Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Y'all Knew Baldy re-opened, right?

Baldy is the type of ski hill where you and your friends hit it on a weekday on acid and you learn through mind tricks that the only other group of “kids” there are also tripping.

Bands playing and grills fired up at the top chair 3.

The lookers right of the first chair is super fun. I “taught” friends to jump turn on Bentley’s.

I remember when they had the avi fatality in south bowl... seeing SAR walking out from the drainage tired and defeated to take chair 2 back to the notch.

South bowl and some good trees by the resivour. Leaned to ski at baldy and it made me learn how to deal with tough conditions

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    South bowl and some good trees by the resivour. Leaned to ski at baldy and it made me learn how to deal with tough conditions

That is the truth!

A kid fell out of a chair back in theater 70s and died iirc and nothing as far as I know has been upgraded since I first went there in 78.

It used to be quite the thing in the 60s to take the chair up to the lodge for dinner in summer. Different times for sure.

My first lessons were in mammoth, but the first time I got turned loose w a buddy to ski was baldy and we were significantly overestimated our abilities that day. Good baldy memory.

Snowpack has always, always, always been hit and miss there as long as I can remember. But even a crap snow, it was hard to beat skiing baldy in the morning then hitting Newport in the afternoon and spend barely an hour total in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Typically plenty of homeless people sleeping in vehicles on pull outs below the village, so you should be fine doing that...although I would recommend bringing something for self defense. Lots of forest and road closures in the area, so would be hard to find a spot for a tent.
    Looks like Claremont dropped the hammer on homeless parking within city limits, increased signage and you won't see any until outside of town. Last Wednesday there were way more cops on Mt Baldy Rd than I've ever seen, they were everywhere. Enforcing trail closures I suppose, don't know if they were booting people parked below the village or not. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Yeah, Baldy is not Deer Valley. I don't even call it a resort, but I have had many awesome days there, takes some planning and lots of luck.
    Understatement of the decade, lol.

Several years ago I had to drop a can't-wait deuce at the bottom of chair 1, and hit the old stone restrooms. The men's was flooded with sewage like a Tijuana strip joint, so I knocked on the women's door, saw it was empty, and sprinted into the stall. Later when done, women kept coming in so I couldn't sneak out. It was a pow day though dammit, so I put on my hood and goggles, zipped up my collar up as high as it would go, and walked out like no big deal hoping they wouldn't notice.

The ladies went silent, they noticed. Pow day though, you do what you gotta do.

Baldy just posted to Facebook, Sunday 5/3 will be the last day this season. I'll bet the county shut them down.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Looks like Claremont dropped the hammer on homeless parking within city limits, increased signage and you won't see any until outside of town. Last Wednesday there were way more cops on Mt Baldy Rd than I've ever seen, they were everywhere. Enforcing trail closures I suppose, don't know if they were booting people parked below the village

do.
    I have a buddy from college on the Baldy FD and he said it’s been an absolute shit show up there since stay at home started. Said he’s never seen so many people trying to find trails and lots were getting themselves in trouble.

Baldy the ski area is not the goods in the area . Baldy Bowl with the Sierra Club ski hut has some great Steep Terrain. Lots of backcountry opportunities in the San Gabriel's. It gets very,very good, but only last a day or two.
    Not a lot of people outside of the ski areas so very uncrowded.
    Hwy 2 out of Glendale will lead you to some good shit if you bring a bike , mini bike ,or any other form of transportation
    I have a buddy who regularly posts pow shots with the ocean in the background.
    L A county is one strange place.
    Perfect surf ( Malibu) Homeless Camps (Downtown) Celebrities walking the beach (Malibu) and No fall ski/snowboard terrain all in a 50 mile circle

1,800 vert on the backside with a car shuttle at the bottom. There is a lot to Baldy and a few know her secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    With the caveat that I've never skied there (but really want to), for the type of skier who wants high-speed lifts, slopeside lodging, tons of amenities, gourmet food and an upscale apres scene, etc. it probably is a terrible place to ski. For the type of skiing a lot of people posting here want it looks like it kicks huge ass (if there's snow).
    Baldy's food and beer selection is the Best of ALL of the ski resorts in S. CA. Great food and great beer with some of the best local breweries.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Lots of Wilderness areas, and now the whole area is San Gabriel National Monument, which kills the ski area's plan to expand eventually.

Went to college in San Diego. For years my buddies told me not to waste my time with skiing outside of LA. Just save my money for a Tahoe/Mammoth trip. First trip to Baldy we skipped class, lot runs were open and we surfed at Mission Beach that evening. Pretty sweet spot if you hit it right. Wish I had found Baldy sooner.

I recall the trail map back then had expansion plans on the backside. Are those plans scrapped now due to the Nat'l Monument designation?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
    Went to college in San Diego. For years my buddies told me not to waste my time with skiing outside of LA. Just save my money for a Tahoe/Mammoth trip. First trip to Baldy we skipped class, lot runs were open and we surfed at Mission Beach that evening. Pretty sweet spot if you hit it right. Wish I had found Baldy sooner.

I recall the trail map back then had expansion plans on the backside. Are those plans scrapped now due to the Nat'l Monument designation?

Love the bit about surfing Mission Beach after a day of skiing Baldy! For me it is usually the other way around, surf Newport in the morning and make slush turns in the afternoon. That's awesome that you got lot runs on the first day, consider yourself lucky.

I have been hearing about those expansion plans since the late 90's, when I was in college and first hit Baldy. I don't think there is anything like the financial support for it, but I really don't know anything. Maybe someone else here knows better? I have always heard that is was really just a fantasy unless someone very rich buys the place.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I’ve skied baldy during the day and bodywhomped at the pump house at end of day. Probably even did it in the dark during red tide like y’all are having now.

Skied there on Saturday. Fun day, not perfect smooth spring conditions and several of the good runs melted out. But still plenty of nice turns. Employees did a good job reminding the few "it's just the flu bros" to mask up and spread out.