Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    A Krampus is high on my, ‘want a weird bike list’.

Ideally rigid single speed (never owned one) with a dropper.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    picking this Surly Krampus up next week at state college (freeze/thaw cycles) - was on the fence with this and their karate monkey but figured I wanted something a bit different so I went with the 29+......a rock shox yari could be added down the road; for now, having them install a fox transfer dropper post.

Attachment 332603

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    picking this Surly Krampus up next week at state college (freeze/thaw cycles) - was on the fence with this and their karate monkey but figured I wanted something a bit different so I went with the 29+......a rock shox yari could be added down the road; for now, having them install a fox transfer dropper post.

Attachment 332603
    Man, all a Krampus needs is a dropper, and a wider/less weird handlebar. Definitely see how hard you can push it rigid before you throw a suspension fork on it. I've ridden a rigid Krampus a bunch, and owned a 29+ bike with a suspension fork, and the rigid Krampus had way better ride quality all the time.

Such a fun bike, wish I could justify one!

I bought a Krampus last year on a lark and really enjoy it. With a dropper it rips on sandy trails. On really rocky sections I've wished for suspension, but I've gradually dropped the tire pressure to about 12psi and it's better there. The GF put a pretty nasty dent in the rear rim, but it still holds air so I'm ignoring it.

Upgrade wise, I put a Sunrace 11-46 cassette and a 28t ring on it. 32/42 was a stupid tall gear for a heavy-ass bike that people will take bikepacking. I also swapped to Origin 8 bars with a lot of sweep, which are also great. I'd like to geta suspension fork for it, but can't justify the cost of new and sorting out which Fox 34s will fit 29+ has proven difficult.

My other big recent upgrade was the Hope brakes on my Ripley. The XTs that came on it had the random bite point feature, so I did a bunch of research. I was on the cusp of getting Formulas, but it seemed like they were less common and maybe harder to find parts for in the US than Hope. I'm in love with the Hopes. Modulation is excellent, so I can get right up to the edge of breaking traction better than ever. They also look great, the tiny EVO levers are comfy, and they are lighter than the XTs despite being 4 piston vs 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Love that powder blue color, good looking rig.
    crab in my shoe mouth

^^^yeah, I could usually care less about color but I have to agree, that is sweet.

Ripmo
    170mm Fox 38
    XTR/Raceface/I9 build

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	332638

Name:	IMG_1325.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	332639
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Ripmo
    170mm Fox 38
    XTR/Raceface/I9 build

Wow rad. Well done, right down to the cable housing.
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

New dhf and trail boss combo on my sentinel. Should roll a bit faster than the worn out magic marry and hand damf that came off. 2.5 dhf is a lot bigger than a 2.4 wtb and abut bigger than a 2.35 schwalbe

I've got a Cushcore XC and their uber lever sitting on my bench waiting to be installed. Not cause I flat, but so I can run silly low pressures without squirmy sidewalls. I'm really unsure how much time the install is going to take. The videos make it look really straightforward, but I hear so much bitching about it.

Use a trash can. Use the soapy water. You don't need it, but might as well use the hammer handle to mount the insert onto your rim too. Give yourself about 30 min for first time, but it'll go quicker than that.
    Did I mention, use the soapy water? Seriously, do not skip that part.
    BTW, the bead dropper is mint. But, you might also want a Pedros lever handy.
    It's all about jamming the tire bead deep into the well, under the insert, all the way around, so it doesn't need to stretch to get over opposite end.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Thanks, good to know.

Did I mention the soapy water? Use liberally

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Ripmo
    170mm Fox 38
    XTR/Raceface/I9 build

Damn, nothing wrong with that bike. Very, very nice!

Just mounted up my first pair of carbon hoops, Bontrager Line Pro 30s.

New rubber too. Trying the dual compound DHR2 in back, standard DHF up front.

STOKED

Oh, and I've got a set of Stan's Flow MK3 with DHF/DHR2 coming to market soon

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Did I mention the soapy water? Use liberally

Really wasn't that bad. I gave each side a spray down but not sure how much it helped. Total process was like 15 minutes including taking the old tire off. I could see this being a lot harder with tighter beads (like Schwalbe or anything DH).

Swapped the rigid fork off my old Kona mtnbike HT/touring bike for an old X-vert super I had kicking around, had to disturb brake pads and realized it needed new brake pads/ new cable /new housing ...runs good now

really I should get a mo modern touring bike
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-27-2020 at 08:35 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

New Bike Day!

2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 2. Replaces a older (2012) Kona Jake the Snake that I’ve been using as commuter and general road bike.

Going to set up another set of wheels with strictly road tires and replace the Giant gravel tires on this set. Suggestions on 700x40+ gravel tires?

Looking forward to doing some gravel exploring around Calgary. Has anyone local got some good suggestions. Was thinking that Big/Little Elbow loop would be a great ride. Did it over 20 years on my old hardtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
    New Bike Day!

2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 2. Replaces a older (2012) Kona Jake the Snake that I’ve been using as commuter and general road bike.

Going to set up another set of wheels with strictly road tires and replace the Giant gravel tires on this set. Suggestions on 700x40+ gravel tires?

Looking forward to doing some gravel exploring around Calgary. Has anyone local got some good suggestions. Was thinking that Big/Little Elbow loop would be a great ride. Did it over 20 years on my old hardtail.

Nice looking bike! Out of curiosity are you selling your old bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Nice looking bike! Out of curiosity are you selling your old bike?
    I put up for sale last night (through a couple of Facebook groups) and guy drove up from Okotoks this morning and bought it for full asking price. Made me wonder if I asked enough but I figured $750 for an 8 year old aluminum bike with close to 15k km was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
    I put up for sale last night (through a couple of Facebook groups) and guy drove up from Okotoks this morning and bought it for full asking price. Made me wonder if I asked enough but I figured $750 for an 8 year old aluminum bike with close to 15k km was pretty good.

The Rona has made the used bike market around here go crazy.... was just asking as I have a friend looking for something similar is all. Always feels good selling that stuff within the first day or 2.

Jake the snake is a pretty popular, few years ago a buddy of mine traded in a virtualy unused jake and got almost what she paid for it from a dealer who obviously had a buyer
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ripmo
    170mm Fox 38
    XTR/Raceface/I9 build

What’s that bad Larry weigh with that baller build? Curious as I have the working man build and love to ponder what could be of course

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    What’s that bad Larry weigh with that baller build? Curious as I have the working man build and love to ponder what could be of course

Even with a dentist build there just isn't much you can do with modern, descent oriented, bikes. 6-1/2lb frames, 5lb forks, and 900gram tires trump carbon cranks, bars, and rims. This ended up a little under 31lbs complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Even with a dentist build there just isn't much you can do with modern, descent oriented, bikes. 6-1/2lb frames, 5lb forks, and 900gram tires trump carbon cranks, bars, and rims. This ended up a little under 31lbs complete.
    Well shit. Sick build though. I’d like to put my GX drivetrain in a dumpster. Probably should add that to the rant thread.

That's feather weight compared to my SC Megatower. I'm guessing 34.5 ish.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.