Page 37 of 100 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    I hear the XT’s sneak out at night and get ‘R’ tattoos.
    Poseurs.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Long shot here, anyone have a 425 spring that will work on a DHX2, 230mm x 60mm?
    Just scored the body, but no spring…
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Long shot here, anyone have a 425 spring that will work on a DHX2, 230mm x 60mm?
    I bought 4 springs (3 steel, then one SLS) off thelostco in the last few weeks for my 185x55. They seemed to have the best stock.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I'd buy another SAR spring without thinking. Eibach steel alloy are accurate weights and don't soften for a long time and nicely designed pom's. Top quality at a decent price. Mirka still runs it after Dave Garland passed and she's a pleasure to deal with

https://superalloyracing.com/

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I've been meaning to drop a pic in here of the new ride, but been too busy riding to take photos. Upgraded from a 2016 Ibis HD3 27.5 to this Orbea Occam, 29er with 150/140. Climbs like a dream, big fat 203 rotors, and I'm dialing in the suspension. Already took out 2 of 3 fork tokens, probably pulling the 3rd pretty soon. Also went to a small from a medium, which seems appropriate as I'm 5.5+.
    Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Speaking of Orbea ... stuck inside with the smoke so I've been riding the trainer a lot lately and decided to give the road bike some attention. Bike is from 2008 with mostly original parts, probably something like 25K miles. Brifter levers were failing and I couldn't find new 10 speed replacement parts. The frame and wheels are still in good shape so I upgraded the crankset, derailleurs, chain, cassette, and brifters to Ultegra 11 speed. Kept the Dura Ace rim brakes since they still work fine and are compatible with the levers (plus wanted to keep some of the DA bling).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3334.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	383251

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Speaking of Orbea ... stuck inside with the smoke so I've been riding the trainer a lot lately and decided to give the road bike some attention. Bike is from 2008 with mostly original parts, probably something like 25K miles. Brifter levers were failing and I couldn't find new 10 speed replacement parts. The frame and wheels are still in good shape so I upgraded the crankset, derailleurs, chain, cassette, and brifters to Ultegra 11 speed. Kept the Dura Ace rim brakes since they still work fine and are compatible with the levers (plus wanted to keep some of the DA bling).

Name:	IMG_3334.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	383251
    You didn’t specify the issue you were having with the brifters, but if the problem was that the shifters wouldn’t release properly - shift to higher gear on rear or lower gear on front - there’s a good chance they can be salvaged with a simple clean and lube.

Shorts are definitely tight. Weighed out to 32.8 lbs with pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Shorts are definitely tight. Weighed out to 32.8 lbs with pedals.

Hell yeah.

Nice! I see you got rid of the tiger decals? lol

That's actually a pretty good weight, especially considering the Rock'rs.

And as an FYI, the high Trail setting is noticeably more progressive in addition to being less travel. I like it a lot better than Gravity.

New bearings installed

Used table top vice and the old bearing overtop to press in new ones. Slow and steady was key. Didn't have an issue and got all of them seated. Main pivot was a bit harder but used the axle bolt to seat one bearing then did the other side.

Name:	65145534361__95AF16D4-D6BA-4C74-88AE-8AC6912E260C.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	383327

Name:	65145834546__94DAC1B0-3685-455F-B7E2-8186F66959D1.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	383328

Name:	IMG_6551.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	383329

Trading my 475# coil for someone’s 500# so while I wait threw the air can on to see just how much I love my push 11-6 coil.

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    You didn’t specify the issue you were having with the brifters, but if the problem was that the shifters wouldn’t release properly - shift to higher gear on rear or lower gear on front - there’s a good chance they can be salvaged with a simple clean and lube.
    Yeah, tried that and it helped for a while but the same issue kept coming back. Plus the inside lever on my left brifter has been broken (as in broken off) for years, and I was wanting to move to a compact crank (cause I'm old and no longer riding 300+ miles/week), so it was a good excuse to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    I was wanting to move to a compact crank (cause I'm old and no longer riding 300+ miles/week), so it was a good excuse to upgrade.
    I’m with you on that one. First thing I did when I moved to the mountains was go from from a 12-23 to a 12-27 cassette. That still wasn’t enough for me, so next step was compact crank. No regrets with that purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Nice! I see you got rid of the tiger decals? lol

That's actually a pretty good weight, especially considering the Rock'rs.

And as an FYI, the high Trail setting is noticeably more progressive in addition to being less travel. I like it a lot better than Gravity.
    I actually weighed it three times and got 32.76, 34.5 and 32.83, so rather than do it a few more times I just decided the 34.5 was a fluke and ran with 32.8 as the "official" number. I tried to have an open mind about the stickers but even my 11 y.o. thought they needed to go. She included a pretty nice frame bag that also happens to be tiger striped. Next project is to try and remedy that with some kind of durable outdoor fabric paint (Plastidip?).

That's interesting about your setting preferences. I never ran my old frame in the high setting unless I was somewhere like Phil's or Gooseberry. I'll be sure to spin some laps in both modes.

I actually weighed it three times and got 32.76, 34.5 and 32.83, so rather than do it a few more times I just decided the 34.5 was a fluke and ran with 32.8 as the "official" number. I tried to have an open mind about the stickers but even my 11 y.o. thought they needed to go. She included a pretty nice frame bag that also happens to be tiger striped. Next project is to try and remedy that with some kind of durable outdoor fabric paint (Plastidip?).

That's interesting about your setting preferences. I never ran my old frame in the high setting unless I was somewhere like Phil's or Gooseberry. I'll be sure to spin some laps in both modes.
    Well, I'm sure that my running mine as an MX setup has something to do with it too (my HA in Trail is a tad slacker than Gravity in the normal 170mm 27.5 setup), so I get the best of both worlds.

Well, I'm sure that my running mine as an MX setup has something to do with it too (my HA in Trail is a tad slacker than Gravity in the normal 170mm 27.5 setup), so I get the best of both worlds.
    Makes sense. MX/mullet will probably happen in the not-too-distant future but I'm going to run it as-is for a while. Have you run MX mode with a 160 fork and the stock geo?

Makes sense. MX/mullet will probably happen in the not-too-distant future but I'm going to run it as-is for a while. Have you run MX mode with a 160 fork and the stock geo?
    160mm 29er fork with short cup, both Gravity & Trail settings. I haven't run the bike with a 27.5 front wheel yet (with 29er fork and short cup, so basically stock geometry with 160mm front travel). I was meaning to do that, since I haven't run a full 27.5 in a couple years, but then recently rode my buddy's SB165, and noticed the front wheel getting kicked around a lot, so that's dampened my enthusiasm for that experiment.

I would only suggest the 170mm/165mm MX setup if you ride a lot of very steep, very chunky terrain, don't care a ton about climbing, and probably with an air shock. That setup will be very, very slack. The 160mm fork MX setup seems a lot more balanced / less of a gravity sled.

Gravity mode is fine with a coil, but loses a lot of pop. Gravity felt a lot more responsive with an X2. Either way, make sure to adjust your shock's air pressure / spring rate when you change modes. For coils, it seems you can drop 25# from Gravity to Trail for the same sag.

Cool. The "official" MX build on the website is a 170 fork. I think the HTA is listed as 63.2*. I do ride a lot of steep and chunky, but a 160 fork makes a lot more sense. I'll be sticking with air as I'm madly in love with the Mara Pro.

Cool. The "official" MX build on the website is a 170 fork. I think the HTA is listed as 63.2*. I do ride a lot of steep and chunky, but a 160 fork makes a lot more sense. I'll be sticking with air as I'm madly in love with the Mara Pro.
    Speaking of Mara Pro, this isn't a new purchase but I'm about to have the travel spacer removed from mine to increase the stroke from 50 to 55mm (I'd do it myself but I don't want to bleed the damper, that seems a bit more complex than I'm willing to tackle). Apparently the Occam can handle the longer stroke with no clearance issues and it bumps the rear travel from 140 to 154mm. Next step is to pop one of the tokens out of the Mezzer to get the travel to 160mm and boom, a bunch more squish with more or less the same angles.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Name:	Black-Anodized-05_2000x1333.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	383452

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Speaking of Mara Pro, this isn't a new purchase but I'm about to have the travel spacer removed from mine to increase the stroke from 50 to 55mm (I'd do it myself but I don't want to bleed the damper, that seems a bit more complex than I'm willing to tackle). Apparently the Occam can handle the longer stroke with no clearance issues and it bumps the rear travel from 140 to 154mm. Next step is to pop one of the tokens out of the Mezzer to get the travel to 160mm and boom, a bunch more squish with more or less the same angles.
    Does that make it a Raccam or an Occallon?

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post

Name:	Black-Anodized-05_2000x1333.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	383452
    Day-um!

^^^ Seconded. That is dead sexy

Does that make it a Raccam or an Occallon?
    Rackham the Red, famous French pirate, spelling is close enough. It shall be a Raccam!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Day-um!
    Yeah. I'm all kinds of excited. And suffering from some serious buyer's remorse

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Yeah. I'm all kinds of excited. And suffering from some serious buyer's remorse
    Very cool frames. Probably my fave out of all the high pivots. I like how they shorten the chainstays to compensate for the growth of a highpivot cs when compressed. Nice customization options that i could pick a couple options they offer to really fit me well. Mullet with125mm headtube w 450 reach and the 400mm seatube wouldnt be everyones pick but that would be a really good fit for me that'd be hard to find otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app