Page 47 of 100 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 2489
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Nice! I bought a Big Dawg that looks really similar to your versa. I primarily bought it for pulling the raft trailer and taking the motorcycle for shuttle but I find it doubles nicely as a shuttle setup for mountain biking. What is the versa rated at? Mine Will do 400# total with my motorcycle so easy doesn't leave much for bikes...
    This one is rated to 500 lbs. So I could carry another MTB or two no problem.

What moto do you have? Add a 2x2 cycles carrier for a great moto MTB covid self shuttle option. https://www.2x2cycles.com/product/moto-bicycle-rack/

https://www.versahaul.com/vh55.php

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

What moto do you have? Add a 2x2 cycles carrier for a great moto MTB covid self shuttle option. https://www.2x2cycles.com/product/moto-bicycle-rack/

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

I have been looking at that 2x2 cycles rack since you posted it a while back. Looks really cool!

I went all over the board on different bikes - 2 strokes, 4 strokes, electric, etc. A buddy loaned me his 2 stroke Kawasaki 250 for the summer which helped narrow things down for me a bit. I wanted to buy something that would balance budget with weight and functionality. Primary use was as a shuttle vehicle for rafting with my family so we didn't need to always drive two cars. I struggled to find, in my area, a good used dual sport at a reasonable price and weight that was also street legal. I ended up buying a Chinese bike - a Hawk 250. I believe it is a Honda copy, to be honest.

So far it has been great and I'm looking forward to riding it more next year. I would guess that 2x2 doesn't have a rack to fit the Hawk, but you never know!

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211011_173735.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	400978

Cool, hopefully the Hawk is reliable for you. I hear you on hard to find combo of price, weight, street legal. I have the added criteria of needing low standover. My CRF230L is perfect for most of what I need to do though it's a bit hard to find parts for (only made for 2 yrs). My XR400 checks all the boxes except standover. Prior owner installed an electric start so at least I don't have to kick start it. I bought these long before Covid, or I'd be out of luck. Not many for sale now and prices are crazy. They were bad before Covid especially for street legal bikes. CA is pretty strict on those.

The 2x2 rack is pretty flexible for mounting. In my case I had to buy a luggage rack, and the 2x2 mounts to that. They include normal bolts in case holes or slots line up, and u-bolts if you need to clamp onto rails instead. I was on their site recently, looks like they now only have one option for each of horizontal and vertical racks rather than a standard and lite version of each. It also mentions a custom fit based on motorcycle model which I presume eliminates the need for a luggage rack. I'd give them a call, they might have something for the Hawk if a lot of them are being sold. Failing that, you can probably get a luggage rack for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I ended up buying a Chinese bike - a Hawk 250. I believe it is a Honda copy, to be honest.

So far it has been great and I'm looking forward to riding it more next year

Seth

Name:	20211011_173735.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	400978
    I didn’t know this brand existed. It is amazing you can get a 250 new for what most used mtn bikes cost. Seems like someday a person is going to figure out how to blow up the current model and make affordable and reliable mtn bikes!?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    I didn’t know this brand existed. It is amazing you can get a 250 new for what most used mtn bikes cost. Seems like someday a person is going to figure out how to blow up the current model and make affordable and reliable mtn bikes!?
    The jury is still out on whether they are reliable, but it seems like they can be if you take really good care of them. I don't think they are the same build quality as the Japanese bikes.

They are certainly affordable. There is no dealer support of any kind so you're on your own with help from the Hawk forums.

A small point, but the I actually think the engine displacement is 229cc so the "250" is the model number. I'm sure it's just by accident - no intent to mislead at all... ;-)

Seth

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I had to use up a Shimano code before the new year. I could but 5 items. So I bought:
    -Di2 battery, cause one of mine will eventually die before I go 12s Di2 on all my bikes
    -TL-BH62 Brake Hose Tool, 2in1 cutter and barb presser, cause you can never have too many tools, especially really part specific tools
    -XTR 9110 boost hubs, to build some wheels this winter
    -XTR crank, they had a 170 2x crank in stock so I bought it, I already have a spare 12s direct mount chain ring, so I can just turn this crank into a 1x.

It’s really crazy how low of stock levels Shimano actually has.
    Were you the guy with the ultimate pro tool box setup with the foam cut out all nice? Just bought one of these real cheap:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-w...ack-64250.html

Did you or someone make a tool box thread of did I totally imagine that?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Were you the guy with the ultimate pro tool box setup with the foam cut out all nice? Just bought one of these real cheap:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-w...ack-64250.html

Did you or someone make a tool box thread of did I totally imagine that?
    Tool thread (Dee’s is on page 2):

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...2357-Tool-Time

What have you bought/upgraded today.

HFS, a 250 enduro for $1700 shipped!?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

“Quality inspired by Harbor Freight”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    HFS, a 250 enduro for $1700 shipped!?
    Best to bring $1700 worth of tools or at least enough cash to Uber home if you go anywhere on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Best to bring $1700 worth of tools or at least enough cash to Uber home if you go anywhere on it.
    Yeah, it's hard to tell. I put about 500 miles on mine this summer riding shuttle for rafting and mountain biking. There are plenty of people on the forums who have driven theirs 10,000 miles and plenty would only make it 100 without troubles. I found a guy on one of the forums who lives here in Montana and he's been giving me tips. So far it has been flawless. I can only hope it stays that way. :-)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

What have you bought/upgraded today.

I’ve been tossing the idea around for years but can’t come close to justifying the cost since it would only be used for shuttling and farting around on FS roads near camp. Set expectations appropriately, and plan for some up front improvements with guidance from the early adopter forum folks, and something like that definitely piques the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I’ve been tossing the idea around for years but can’t come close to justifying the cost since it would only be used for shuttling and farting around on FS roads near camp. Set expectations appropriately, and plan for some up front improvements with guidance from the early adopter forum folks, and something like that definitely piques the interest.
    I bought mine for shuttling and exploring FS roads. It has been exceptional for that especially once I put the MTB carrier on it. I ride it around town a fair bit in good weather too if I need to go to the store for small items, etc. It is super fun to ride around. Also used it to commute to work for a few weeks while my truck was in the body shop. After that I started riding to work once a week, I had an awesome scenic route to work on side streets. It was especially awesome coming home in rush hour gridlock on the freeway since I can lane split here. 30mins on the moto vs 60-70min in my truck. The other overlooked benefit of having it on a trip is safety. If truck gets stuck or breaks down I have a second vehicle to self extract with.

gave the trainer bike some love recently

thanks to some expert advice got new rings/chain sorted
    Name:  IMG_4265.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  60.1 KB

sad day when this one died, purchased in 1996 this has seen 3.5 seattle to portlands, 14 years of college campus duty, and 4 years of trainer abuse (5k mi last year alone)
    Name:  IMG_4263.JPG
Views: 366
Size:  47.8 KB

new replacement from clearance across the pond, initial impressions are quite good, i was scared it wouldnt mesh with the boys but all signs point to another long lasting relationship
    Name:  IMG_4261.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  45.5 KB

and of course some fresh cheapo tape, white makes me feel fancy, until its grey and then i just feel dirty
    Name:  IMG_4264.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  36.9 KB

The local Honda dealer has a new Trail 125 on floor. If the wife hadn't been all over me for the (admittedly absurd) mtb spending this year I'd be bragging about getting one of those. Karl Malone Mosports in Glenwood has one, wants $5k out the door, but the things are pretty much unattainable nationally.

OneUp just released a 240mm drop post. I’ll be buying/upgrading soon.

Ordered a damper. Going to service my suspension and upgrading from grip to fit 4 while I'm at it. With the grip the middle setting usually seems too harsh, but open I think could use a little more low speed, so why not get a dial for that.

I might have one of those new cannondale hardtails coming. I've been missing having an xc race bike. Going for the one with the sid instead of a lefty so I can use my wheels. No more ai rear offset either. Or maybe I'll get an orbea alma, or alma frame. who even knows. I'd just like something before may or so.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I might have one of those new cannondale hardtails coming. I've been missing having an xc race bike. Going for the one with the sid instead of a lefty so I can use my wheels. No more ai rear offset either. Or maybe I'll get an orbea alma, or alma frame. who even knows. I'd just like something before may or so.
    Having to use an AI specific crank is a turn off to me. My local shop has just picked up Cannonade, so I have been exploring the catalogue. I'm eying the SuperSix EVO SE with room for 45mm tires!

I impulse bought a Milwaukee M12 inflator while picking up stuff for a job. The little guy is pretty great for bike tires! Set the pressure and let it rip. It's not quiet but it is fast enough.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...-Tools/2475-20

Name:  2475-20_2.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  23.8 KB
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Sweet pump. I just bought the Bosch Easy Pump, its a battery operated hand held pump. Here is what I got, cross posted from the Tool Time thread.

What presta adapter/head/chuck are you using for that pump? I highly recommend the Silca Hero Chuck, its even on sale right now at Silca.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I impulse bought a Milwaukee M12 inflator while picking up stuff for a job. The little guy is pretty great for bike tires! Set the pressure and let it rip. It's not quiet but it is fast enough.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...-Tools/2475-20

Name:  2475-20_2.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  23.8 KB
    I just got the M18 one. Not as portable as that one, but easy enough to carry if need be. I also have nail guns, so wanted a little more air when needed.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...essors/2840-20

I'm not sold on cordless compressors (and I already own 5 corded ones) since you still need a hose to run guns, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Does the battery have enough capacity to run for more than a few cycles? Is the compressor lighter than the baby Grip Rite one that I mostly use for small trim jobs?

The end of the Milwaukee hose is just a schrader valve head, so it screws onto regular tiny presta adapters. It's slow to attach but secure.

I have one of those Hiro heads in my cart right now, Dee. Have you found the gasket to be durable? That's one of the complaints I found.

I'm not sold on cordless compressors (and I already own 5 corded ones) since you still need a hose to run guns, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Does the battery have enough capacity to run for more than a few cycles? Is the compressor lighter than the baby Grip Rite one that I mostly use for small trim jobs?

The end of the Milwaukee hose is just a schrader valve head, so it screws onto regular tiny presta adapters. It's slow to attach but secure.

I have one of those Hiro heads in my cart right now, Dee. Have you found the gasket to be durable? That's one of the complaints I found.
    I have one on a pump thats 10-12 years old and still doing strong. So I bought a brand new one for the Bosch cordless. There is a compression dial/nut that adjusts the pressure on the gasket, so if it gets worn, you just tighten down the dial which compresses the gasket, essentially tightening the gasket hole.

Right on. The original push on ones on the OG Silca pumps are like that but the hold isn't really sufficient to work after they wear a bit. I hope the lever is an improvement.

The Bosch inflator is gorgeously small! The M12 one just sits on the floor while it inflates the tire, though, which is also cool.

The Bosch inflator is gorgeously small!
    The size is what drove me to buy this one. It’s going to live in my tool roll, that will live in my car.

Name:	IMG_2959.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	404088