Page 68 of 100 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2497
    He has a 36 on an element?
    Bold strategy!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Kid using his shop connection. It’s arguably over forked and over shocked, but it is really smooth and fast by my gaper standards. Heck, I see guys on spurs with coils.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    After my 2021 Fox Float X2 Factory damper exploded for the second time in a year (15 rides since last Fox warranty rebuild this time), I ordered 2023 Rock Shox Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil after finding one in stock at Pro Bike Supply in CA. Arrived to Canada in a week with no duty/GST which was sweet. Mounted it up yesterday morning and went for a test ride on Seymour and wow I am impressed. I've run coil on previous trail bikes (2019 DHX2 Factory on a Jeffsy) but after just one test ride I am blown away with this shock compared to the X2 which I had setup reasonably well and rode for a year. I ran middle of the road damper settings (neutral HSC, LSC and +1 HBO) and a 550lbs spring (215lbs body weight), didn't even have time to check sag, but the thing just felt so much more plush and glued to the ground on steep rough rooty/rocky terrain than the X2 which always felt pretty harsh no matter what I did. Only did a couple drops but the bottom-out felt similar to the X2 with max volume spacers, nice and controlled without any harshness. Will play around with HBO a bit more to see the impact of running it at max, but I like that you can run a lighter coil/more sag for traction, or more open HSC and just use HBO for end stroke events. I did add about 400g to my bike with the SD Coil vs. X2 Factory but such is life.

I had been thinking about an EXT Storia but this thing was $550 cheaper ($850CAD with spring vs. $1400CAD) and only marginally heavier and has the HBO feature. Could save 100-200ish grams with a Ti spring I think too.

Attachment 428043
    I’ve been running this shock on my Sight since June. It’s an awesome shock, and the external damping adjustments make a noticeable difference.

Another option to consider for a lighter spring is Super Alloy Racing. I got one and it knocked off about 100 g without going to Ti.

One thing to keep an eye out for - I started getting a clicking sound when cycling my suspension. I basically tried everything to get rid of it (new bearings, different spring, new lower hardware) and determined the click was coming from the damper itself. I sent the shock in for warranty and they ended up replacing the entire piggyback assembly.

While the shock was in for warranty, I actually grabbed a cheap used Super Deluxe Select+ air with a Vorsprung custom tune. I actually think the air shock is great on my Sight as well. The Sight is moderately progressive and, after trying different springs, I ended up running a spring weight that was more supportive off the top. I actually find my happy setting on the air shock result in a setup that is more supple off the top, though not quite as supportive mid-stroke when riding hard. I was expecting the air shock to be downgrade but it is debatable which is better or worse on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Kid using his shop connection. It’s arguably over forked and over shocked, but it is really smooth and fast by my gaper standards. Heck, I see guys on spurs with coils.
    You have given me dirty, dirty consumer thoughts.
    I know, I’ll invent quick-release lowers! Those won’t fail or creak, I promise!
    But I think after owning it a year, I probably would be happier with a 140/150 built ‘relatively’ light (as compared to the coil Altitude). But I’ll probably wait until there is an instinct refresh.

Boissal, I like the pike, and think it works great, but this year I have been doing mostly enderpo, park days, and more ‘aggressive’ riding, so the few times a month that I get on the Element, the front end feels like a fairly scary noodle.
    But it does work really, really well.

Kiddo is getting a frame upgrade

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3420192/

After a few trips with seat packs and their annoying swaying, we acquired some Tailfin racks. They are everything they are reputed to be! Zero movement and you can carry way more.

I got the aluminum one so I can mount stuff to the sides on the eyelets. Ms CE got the carbon one bc she's fancy. She also has the Tailfin Aeropack version, where the bag is integrated and very nice. I'm using a Rhinowalk 20L duffel from Ali.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221009_194025.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	429424
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I used one of those Aeroe racks with a cradle on each side on my Element to ride the Colorado trail, and while it worked very well, I'm intrigued by these tailfin racks. I saw Lachlan Morton used the carbon one on his full-suspension bike and also on the CT, which I believe is quite a bit lighter than the Aeroe rack. I too hate large saddle bags, and large handlebar rolls for that matter (wouldn't mind the roll for regular bike touring but not for tons of rugged singletrack, it makes the bike handle poorly in my opinion), so that could be the ticket!

There's not much info on using the Tailfin racks for full suspension, but it's definitely part of their design intent.

They can be mounted to very slick special axles via some QR adapters that also allow pivoting. (Gravel bike have eyelets so we're using those to save a bit of weight.) The rack has another pivot at the junction above the tyre, and yet another just behind the seatpost clamp (also beautifully designed). So, when the suspension compresses, the angle between the horizontal and vertical parts of the rack gets more acute. They also offer an extended seatpost part to get the bag farther back for clearance.

I think it would definitely work, but prob not super well for a bigger travel bike. The main pivots don't have bearings or anything, just tiny plastic bushings. It's prob still by far the best option for FS bikes though.

The carbon arch is super pretty, as well.

I keep saying I'm going to figure out a bike packing type setup and still haven't done it.

Did buy some stuff today since I finally sold the bike I made with all the parts from new procaliber. Pedals, saddle, lockout/dropper combo lever, couple other little things. Almost have everything I need to put it back together, mainly waiting on the sram order for the fork and cassette which might possibly ship this week.

Tailwind looks good, but buy extra links(adapters?) for the connection points. At the start of the Tour Divide this year, a racer was frantically looking to replace one that broke. I can't imagine they found one that morning. Special parts need a backup, especially when in the backcountry.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Picked up a Ripmo v2 on a late season sale and moved over some of the parts from my Ripley. BTLOS carbon wheels with DT240s and XT cassette, SRAM XX1 cranks with Wolftooth chainring, carbon bars, Ergon grips and saddle, the rest stock SLX with a Bike Yoke dropper. I'll keep the heavy OEM wheels for shuttle/park days. Currently 30.4 lbs with pedals and reasonably hefty tires (2.3 DHF/Aggressor), I'm planning to swap out the Fox 38 for a Mezzer Pro which should get it to around 30. Might also swap out the x2 for something lighter (Float X? Mara Pro?) although I'm liking the way it rides.

Name:	IMG_4300.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	430066

I got 5 seasons out of the Race Face Arc 27 rims that came on my Bronson, but they’re finally done (multiple stress cracks around the nipples). Have always been happy with standard aluminum rims, but am feeling decadent so treating myself to some Carbon Nobl TR33s, which I’ll get built up locally on my DT 350s. Couldn’t make sense of the various choices, but there aren’t many other options for 27.5, 28 hole, ~27mm, the reviews seem positive, and Nobl offers industry pricing, so I’ll give ‘em a go.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Mara Pro?
    This is clearly the answer if you're putting a Mezzer on it. I'm a huge unabashed Hayes/Manitou homer for several reasons, but the Mara Pro really is an awesome shock. The only real contraindication would be if you're a really big guy, like 200+ lbs. For some reason Manitou uses a fixed-pressure negative spring on the Mara Pro. I've read reports on MTBR (with the boatload of caveats that entails...) of small bump compliance being less than ideal for big guys who need to run more positive pressure. I'm 160 lbs and absolutely love mine; supple off the top with great support and bottom-out resistance. It's better in every respect than the DVO Topaz T3 I was running before.

Just finished building this guy:

Name:	PXL_20221016_162908606.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	430208

It's a 2022 Stumpy with full XT drivetrain, 150mm Pike in the front, DPS in the rear (may soon be replaced by a Mara or other beefier shock), Chinese carbon wheels on DT350s (which have handled 2500 or so hard miles on my previous bike), and Dominion A4s to slow things down.
    29 lbs on the nose with heavy tires that need to be finished off, hoping to go back down to 28ish once I get back to a more appropriate casing. Might put a Mezzer Pro in the front if the Pike feels too noodly but that might overwhelm the 130mm rear with flex stays. Now that I have an enduro pig for rowdy riding the trail bike doesn't need to be quite as beefy... This guy feels real snappy when bouncing around and spinning about the neighborhood, can't wait to ride it!

Frame/shock + fork, parts of the drivetrain and the cockpit came from a local mag who was super accommodating and kept a bunch of stuff for his next build so I didn't have to strip and resell half the bike. Thanks g_man80!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    This is clearly the answer if you're putting a Mezzer on it. I'm a huge unabashed Hayes/Manitou homer for several reasons, but the Mara Pro really is an awesome shock. The only real contraindication would be if you're a really big guy, like 200+ lbs. For some reason Manitou uses a fixed-pressure negative spring on the Mara Pro. I've read reports on MTBR (with the boatload of caveats that entails...) of small bump compliance being less than ideal for big guys who need to run more positive pressure. I'm 160 lbs and absolutely love mine; supple off the top with great support and bottom-out resistance. It's better in every respect than the DVO Topaz T3 I was running before.
    Thanks, ordered the Mara Pro. I'm 170 lbs so sounds like it should work.

Got this for $400 on Pinkbike. Super stoked.

Name:	EC0E274A-20B0-4EE2-8007-52B35FFE79F0.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	430602
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by parkmeister View Post
    Got this for $400 on Pinkbike. Super stoked.

Name:	EC0E274A-20B0-4EE2-8007-52B35FFE79F0.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	430602
    Smoking deal, haven’t seen one for my frame less than $850 yet

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

^^^Nice!

Two years after deciding I was too broken, old, and scared for long travel bikes I've decided I miss the extra travel so...

Name:	9F63F90B-C33C-4760-ABF6-5DFB08EC7E26.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	611.9 KB 
ID:	430619

Accepting your thoughts and prayers for my physical well-being, hahaha!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Operation “Drop three pounds off of my wife’s bike for her birthday” proved successful. Built her a 1450 gram Wheelset, Ti pedals, Carbon bar. She should be happy. She is only 120# soaking wet, she can run racer-weenie stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Accepting your thoughts and prayers for my physical well-being, hahaha!
    Beauty. And I bet you'll eat shit less on that thing than on a small travel rig. Big bikes are much better at saving you from yourself while little bikes are always waiting for the moment to knife you.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I concur. I did a few rides this year trying (but also not trying?) to ride the 120/130 like my 170/170, and it was freakin’ SCARY. I’m sloppy enough I need that margin of error.

All the new canfields look fn good. Raw aluminium ftw

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Man I miss big beefy coil shocks.

Pretty stoked!

Definitely agree on margin for error, I need it! My Tilt is firmly in "trail" category but letting go of the brakes in the rough stuff has scared me more than a few times.

And Raw Alu is as hot as ever.

That coil is within an ounce or two of the Float X2 on my old bike, and it's both more sensitive AND more supportive. Amazing.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Ms CE tried out her new Magura brakes today and gave detailed feedback: " They seem fine."

The struggle is real.