Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I see it selling better as a 191 than a 186 but what do I know

If someone wants to start a poll for either or both sizes, I can hook Keith up with the engineering and we could make whichever size hits 25 first - as long as those are solid orders.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...66#post5972466

Here's a discussion/poll thread I made. Kinda spat out a bunch of ski ideas that have been bouncing around my head for while, but I am certainly not a ski designer. I think a Kusala re-press would be sweet, not sure I have a real spot for one in my quiver with Protests though. I'd still probably snag a pair if we do a collab.

If we can get 25 'Yes' votes for a Kusala repress I'm sure Keith would be stoked to do another collab run, I think the Lhasa Pow Fat collab skis turned out awesome. I would love to see a new crowd-sourced ski design come out of TGR though, might as well do something useful in quarantine!

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    When the economy crashed, I was just starting to perfect carbon fiber skis. A lot of companies were building bottom dollar trash and/or pressing in China. I couldn't let go of the carbon fiber dream because I loved the performance of both the hybrids and the pures. They were for real skiers and the better someone skied, the more they loved them. That was great affirmation, but it didn't pencil out. The whole ski line warranted mass production. I poured $500K of my own money, in addition to a lot of investor money, into the effort. Also, I never took a wage for ten plus years of work because it always felt like we were a heartbeat away from getting to a point of mass manufacturing and distribution. Believe me, my social security checks suck because of that 10 years. Oh, well. Keith will build them if there are enough orders. We talked about it months ago.
    pat: maybe 8 or 9 years ago you sent me some base material for my core-shot lhasa proto's i'd obtained in trade (i think with powdork). having been successful using gorilla epoxy for a smaller repair on the fats i'd obtained in same trade (100+ days on that repair) i finally gave the lhasa's a go last spring.
    the patch held, and once again i was enjoying my favorite ski ever in late season pow and in the spring corn.
    what i didn't expect was to love the skis all the more - railing with confidence on early season hardpack.
    except for the fats (which i prefer in tightest of EC woods) i skied nearly every other run in my last 55 days on the lhasa's....and they continue to amaze, and bring great happiness. i skied them on the night of march 12, just after the announcement that all major sports, places of assembly had been shut down. riding the chair at the empty ski area, i had a queasy sense that the world was changing profoundly. on the rides down i dispensed with the tunes and locked into the moment, savored every single turn, and let 'em run, hooting and hollering, knowing there might not be much more skiing for a while (indeed closing day would follow on the 15th)

i haven't bought new skis in several years but if a run is in the offing i'd certainly lean IN (191)!

i'm sorry your fantastic skis didn't yield the financial reward that was much deserved. i feel so fortunate to be on the lhasa's again.

i got them out two days ago after a 44 day lockdown. funky late season snow. handled with playful ease!
    maybe one more outing tomorrow.

best regards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61723858-5243-4DBA-8340-E754ED3C6A4B.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	693.5 KB 
ID:	327035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F29040A6-38A9-447E-9787-A1566F59115A.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	654.7 KB 
ID:	327036
    Last edited by buckethead; 05-01-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    pat: maybe 8 or 9 years ago you sent me some base material for my core-shot lhasa proto's i'd obtained in trade (i think with powdork). having been successful using gorilla epoxy for a smaller repair on the fats i'd obtained in same trade (100+ days on that repair) i finally gave the lhasa's a go last spring.
    the patch held, and once again i was enjoying my favorite ski ever in late season pow and in the spring corn.
    what i didn't expect was to love the skis all the more - railing with confidence on early season hardpack.
    except for the fats (which i prefer in tightest of EC woods) i skied nearly every other run in my last 55 days on the lhasa's....and they continue to amaze, and bring great happiness. i skied them on the night of march 12, just after the announcement that all major sports, places of assembly had been shut down. riding the chair at the empty ski area, i had a queasy sense that the world was changing profoundly. on the rides down i dispensed with the tunes and locked into the moment, savored every single turn, and let 'em run, hooting and hollering, knowing there might not be much more skiing for a while (indeed closing day would follow on the 15th)

i haven't bought new skis in several years but if a run is in the offing i'd certainly lean IN (191)!

i'm sorry your fantastic skis didn't yield the financial reward that was much deserved. i feel so fortunate to be on the lhasa's again.

i got them out two days ago after a 44 day lockdown. funky late season snow. handled with playful ease!
    maybe one more outing tomorrow.

best regards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61723858-5243-4DBA-8340-E754ED3C6A4B.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	693.5 KB 
ID:	327035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F29040A6-38A9-447E-9787-A1566F59115A.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	654.7 KB 
ID:	327036
    You're in on 191 Kusala?
    If so, go to the thread in Techtalk and state that you are in!
    Let's make this shit happen !

Thanks, man. Way to make them last. I'm sure powdork prolly put 150 days or more on them. Dude's a ski killing beast.

Tuco - which forum is better for me to start a sale thread - gs or tt???

WTB: PM Gear Kusala Lhasa Pow or Similar

Pat so far looks like there are about 12 people who would be in for a 191 Kusula repress from the thread I made in TT. I threw out some other ski ideas in the thread I was interested in, but seems like Kusala is the clear mag ski of choice, which sounds great to me anyways haha.

Can keep that thread going to tally interest then reach out to the people who have posted about preorders, or make an actual preorder thread in GS. Whatever is easiest for you.

I imagine it’s worth talking to Keith about what kind of options he’s willing to do on the run - should they all be the same build/layup?

Or do the same thing we did with the Lhasa Fat collab, offering choice of flex, core, carbon, and veneer.

I’m sure people would like to be able to choose if possible (myself included) but more a question for Keith if he’s willing to do that

I have the last Lhasa Fat's Keith made with Splats input. Do I need Kusala's too?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Only if you want a completely insane other pow ski that will be completely unlike the Lhasa. Not necessarily better, imho, but very different and perhaps much easier to manage in the soft, extremely intuitive as well. About the time you think about a turn, the ski is turning. I guess that decribes it.

Muggydude - prolly be easier to start a pre-order thread to make it easy to keep track of interest and I'll talk to Keith this week. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Only if you want a completely insane other pow ski that will be completely unlike the Lhasa. Not necessarily better, imho, but very different and perhaps much easier to manage in the soft, extremely intuitive as well. About the time you think about a turn, the ski is turning. I guess that decribes it.

Muggydude - prolly be easier to start a pre-order thread to make it easy to keep track of interest and I'll talk to Keith this week. Thanks.
    I hate you But I am in for 191's
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'm interested in some 191s but money for skis is tight. I would have to know the price before committing to a pair.

Jumped on the Praxis Lhasa fat last year and in for the Kusala 191

I’m interested. How does a Kusula fit into a quiver that already has a protest...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Is there something that behaves like a Kusala, but skinnier? (~110mm)
    Would this be the forthcoming Heritage Labs FR 110?

Would this be the forthcoming Heritage Labs FR 110?
    Oops, I thought this semi-necrobump was in Tech Talk.
    But my question stands

Is there something that behaves like a Kusala, but skinnier? (~110mm)
    I’ve skied the original PM Gear, the reissued Praxis Kusala, and the Rossignol sickle, and they are all pretty similarly dialed in. The OG kusala is less beefy than the sickle, and the new kusala less still, but longer, and the weight ends up being nearly identical (2220g) on all, due to this. The maneuverability of these skis are top notch.

The Heritage Labs FR110 is intended to match the performance characteristics of the sickle, so in answer to your question, I’d say yes, if it comes out right, it’s gonna be your huckleberry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk