Groinage pain while skinning

I've been experiencing pain in approximately this area, in particular when raising my right knee upward. So, skinning uphill causes lots of discomfort. So does hiking and even MTB after about 12 miles. I always start off feeling good, then steadily deteriorate to maybe a 4 or 5 out of 10 pain. No scrinching sound/feeling like with tendonitis.

Name:  20200411_211505.png
Views: 2425
Size:  94.6 KB

Questions:

Any idea what the problem is? I'm guessing muscular, but I really don't know.

Any ideas what to do? Not interested in going to a doctor's office during a pandemic. I'm sure the answer is "rest" but I wanna ride my bike.

subscribed. same problem here.

I had pain in that area years ago. It used to bother me when high-stepping with my right leg while rock climbing. I think I high-stepped too high once and pulled the muscle. Anyway I actually went to the doc and said "It hurts when I do this," and lifted my leg. He gave me the classic reply, "Then don't do that." I believe it went away after like 6 months of not doing that.

I had pain towards the front of my right hip when touring / hiking. Was an impingement. Had surgery. Right as rain now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I know this pain. Don't know what to call it but I have some floor stretches that cure it.

(I was gonna ask if you'd been skiing with mtn girl, then I saw the picture.)

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I had pain in that area years ago. It used to bother me when high-stepping with my right leg while rock climbing. I think I high-stepped too high once and pulled the muscle. Anyway, I actually went to the doc and said "It hurts when I do this," and lifted my leg. He gave me the classic reply, "Then don't do that." I believe it went away after like 6 months of not doing that.
    Don't you hate it when you hear that?

Groin pain can be a myriad of things ranging from hip joint issues to a hernia. You'll have to have one of those global disclaimers about getting health advice from TGR.

The thing to note is that actual hip joint (femoral head and acetabulum - the ball and cup respectively) pain is often felt in the groin, not on the outside which we colloquially think to be our hip. A way to test this is flex your hip to 90 degrees and then rotate your foot outwards (i.e., hip flexion and internal rotation of the hip joint). It may be easier to lie on your back and have someone else do it to you and compare both sides. If the pain is recreated it may be coming from the actual hip joint. Notably, a tendinitis can occur to the iliopsoas tendon which runs anterior to the hip capsule, though much less common than issues with the hip joint itself, but it's pretty deep and you wouldn't necessarily feel "scrinching" (to use your words).
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Wow. Thanks, Orthoski for the insight, both in naming that iliopsoas tendon and pointing out it could be hip issues. The stretches I do that cures that pain for me are hip joint related. Of course, it comes back at random intervals. My last MRI reading noted that my hips have a bit too much wear and tear. However, I have also felt a pain in the iliopsoas tendon and have never be able to put a name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    Groin pain can be a myriad of things ranging from hip joint issues to a hernia. You'll have to have one of those global disclaimers about getting health advice from TGR.

The thing to note is that actual hip joint (femoral head and acetabulum - the ball and cup respectively) pain is often felt in the groin, not on the outside which we colloquially think to be our hip. A way to test this is flex your hip to 90 degrees and then rotate your foot outwards (i.e., hip flexion and internal rotation of the hip joint). It may be easier to lie on your back and have someone else do it to you and compare both sides. If the pain is recreated it may be coming from the actual hip joint. Notably, a tendinitis can occur to the iliopsoas tendon which runs anterior to the hip capsule, though much less common than issues with the hip joint itself, but it's pretty deep and you wouldn't necessarily feel "scrinching" (to use your words).
    Hey - I can use your words too!

Crepitus.

Idiopathic cardiopulmonary encephalitis.

Doppler effect.

See?

Just kidding. Thanks for the (I'm assuming authentic) medical perspective on this. I now think it's the actual hip joint. That little leg rotation test you described recreates the pain, particularly when i rotate my hip back to normal position. There are a few other reasons that make me think it's the joint, not muscular... Fack.

Welp, surgery in the summer is better than in the middle of ski season. To all the other groin gimps in this thread - best of luck to you.

Itíll obviously depend on the surgery, but for what it is worth, I got my hip operated on in mid-late August and was on skis by December... much faster than this stupid Achilles rehab.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dangur View Post
    Hey - I can use your words too!

Crepitus.

Idiopathic cardiopulmonary encephalitis.

Doppler effect.

See?

Just kidding. Thanks for the (I'm assuming authentic) medical perspective on this. I now think it's the actual hip joint. That little leg rotation test you described recreates the pain, particularly when i rotate my hip back to normal position. There are a few other reasons that make me think it's the joint, not muscular... Fack.

Welp, surgery in the summer is better than in the middle of ski season. To all the other groin gimps in this thread - best of luck to you.
    Way too soon to be thinking about surgery. Notice that orthoski said it MAY be coming from the hip joint. An xray will help. Groin pain is common. Doesn't sound like a hernia, but it could be. Musculotendinous, like orthoski mentioned. And whether you want to hear it or not, a lot of these problems respond to rest, and only rest.
    By the way, the muscles you circled are adductors--they bring your knees together. They start in the obturator foramen which is the hole in the middle of the bone you sit on (the ischium)--so farther back and lower down then where you pain is.

see a doc, get examined, get an xray.
    Last edited by old goat; 05-04-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    It’ll obviously depend on the surgery, but for what it is worth, I got my hip operated on in mid-late August and was on skis by December... much faster than this stupid Achilles rehab.
    Funny you mention Achilles surgery. I got what OP is describing trying to ride a stationary bike with the boot on after surgery. Unequal leg length due to the boot caused a bunch of pain in the groin.

PT put me on a series of stretches for hamstrings and low back. Those stretches, plus taping a block of wood to the other pedal to equalize leg length, made the pain go away after a few weeks.
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com