Thread: 2-way radios

2-way radios

So I've got 2 BCA link radios for my partner and I, but I'm thinking I'd want to sell one and grab a HAM radio and license in the event I need to use the radio to get onto an emergency frequency. What are your thoughts on HAM radios vs the BCA link radios? I'd also be getting the radio license to legally operate on the higher strength channels as well.

You are aware that the Ham Radio License requires a test- it is not just like getting a piece of paper like a fishing license. It is more like studying and getting your first drivers license.

HAM licenses are like condoms.Everyone promotes them, most slip without.

Thoughts? I would have more faith in the BCA to survive a yard sale through a couloir more than my boefeng, but the baofeng is a pretty sturdy unit.

Have warrantied at least 3 BCA radios in my group... We've all been on baofengs. No problems yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Have warrantied at least 3 BCA radios in my group... We've all been on baofengs. No problems yet.
    Good to know thanks. The only thing that does not impress me is the interface between the remote mic to the uv-5r.

Anyone else using their ski radios for remote parenting little kids? It's wonderful. Give the kids an activity and then go to the workshop. Tell them to radio you if they need anything and FFS leave your mom alone. I get shit done, mom is happy, win-win. Good for weekend projects.

$40 for the baofeng uv-5r with all the accessories on amazon seems like a great deal... the BCAs always give me a little sticker shock. this is what you're using? https://smile.amazon.com/BaoFeng-180.../dp/B0772FYKK8

I have a Yaesu FT-270R, I bought to use paragliding as many sites mandate or highly encourage radio usage. I've thought about getting another one to communicate with ski partners but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. From friends that have much more knowledge of radios than I do, the Baofeng radios are pretty cheap. There's plenty of reviews from people having issues with them not transmitting on the frequency they are set to and also just breaking randomly.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyGoesToDodge View Post
    So I've got 2 BCA link radios for my partner and I, but I'm thinking I'd want to sell one and grab a HAM radio and license in the event I need to use the radio to get onto an emergency frequency. What are your thoughts on HAM radios vs the BCA link radios? I'd also be getting the radio license to legally operate on the higher strength channels as well.
    I got a ham license a year or two ago. Here's some stuff I learned since dipping a toe in those waters, which you may already know, but I didn't when I started:

- Ham radios and BCA Link are licensed/intended to operate on different frequencies and therefore can't (legally) talk to one another.
    - Many ham handhelds can receive outside of their transmit band, which is perfectly legal, and those can be programmed to hear the FRS frequencies that the BCA uses. Just not respond back. Legally.
    - I know the Baofengs play a little fast and loose with FCC regulations, but I can't speak to the ease of getting a Baofeng to transmit on FRS frequencies. It would be technically unlawful, but the FCC isn't really doing enforcement.

Based on that, your options are to (1) go out with all ham radios in your group, (2) carry two radios so you can actually talk to your friends on FRS, (3) get a Baofeng to transmit out of band and be okay with the fact that it's technically illegal.

More about ham/amateur radios:
    - The radios need to be programmed to be useful. Out of the box you're just tuning freely up and down the allocated chunk of spectrum, transmitting and listening wherever you want. To make that remotely usable you need to define and program your own channels in memory. Definitely a learning curve on that. I haven't used a Baofeng, but I've heard they're rough to program. Yaesu makes some VHF/UHF ham handhelds that are a little pricier, $50+, but reportedly more user-friendly.
    - Regarding "emergency frequencies," there are no designated emergency channels on the ham-allocated bands. There are some typical "calling frequencies" that other amateurs monitor, 146.52MHz on VHF and 446.0MHZ on UHF, but that's not going to do any good unless someone is listening. I don't know if any SAR/Sheriffs/ski areas/etc. monitor these frequencies, but I haven't heard of it and kind of doubt it. You really need to find out what the local radio operations are like in your area if you plan on using ham to reach anyone outside of your group. Is there a lot of traffic on the ham frequencies? Is there a mountaintop repeater nearby? Are there any partnerships between SAR groups and local radio clubs that are active in EmComm? It's all very non-obvious and takes some legwork.
    - Yes, the ham handhelds can transmit at higher power, but they're only allowed to use that higher power to transmit on frequencies allocated to ham radio, and if no one is listening on those frequencies you're SOL.

Baofengs are easy to program with CHIRP. You can download the CHIRP file with GMRS FRS MURS...etc in many places. Here's one radiofreeq.wordpress.com

Radios are not a very good emergency device. They are great if you want to talk to Bob in camo pants that monitors that frequency when you reach a summit.

You really don't want HAM to talk to your tour partners. It's not meant for private communication. GMRS is reasonably uncluttered in the mountains and no one give a fuck if you tx at 8W and you don't have to adhere to any communication standards. Get them off aliexpress.