Page 62 of 100 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2489
    Element. You do have to be careful with aftermarket shocks, for sure. I can do some damper/shim tuning to my liking, but it is a new black are to me currently.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    RM Instinct?

Anything special when buying a new shock for a bike? I know some factory shocks have tunes specific to the bike so I've always been hesitant.
    Talk to the frame manufacturer and a reputable bike shop. They might offer some insight into which aftermarket shock you choose.

That shock looks nasty!

What have you bought/upgraded today.

Prime day picked up Oakley Sutro w/ clear lenses for $50. They were marked at 50% off/$75, but order/invoice says $51. Also bought some aftermarket low light lenses which I'm interested in trying. Still need a new trail helmet, but going to shop sometime this week to try one on and buy from shop.
    Last edited by VTskibum; 07-12-2022 at 03:22 PM.

GX AXS upgrade kit. Took 10 min to setup with the only instruction check being the micro adjust. Super slick system. Replacing a Shimano mech. Swapped the pulley wheels and it shifts smooth as butter. Very impressed and I am not a SRAM fan boy.

Which pulley wheels did you put on? I actually prefer the GX ones on my X01 AXS because they use steel bearings instead of ceramic. IME, ceramic bearings die hard and fast in MTB applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Which pulley wheels did you put on? I actually prefer the GX ones on my X01 AXS because they use steel bearings instead of ceramic. IME, ceramic bearings die hard and fast in MTB applications.
    Just bought some Shimano XTR pulley wheels. They were $6 more than the XT version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Just bought some Shimano XTR pulley wheels. They were $6 more than the XT version.
    Ahh gotcha. Didn't realize you were running a SRAMano setup. Using their pulleys probably makes sense for better tooth/chain interface if they bolt in fine.

Santa Cruz Nomad. Gx build with fox 38
    It’s more bike than my trail bike in a good way, but it’s starting to come together. Stoked

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1658000595.204647.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	421626

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Upgraded carbon wheelset, with Berd spokes. Insane needle mover. Hard to explain but the spokes smooth out the trail like nothing else. I’ve been running Carbon wheels for years now but Berd spokes are next level compliance. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1670.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	268.3 KB 
ID:	421634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1669.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	421635

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just got some Bonti Line Elite(?) carbon wheels with the 108 point engagement. Brand new for insanely cheap because reasons. (Take offs from the shop owner's bike. I'm their IT guy. But they are closing :'( )
    Not much of a weight drop over Flows, but I'm guessing much better ride quality. Also, the tires look a little rounder even though the IW is listed as the same and the calipers, I think, measured the same. Could be in my head, but the e13's were a bit square.
    Also, all that time on the bike, the tires were still a bitch to move. That e13 bead is tight af.
    Anyone in the Missoula area want some used Flows in more or less perfect shape? Boost, 6 bolt, Microspline.
    Is it possible for a decent set of carbon wheels to be slow, especially with their flex tuning? They seem slower than the Flows they replaced. They're smooth af, confidence inspiring, and awesome dowhill and around corners, but the bike feels slow going up. It's hard to tell though, since my other bike is a shorter, steeper hardtail with skinnier tires. Both have 32/51 as the low gear with 175mm cranks, and are about the same weight because the hardtail is steel. So those variables are taken out.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Are your tires the same? The carbon may be heavier than the flows. I’ve had flows on hopes that we’re lighter than enve’s

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Overall weight is about the same. When I changed wheels, I moved the tires over. I could swear they sit a little rounder. I don't think it's in my head. They still measure to size, though.
    Now that I'm getting better and leaning the bike over, I could see going back to 2.5" DHF's. Maybe with the updates Forekaster out back.
    Ooh, extra soft DHF's maybe.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Getting ready for the new 29erClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4177.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	422172

Shop bro changes his bikes the way most of you change wives with plastic tittys,

so i asked " what the deal with the hi $ carbon rims ?" and figures he can beat the shit out of them plastic hoops and they will not go out of true or require fucking with

he was telling me this as he was fucking with set of aluminium rims
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Shop bro changes his bikes the way most of you change wives with plastic tittys,

so i asked " what the deal with the hi $ carbon rims ?" and figures he can beat the shit out of them plastic hoops and they will not go out of true or require fucking with
    This is true. I got a set of Enves that are damn close to a decade old now. I’ve never bothered with truing or adjusting spoke tension ( internal nipples and cables routed through headsets should do battle for dumbest ideas of all time).
    Eventually you hit critical mass and the entire wheel needs a rebuild. I’ve done that twice on that setup and it’s still going strong. I’m impressed as most AL wheels I’m lucky to get a season out of.

Bro had been doing the 20 rides on a boutique brand with the swapped in set of carbon wheels program and sell but he bought something un-boutique with aluminium wheels and it wasn't quite the same

i think he was all about the We Are One product

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    This is true. I got a set of Enves that are damn close to a decade old now. I’ve never bothered with truing or adjusting spoke tension ( internal nipples and cables routed through headsets should do battle for dumbest ideas of all time).
    Eventually you hit critical mass and the entire wheel needs a rebuild. I’ve done that twice on that setup and it’s still going strong. I’m impressed as most AL wheels I’m lucky to get a season out of.
    100% this. I'm ~6 years in on a set of raceface carbon wheels. Rebuilt them once when the shitty stock spokes started breaking frequently. Other than that, haven't really touched them at all. And those things have seen some fairly serious abuse.

Got a medium and large Element C70 black in stock at my shop, would do a mag discount for you guys. Sorry for the shameless plug, just figured this is a hot bike you guys might be interested in.

I put well over 6k miles on set of 2014ish Reynolds Black Label Trail wheels. Broke one pulling a spike through the rim-bed, which was warranted, but otherwise rarely ever touched them. The original front and replacement rear are still being ridden/raced by a buddy of mine who sold the bike to.

My Roval w straight pull on my Stumpt have about 2k miles on them after breaking a few spokes they did need a rebuild with new spokes, but rim was still really straight. Still run alloy rims on some bikes, but carbon hoops are great for generally reducing faff factor. Have a plus rim dented that I need to re-bend back and have been kicking around replacing w carbon rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summer sale at Chain reaction so I picked up a new Minion DHRII DD for the rear, some grips, some new pedals and a bottle of squirt to kick that total up for the free shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Getting ready for the new 29erClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4177.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	422172
    Please post up some measurements on those tires once they're mounted. Older discussion of those tires said the 2.35s weren't much/any bigger than the 2.25s. I picked up a 2.6 mezcal at one point thinking it might be undersized and it is freaking enormous. I'd love to know if the 2.35s are true to size.

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    Please post up some measurements on those tires once they're mounted. Older discussion of those tires said the 2.35s weren't much/any bigger than the 2.25s. I picked up a 2.6 mezcal at one point thinking it might be undersized and it is freaking enormous. I'd love to know if the 2.35s are true to size.
    Will do. Although the 29 tires will be mounted on 35mm wheels so they won’t be quite what most people are running.

Fwiw the Mezcal 2.35 in 27.5 on a 30mm rim was spot on 2.35. But yeah my 2.6 Barzo was massive.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Summer sale at Chain reaction so I picked up a new Minion DHRII DD for the rear, some grips, some new pedals and a bottle of squirt to kick that total up for the free shipping
    Just bought a bunch of things I don't need from that sale, bunch of reasonably priced handlebars to try out different cockpit rise/height and a few tools.

Got really excited seeing a carbon Hydra + Reynolds wheelset (27.5 plus/40mm internal) for ~$550, about pulled the trigger until realized it was superboost 157 rear, which now makes sense b/c stupid bike 'standards'. Almost still makes sense for front wheel and rim and then rebuild rear, but decided it's not worth it for me. Might be worth the effort for that price though.

After 2 creaky crowns and 1 set of worn bushings on my Mezzer Pro (none of which were available when trying to warranty), I bought a '21 Lyrik Ultimate on sale. First couple rides felt great.

My mezcal 2.25s on 30mm rims measure 2.35-2.4ish. I put the 2.25s next to the 2.35s and couldn't really discern a difference with the casings sort of folded flat next to each other. Barzos seem to be a tiny bit smaller. and yeah the 2.6s are huge.

As for what I've bought lately, aside from little maintenance things and replacing a few broken parts and a helmet I went awhile without any major purchases. Now have a trek procaliber and the new fancy bontrager xc wheels coming. Hoping to see the bike by the end of next month if the etas are anywhere near correct. Just picked the one with the earliest availability (9.6) but it doesn't have a build I like very much so it's going to be a bit of a project. A too expensive project. Thinking about buying a frame of some sort to put together a complete bike with the take off parts to sell.
    Last edited by jamal; 08-03-2022 at 06:45 PM.