Page 15 of 100 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    My biggest complaint with my hightower is the lack of water bottle cages. Having moved from a camelbak to a fanny pack it makes carrying water a pain.

Paid entirely too much from Ze Germans for a set of new Magura Shiftmix 4 adapters (for Shimano EV). Now I can put both my brakes and my shift levers where I want them, rather than compromising for both.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	338886

I grabbed a Problem Solvers bottle cage height adapter too. I originally wanted to use it to fit a small (20oz) bottle on the lower mount of my size 2 ridEgg frame, and it looked like it might work, but it would have taken another height shim and the bottle would have rubbed the frame both front and back. But mounting it on the upper points lets me use a large (24 oz) bottle up there. There's actually about 5mm clearance front & rear, despite what the photo shows.

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	338885

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    Have you tried the SQlab 30X bar? I get some elbow pain and switching to this bar helped a bit since it has more backsweep and puts your hands in a more neutral position. I also just put on push on grips instead of lock ons because I'm thinking that getting rid of the hard plastic core will be beneficial.
    Ive kind of gone the other way with less sweep to fit my shoulders. The bars with more sweep were the first thing i noticed wrist pain. We all fit a bit different i guess. Companies probably should offer different sweep bars. I do want to try an sqlabs saddle though. They seem to make quality stuff.
    Im also thinking of getting rid of lock ons for the same resson you say. I had some grip glue in my cart but hesitated on that order so its still waiting. Hairspray worked ok but i think id like to try proper grip glue. Lock ons are so convenient but i have to go back to non lock ons for another try
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    OneUp bar is nice. It feels much better than the Race Face carbon bars I'd run previously. I've got a couple friends running them too who feel the same way.
    Good comparison. I had race face aliminium then sixc carbon as the last bars i had before i went to less sweep because the race face didnt fit me and were painful after a day of lifts. One ups are on the list

What about revgrips ? Anyone try these

https://revgrips.com/collections/rac...es-grip-system

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I tried 2 rides on the RC TNT (as a potential replacement for Impact Pros). Big nope from me. I had to size up from 9.5 to 10, and ended up with exactly the same footbed size. First ride on the TNTs: their special insole was squishy and inefficient pedaling, the midsole transmits a ton of vibration while descending leading to sore feet, and their "max grip" rubber was coming off my pedals constantly, even on small 1" roots. Second ride I switched to SuperFeet Blacks and that fixed the pedaling. I slowed rebound way down, but I still couldn't stay on the pedals, and my feet still ached on a 3 minute descent. I'm reaching out to Jenson to see if they'll take them as a used return because these are unrideable for me. Back to Impact Pros.
    See if you can find a pair of Ride Concepts Powerlines - they are burlier than the TNT.

The Powerlines' rubber is not quite as soft and grippy as my OG Freeriders, which I definitely miss. But the Powerlines are superior in every other way. More breathable, better protection, better fit, better materials, better comfiness, better stylo, etc.

(I have to swap out footbeds because I'm a grandpa and prone to Morton's neuroma.)

On that note, Ride Concepts has everything 20% off right now. Just grabbed their Transition (clipless). Will A/B against 5.10 Kestrels, which don't fit me that well.
    Last edited by meter-man; 09-02-2020 at 05:18 PM.
    sproing!

Trashed a tire last weekend and decided to try something with actual grip. Not sure how I'm going to handle this after years of riding xc tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Trashed a tire last weekend and decided to try something with actual grip. Not sure how I'm going to handle this after years of riding xc tires.

Well, if you're anything like me, you'll find yourself WAY inside on the corners for a bit. I found myself actually off-trail on the inside of turns several times because the fucking tires actually went where I steered.

I've been begging for a good BOA flat pedal shoe for ages now. These finally came to market, with little fanfare, just as my Ride Concepts crapped out. So we'll see if they're worth the Pearl price markup.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 3.03.12 PM.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	339220

Since I’m a jong and bought my wife a used bike with 29 wheels in a 27.5 shock I bought some new 27.5 wheels so I can ride without fear of locking up the front tire on the fork bridge.

29r wheels are nice dt Swiss package. Not sure if I’ll use for backups for now and save em for a future build or sell em off.

Name:	IMG_1409.JPG 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	339231

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Since I’m a jong and bought my wife a used bike with 29 wheels in a 27.5 shock I bought some new 27.5 wheels so I can ride without fear of locking up the front tire on the fork bridge.

29r wheels are nice dt Swiss package. Not sure if I’ll use for backups for now and save em for a future build or sell em off.

Name:	IMG_1409.JPG 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	339231
    I’m currently in the hunt for some 29r wheels for a single speed....

Just purchased this from SnowDay for the build: Carbon SRAM crank

Name:  AB4D2C9E-6B5F-43AD-87DF-D4413D8F5AAE.jpeg
Views: 508
Size:  533.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Im also thinking of getting rid of lock ons for the same resson you say. I had some grip glue in my cart but hesitated on that order so its still waiting. Hairspray worked ok but i think id like to try proper grip glue. Lock ons are so convenient but i have to go back to non lock ons for another tryGood comparison. .

https://revgrips.com/collections/rac...es-grip-system

YMMV but when I used hairspray to put some ODI grips on a town bike they would slip when ever they got wet and stick when they dried out, did that even 20 yrs later

plain alcohol was ok
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:	Bont.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	339300
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    YMMV but when I used hairspray to put some ODI grips on a town bike they would slip when ever they got wet and stick when they dried out, did that even 20 yrs later

plain alcohol was ok
    Get some clear spray paint, spray on the inside of the grips, then slide them on and let dry.

Get some clear spray paint, spray on the inside of the grips, then slide them on and let dry.
    Or just go with foolproof lock-ons. I'm too lazy to look back and see what anyone thinks is a downside to them, but once I did lock-ons, I've never considered going back. The newer style, with just the inboard side locks, are nice, as the outboard metal gets chewed up and sharp, from laying the bike down.

Spray paint would seem hard to get the grips off, and would leave residue that would be (very) tough to get off, next grip change. Hairspray sucks - works whilst dry, but once wet is worse than nothing at all (acts like lube); gave that up > 20 years ago.

Ditched my rear, 2.5" Minion DHF, for a 2.4" Dissector.

Main motivation was clearance (sketchy on the DHF 2.5, which cleared, but barely, and despite hitting hardly any mud on them, they brought enough munge through to strip much paint from my chainstay yoke). 2nd motivation was rolling resistance. Didn't want to go the 2.4" DHR route, as they reportedly roll like squares. Dissector does seem to roll significantly better than the DHF. Comes at a slight traction price: drifted just slightly at times in hard cornering (but nicely and predictably - no stress), where the DHF probs would not have budged. Which is totally fine...in the rear.

Still have a DHF 2.5" up front, and the DHF/Dissector combo is great so far, and absolutely crushed a very steep, extended, techy (like: don't lose focus for even a split second) DH this weekend.

And...finally made the switch to flats. Been riding clipless (which should be called "clip-ins"...duh) for 20+ years. Really not much difference in feel - mostly forgot I'd changed anything. Getting "in" is similar: sometimes you nail it first try, sometimes you have to lift and reposition a few times to get it right ("right" meaning either clipped in, or positioned decently vs the flat pedal pins). Getting "out" is obviously more seamless: already saved me from likely pain, in an especially awkward, unintentional "dismount" (crash), where I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten out and would've gone tumbling off the side of the trail, but managed to land on my feet (if *just* barely).

I did get my feet bounced off the pedals a couple of times (not off-off, but bounced into a non-ideal position), but that I think is where they say flats make you a better rider, enforcing the heavy-feet-light-hands-and-light-ass concept: I got lazy and had my weight on the saddle through a rough bit on the downhill (of course you can sit down to rest, but when things get rough: heavy feet help immensely, on the up or down).

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Or just go with foolproof lock-ons. I'm too lazy to look back and see what anyone thinks is a downside to them, but once I did lock-ons, I've never considered going back. The newer style, with just the inboard side locks, are nice, as the outboard metal gets chewed up and sharp, from laying the bike down.

Spray paint would seem hard to get the grips off, and would leave residue that would be (very) tough to get off, next grip change. Hairspray sucks - works whilst dry, but once wet is worse than nothing at all (acts like lube); gave that up > 20 years ago.
    Lock-ons are certainly more convenient, but with push ons you get more rubber for a given grip diameter which equals more dampening. The hard plastic core of lock ons is way more uncomfortable than a push on.

I like the esi foam grips and just give the grip and bar a nice spray of isopropyl alcohol. Slides on then stays in place.

As far as what I've bought lately, working on getting the light setup working a little better. Have a cheapo led magicshine knockoff with a dead battery, bought a replacement on ebay for $20 and so that seems to work again. I also picked up a light and motion taz 1200 as a handlebar light. My urban 500 is alright but does not cut it for going downhill on like a gravel road at night and the beam pattern is narrow. Comparing the helmet light and new taz on the wall they seem pretty similar in brightness but the taz has a wider beam (that cheap light claims something like 1000-1200 lumens).

Probably going to replace my bell super while i'm at it since it's pretty old now and the padding is coming apart. Giro Montaro seems nice and has a pretty solid mount on the top. And should probably get some new warm shoes.
    Last edited by jamal; 09-09-2020 at 06:50 PM.

Lock-ons are certainly more convenient, but with push ons you get more rubber for a given grip diameter which equals more dampening. The hard plastic core of lock ons is way more uncomfortable than a push on.
    Makes sense. I've got pretty big mitts and ride LS Northshore grips (and similar but goopy Oury ones before that), which are pretty fat. Plenty of rubber, so never gave it a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I like the esi foam grips
    Next time I replace grips I'm going to go with these. I've had multiple folks recommend them without reservations...

Just installed a 210mm OneUp dropper on my Occam. Might need to shim it down to 200 or replace the saddle with something that has lower profile rails. Still can't ride so making the bike more appealing is a great way to torture myself.

I anyone is interested in the original Orbea OC2 post hit me up. It's a 150mm, 31.6 diameter, never ridden. I'll let it go for cheap.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Got the evoc pro 3L hip pack
    Very comfortable and well designed
    Think I will like it when I don’t have to carry my bell super full face add on attachment

Name:	IMG_1881.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	339574

Name:	IMG_1882.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	339575

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

First ride on this bike since moving the High Roller II from the front to the rear, because the side knobs were undercutting a lot and feeling squirmy. (New DHF on the front.) Center knobs look fine so I didn't want to throw it out just yet.

Bike feels slower and draggier than the other bike that has a DHR II on the rear. Looking at this tire, I don't understand how it can roll as slow as it does, but damn...

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Got the evoc pro 3L hip pack
    [/url]
    So..."hip pack", not fanny pack, LOL! All you need are some Flashdance-style, fuzzy leg warmers to go with it!

JK, my wife just got that same one and loves it - may be going that same route myself.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

plain alcohol was ok
    Ya same here. I have grip glue in my order cart waiting for the next order

Ordered one of these today, maybe delivery in February?

https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/altitude/2021-0?tid=73
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident