Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PSA: Dynastar F-team Pro Riders for $360

On Corbett's. All you Pro Rider fanboys better stock up.

If you're not a fanboy, now's your chance to become a man.

I Soo wish these came in a 185ish length.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    I Soo wish these came in a 185ish length.

X 2. The big boy length is too long for my local mountain and makes my knees hurt.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

BM, what's the next closest ski out there? Eventually gonna have to replace my Qlab's in the mini me 183cm size. I know you have tried a few.

He who has the most fun wins!

BM, what's the next closest ski out there? Eventually gonna have to replace my Qlab's in the mini me 183cm size. I know you have tried a few.

The Volkl Mantra M102 has similar characteristics. I think the LP is much more ski and probably more damp, but I liked the M102 so much in the 184 I bought a pair.
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 04-27-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I liked the M102 so much in the 184 I bought a pair.
    of course you did

There isn’t, Pro Riders are in a category of their own

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mindbender 108 comes to mind

Maybe the Stormrider 105 (Stormrider 95 is a lot like the OGLP)

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Mindbender 108 comes to mind

Maybe the Stormrider 105 (Stormrider 95 is a lot like the OGLP)
    MB108ti isn’t even close to similar to the Pro Rider. You need to ski the 108ti, the Pro Rider you World Cup downhiller legs to ski them, if not you stand on them and ask them nicely to turn, and if they want to, you get lucky. You can boss the 108ti around in all places, not the 108ti

"next closest," you goon.

Do it!

Especially if you have access to reasonably big, alpine terrain.

Perfect snowbird daily driver

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    "next closest," you goon.
    I’d say Cochise over MB108.

I do need to work on not being such a goon. It’s an issue. Sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’d say Cochise over MB108.

I do need to work on not being such a goon. It’s an issue. Sorry guys

Goon is good!

And just to try to talk someone off the fence, the Pro Riders have a friendly side, too: They allow less gifted, non uber-athletes to surpass themselves. I was never a super racer, don't have massive legs/arse, and only ski 30-40 days a year, but the PRs allow me to ski at an acceptable level.

I kinda think that the pro feels like the Monster 108...

Here is the difference between the LP and the others. The LP was perfect in the OG 97-mm waist model. It went to a 100-mm then 105-mm waist but it never got ruined. Even the LP XXL variant was so good from the start. So damp, so loose, so much of a charger. Monster 108 and Cochise are solid...but still not the LP pedigree of being so balanced.

Here is the difference between the LP and the others. The LP was perfect in the OG 97-mm waist model. It went to a 100-mm then 105-mm waist but it never got ruined. Even the LP XXL variant was so good from the start. So damp, so loose, so much of a charger. Monster 108 and Cochise are solid...but still not the LP pedigree of being so balanced.
    This is a better way to put how good/unique the PR/LP105 is. I love the PR/LP105, it is damp, loose, and a charger, just wish it weight a pound less per ski, but then it wouldn’t be nearly the same ski, but more like the Cochise or MB108ti

this was the right answer
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Head Monster with subtle tip rocker a la LP would be very interesting.

It’s pretty funny that they still have these

Had a backup pair to mine in the cart nearly a week, went in today to see they still have a few pair left on there and that's a great price IMO, especially for a ski that's not been easy to find.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

... but how do they compare to the MX98?

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    ... but how do they compare to the MX98?
    PR/LP105 are a class of their own, or I haven’t been on anything that is even close. Nothing else in the 103-108ish width comes even close to the feel of the PR/LP105. They are so stable, so good on hard pack, groomers, pow, chop, all of the above, that they just stand out from anything else. Tight trees you really need to ski them hard, cause they are a big ski, but outside that, beat ski in that category for resort skiing, in and out of bounds. I might just have to get another pair and deal with the weight on hikes.

MX98 is the top of the 90-100 all mountain carver/charger class. They compare to the Bonafide, Monster 98, etc, and are just better. They are held back by their design, widest part of the tip and tail are at the very ends. In pow, up to 8ish inches, they work, but it’s work and you have to be on your game. It’s probably why I don’t grab them as often as I should. Side note, I don’t have a locker at the resort any more so the skis I bring are the skis I’m using all day. I need to either man up and make them work in up to 8ish inches, or get a locker at the resort again cause too many days I want to rip inbounds on the MX98, but not OB.

Last edited by skibrd; 05-05-2020 at 01:18 AM.

PR/LP105 are a class of their own, or I haven’t been on anything that is even close. Nothing else in the 103-108ish width comes even close to the feel of the PR/LP105. They are so stable, so good on hard pack, groomers, pow, chop, all of the above, that they just stand out from anything else. Tight trees you really need to ski them hard, cause they are a big ski, but outside that, beat ski in that category for resort skiing, in and out of bounds. I might just have to get another pair and deal with the weight on hikes.

MX98 is the top of the 90-100 all mountain carver/charger class. They compare to the Bonafide, Monster 98, etc, and are just better. They are held back by their design, widest part of the tip and tail are at the very ends. In pow, up to 8ish inches, they work, but it’s work and you have to be on your game. It’s probably why I don’t grab them as often as I should. Side note, I don’t have a locker at the resort any more so the skis I bring are the skis I’m using all day. I need to either man up and make them work in up to 8ish inches, or get a locker at the resort again cause too many days I want to rip inbounds on the MX98, but not OB.

Speaking of the seemingly insane idea of mounting PRs with light touring bindings, what is the consensus re heavy ski/light binding vs lighter ski/heavier bindings? Will scroll through the 'how heavy is you touring setup' thread, but this thread will have the attention of heavy-ski lovers.

Most of my skiing is at NZ club fields, and many lines are reached via rope tows and hiking. There is, however, some insane terrain accessible via short skins (mostly less than 1hr). The skiing is the same: variable snow, steep, fast - and Pro Riders are so good there.

I'm thinking of getting a backup pair, and why not insert them for ATK14s for 5-10 touring days a year?

Very keen to hear your opinions and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Speaking of the seemingly insane idea of mounting PRs with light touring bindings, what is the consensus re heavy ski/light binding vs lighter ski/heavier bindings? Will scroll through the 'how heavy is you touring setup' thread, but this thread will have the attention of heavy-ski lovers.

Most of my skiing is at NZ club fields, and many lines are reached via rope tows and hiking. There is, however, some insane terrain accessible via short skins (mostly less than 1hr). The skiing is the same: variable snow, steep, fast - and Pro Riders are so good there.

I'm thinking of getting a backup pair, and why not insert them for ATK14s for 5-10 touring days a year?

Very keen to hear your opinions and ideas.
    https://www.powder.com/gear-locker/h...bout-bindings/

Heavy bindings, light skis. Personally, I can make up for crappy skis if I’m comfortable with the rest of my set up. Yeah I might not be able to straight like a 1000ft couloir at 90mph, but I can pick my way down safely, which to me is more important. I skied a run on, I think they were the Kastle FX 106, the grey and green replacement for the BMX 105, and they sucked. It’s one of the worst skis I’ve ever been on, but I had good bindings and by good boots, and was able to pick my way done safely.

Or this is my currently philosophy. Probably touring on Dynastar Cham 95 HMs and K2 MB116C next winter, both with CAST. I do have a pair of Kingpins on MB116C, but they don’t get much use, really only mellow pow skipping/skinning up Snow King.