hi", but mostly nods or head turns in the opposite direction.

- 99% of my interactions are with hikers, I rarely see other mountain bikers. Not unusual, but with the increased number of people, I stand out, especially when I pass the same people multiple times. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not the bell is a good thing. The only people to say anything are the ones thanking me for the warning, but I get plenty of scowls, particularly from the growing number of newly minted bird watchers.

- Riding in the rain used to be a guarantee of empty trails, now it just limits numbers

- Despite the light trespassing and coming home bloody, covered in ticks, local exploration rides are becoming extremely satisfying due to the complete solitude.

- 6:30 am isn't early enough to avoid other people on the trails anymore.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Seeing the same things around Reno: lots more trail usage by people who don't look like they regularly hike.

One oddity that hasn't been mentioned yet: I've seen several people walking along trails, doing a video call on the phone at the same time. Completely oblivious to surroundings. They never hear me coming, even when I'm yelling hello, passing on your left, etc. Then they get upset.

I'm definitely less social when passing others these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm definitely less social when passing others these days.
    Why?

In our town (this is while walking our dogs, not riding), I find that people are actually way more social and talkative than normal these days. While riding, I'm no less social or talkative, because there's no reason to not to be. Especially with the increased number of people on the trails, it's good to communicate more, not less.

The cool thing about the video callers is that the people they're talking to get to be witnesses to the encounter. Hopefully they see you coming up on Michael Scott before he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I've seen a lot of brand new walmart bikes with wobbly riders.
    I've seen a lot of brand new e-bikes with wobbly riders. People spending those Donald Dollars.

I got told by a hiker that I shouldn't have my dog offleash and it was ruining the soft trail. Problem was, it was on an illegal "hidden" trail, purpose built for MTB... that i built personally from scratch this past fall/winter... and was working on (shovel in hand) at the time. That was right at the start of the Stay At Home order. Only ever received compliments from folks otherwise (including old lady hikers id never expect to be stoked on a MTB specific trail) which has been cool.

Recently, only bad (usually bemusing) interactions ive had were people who obviously had never been to my local park Pre-covid, who didnt know the generally accepted rules of use: scared of offleash dogs, parking in weird/illegal spots, getting mad when their dog's tennis ball gets "borrowed" by another dog, flying RC planes and getting mad when a pack of dogs chases it, setting up a family picnic ON a main pathway to fish the river (illegal), wearing nice clean clothes and shoes to walk around the sometimes swampy and muddy pathways.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Why?

In our town (this is while walking our dogs, not riding), I find that people are actually way more social and talkative than normal these days. While riding, I'm no less social or talkative, because there's no reason to not to be. Especially with the increased number of people on the trails, it's good to communicate more, not less.
    Because if I'm passing a gaggle of hikers (on a bike), I just want to get past, not to stop and chat for a while. My usual hello as I pass is now just a nod or wave.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

One of our networks is seeing a lot more traffic than usual. It's certainly the most difficult place to ride around here, so not a lot of people in general.

We had a blowdown on a new trail and there is a big boulder roll over that needed work at the base. So I'm out there with my dogs working on the trail. I turned the blowdown into a small log ride and I was placing rocks for the transition on the roll over. When I do shit like that I ride it several times and make adjustments. So this guy comes riding along solo and stops before reaching where I was at looking at his phone. (I had passed him earlier and I was riding with a shovel in my hand and large pack with my chainsway and said hello...no response) So, I ride past him over the boulder going reverse and say hello again. No response, just a nod. Fine. Whatever. He has a tail light blinking on his seat which tells me a lot right away. So I ride another 60 yards and bang a U to hit it the correct way to see how its rolling. Roll the rollover which leads into a blind techy wall crossing and bang! I'm on top of the guy because he's stuck. So I'm stopped and I say, yeah, this section is tricky and continue past to the log ride. I ride the log and then another U turn to go pick up my chainsaw. At this point the guy goes completely off trail and connects with it beyond me. Which just sucks because that's the way I'm headed. Sure enough he sees me coming and pulls off. I ride way around him and just ask if he's been out here before because recently we've helped 2 lost people get out (EC coastal riding is all small intestines circuits, so you just go in loops) and he's gives me this pissed off look and responds with a snarky 'yeah'. I just kept going and said "have fun". Fucking guy was way over his head riding out there and then a douche to someone who was clearly working and building trail that he's riding. /rant

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    One of our networks is seeing a lot more traffic than usual. It's certainly the most difficult place to ride around here, so not a lot of people in general.

We had a blowdown on a new trail and there is a big boulder roll over that needed work at the base. So I'm out there with my dogs working on the trail. I turned the blowdown into a small log ride and I was placing rocks for the transition on the roll over. When I do shit like that I ride it several times and make adjustments. So this guy comes riding along solo and stops before reaching where I was at looking at his phone. (I had passed him earlier and I was riding with a shovel in my hand and large pack with my chainsway and said hello...no response) So, I ride past him over the boulder going reverse and say hello again. No response, just a nod. Fine. Whatever. He has a tail light blinking on his seat which tells me a lot right away. So I ride another 60 yards and bang a U to hit it the correct way to see how its rolling. Roll the rollover which leads into a blind techy wall crossing and bang! I'm on top of the guy because he's stuck. So I'm stopped and I say, yeah, this section is tricky and continue past to the log ride. I ride the log and then another U turn to go pick up my chainsaw. At this point the guy goes completely off trail and connects with it beyond me. Which just sucks because that's the way I'm headed. Sure enough he sees me coming and pulls off. I ride way around him and just ask if he's been out here before because recently we've helped 2 lost people get out (EC coastal riding is all small intestines circuits, so you just go in loops) and he's gives me this pissed off look and responds with a snarky 'yeah'. I just kept going and said "have fun". Fucking guy was way over his head riding out there and then a douche to someone who was clearly working and building trail that he's riding. /rant
    What i have found is that people who are not into MTB or really into hiking never give a single thought as to how trails come into existence. Let along the fact that anyone actually maintains them. Ive mentioned building trail a few times to coworkers and they literally have no idea what i mean. I think most folks think that all trails came into existence back in the 30's, 40's and 50's as government projects, and then haven't been touched since. And if they do realize that trails get maintained or built, they don't realize that volunteers are the ones doing the work a lot of the time- they think its exclusively park rangers or govt staff that does it.

Everyone pulling up their mask when within 6 feet of another person?

I have really hard time believing my mask does anything in the 1-3 seconds I pass by another rider/hiker, but who knows.