Page 60 of 100 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2497
    This bike is so sick. You win the ‘best dad on Sprocket-Rockets’ award for the week!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    This bike is so sick. You win the ‘best dad on Sprocket-Rockets’ award for the week!
    No kidding, that thing is sick! Might have to explore some of the aliexpress for my 50lb 9 y/o. Already gave my son the horribly flexy ‘99 SID and nice carbon bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    Updating my own post here, I have finally finished this COVID-boredom build. Went quite a bit overboard, and also went deep on the Alibaba/carbon knockoff game. I'm not sure I'd advise a fully grown adult to ride this stuff, but for a 40 pound kid I think it is amazing for the value/weight ratio. In fact, most of the stuff seems better built than a bunch of Easton EC90 stuff I paid ridiculous amounts of money for back in the early 00's (and that was at pro-deal prices!). Anyways, attached is the complete build list (new parts in bold), and a couple pictures:

Attachment 418022Attachment 418023Attachment 418024Attachment 418025Attachment 418026

Very happy with the way it turned out, and lost around 6 pounds from stock (!!). It is now just a hair under 15 pounds, which for a 40 pound kid makes a world of difference from stock. Also extended gearing and losing the boat-anchor suspension fork (that she could not even compress at lightest preload settings) make for an actual trail rideable 20" bike. She loves it...
    Love it! I’ll have to look at those parts. You can also drop half a pound switching to Rocket Ron’s.

My 2021 Pike is a badass fork and only has a month of use buuuuuuuut the new Lyrik is calling my name so it's been ordered. I've heard the new damper and air spring are tremendous.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Love it! I’ll have to look at those parts. You can also drop half a pound switching to Rocket Ron’s.
    RRs will probably drop closer to a full pound. Those Vees are porky. Sick bike!

Maybe so, but style for miles on the tan sidewalls. My sons has them and it’s his favorite part. He’d be quite annoyed if I swapped out for something boring, even if performance is improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2x Dynaplug Megapill kits and an extra pack of megas. Spent way too long obsessing over Dart vs. Dyna but eventually decided the Dyna was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Pulled the trigger on an MRP Hazzard with a progressive coil. Pretty stoked to give it a try. All I need now is the bike frame
    Have had one on my sb130 for over a year now and love it

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    This is excellent - nice work! Can you share the source for the exotic fork? Looking for 24".

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    I sourced it here. This is the 24" version, which worked perfectly to replace the suspension fork on the Honzo (i.e. the forks are *not* suspension corrected, so watch the crown to axle height...)
    Last edited by aragon; 06-06-2022 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added re: suspension corrected

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    No kidding, that thing is sick! Might have to explore some of the aliexpress for my 50lb 9 y/o. Already gave my son the horribly flexy ‘99 SID and nice carbon bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    RRs will probably drop closer to a full pound. Those Vees are porky. Sick bike!
    Maybe so, but style for miles on the tan sidewalls. My sons has them and it’s his favorite part. He’d be quite annoyed if I swapped out for something boring, even if performance is improved.
    Thanks, all! The build was a fun distraction through (late)COVID and came together well. I did look at different, lighter tires, but (a) they are nearly impossible to find and (b) I wanted to retain the 2.6" width to help absorb bumps given the (now) rigid fork. As for the parts, as I said in the initial post, I am not sure I would trust the Alibaba stuff on an adult bike, but for a kids bike I think they are fine, and I have actually been pretty impressed with the overall quality. Yay bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by rightcoast View Post
    Have had one on my sb130 for over a year now and love it
    That's great to hear!

2x Dynaplug Megapill kits and an extra pack of megas. Spent way too long obsessing over Dart vs. Dyna but eventually decided the Dyna was worth it.
    I've been sorely disappointed with the Dart. Much better luck with old school bacon strips. Bit more faff factor, but I tried dart to plug a really shallow cut that I don't think went all the way through, but was definitely leaking air. Dart tip is plastic, w/ plastic rod backing and just not rigid enough to get through. Resorted to OG genuine innovations bacon plus metal tipped fork applicator which got me back home.

Had a really rough weekend of flats on Friday (27.5 plus tire in Expert thread) and then on a Bonty XR3 I was running on Saturday on my trail bike. In both cases bacon definitely worked better than the Dart.

I've been sorely disappointed with the Dart. Much better luck with old school bacon strips. Bit more faff factor, but I tried dart to plug a really shallow cut that I don't think went all the way through, but was definitely leaking air. Dart tip is plastic, w/ plastic rod backing and just not rigid enough to get through. Resorted to OG genuine innovations bacon plus metal tipped fork applicator which got me back home.

Had a really rough weekend of flats on Friday (27.5 plus tire in Expert thread) and then on a Bonty XR3 I was running on Saturday on my trail bike. In both cases bacon definitely worked better than the Dart.
    Appreciate the purchase validation as 2x Dynaplug kits was spendy. The kickers for me were:

-All reviews indicate that the Dart tool itself is flimsy suckage. Dynaplug tools are a lifetime purchase.
    -Dart requires latex sealant to work. If you use different sealant or it's mid-summer and yours has dried out the Dart won't work. Dynaplug will work with any sealant and without sealant at all.
    -Dynaplug is advertised as a permanent repair. If it works as advertised it will be well worth the extra cost to not have to pull tires to patch from the inside.

-Dynaplug is advertised as a permanent repair. If it works as advertised it will be well worth the extra cost to not have to pull tires to patch from the inside.
    I've been using dynaplugs for 4 years or so. They're great, but don't count on them as a permanent repair. They'll (sometimes) last a while, but they almost always wiggle loose eventually. It's worth fixing the hole properly.

I have had phenomenal success with Darts, but I meticulously keep my sealant topped off. I have fixed slices at the bead with four darts that no other system would fix. It could be some luck, but I'm happy. For the record, I carry both.
    Last edited by rideit; 06-06-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Atlas Pedals!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I have had like 4 occasions where a dart wouldn't go into a tire cut and instead just got pushed off the little tip. Also I broke off one side of mine. And the darts are expensive. So back to bacon strip tire plugger, have a couple varieties floating around. The blackburn pro is pretty nice and compact and has a better tip than the regular plugger but is expensive too.

Went from WTB i23 with Hans Dampf 2.35 front and rear to Mavic Crossmax Carbon Elites (26mm iw) with the same Hans Dampf in the rear and a Nobby Nic 2.6 up front.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

After 40mi on my Optic, I really liked the bike, but something just felt a little off in the way it initiated turns. Measured and found that it had a longer than stock stem, probably because the previous owner bought the bike a size too small. Swapped on the bars and stem from my Patrol and took it on a ride and the steering felt completely normal.

So today the bike got new stem (Aeffect R) and bars (Turbine R) and I took the opportunity to also throw on an Absolute Black oval chainring and the DT Swiss 54T star ratchet kit. Hopefully will have time for a ride tomorrow.

Bought this today. A definite upgrade. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1654746766.766721.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	418413

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Bought this today. A definite upgrade. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1654746766.766721.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	418413
    Shadowfax!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Shadowfax!!!
    429!

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    429!
    It looks sick

Loved my old Pivot 429sl, great pedaling bikes! Enjoy. Silver looks great IRL in especially in the sun.

Loved my old Pivot 429sl, great pedaling bikes! Enjoy. Silver looks great IRL in especially in the sun.
    I’m still getting it dialled in and need to get the weight down a little but it’s definitely a zippy climber. The geo corrects everything I didn’t like jive with on my last bike. The color is a bonus for sure.