Page 34 of 100 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    I was digging through the parts pile on the tool cart over the weekend and found a drivetrain I was supposed to put on one of the bikes at the end if the season last year. I can't remember which fucking bike it was for.

I suck at maintenance.

Also, tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozzey View Post
    Bought the 2021 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Alloy for the geometry and am planning on slowly upgrading it. Thinking of upgrading the drivetrain from an NX to a GX or above, but am worried about durability since I tend to beat up my bike (hence the alloy). Any thoughts? Also, drivetrain or carbon wheels?
    NX cassettes use a HG freehub driver, so check that your hub's driver can be swapped to XD or microspline before proceeding. If I were doing a drivetrain upgrade these days I'd go Shimano 12s over SRAM Eagle since the shifting is sooo good under load, but right now availability trumps just about everything.

Normally wheels>>drivetrain, but NX Eagle is so damn heavy that drivetrain is probably the better place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    NX cassettes use a HG freehub driver, so check that your hub's driver can be swapped to XD or microspline before proceeding. If I were doing a drivetrain upgrade these days I'd go Shimano 12s over SRAM Eagle since the shifting is sooo good under load, but right now availability trumps just about everything.

Normally wheels>>drivetrain, but NX Eagle is so damn heavy that drivetrain is probably the better place to start.
    alternatively, you could keep the NX cassette and upgrade the rest of the drivetrain since SRAM stuff plays nice with each other. though most of the weight in your drivetrain is either from the cranks or the cassette

NX is 530 grams heavier than XX1, and almost half, 250 grams of that is in the cassette.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 13.22.32.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	378866

Also the XD freehub is 10g lighter than a HG freehub

Uswe 15L patriot pack
    “No more dancing monkey”

Really nice functionality and the stay in place cross chest harness with stretch is amazing. Holds 3L bladder, snacks, small pump, layer and assorted small items. Also keeps chin guard in place in the back slide pocket.

Saw in a thread on TGR and stoked on the feel on tonight’s ride. Back usually is sore from pack. But not tonight

Name:	Image1625899155.146875.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	379090

Name:	Image1625899168.229766.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	379091

Name:	Image1625899178.441654.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	379092

Name:	Image1625899256.395703.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	379093

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

What have you bought/upgraded today.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Actually, Yellow Peak is at the head of the Middle Fork Little Timber to Big Timber loop, west of Leadore. We haven't found a name for the peak in that photo, but Diamond is at the head of the cirque. "Obscure peaks of Eastern Idaho for 20, Alex."

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk
    Ahh, good to know. I have a hard time keeping that zone straight. My eyes get crossed getting the big picture using our Salmon/Chalice forest maps🤪
    I was thinking Rocky Creek, not Rocky Canyon. Wrong Rocky.

Last edited by hick; 07-10-2021 at 03:18 PM.

Just installed an XTR 9100 lever, didn’t notice it wasn’t the 9120, I thought “how different could it be?”
    well, it has a totally different lever feel, kinda like there is more modulation, which so far feels weird. (A little spongy, perhaps).
    Also has a carbon lever, which is narrower. I might need to just get a 9120, but I‘ll do a ride or two first.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The biggest difference is that the 9120 has servo wave, where as the 9100 does not.
    9120 has the tool free reach adjustment.
    9100 73g lighter.

You wanna but it?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You wanna but it?
    I've got 99 problems, but a XTR lever aint one.

I recently picked up some Race Face Aeffect R cranks. I had Turbines before but had issues with bottom bracket longevity in my pressfit frame; having a 30 mm spindle in a BB92 frame results in very thin bearings. The Aeffect Rs are marginally heavier, still use 7000-series alloy and have a 24 mm spindle that allows me to use a cheap Shimano BB that should last well due to appropriately sized bearings. They seem solid. I was also looking at Shimano cranks for similar reasons but already had a perfectly good RF chainring.

Name:	p5pb20928601.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	382.0 KB 
ID:	379364

I broke down and got a set of RevGrips after listening to a couple buddies sing praises of them nonstop for the last year or so. Then promptly found out I needed a new set of bars, because I run my hands at the outer edge of grips and these have outer 10mm lockrings. (Making my 760mm bars feel like 740s.) So that required a fresh set of OneUp 35mm rise, cut to 780 this time.

No verdict on the RevGrips yet since the 3 rides I've had them on for have been with the bars effectively too short and the edge of my hands resting on the lockring.

Ive put yhe thin 31mm rev grips in my cart probably 10x. I think i still have a page saved with some in the cart. I also hear good things and i get bad arm pump. I ditched my lock ons and went back to glued push on renthal softs grips. Still get arm pump but a noticeable improvement. The next step is to try some revs. Interested to hear how they work for you

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Ive put yhe thin 31mm rev grips in my cart probably 10x. I think i still have a page saved with some in the cart. I also hear good things and i get bad arm pump. I ditched my lock ons and went back to glued push on renthal softs grips. Still get arm pump but a noticeable improvement. The next step is to try some revs. Interested to hear how they work for you

I got the half waffles. I wear a medium size glove, like grips with half waffles or ridges, and hate fat cushy grips. These are probably my favorite waffle pattern because there's more rows of it, so that more finger contact points. I find on grips with waffles or ridges (ODI Elite Pros or OneUps), I'm able to relax my grip a little bit more, which helps with pump.

I'm headed to Downieville for some shuttles this weekend, so should have a good idea after that if they work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I got the half waffles. I wear a medium size glove, like grips with half waffles or ridges, and hate fat cushy grips. These are probably my favorite waffle pattern because there's more rows of it, so that more finger contact points. I find on grips with waffles or ridges (ODI Elite Pros or OneUps), I'm able to relax my grip a little bit more, which helps with pump.

I'm headed to Downieville for some shuttles this weekend, so should have a good idea after that if they work or not.
    Shuttles/lifts are great for sorting this stuff out. Soo fun.
    First lap back on push ons im asking my self why i ever put on lock ons aside from convenience. My hands arent the biggest though and my wrists are beat. Maybe the 31mm revs are it though. Lock ons and less arm pump. Hope thats the case for you. Nice to build speed down the tracks rather than lose speed w arm pump

What have you bought/upgraded today.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I recently picked up some Race Face Aeffect R cranks. I had Turbines before but had issues with bottom bracket longevity in my pressfit frame; having a 30 mm spindle in a BB92 frame results in very thin bearings. The Aeffect Rs are marginally heavier, still use 7000-series alloy and have a 24 mm spindle that allows me to use a cheap Shimano BB that should last well due to appropriately sized bearings. They seem solid. I was also looking at Shimano cranks for similar reasons but already had a perfectly good RF chainring.

Name:	p5pb20928601.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	382.0 KB 
ID:	379364
    I’ve got several sets of the non-Rs. They’ve been solid across a bunch of years and bikes. The Rs are a steal, I’ve got a set in my cart as we speak. Only problem I’ve ever has is with them slowly working loose and bunging the BB spindle, which means replacing the BB (otherwise, they just keep coming loose). It’s not like it’s a major problem and could have been due to operator error, but I try to check the crank bolts whenever the bike is on the stand.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I’ve got several sets of the non-Rs. They’ve been solid across a bunch of years and bikes. The Rs are a steal, I’ve got a set in my cart as we speak. Only problem I’ve ever has is with them slowly working loose and bunging the BB spindle, which means replacing the BB (otherwise, they just keep coming loose). It’s not like it’s a major problem and could have been due to operator error, but I try to check the crank bolts whenever the bike is on the stand.
    Good to know. I actually did have to re-tighten the cranks after the first couple rides, though I was assuming things had just loosened after initial setup, which isn’t uncommon. I’ll make sure to check them periodically.

Edit: just reading more, looks like they need to be tightened to 61 Nm, which apparently is a ton. I’ll just make sure they’re super tight.
    Last edited by D(C); 07-15-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Trying some 27.5x2.8s and maybe mullet w 29x2.6 up front. Threw a GX 12spd on the HG/11spd hub and no problems shifting w Shimano SLX was a nice surprise not to have adjust much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Edit: just reading more, looks like they need to be tightened to 61 Nm, which apparently is a ton. I’ll just make sure they’re super tight.
    1 US Ton = 8896 Newtons
    1 Metric Ton = 9807 Newtons

I don’t have a torque wrench calibrated for that value.

I thru my knee and elbow pads in the automagic washer, definatly smells like an upgrade ... should have done it years ago
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    1 US Ton = 8896 Newtons
    1 Metric Ton = 9807 Newtons

I don’t have a torque wrench calibrated for that value.
    If you have 1-ton weights available you can just hang them off the end of your 6.9mm- (imperial) or 6.2mm- (metric) -long hex wrench, that will get you 61 Nm. Shouldn't be too hard for a reasonably handy home mechanic.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I thru my knee and elbow pads in the automagic washer, definatly smells like an upgrade ... should have done it years ago
    Yup. Same here. Been periodically dunking them in a bucket of soapy water over the years thinking that’s better for them. Finally said fuck it and threw them in the wash. So happy.

However many are in a shit ton.

Installed a new Chris King headset. Really highlights how bad Cane Creek is. Never thought I'd actually notice the difference.

I’m genuinely curious… is it just how smooth it feels? I’ve always been in the camp said that cane creek 40 and above were ‘fine’.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Installed a new Chris King headset. Really highlights how bad Cane Creek is. Never thought I'd actually notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I’m genuinely curious… is it just how smooth it feels? I’ve always been in the camp said that cane creek 40 and above were ‘fine’.
    Yeah, smooth and quiet.