Page 44 of 100 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2497
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I just replaced my 2018 Hightower with a brand new 2022 Tallboy4. It’s a goddamn sex machine.

Big props to Joetron who did the build and swapped some old parts and provided some badly needed new-parts-bling. If you don’t know, joetron recently became the proud new owner of the famed Durango Cyclery, and it’s great seeing the new life he’s bringing to the place. Also, he’s already an active member of the community, attending city council meetings and seemingly plugging in with some good peeps around town. Not to mention, he’s a super nice guy and (apparently) a good wrench. If you want to support an LBS and a rad-dude, you should buy parts and bikes from him.

I was planning on using my 2018 Fox 36 but the steertube was too short. And it just so happens that he had a brand new Pike Ultimate in the shop. Some things were meant to happen, and I’m so stoked with how the fork feels. Also, he had a float DPS in my size, in-stock. I had Diaz do what Diaz does before it was ever even put on the frame.

Otherwise, new cassette, chain and chainring. New rotors, new pads and a fresh bleed. New stem (chromag HIFI 35 bling).

Same brakes (guides), same post (reverb), same wheels (Light bicycle/350).

The bike feels SO good. I’ve taken it on some chunk and have found found the edge of the rear travel, but never in a harsh way. It seems to ramp up hard at the very end of the stoke, but is right back in the stable-range immediately. The Pike at 140 seems just as stiff as my (maybe a little clapped out) 36.

I’m getting more bobbing when climbing in the rear than I’d like if I’m in wide-open mode, super solid in the middle setting. I’m gonna up the PSI on the shock next ride and see if I can provide a better pedaling platform with it wide open. Otherwise, even with the super low shock position, reaching the lever is not a problem.

I’m wayyy more comfortable climbing which I’m sure is the result of a longer steer tube on the pike and the shorter stem. I feel more comfortable than I did on my smaller frame Hightower and shorter steerer. I had a cervical vertebrae fracture a year ago and have been super uncomfortable on my bike. Until now. I rode nearly 40 miles with a shit ton of climbing over the weekend with no back pain.

Sorry for the long post, I’m just so stoked about my new bike I thought I should share.

Attachment 390741
    Attachment 390742
    Congrats on the new whip! Looks sweet!

Out of curiosity…why Tallboy instead of V2 Hightower?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Out of curiosity…why Tallboy instead of V2 Hightower?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I went around and around on it. I’ve heard the TB4 is super capable even though it’s only 120. I swung a leg over each and was just more drawn to the TB. It was a tough call, but I’m stoked on my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Can’t say, exactly. But he does some kind of custom tune.
    I have two rides on my Runt'd Pike and custom tune DPS and whatever he does is magic. I rode Extended Raiders Ridge a couple days ago and it has never felt that good.

Do you know what the DPS tune cost alone? Curious if it can be as good as a stock floatx. Or if a Floatx with a Diaz tune would be the 'best' option? I do some really long tech descents (sometimes 9000 ft descending). In my experience, in line shocks get overwhelmed, and overheat.
    Last edited by rideit; 10-29-2021 at 07:41 PM.

There's no substitute for a reservoir. The inline shocks just don't have enough oil volume or cooling capacity. If you're descending from 14,000 to 5,000 in one go you will absolutely benefit from a piggyback shock.

Tune will only affect the response to input -- go for it if you want smoother action or better bottoming resistance etc. But if your complaint is that the shock behaves differently after 20 mins of high speed descending, you need a reservoir.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Yes, that is confirmation of my experience. One ride we do goes from 10,500 to the ocean! (Perú)
    Sounds like I will try the stock Float X first, and go from there. And possibly a Storia for the big days.

What have you bought/upgraded today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1635994283.177106.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	391521

I don’t mind wearing a backpack for long rides but I’m excited about Wolftooths(overpriced) b-rad system. This will be a good setup for longer rides when I feel like ditching the pack but need a layer or extra food.

Black pump bag holds a tube, patch kit, basic repair kit.

1L bag will hold layer, water filter, food

I got the smaller b-rad pouch on my Occam, liking it a lot. Tube, CO2+inflator+bacon kit, tire levers, multitool, bunch of zipties, nests nicely in the front triangle just like yours. Allowed me to empty the fanny of everything except the pump and shove a jacked in there to ride in cold ass weather.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yes, that is confirmation of my experience. One ride we do goes from 10,500 to the ocean! (Perú)
    Sounds like I will try the stock Float X first, and go from there. And possibly a Storia for the big days.
    I can't imagine ever going back to a non-reservoir shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I got the smaller b-rad pouch on my Occam, liking it a lot. Tube, CO2+inflator+bacon kit, tire levers, multitool, bunch of zipties, nests nicely in the front triangle just like yours. Allowed me to empty the fanny of everything except the pump and shove a jacked in there to ride in cold ass weather.
    I tried the b-rad on my izzo, but the spacing didn't quite work with my bottle mount below. Now have a High Above Dark Matter Tube Strap and looking for recs on bag/sleeve/pouch for my tube+co2+levers+tool to live in. Anybody have one they love?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    I tried the b-rad on my izzo, but the spacing didn't quite work with my bottle mount below. Now have a High Above Dark Matter Tube Strap and looking for recs on bag/sleeve/pouch for my tube+co2+levers+tool to live in. Anybody have one they love?
    I have the wolf tooth 1L bag which they make in a 0.6L as well. The thing feels paper thin and don’t think it’s going to hold up. It looks like dyneema but definitely is not.

I’ve been looking at the Bedrock Bags Sinbad 0.6 which I’ll probably get once the wolf tooth shreds. They look like a well built bag with several mounting options

I use a stock stem bag from FBJ products [https://www.fbjcreations.com/] on my Occam. Easy enough to remove for gravel or fat bike. Holds tube and tool roll a d multitool perfectly. Remember to put clear wrap under any of the velcro attachments.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Any wheel experts here or people that stayed in a Holiday Inn last night?

I bought the 2022 Hightower (Carbon S Build), and have bought a couple things that I want to upgrade over the winter, and have two more things I want, one of which I am set on, the other is my hubs/wheels.

The bike came with E13 Hubs on Race Face AR rims. It could of come with DT Swiss 370s that I could of converted to 350s...but I got the short stick there. For hubs, I was thinking of going with I9. The question is, do I go with a good set of AL rims like the DT Swiss EX 511 (any other suggestion?) and Hydra Hubs, or We Are One Carbon and the 101 hubs?

Will I even notice the difference between Hydra and 101 and just do the AL rims with the 101s? (save $275)

Riding here in the RFV, days at Snowmass, trips to Fruita/Moab a couple times year.

Thanks for the help!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Thanks dudes, but I think this is more the direction I was hoping for: https://76projects.com/collections/s...ts/piggy-pouch

Simple bag (like the WT 0.6L, but without the strap) that I can strap into my Dark Matter. Shoulda shopped more last spring and found the Dakine or Race Face tool holder+tube wrapped in a strap.

I blew the budget last year on we are one's december sale for hydras and unions for 30% off. Was debating the same questions as you and decided the potentially increased durability and bling of the hydra was worth my bonus money. Engagement wise will be a wash, I can tell the hydras are faster than the kings I have on another bike but only if I am trying to, both are more than adequate.

Rim wise I went from a soft e13 to the hydra and a year later it is still true and stiff, where a year old alloy rim is already beat to crap.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Any wheel experts here or people that stayed in a Holiday Inn last night?

I bought the 2022 Hightower (Carbon S Build), and have bought a couple things that I want to upgrade over the winter, and have two more things I want, one of which I am set on, the other is my hubs/wheels.

The bike came with E13 Hubs on Race Face AR rims. It could of come with DT Swiss 370s that I could of converted to 350s...but I got the short stick there. For hubs, I was thinking of going with I9. The question is, do I go with a good set of AL rims like the DT Swiss EX 511 (any other suggestion?) and Hydra Hubs, or We Are One Carbon and the 101 hubs?

Will I even notice the difference between Hydra and 101 and just do the AL rims with the 101s? (save $275)

Riding here in the RFV, days at Snowmass, trips to Fruita/Moab a couple times year.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I blew the budget last year on we are one's december sale for hydras and unions for 30% off. Was debating the same questions as you and decided the potentially increased durability and bling of the hydra was worth my bonus money. Engagement wise will be a wash, I can tell the hydras are faster than the kings I have on another bike but only if I am trying to, both are more than adequate.

Rim wise I went from a soft e13 to the hydra and a year later it is still true and stiff, where a year old alloy rim is already beat to crap.
    I will definitely have to watch for the sale. Was it just on their website and did they ship to the states? I see you are "bank in Seattle" but wasn't sure when, etc. The upgrade from 101s to Hydra's on their site is only $215.

WAO historically does a black Friday deal, usually announced on the Downtime podcast.

My standard transfer doesn't like fully returning short distances especially when cold, plus it's heavy.

Name:	PXL_20211106_162308613.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	391854

Think listed weight for this one (31.6, 100mm) is 359g so a little over what they say. My 2020 170mm transfer is something like 615g. Still over 1/2 lb saving, which should drop the hei hei under 26 with xc tires. Wonder how I'm going to like the 2 position only and only 100mm post. Going to send mine in for service and have it as a spare or to put back in if i don't like the SL or sell it I guess. Also considered the divine SL but figured if I was going to swap for the sake of weight I should get the lightest one. (the dt swiss is cool but doesn't come in this diameter. Next hardtail will prob have one though).
    Last edited by jamal; 11-06-2021 at 08:40 PM.

I think this says a lot more about what a badass Peaty is than anything else, but it's interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    These look great, but I can't get over the price. Maybe if I run out of valve-stems for some odd reason, but likely not to replace ones I already have.

I'll continue to deal with clogged valve cores.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    These look great, but I can't get over the price.
    With what I spent building my latest bike I don't see any reason to stop now

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    These look great, but I can't get over the price. Maybe if I run out of valve-stems for some odd reason, but likely not to replace ones I already have.

I'll continue to deal with clogged valve cores.
    Price is not egregious in comparison to other fancy-ish presta valves out there. A set of Mucoffs is $30, what's another $20 on top of that?
    Kidding, the fact that a valve can cost $30, let alone $50, damn near kills me. Add the damn roll of DT rim tape for $25 and the sealant and tubes are almost looking appealing again. But, this exactly:

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    With what I spent building my latest bike I don't see any reason to stop now
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

New winter rubber.

Name:	20211110_110634.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	392236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211110_094248.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	392237
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

2020 Rocky Mountain Slayer A50 is a long overdue upgrade to my 2005 Kona CoilerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	slayer.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	392378