Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mezzer pro fork....anyone have experience?

That nsmb.com review seems to echo what I’ve been hearing about this 37 mm fork. I’m in the market for a 160 travel 29er trailderpo fork, so....

I got one last month. Only one mellow ride on dirt so far and I'm not allowed to ride it in a way that does it justice yet so don't expect a proper review anytime soon. It eats curbs like nothing when riding around the neighborhood though.

It’s supposedly the stiffest chassis in this category. And the IRT design seems legit. My only hesitation is several reports of premature bushing slop.

If you find yourself in SLC and want to demo one you can take mine for a spin. Mine's 27.5 though. You can also borrow the whole bike if you want, though I'm pretty short so if you're taller than 5-8 that probably won't work either.

I've run Mattocs in 27.5 and 29er for 2 years with IRT. Andrew at NSMB told me the Mezzer's IRT mid stroke support is as good as the Mattoc. That's a ringing endorsement

Thx Dan, I do get out to SLC semi regularly (pre Covid anyway) but I’m 6’3” so.....

I have no doubt that the IRT’s adjustability will get me the plush off the top yet supported mid stroke nirvana. But several independent reports on bushing wear (or tolerance issues when new) give me slight hesitation. It’s only money, may go for it. Thx Lee for the info.

I'm looking for a new fork and I'm definitely considering the Mezzer Pro vs Lyrik vs Fox 36. What makes the Mezzer Pro better than the other two forks? It's lighter, stiffer and you don't need an air shaft to change the travel. But does it ride any better than the competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I'm looking for a new fork and I'm definitely considering the Mezzer Pro vs Lyrik vs Fox 36. What makes the Mezzer Pro better than the other two forks? It's lighter, stiffer and you don't need an air shaft to change the travel. But does it ride any better than the competition?
    For me it's that I needed and wanted a fork that's fairly light in action off the top, then ramps up quickly in the mid-stroke and then had a lot of bottom out action resistance. I got that with the Mattoc 27.5 from 2017 and was happy enough to get another Mattoc 29er in 2018. I can't speak to the later RS and Fox products.

I should have one showing up this week. I'll post some initial impressions once I've been able to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    For me it's that I needed and wanted a fork that's fairly light in action off the top, then ramps up quickly in the mid-stroke and then had a lot of bottom out action resistance. I got that with the Mattoc 27.5 from 2017 and was happy enough to get another Mattoc 29er in 2018. I can't speak to the later RS and Fox products.
    Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I’m in the market for a 160 travel 29er trailderpo fork, so....
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-36-170mm-fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Initial impressions after 5 rides on the Mezzer:

-The chassis stiffness is great. Clearly, no question stiffer than the 36 (caveat: I haven't ridden the brand new one) and I think stiffer than a Lyric, but I haven't ridden one of those as recently so I'm a little fuzzier on that.
    -Midstroke support is also outstanding. Credit to the IRT spring arrangement for that I think. It makes sense; you can basically get the spring to ramp up harder through the midstroke, without then continuing to ramp up crazy hard deeper in the travel and making it unusable.
    -I don't have the fork feeling as good as I'd like on chattery high speed stuff yet (think lots of roots at speed) but also am still messing with tuning and am definitely not ready to say that I can't make it good yet. It's by no means terrible, but I haven't found the right balance of compression settings to keep it feeling composed on bigger hits without feeling a bit spiky and harsh in more chattery situations.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Initial impressions after 5 rides on the Mezzer:

-The chassis stiffness is great. Clearly, no question stiffer than the 36 (caveat: I haven't ridden the brand new one) and I think stiffer than a Lyric, but I haven't ridden one of those as recently so I'm a little fuzzier on that.
    -Midstroke support is also outstanding. Credit to the IRT spring arrangement for that I think. It makes sense; you can basically get the spring to ramp up harder through the midstroke, without then continuing to ramp up crazy hard deeper in the travel and making it unusable.
    -I don't have the fork feeling as good as I'd like on chattery high speed stuff yet (think lots of roots at speed) but also am still messing with tuning and am definitely not ready to say that I can't make it good yet. It's by no means terrible, but I haven't found the right balance of compression settings to keep it feeling composed on bigger hits without feeling a bit spiky and harsh in more chattery situations.
    I found the Mattoc IFP very sensitive to small differences in pressure and borrowed a digital shock pump for setup

I’ve also heard a digital shock pump is helpful on these.

I pulled trigger on the mezzer pro...hope to get it in 2 weeks or so.

If you read the Fox claims on 36 vs 38 stiffness, and if you read Manitou claims on stiffness relative to unnamed forks that are obviously Lyrik and 36....you’ll conclude the Mezzer is comparable stiffness to fox 38.

I do have a new uncut steerer Manitou Mattoc Pro 3 27.5 fork if anyone is interested. 160mm travel. $400? Haven't even checked what they're selling for

Hmm might be interested Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I do have a new uncut steerer Manitou Mattoc Pro 3 27.5 fork if anyone is interested. 160mm travel. $400? Haven't even checked what they're selling for
    Still available?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Still available?
    Yup

Took my Mezzer out for it's first ride this morning and all I can say is WOW. This is how a fork is supposed to feel. Most recently I've been riding a Lyrik RC2 with the 2.1 damper.

Mezzer:
    -Doesn't spike. The Lyrik freaking sucked in this category.
    -Great small bump compliance.
    -Can run rebound a little faster without getting tossed around, more composure.
    -I can run 20% sag and it smashes rocks like a monster truck while staying in the midstroke. The Lyrik was super harsh at 20% sag and dove too much at 30% sag.

I've also tried a Ribbon and Ribbon Coil and the Mezzer is light years better than those forks. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd changed anything about it. It's that good. Hopefully it ends up being durable as well.

Settings:
    Weight: 150lbs
    Travel: 160mm
    PSI: 44/70
    HSC: one click from open
    LSC: 4 clicks from open (not sure how much this does)
    Rebound: 5 clicks from open

I started with 49/80 psi based on the guide, but it felt a little firm in the garage. I'll give it a try on the trail, but based on my first ride, I'm not sure I need to increase air pressure.

Nice dude! I'm sure Gunder will be along shortly to tell you you're wrong and it actually sucks.

Yeah pretty impressed with my Mezzer Pro 160 29er so far. Pretty much right in the middle of the ‘enduro’ settings they recommended for a 190 lb rider. IRT works. 2090 g actual weight with axle, uncut steerer.

The steering precision reminded me of my old Totem. Unperturbed.

I'm finally able to ride fast enough that I can start getting a feeling for what this fork and my Mara Pro are capable of. Brake bumps on the local XC trails have reached "I'm not even mad, I'm impressed" levels and they were just disappearing last night. Very noticeable improvement over the Pike (Charger2/Debonair) and DVO Topaz I had before.

My cornering confidence is simply terrible. Hearing my tires break traction triggers a mini panic attack.

Thanks for the commentary y'all. Just pulled the trigger on a Mezzer for 27.5, 37mm offset. It's set for 180, but I will drop it to 170 for comparison with existing 36 Performance Elite. Looks easy per Manitou's website.

Was debating between (1) Fox 38, ease of service/rebuild/parts and stiff chassis, (2) dropping a Smashpot into the 36, (3) adding a Secus, or (4) Mezzer.

Going on a Patrol. Use is everyday trail riding, a few enduro races, 5-10 days at the bike park, riding with my 8-year old daughters, and casing jumps.

$800 USD currently on Manitou's website. https://hayesbicycle.com/collections...32139567824941

That absurd price sealed the deal. Lighter-weight, stiff, easy lowers/oil service, IRT air spring, HBO... all sound excellent. Setup sounds kinda annoying, but hoping that's the only drawback.
    sproing!

Nice! Yeah, the deals Hayes is running right now on all their stuff are crazy good. Still loving mine.

Loving mine also. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get to where I wanted but now that I'm there the thing is gold. I'm running pressures that are quite a bit lower than the recommended settings for a really supple feel and have worked my way back to about the same pace I was on my previous bike. The main difference is that I used to get sketchy as hell all the time with the old rig and barely survive chunky sections whereas now I float through them, not any faster but much more composed (and safe). The fork has definitely gotten me out of a couple of mistakes that would have ended with my face in the dirt of my wrist snapping in half again if I had been on previous bike.
    Caveat: I come from a FOX34 so my reference point is rather noodly.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise