Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Got my Mezzer Pro a few weeks ago and have it installed. Coming from the Mattoc Pro there is quite a bit of effort needed to start the fork moving. I'm guessing the bushings are right and will break in, but has anybody else experienced this? The Mattoc required almost no effort to start it moving translating to amazing small bump sensitivity.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I think the Blister review mentioned that as well.

My Mezzer pro was supple right away but I’ve heard some required break in.

Selling my 27.5 Mezzer. Freshly serviced by the factory, and new CSA. Asking $525+ship.

I got another Mezzer for another bike with 29", so this one has to go.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3279084/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Selling my 27.5 Mezzer. Freshly serviced by the factory, and new CSA. Asking $525+ship.

I got another Mezzer for another bike with 29", so this one has to go.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3279084/

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I think they adjust down to 140mm don't they? Or is that just the 29er version? Your PB add states 150-180.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I think they adjust down to 140mm don't they? Or is that just the 29er version? Your PB add states 150-180.
    Ah good looking out - yep it's 140-180, which is just ridiculous. Thanks for the catch!
    sproing!

FYI, Hayes/Manitou is running a sale, with Mezzer 20% off. Get some!

Running my new Mezzer at 160 for a heavy bike (Orbea Rise) with 29" wheels - and I freaking love the MeZZZZZer. So much support, so smooth, and that beautiful damp firmity - like a Volkl of forks.

The other day my buddy hopped off his 21 SC Hightower with a 20 Fox 36 Factory and onto my Rise. Within seconds, he's losing his mind over how much better the Mezzer was than his fork. Maybe it was the difference in service, not sure, but he was blown away.
    sproing!

Anyone tried the Mezzer Expert? I can get an Expert for about $400 less than the Pro, wondering if the difference is worth it for a "set it and forget it" rider like me. This'll be replacing a 160 Fox 38 on a new Ripmo (looking to drop some weight).

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Anyone tried the Mezzer Expert? I can get an Expert for about $400 less than the Pro, wondering if the difference is worth it for a "set it and forget it" rider like me. This'll be replacing a 160 Fox 38 on a new Ripmo (looking to drop some weight).
    Buddy of mine bought one and eventually dropped an IRT in it to get more adjustability. Now he has a Mezzer semi-pro with a lower performance damper and he's grumbling about it.
    You can get a pro for under $800 from Starbike right now. I have one coming cause I can't help myself...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

100% recommend waiting until you can get the fully monty - the IRT is where the magic happens.

You can often find the Pro on 20% off. Well worth it.
    sproing!

Thanks, ordered a Pro from Starbike (need to reduce travel from 180 to 160 but it looks like that isn't a big deal). Nice to have a strong dollar vs. the euro.

Thanks, ordered a Pro from Starbike (need to reduce travel from 180 to 160 but it looks like that isn't a big deal). Nice to have a strong dollar vs. the euro.
    Travel adjustment is super easy on the Mezzer, you don't even have to drain/refill oil, 15 minute/1 beer job. Although it's usually worth checking the innards of the fork to make sure it's not dry, some of the forks come out of assembly with barely any grease.

Agree with meter-man that the IRT is key. So much adjustability... I have the fork at 150 mm on a trail bike with an air shock and at 170 mm on the enduro pig with a coil. It's hard to believe it's the same fork honestly.

It is just insane how good the Mezzer performs once you figure out the main and IRT pressures. Also make sure you put in a bit of suspension oil on top of the IRT assembly. Makes the initial plushness even plusher.

I was riding 6 hr days at Mammoth, no arm or hand fatigue.

Have any of you rebuilt your own? I sent it back to Manitou for a rebuild over the winter and it doesn't feel as good. Have been backing off the pressures a little from what worked with the Hightower and it seems to be getting better...

I'm wondering if I ought to open it up and take a look.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Getting Fox service or just parts has sucked for years, so I definitely factor in user serviceability when buying shocks (I’ll never get an X2) or forks. I might’ve mentioned this upthread, but the NSMB review highlighted the serviceability of the Mezzer Pro and it’s definitely good in that dept IME. I purged cartridge oil this summer and it was pretty easy to get rid of any bubbles thx to the dual port design.

I suggest you pull lowers and do a quick grease and oil change, and then pull the IRT and put a couple cc’s above the irt disc like I suggd above. 20 minutes of work max.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Have any of you rebuilt your own? I sent it back to Manitou for a rebuild over the winter and it doesn't feel as good. Have been backing off the pressures a little from what worked with the Hightower and it seems to be getting better...

I'm wondering if I ought to open it up and take a look.
    Yes, open it and service the lowers. My experience with the fork is that if it starts feeling stiffer and staying too high in its travel for no apparent reason it's because it's getting dry and/or dirty.

Frorider has it right, a lowers service is barely a 2-beer job. Get yourself a tube of slickoleum and some Motorex oil (SAE 5W40, you can find a quart for under $20) and you're good to go. No specialty tool needed to get the fork back to feeling perfect (and no need to buy fancy oil either).
    The damper service is a touch more involved but if you invest in the bleed kit it's fairly similar to the 2-syringe bleed procedure used on Hayes brakes. The hardest thing is the setup and figuring out how to do a job that seemingly requires 3 hands with only 2.
    Realistically the damper service is something you don't need very often, I ran my fork for 2000 miles before doing it and there was 0 loss in performance from the damper. I service the lowers more often and I think I'd rather do that than bleed brakes...

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Also make sure you put in a bit of suspension oil on top of the IRT assembly. Makes the initial plushness even plusher.
    So you syringe a couple CCs of semi-batch oil on top of the floating piston of the IRT before screwing the whole assembly back in? Interesting, I'll have to give it a try next time I pull mine. I usually put a bit of slickoleum on the shaft and the piston itself as recommended by Hayes but never tried anything else.

Yes, just put in the oil as you described (in addition to the light grease on the IRT shaft).

I should mention that most of us have a bleed kit already for the Manitou damper: your dot bleed kit. The threaded syringe tips are the same you use for various non shimano disc brakes.

Of course you’ll want to very thoroughly clean the syringes before and after.

A bike repair stand with the clamp in vertical position works fine to hold the damper as you bleed it. The Manitou instructions are helpful.

I've had a few rides on my Mezzer Pro on a hardtail I built up. Set it to 130mm of travel because... why not? The first ride I completely guessed on the IRT and main chamber air pressures, because 130 is outside of what Manitou officially supports. It felt great, but small bump sensitivity and support wasn't great (I hit the bottom-out damper hard on a g-out and it definitely has a unique feeling). Fiddled with the high and low speed compression some and it seems to be a lot better. Haven't touched the air pressures yet, but that will be the next step.

I know it's super overkill for the travel it's set at, but honestly it doesn't feel much different weight-wise to the Fox34 I'm coming off of, and it is so much more supportive and precise. With Fox's fit4 damper I had to give up a few cm of travel to get the support I wanted. Even with some tuning still to do, that doesn't seem to be the case with the Mezzer

Is everyone still happy with their Mezzer Pro? I’m also considering the new 2023 Lyrik, but some reviews are not all positive. Either will be set to 160mm. Thoughts?

Edit: Impulsiveness got me and I just picked up a Fox factory 36. Not being able to bump the new Lyrik to 170mm is definitely a downside IMO.
    Last edited by g_man80; 10-16-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Mezzer pro fork....anyone have experience?

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Is everyone still happy with their Mezzer Pro? I’m also considering the new 2023 Lyrik, but some reviews are not all positive. Either will be set to 160mm. Thoughts?
    I love how it rides, but I’ve had two creaking crowns and some loose bushings in the 3 forks I’ve owned. None of them has lasted a year without issue.

I’ve reluctantly concluded that the long travel SC 29er forks end up creaking eventually. Fox obviously, but also sram and manitou.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I’ve reluctantly concluded that the long travel SC 29er forks end up creaking eventually. Fox obviously, but also sram and manitou.
    Yeah. All that leverage winds up undefeated eventually. I've killed at least one CSU in each of the Zeb, 38, and Mezzer.

Edit: Impulsiveness got me and I just picked up a Fox factory 36. Not being able to bump the new Lyrik to 170mm is definitely a downside IMO.
    I just picked up a 2023 Lyrik, after a handful of rides I would say it's best in class but not life changing. I have it set at 160mm and feel if you need 170mm of travel you should probably go bigger...
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I'm still thrilled with mine. I bought it after riding a buddy's. Ordered one the next day and sold my Factory 38.
    I've had none of the creaking issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.