Page 57 of 100 FirstFirst ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2496
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm pondering upgrading pedals from Time MX6 (380 g) to Speciale 8 (192g). Saving 188 g of rotating weight for $150 seems worth it. Thoughts?

eta: Hmmm, BC.com lists 96 g/pedal for the Speciales, but a deeper look at Time's website says 196 g/pedal. Shenanigans! What a joke BC.com has become.
    I liked the mx6's a little better. Functionally they're essentially identical, but my Speciale 8's creak a little bit sometimes. They're easily silenced with a drop of lube, but I don't recall every having that issue with the mx's.

The speciale's do look better and weigh less though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    The speciale's do look better and weigh less though.
    Have you weighed them yourself? BC.com's specs were erroneous, their Live Chat monkey confirmed that the Speciales are 196 g/pedal. Time says the MX6 is 190 g/pedal so there's no weight savings. It's not worth the cost for me just for a better-looking pedal.

Have you weighed them yourself? BC.com's specs were erroneous, their Live Chat monkey confirmed that the Speciales are 196 g/pedal. Time says the MX6 is 190 g/pedal so there's no weight savings. It's not worth the cost for me just for a better-looking pedal.
    I weighed them a while back. I think they were a little lighter, but not enough to make any real difference. I definitely wouldn't upgrade just for weight savings.

I only upgraded because my mx6's finally broke.

Getting stoked. Just need the bikes to show up.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I seem to wind up doing a lot of little projects around the xc course and decided I needed some of my own tools.

Name:  PXL_20220510_185316535.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  365.4 KB

Put them to good use today. The city ripped down our flyover so we needed a new way to get from the descent to the finish line.

jamal, do you like one more than the other? Trying to convince myself a $100 hoe is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Not sure it's an "upgrade" but I just swapped out a Push Elevensix in favor of a Cane Creek Kitsuma air. I'll be taking the Smash bikepacking and wanted something to accommodate the extra weight without having to mess with multiple springs. I have a ways to go dialing in the Kitsuma, I need to drop pressure pretty low to get near 30% sag, even with all damping way open. Not really sure how to best go about dialing in HSC and HSR, even at 20-25% sag I'm blowing through travel.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Not sure it's an "upgrade" but I just swapped out a Push Elevensix in favor of a Cane Creek Kitsuma air. I'll be taking the Smash bikepacking and wanted something to accommodate the extra weight without having to mess with multiple springs. I have a ways to go dialing in the Kitsuma, I need to drop pressure pretty low to get near 30% sag, even with all damping way open. Not really sure how to best go about dialing in HSC and HSR, even at 20-25% sag I'm blowing through travel.
    I have volume reducing bands for that shock, bought and never used (sold the shock without ever riding it). They might help, if you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll put in the mail for you. They're cheap as hell at baseline but at least they won't languish in my parts box if I send them to you.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Definitely set your Smash to "Crush" mode (not "Plush"). Plush / Gravity modes on GG bikes aren't super progressive. I'm not sure if the Kitsuma has a bottom out bumper so if you're blowing through travel, that might also be why you're noticing the bottom outs. The large volume air shocks are also pretty linear, so you'll probably want to add at least a band or 2. Also, are you making sure you cycle the shock multiple times as you air it up to equalize chambers? 20% sag seems quite low and something is wrong.

I run my Megatrail in Trail mode (more progressive) at ~28% sag with an EXT Storia (hydraulic bottom out). Try shooting for about that, and then set the LSC about 3/4 of the way open, and the HSC about halfway open to start.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    jamal, do you like one more than the other? Trying to convince myself a $100 hoe is worth it.

The 70HR is awesome, clears organic material, can cut trail like you would with a mattock but it takes a wider bite, is good at creating a nice smooth backslope, and is wide enough to pull that material out of the way. Not quite as good at raking and moving stuff around compared to a full mcloed but it cuts good. And I like to use a flat shovel for finishing and shaping most of the time.

And then I'd rather use a pulaski than a cutter/mattock when the ground is harder or I have roots to deal with.

Also it was in stock at the fire supply store when I was getting the pulaski and only $63 so how could I not buy it. They had the triangular ones with a rake on one side too but I think I'll just get myself a mcloed too.
    Last edited by jamal; 05-11-2022 at 10:40 PM.

What have you bought/upgraded today.

Yeah weight difference is negligible, but there are other reasons to sport for the Speciale. The MX have round bars vs square on the Speciale which for whatever reason work better and last longer. Speciale has a tension adjustment which I didn’t think I’d care about but turns out I really like. I also prefer the smaller cage of the Speciale and it seems to be a bit lower profile. YMMV, IMO, etc.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I bought Pandora’s box for $65. Mongoose Fireball Moto DJ that was poorly paint stripped. Think I’m going to sand it down and maybe clear coat raw aluminum. Building up as pumptrack bike for my 11y/o and friends to borrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I have volume reducing bands for that shock, bought and never used (sold the shock without ever riding it). They might help, if you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll put in the mail for you. They're cheap as hell at baseline but at least they won't languish in my parts box if I send them to you.
    Thanks man, pm incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Definitely set your Smash to "Crush" mode (not "Plush"). Plush / Gravity modes on GG bikes aren't super progressive. I'm not sure if the Kitsuma has a bottom out bumper so if you're blowing through travel, that might also be why you're noticing the bottom outs. The large volume air shocks are also pretty linear, so you'll probably want to add at least a band or 2. Also, are you making sure you cycle the shock multiple times as you air it up to equalize chambers? 20% sag seems quite low and something is wrong.

I run my Megatrail in Trail mode (more progressive) at ~28% sag with an EXT Storia (hydraulic bottom out). Try shooting for about that, and then set the LSC about 3/4 of the way open, and the HSC about halfway open to start.
    Yeah, it's in crush. Hopefully volume spacers help, but I'm pretty shocked I found the 11-6 Coil more supportive than a relatively damped air can.

Thanks man, pm incoming

Yeah, it's in crush. Hopefully volume spacers help, but I'm pretty shocked I found the 11-6 Coil more supportive than a relatively damped air can.
    I pretty much always find coil shocks more supportive (at least in mid-stroke) than air shocks. Less stiction means you can run a little bit higher spring rate for the same initial feel, leading to more support. And the newer 11-6s have hydraulic bottom out plus a big bumper, so it will feel bottomless.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I pretty much always find coil shocks more supportive (at least in mid-stroke) than air shocks. Less stiction means you can run a little bit higher spring rate for the same initial feel, leading to more support. And the newer 11-6s have hydraulic bottom out plus a big bumper, so it will feel bottomless.
    Yeah, the 11-6 has maybe the best mid-stroke support and bottom out resistance of any shock I've ever ridden. The one I rode was pretty mediocre on small bump sensitivity though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, the 11-6 has maybe the best mid-stroke support and bottom out resistance of any shock I've ever ridden. The one I rode was pretty mediocre on small bump sensitivity though.
    Interesting, I would say that is one of the main arguments to go coil.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Interesting, I would say that is one of the main arguments to go coil.
    Agreed. And it was the main reason I didn't buy an 11-6.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Yeah weight difference is negligible, but there are other reasons to sport for the Speciale. The MX have round bars vs square on the Speciale which for whatever reason work better and last longer. Speciale has a tension adjustment which I didn’t think I’d care about but turns out I really like. I also prefer the smaller cage of the Speciale and it seems to be a bit lower profile. YMMV, IMO, etc.
    I went from MX6, which I love, to the Speciale 8 too. I notice the lower profile in improved terrain clearance. I think the MX are *slightly* easier to get into and I think the round bars last longer but time time will tell, haha. So far very happy with the Speciales on two bikes. As far as weight, they're slightly lighter than the MX6, and slightly lighter than XTR trails last I looked so that works for me.

Thanks man, pm incoming

I'm light and I've always run the max in volume spacers in all my rear air shocks. Before they even existed I made my own. It's just the only way I've been able to get enough support and bottom out resistance while still having some decent small bump compliance. Sounds like you know coil is for sure the way to go for performance but for your application I'd want to have an air option that works too. I have the same experience as you with coil shocks being more supportive. I also find them more sensitive, at least the ones I've ridden, especially the Storia I'm on now.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Huh, I could swear that at some point I read here that the square-bar Times should be avoided.

Huh, I could swear that at some point I read here that the square-bar Times should be avoided.
    I have a vague recollection of Kidwoo saying that a long, long time ago (well before the Speciales existed). I think he was referring to old ATAC's.

I migrated away from my MX's and Z's because all of the round bars eventually broke. So far, I haven't broken anything on 3 sets of Speciales.

Some people have said that here, like toast said, I think it was kidwoo. Maybe he said he straight up broke a bar? There were some older, adjustable, square bar ATACs IIRC. I haven't experienced any of that but I don't have a ton of miles on mine yet. Looking at my other pedals, they're MX8s, not MX6s, only difference is "composite" body vs. plastic? Anyway, the Speciales do have a slightly different mechanism. On my MX round bars, each bar is an independant spring, so four springs. On the Speciales it looks like opposite side bars are connected so, two springs. Theoretically four independant springs is better to me but I haven't had issues with releasing on rock strikes with the Speciales, or any issues either.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Some people have said that here, like toast said, I think it was kidwoo. Maybe he said he straight up broke a bar? There were some older, adjustable, square bar ATACs IIRC. I haven't experienced any of that but I don't have a ton of miles on mine yet. Looking at my other pedals, they're MX8s, not MX6s, only difference is "composite" body vs. plastic? Anyway, the Speciales do have a slightly different mechanism. On my MX round bars, each bar is an independant spring, so four springs. On the Speciales it looks like opposite side bars are connected so, two springs. Theoretically four independant springs is better to me but I haven't had issues with releasing on rock strikes with the Speciales, or any issues either.
    I've had a couple unexpected ejections from rock strikes on my Speciales, but I'm a bit of a hack and ride a lot of jank. I backed the tension down about a half turn from max IIRC, as I found them a little tough to get into at max. I've thought about experimenting with dropping the pins down a bit more and adding tension, but its only happened a couple times.

Can’t wait to put this on my DH bike!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AABF375C-8DC2-4920-908B-295F2E3AC10C.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	416196
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Ooohha a little more subtle than this but same general concept.
    Name:  IMG_3912.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  165.0 KB

New rotors for the big mule:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220513_003753495.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	416201

I was looking for the usual Shimano ones for my other bike and found those, didn't realize Galfer made centerlocks. So far I like them, they seem less bendy despite being the same thickness. Too bad they don't have the 2 mm version in CL, only 6-bolt.
    With the Hayes brakes and MTX brakes pads you could stop a truck, braking power is ridiculous. The only thing I don't link is the lock ring, it's quite a bit thinner than the Shimano one and the tool kept slipping off when I torqued them in place.
    Last edited by Boissal; 05-13-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise