Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Paddling with a kid: Tandem kayak? Canoe?

My wife and I currently have basic individual kayaks which we use for day trip flatwater paddling on local lakes, ponds, and the Connecticut River. One is a Costco-special Equinox that's wide, stable, and has a cockpit sized to fit the average Costco shopper. We have a 4 year old, and for the past two years we've been taking him out by sitting him on my lap in the large cockpit and we paddle together.

We're thinking of adding/changing this setup for two reasons:

1. Dual paddling in one cockpit is becoming less comfortable as my son gets bigger.
    2. We're moving from Massachusetts to Nevada, and so our paddling locations will change from mostly smaller lakes to Lake Mead and Black Canyon Water Trail (basically the flatwater part of the Colorado just downstream of Lake Mead), so distances will be notably bigger and there are camping options.

So what are people's thoughts on tandem kayaks vs. canoes? I was thinking with the tandem that I could pack some stuff in the second cockpit along with my son and that it would be generally faster to paddle. I imagine it would also be easier to load up on the van, but I haven't loaded many canoes.

With the canoe, you can pack even more stuff (toss in a cooler), and me, my wife, son, and maybe even dog could potentially be all in the same boat, but I imagine it would be slower going. A square stern canoe is seems like an interesting option in case I wanted to put a little electric trolling motor on it for some assistance to cover more ground.

Any flatwater paddlers with small kids have advice?

We found a tandem kayak with a child in the front was the best solution for covering distance effectively. Load gear as far forward as you can to trim the boat.

Canoe was only better for hauling lots of gear for short camping paddles.

I am biased because I grew up in Minnesota, but I say you can't go wrong with a canoe. You can carry a lot more than you would with a kayak. If you put the kiddo the middle make sure to have him sit low to keep the center of gravity low. I personally cannot convince my dog to stay in the canoe, but YMMV.

But, if you have not canoed before there is definitely a bit of a learning curve to paddling efficiently (e.g. in a straight line). And, paddling a tandem canoe if you are the only paddler (e.g. just you and your kid) is a skill that can take a while to master.

If you want a motor, I'd go the route of buying a regular canoe and getting a motor mount.

I had a flat-back canoe before.
    The ability to put a motor on is nice, but when you paddle solo, they suck. They get blown all over by even the slightest wind.

I like a standard canoe myself, but I've never kayaked before and all I know is loading and packing a canoe solo.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

The canoe gives your kid more room to move around -- which is good or bad depending on the kid. The canoe gives you more access to the kid without having to pull over. The canoe can fit your wife or an additional kid, dog, cooler, etc.
    The kayak will definitely be faster and you will not have to work as hard as in the canoe (especially because with kids, if you have more space for stuff you tend to use it) but overall I think the canoe is more versatile and if you have to have only one, get a canoe. I have done both but if I had to pick one I'd go with a canoe.

We have a 17ft tripper that works very well for the 3 of us human with hound. More cargo space, and 2 paddling adults are faster than you with you non-paddling grom in the kayak. We paddle up to class 2 water with the whole family without too much concern. Just me in the canoe, especially without weight to trim, sucks with the slightest breeze - been contemplating a rowing kit for solo fishing on lakes.

Just you and the kiddo, I would go kayak. So depends on the N+1 toy factor you subscribe to! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    With the canoe, you can pack even more stuff (toss in a cooler), and me, my wife, son, and maybe even dog could potentially be all in the same boat, but I imagine it would be slower going.

Any flatwater paddlers with small kids have advice?
    This has been our experience when paddling Jackson Lake with a small kiddo. Especially, if you want to paddle to an island and camp. For an hour long paddle in a smaller lake, or reservoir, where your goal is just a bit of fun on the water with no need for storage, a tandem can be fun once you get the rhythm down. Bottom line, if I am alone, I'd prefer kayak. If I'm with a 4-10 year old, I'd prefer canoe.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

a double kayak with a center hatch would be pretty ideal, double kayaks are usually pretty fast becuz speed is a product of length, I have spent some time in my buddy's Kevlar Seaward Passat which is the ne plus ultra of doubles

the down side is you need 2 people to paddle a double, they weigh narth of 70lbs depending on how much money you spent, due to the length transporting can be a problem, if you are really into seakayaking 2 singles will carry more supplies than 1 large double

Once you own a double they are really hard to get rid of

IMO you probably you want a canoe
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Sounds like a canoe is the way to go. I don't foresee wanting to run a motor much, so standard over square back makes sense. Thanks!

As a very general rule the maximum speed of any displacement hull--commonly called its hull speed--is governed by a simple formula: hull speed in knots equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet (HS = 1.34 x √LWL).

in other words get the longest canoe you can get.....

good excuse to start the kid on waterskiing....

This probably doesn't help a ton, since it isn't a "I've done both and like X over Y" response.

But we've done this and a triple Kayak is super-awesome - put the kid in the middle. (In our case, it was a sea-kayak with a third hatch that could be a seat or storage.)

Mostly easy trips around San Juan Island - didn't haul a lot of gear, and had a quiet child.
    Doubles and triples can be really stable, which is super nice.

Honestly I'd almost always prefer a Kayak - but it's also something I've got more experience with.
    [And I'm pretty sure we'd have done way worse in a canoe going around cattle-point at tide-change. At least we didn't do it with our kid in the boat.]

I've taken our 2 year old in the center hatch (converted to kids seat) in a tandem kayak. Rented the boat as i'm normally in a single greenland style kayak. Went out for 2 ish hours and he had a fucking blast. If they weren't such a pain in the ass to store and hard to transport (long and HEAVY), I'd get one for family trips. Tons of space for gear, super stable, and can handle some reasonably bad conditions. Was in a seaward passat G3 for reference.

I envy you, I wish my family shared my hobbies

I would choose a tandem kayak for my family as it suits us better. The first reason is, of course, the opportunity to travel with my family all together. Before switching to a two-seated kayak, I also swam on a basic kayak.

I just posted these pics in the "Kayak" thread. Here is my tandem Kayak....75lbs. Usually, I transported on top of the SUV. This year, I will try transporting in the bed of the pick-up. Either way, transportation is a PITA. I am considering selling the tandem and buying either a Bote Skiff of Kayak.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2397.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	657.6 KB 
ID:	418083

Name:	IMG_0798.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	503.2 KB 
ID:	418088

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	409.6 KB 
ID:	418089
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

that is a really short bed with a lot of boat sticking out the back unsupported, I would be worried the front end would become unlodged from the bed tied like that

I think i would drop the tailgate for more support, lay the boat in the bed and tie off to anchors on top of the bed to pull the boat forward/ down/ into the corner of the back of the cab also a strap across the middle

don't forget to put a flag on the end of the boat

We use my dad's old Grunman canoe and then we have a hybrid Jackson kayak for the third person (always my wife). That combo worked good as the kids grew. When we just had one little kid the canoe was great.

Reminds me, taking my daughter and dog on a week long canoe tomorrow. Renting a 40 lb kevlar canoe. Making the wife stay home and work so that eliminates the third person dilemma!

Thanks for the good suggestions and sorry for the tangent.
    I guess that I can try this, but then the remainder of the bed is useless:

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	776.3 KB 
ID:	418093

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	733.6 KB 
ID:	418094

Not sure that either way is more or less secure.
    Flag for sure!

I dislike tandem kayaks, and much prefer a canoe if I am.paddling with somebody with some ability (like a ten year old and up). If I am solo.paddling with a kid, the kayaks are more fun. I dislike solo canoing (likely skills related because I didn't grow up in a canoe culture.)

Canoing is closer to car camping while kayaking is backpacking. You can't put a weeks worth of cold food in an ice chest in a kayak, but a big ass Yeti fits fine in a canoe.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I dislike tandem kayaks, and much prefer a canoe if I am.paddling with somebody with some ability (like a ten year old and up). If I am solo.paddling with a kid, the kayaks are more fun. I dislike solo canoing (likely skills related because I didn't grow up in a canoe culture.)

Canoing is closer to car camping while kayaking is backpacking. You can't put a weeks worth of cold food in an ice chest in a kayak, but a big ass Yeti fits fine in a canoe.
    depends on the Kayak, I can put 3 weeks of food in/ on a real seakayak which i would say is a boat that is 17+ ft long but we don't do cold food, its all dehydrated

a tandem real seakayak won't carry as much as 2 singles
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-06-2022 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Thanks for the good suggestions and sorry for the tangent.
    I guess that I can try this, but then the remainder of the bed is useless:

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	776.3 KB 
ID:	418093

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	733.6 KB 
ID:	418094

Not sure that either way is more or less secure.
    Flag for sure!
    Get a track rack up by the cab. Load the kayak on that with the stern against the tailgate. . Would suck for highway driving.
    Or get the full rack package and load it horizontally up high.

^^^ Or Thule goal post
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

thats still not great but its better than with the gate up cuz now > half the boat is supported by the truck, its just not the optimum vehical for carrying a long kayak

Canoe’s offer more ability to move around, which can be nice, they are also easier to get stuff in and out of which only matters if you portage. By nature they generally have higher seats and more windage and lots of people find paddling one weird especially if you are solo paddling a big canoe. Square stern canoes come in a range of sizes, some entirely unsuitable for paddling