Page 53 of 100 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2489
    Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Nice, that’s on my list for next bike. Will be interested to hear your opinion. (Yea, I still ride)

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    We need to get together. I'll let you know when the new whip arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Whelp, I'm pretty sure after 11,000 miles my Evil The Following is just about used up. It's a good thing tax season was kind.

Your new bike weighs 1/2#!!! Talk about down country!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Your new bike weighs 1/2#!!! Talk about down country!!
    Shit, I was hoping for 30#. That fuckers gonna float up the trails.

Shit, I was hoping for 30#. That fuckers gonna float up the trails.
    Yeah bud! I've got the Izzo Pro Race, which is the Core 4 but with a Fox dropper and XMC1200 wheels; a smidge lighter. My large was 27.2lbs before pedals and a bottle cage. With everything and a tube/multi tool I'm right above 28lbs.

Thanks to all the help on the Ask The Experts thread (!!) I switched the 125mm dropper that came on my new Capra for a 170mm PNW Loam

Couldn't resist matching the grips and lever with that peanut brown while I was at it either...

Install was actually super easy, and it did work with the already-installed lever and cable on the bike (ie just plugging and playing with the post) if I wasn't planning on switching anyway. Max insertion on the (medium) Capra seems to be more than the 238mm YT told me as I can slam that 'max insertion' line past the rubber seal, but I have it about 1cm out for my ideal pedalling height.

Also got a Wolftooth B-Rad medium strap for the top tube mounts:

Comfortably holds a tubolito tube, multitool, 2 tyre levers and a 25g CO2 cartridge + inflator head. Still plan to pick up a hip pack for longer 'adventure' rides but this set up is pretty damn nice for pack-less afterwork laps on the local trails

Trimmed the bars from 800mm down to 780mm too and that made a HUGE difference: the bike feels so much more nimble, so much easy to steer into corners, but also feels like I can lean it and move the bike under me (/move me around the bike) much more.

Tan wall tires for ultimate matchy-matchy?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Tan wall tires for ultimate matchy-matchy?
    Thought had crossed my mind haha

And one of these!

Name:  8A5B1116-18EE-47C3-9831-83D6CF926164.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  10.1 KB

And one of these!

what if your balls get stuck in there?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

That’s actually where I keep them stored out of harms way.

New grips — ahhhh so plush!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3597.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	413918

Built. Maiden voyage today at Klondike Bluffs. Will see Mag 7 and Ahab soon. Shoutout to Dee Hubbs and ssmokan for good deals on parts that made this build possible. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1650592395.279987.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	413920

And one of these!

Or you could get the non hipster version.....

https://us.chromagbikes.com/products...railmaster-ltd

FWIW, They're comfortable AF.

Pulled the trigger on a Ripley v4. First new bike since 2000 (previously riding a 2014 OG Ripley but I bought that used). I was dithering but Ibis just bumped the MSRP on their website by $500, figured I should get it now before the dealer changed their price to match (or just ran out of bikes). Wanted XT but could only find SLX in my size.

What should I upgrade? Thinking of getting the XT 8100 shifter for multi-shift, plus the usual cockpit stuff (saddle and grips). Other than that the SLX parts seem fine, a little heavier but not a big difference. Probably better to plow any leftover funds into a new wheelset. I can always upgrade the drivetrain as stuff wears out.

I rocked these from 90-00’, and would again.

Name:	602D75F7-85CE-4164-AEFD-293E3183B07B.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	413923

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a Ripley v4.
    What should I upgrade? .
    Wheels for sure. My BTLOS 27mm IW rims with DT240 hubs have been great. I put DVO on both ends of mine and it gained back 200g or so but was worth it. The Fox stuff wasn't terrible though. I hate Shimano brakes so I went to Hope 4 pistons (actually lighter than the XT 2p), but SLX brakes are fine if you like the Shimano feel. I like the double upshift on the XT shifter and would say it's worth $73 to have it. Plus then you have a spare.

It's been a great bike. It isn't the new hotness, but I think it pretty much typifies the downcountry segment and remains the benchmark. (Plus Ibis doesn't make a moped, which gives them credibility in my book.)
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

And one of these!

Name:	Image1650602373.236120.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	413933

Not a Brooks, but I got a little carried away with the brownlights.
    Copper chain and cassette for the dorks.

Or you could get the non hipster version.....

https://us.chromagbikes.com/products...railmaster-ltd

FWIW, They're comfortable AF.

I’ve had 3 of these saddles ( 2 dark brown leather and 1 black) and they are pretty damn comfy. I somehow bent a rail on one and Chromag gave me one for half off after multiple years of use so I think that was solid as well!

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a Ripley v4. First new bike since 2000 (previously riding a 2014 OG Ripley but I bought that used). I was dithering but Ibis just bumped the MSRP on their website by $500, figured I should get it now before the dealer changed their price to match (or just ran out of bikes). Wanted XT but could only find SLX in my size.

What should I upgrade? Thinking of getting the XT 8100 shifter for multi-shift, plus the usual cockpit stuff (saddle and grips). Other than that the SLX parts seem fine, a little heavier but not a big difference. Probably better to plow any leftover funds into a new wheelset. I can always upgrade the drivetrain as stuff wears out.
    On my wife's v4 SLX we did the XT shifter, carbon bars, ibis carbon wheels. Will probably do an XT der and cassette down the road.

The upgrade that almost happened...

New bike, XT drivetrain. Wanted an Oval and also to pare some weight... so I was going to get an E13 LG1 Carbon crankset.

But stupid compatibility:
    Need an E13 30mm BB that is $78 to replace the 24mm Shimano and maybe that E13 BB is a few grams heavier.
    Very limited in options for Ovals, only Wolf Tooth makes an oval (CAMO spider) that fits on E13s proprietary direct mount AND is HG+ compatible, and I'd be limited to 32T or 34T, and its 10g heavier than an Absolute Black and $10 more than OneUp.

So all of a sudden I'm not knocking off 106g with carbon cranks, I'm only saving 89g for more $ than I thought.

Boo.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The upgrade that almost happened...

New bike, XT drivetrain. Wanted an Oval and also to pare some weight... so I was going to get an E13 LG1 Carbon crankset.

But stupid compatibility:
    Need an E13 30mm BB that is $78 to replace the 24mm Shimano and maybe that E13 BB is a few grams heavier.
    Very limited in options for Ovals, only Wolf Tooth makes an oval (CAMO spider) that fits on E13s proprietary direct mount AND is HG+ compatible, and I'd be limited to 32T or 34T, and its 10g heavier than an Absolute Black and $10 more than OneUp.

So all of a sudden I'm not knocking off 106g with carbon cranks, I'm only saving 89g for more $ than I thought.

Boo.
    A couple of thoughts:

Absolute black makes an oval that works with e*13 cranks.

The e*13 BB isn't much better than any others - I just swapped one in and it isn't any narrower than the Wheels Mfg that I can tell. I will use the Wheels elsewhere so it was worth a try. That said, any 30mm BB should work.

A difference of 17 grams (89 vs 109) shouldn't be a reason to not do an upgrade IMO. For that matter I'm not sure I'd do an upgrade to save 100g either, but to each his own.

I have a SRAM XO carbon crank and BB that I got from a mag for a good price that I'd pass along if you are interested. You should be able to have more chainring options of you go that route.

Seth

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    A couple of thoughts:

Absolute black makes an oval that works with e*13 cranks.

The e*13 BB isn't much better than any others - I just swapped one in and it isn't any narrower than the Wheels Mfg that I can tell. I will use the Wheels elsewhere so it was worth a try. That said, any 30mm BB should work.

A difference of 17 grams (89 vs 109) shouldn't be a reason to not do an upgrade IMO. For that matter I'm not sure I'd do an upgrade to save 100g either, but to each his own.

I have a SRAM XO carbon crank and BB that I got from a mag for a good price that I'd pass along if you are interested. You should be able to have more chainring options of you go that route.

Seth

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Much appreciated. I guess the question is how important it is to have a HG+ ring instead of a narrow wide when running a shimano train (HG+ cassette).

That's where I'm getting limited... the absoluteblack oval for the E13 is only in narrow-wide, not HG+

^ an HG+ chain will eat your nonHG+ chainring in less that 500km.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    ^ an HG+ chain will eat your nonHG+ chainring in less that 500km.
    good info... that would mean 3 rings a year at least lol! I bet that then eats the chain too?

Basically if I am going to use a Shimano cassette and want an oval, I have to use Shimano cranks or be satisfied with a 32 or 34 wolf tooth. And if I don't want a Shimano cassette I'm going have to swap out the freehub body or buy new wheels, yeesh. Bikes!

Garbaruk has E13, Oval, Boost, HG+ Compatible in 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, in Black, Blue, Gold, Green, Orange Rd, Silver, Purple.