Snow Creek, San Jacinto CA, 4/24/20

Way too many warm days/nights in a row.
    https://rmru.org/2020/04/26/2020-020/

That is insane. Why?

Holy shit that's an insane wet loose

Anyone who wants to tic Snow Creek off their list better be damn skilled and experienced, no thanks.

Thanks, Mr. oaks,

Good reminder/illustration(!), and glad those guys were able to figure out they needed help and called it. Hard to imagine the one guy getting stripped of his gear and breaking helmet w/out injuries!

This was a good callout in the report:
    "It is also worth noting that when traveling in high-risk mountain terrain, wearing bright colors greatly helps being spotted if a rescue is ever needed. It took a little while to find the subjects since they were wearing all dark clothing and blended in with the rocks and terrain."

Had a good friend killed on Snow Creek years ago. He was training for Everest. His good friend was with him at the time and later scattered some of his ashes on the top of Everest.

Damn! If Riverside Mountain Rescue doesn't get some donations based on this documentation, I don't know what it would take.

What a wild video of that wet slide!

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by srface_hoar View Post
    Had a good friend killed on Snow Creek years ago. He was training for Everest. His good friend was with him at the time and later scattered some of his ashes on the top of Everest.
    Sorry about your friend J, damn.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    This was a good callout in the report:
    "It is also worth noting that when traveling in high-risk mountain terrain, wearing bright colors greatly helps being spotted if a rescue is ever needed. It took a little while to find the subjects since they were wearing all dark clothing and blended in with the rocks and terrain."
    406 seems to always be wearing a fluorescent orange t-shirt over his clothes in the BC, not a bad policy. Reflective tape on helmets is probably good too, unless you plan to be in lots of photos taken with a flash.

[QUOTE=1000-oaks;5977088]Sorry about your friend J, damn.

Both were patrollers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    406 seems to always be wearing a fluorescent orange t-shirt over his clothes in the BC, not a bad policy.
    Several reason most of my clothes are so bright..but mostly, those always seem to be the colors on sale :-).

Safety too and always dress bright when going solo. They do look better in photos and I like the bright colors. I have a few of those orange bike jerseys from one of my favorite breweries that I wear over base layer sale rack for $10 each.

Some random backcountry skier this year told me that all the Dad's seem to have bright jackets. He seemed to think baby mamas made dads get the bright colors for safety. Some people do seem to be offended if you are not in Earth tones...not like I'm blasting Slayer in the skin track.

[QUOTE=srface_hoar;5982276]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Both were patrollers.
    Found the info, so close to #7.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Safety too and always dress bright when going solo.
    Really good idea, Hanes has their safety orange CoolDri shirts on sale for super cheap. Neon yellow probably doesn't stand out as well against snow. Reflective tape on the helmet would also be wise.

Surprised these guys trammed and dropped it from the top. Seems like a huge gamble on the conditions, if even if you're prepared to overnight or climb back out.
    http://www.sierradescents.com/skiing...now-creek.html

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    ... Some people do seem to be offended if you are not in Earth tones...not like I'm blasting Slayer in the skin track.
    My buddies who insist on wearing muted colors in whiteout conditions really piss me off. Count me in the "bright for safety" crowd.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music